I bought a 2006 CRF450R and polished it up

DF313
Fantasy
2455th
Edited Date/Time 5/25/2018 4:51pm
I always wanted to do a bike build, but certainly don't have the resources that some of these posters do, either way there is something entertaining in watching a crusty dirk bike turn clean. So I found (what I thought) was a good deal, and the process goes as follows. Guy I bought it from said it sat, in the garage unused for 6 years, registration showed it's last year in 2012.

2006 CRF450R $1000. "ran great before the piston wore out, all it needs is a new piston and cylinder" As I have, and you will now find out, that was far from all it needed, but I was determined to do this.

Ill try to keep this short.

tore it all down to the frame and cleaned a bunch of stuff, in no particular order this is what we have...

hungry chain damage

this bolt was toast, had to get creative to remove it

the exhaust was unusually light, a quick tap on it revealed it had its packing completely removed. I can imagine myself not being friends with this bikes previous owner

the amount of missing and/or wrongly used bolts and fasteners on this bike was unreal! Here is a non matching bolt for the cam.

you could do this, or just buy the $3 replacement part. Luckily the head wasn't the damaged part.

They used that new sanded grease for the bearings here I guess, but surprisingly they cleaned right up

Chromed out frame before and cleaned up brushed look after

Before and after carb stuff

new cylinder, piston, intake valves, and its all back together

some random cleaned parts

broken rear brake cylinder

and the ultimate sign of negligence, the lone grip on the bars was a Yamaha grip...

After all my parts I had to order I am at about $1000 for the bike and $1000 in parts, there were so many missing parts, got tons from Partzilla, and a few from ebay, even a full Yosh RS2 exhaust with titanium header for only $100.

Here I am putting it all back together, started right up, ran great should need some minor carb adjustments, I didn't want to spend more money on plastics and graphics till I could break it in and knew it was a solid bike.

Enjoy
|
FWYT
5/23/2018 11:28pm
Nice!! It's rewarding to bring a bike back. But also it can be frustrating cuz you want to strangle the prior
owner for being such and idiot. LaughingLaughingLaughing
DF313
Fantasy
2455th
5/25/2018 3:54pm Edited Date/Time 5/25/2018 3:54pm
Great job cleaning everything. Did you vapor blast or something else?
Thanks, no I mostly used simple green and a scrub brush or 3M pad. The Simplegreen did a much better job at clearing grease and dirt than I anticipated. In tough spots i used contact cleaner as well. On the frame i used wd40 and a 3M to get the brushed aluminum look.

The Shop

dean122
5/25/2018 4:11pm Edited Date/Time 5/25/2018 4:16pm
Great job on the build and your daughter builds a mean tricycle too! The 2006 CRF450r holds a special place in my heart and no matter how many bikes I continue to purchase, mine will stay in my stable forever.

One bit of advice that could go a long way and prevent possible future headaches and this would apply to most CRF owners is to swap out the 2 oil filter cover bolts for titanium. The soft stock bolts especially the long one loves to twist off and snap inside case threads. I did the same with my engine and tranny drain bolts, but that's more preference.
DF313
Fantasy
2455th
5/25/2018 4:49pm
dean122 wrote:
Great job on the build and your daughter builds a mean tricycle too! The 2006 CRF450r holds a special place in my heart and no matter...
Great job on the build and your daughter builds a mean tricycle too! The 2006 CRF450r holds a special place in my heart and no matter how many bikes I continue to purchase, mine will stay in my stable forever.

One bit of advice that could go a long way and prevent possible future headaches and this would apply to most CRF owners is to swap out the 2 oil filter cover bolts for titanium. The soft stock bolts especially the long one loves to twist off and snap inside case threads. I did the same with my engine and tranny drain bolts, but that's more preference.
Yeah I hear lots of praises for the 06-08 bikes, I know I could never ride any bike to a point that I felt it necessary to upgrade every year, so this will be a lot of fun. I will do that with the bolts, LOTS of stripped out threads on this bike already, but luckily the most important ones were in tact, or a solid substitute was made. Yeah, if that wasn't sped up she was out here a good hour wrenching on that thing!
DF313
Fantasy
2455th
5/25/2018 4:51pm Edited Date/Time 5/25/2018 4:53pm
Here are a photo of the final bike, that I failed to include, and apparently can't add to the original post?

Took it out for a test and the forks leak like crazy, so I should have just done them before like I intended, I guess haste does make waste. I think its solid enough I can get some red plastic back on and a decent graphics kit!

Post a reply to: I bought a 2006 CRF450R and polished it up

The Latest