2006 YZ125 build

Forrest795
Edited Date/Time 8/24/2018 4:40pm
So let’s start off with the basic’s here. I’ve seen all the magizines do these builds and well needless to say I had a itch that just wouldn’t go away. I would think of all the amazing times as a kid growing up racing with friends and moving up thru the bikes from a crf50 up to that magical 125. Something about the 125 has this super hero feel to it so here I am. Cut to two weeks ago when I finally found my base for my project build a 2006 yz125. I found it about two hours away from my house in Santa Barbra and went with cash hoping the guy would take what I had in hand or I’d leave empty handed (I knew I was low balling for what he was asking) but he took it and I walked away at 2500 bucks out of pocket. It was listed at 3000 but knowing what kbb has it listed at 2200 I felt safe with the small add ons it already had on it (levers, exhaust... that’s a couple hundred worth already) so I made the offer for it. He took it and I ended up with a solid base bike. She’s not perfect n it’s a full strip down and refurb bike but isn’t that what craigslist bikes are? So in the last week I’ve had just enough time after work each day to strip her down to the frame and slowly move thru the seemingly never ending list of parts I will need to get her going at the top of her game again ( prolly another 2500 in parts alone). If im into this bike even let’s say 6400 bucks with all my own preferences like my yz250 which I bought new I’ll feel like I’m coming away with a good deal. I mean really we all know these bikes haven’t changed much since 2006 so let’s just say I think for the cost of a new bike I can have one done up for the same price. I’m new to this forum thing but a avid vital mx reader! Will be posting as she progresses thru the build

This has to be the worst stem bearings a may have ever seen

|
Stevehrc
7/15/2018 8:50pm
That has alot of parts, really good base for a project with most big items already ?
hubbardmx50
7/15/2018 9:47pm
Fresh MX3s tires for this build will be mounted momentarily, courtesy of award winning tire changer hubbardmx50. Gonna be sick!
adam8781
7/15/2018 10:54pm
love these bikes, replace the shift stopper before it breaks

The Shop

PJRAUS
7/16/2018 3:04am
I like yz 125 builds, never get tired of looking at them! Keep up the good work! I have a 2006 yz 125 project bike...got most of the parts, but I'm a ways off getting started on it just yet..
Forrest795
7/16/2018 7:00am
Hubbardmx50 has my tire game on lock always! (Much love to him for always doing them for me lol) I’m also glad to see the consensus on this so far is good. I’m taking the motor to have the lower case inspected as I’m not a fan of splitting cases where top ends are stupid simple
Forrest795
7/16/2018 7:55am
adam8781 wrote:
love these bikes, replace the shift stopper before it breaks
Yes I plan to do so it was on the top of my list of things to do, I want this thing flawless since it’s taking so much of my money and time
Forrest795
7/18/2018 9:24pm
Update #1

Got the motor taken to the shop I always go to to split lower case projects and should be done by Friday evening, tonight I had just enough time to get the new bearings and races into the frame for the stem after work and placed my order for more parts at my local Yamaha shop ?? (Props to my boys at yoc)

Mx746
7/19/2018 5:26am
Forrest795 wrote:
Update #1 Got the motor taken to the shop I always go to to split lower case projects and should be done by Friday evening, tonight...
Update #1

Got the motor taken to the shop I always go to to split lower case projects and should be done by Friday evening, tonight I had just enough time to get the new bearings and races into the frame for the stem after work and placed my order for more parts at my local Yamaha shop ?? (Props to my boys at yoc)

Now you’re luring mechanics into the rape van with tools and dirt bike parts, no fair.
Forrest795
7/19/2018 12:55pm
Forrest795 wrote:
Update #1 Got the motor taken to the shop I always go to to split lower case projects and should be done by Friday evening, tonight...
Update #1

Mx746 wrote:
Now you’re luring mechanics into the rape van with tools and dirt bike parts, no fair.
It’s what we do
Helder
7/19/2018 5:00pm
Sweet baby jesus look at all them tools!
Forrest795
7/19/2018 9:10pm
Helder wrote:
Sweet baby jesus look at all them tools!
can you tell where I work?
Forrest795
7/19/2018 9:20pm
Update #2

I’d like to thank hubbardmx50 for this amazing tire work once again! Them mx3s look tits and he helped me get the front end back together tonight! Mock up is on for the front end now just a wait on parts and rear end parts. Motor is split as of today so I’m waiting a parts list for that, should be back by next week! ??Major parts list is done as well and I’m checking those off ASAP to get this thing done ??Here’s some updated photos

Forrest795
7/30/2018 9:00pm Edited Date/Time 7/30/2018 9:07pm
The build has been waiting on the motor work for the last two weeks, port and polish done and now here we are the next update, money pit here we go ?
Forrest795
7/30/2018 9:03pm
Motor is in, carb is in rebuild as of now. Putting that in tomorrow. Linkage and swing arm got new pivot works bearings and are good to go, new vforce3 reeds as well. ?? This thing is done in about 3 weeks. Hopefully braking is good to me on the bill I’m about to have lol ?
7/31/2018 10:17am
Forrest795 wrote:
Motor is in, carb is in rebuild as of now. Putting that in tomorrow. Linkage and swing arm got new pivot works bearings and are good...
Motor is in, carb is in rebuild as of now. Putting that in tomorrow. Linkage and swing arm got new pivot works bearings and are good to go, new vforce3 reeds as well. ?? This thing is done in about 3 weeks. Hopefully braking is good to me on the bill I’m about to have lol ?
When replacing standard reeds with VForce will it need rejetting or anything? Been wanting to put V3 or V4 on my yz but don't want issues with the carb (if there will be) also I don't know a great deal about bikes so I'm just assuming that may cause issues.
Forrest795
7/31/2018 4:23pm
Forrest795 wrote:
Motor is in, carb is in rebuild as of now. Putting that in tomorrow. Linkage and swing arm got new pivot works bearings and are good...
ChrissyDMX wrote:
When replacing standard reeds with VForce will it need rejetting or anything? Been wanting to put V3 or V4 on my yz but don't want issues...
When replacing standard reeds with VForce will it need rejetting or anything? Been wanting to put V3 or V4 on my yz but don't want issues with the carb (if there will be) also I don't know a great deal about bikes so I'm just assuming that may cause issues.
Seemingly to me it’s never made a difference with reeds and carbs I’ve always jetted the bike to either altitude or to the pipe that’s on it per the manufacturer specs and never had a problem carbs can’t be temperamental at times just play with your jets and find out what runs best for your set up
Forrest795
8/23/2018 8:06pm
Starting to look more and more like a bike again, 270mm front rotor from galfer, boyesen cover and new master cyclinder installed

Post a reply to: 2006 YZ125 build

The Latest