The Best, Worst Honda CR125 build, 1998 edition

kdiringer
Edited Date/Time 1/7/2022 7:50pm
I decided I wanted to build a first gen Aluminum Frame Cr to go along with my 2014 CRF250 that I am nearly done with.

Started searching the interwebs for a 250, but ultimately decided a 125 would be a fun build and still enjoy myself when I did decide to go out with it.

I found this 1998 CR125 for $400 on the ole Facespace Marketplace, the owner said it needed a top end, but we sent it and spent the first week tearing into it to see what all was going to be needed.
It had new plastics, but was all kinds of roached out, blown suspension, cracked wheels.

This goes along with my current mess of a garage as 4 bikes and a trailer, one torn down completely makes for less than ideal space.

SwingArm:

Tore the engine down to find that the Bottom and top ends were in good shape:

Cleaned the Frame up and started ordering Parts:

At this point, I was hoping to be able to try to make it to the Mid-Ohio Vintage festival over the 4th of July weekend, but it seems like the parts are coming in slowly and I have too much work to finish prior to then, so I'll spectate and wait until next year.
|
kdiringer
6/17/2019 7:57am Edited Date/Time 6/18/2019 5:25pm
Updates:

I did some reasearch and found that the 2000-2001 CR swingarm would fit the first gen AF, only changes that were required were taken care of by taking the swingarm and having the linkage mount bolt location drilled to 15mm.

I had this machined, though looking back it could likely have been done on a drill press.

This allowed me to use 2000+ CR/CRF rear wheels which are much more common and lighter.

Parts you'll need:
2000-01 CR Swingarm
2000-01 CR Rear brake carrier
2000+ CR/CRF Rear wheel
2000+ CR/CRF rear axle

Got the top end replaced with new gaskets and new hardware.
The engine went in without issue
New Old stock engine mount bolts replaced the home depot bolts I had removed.

New pipe came in and was installed

I decided that the blown forks would be replaced to more modern suspension, which opened more options for rebuild. This required fitting a set of CRF clamps that I had left over from another build. simple as replacing the bearings and fitting up.

You can see the spacer setup that I had to use to get the stock fender to fit to the newer triple clamp

Something that keeps the drive going:

Built up the controls prior to my bar mounts coming in

My graphics finally came in, Throttle Jockey killed it as always, this should really bring the vintage-ish theme together

Period Correct UFO Stadium plate

A bunch of smaller items are on order as I work though the myriad of issues that a basket case comes with, such as the 95 kicker that wont fit when a pipe correct to the year is fitted. and so on.

I'll keep updating as I find time to work on this.

Cheers Vital!
kdiringer
6/18/2019 5:25pm
Got the front end for this build in, I went with revalved and resprung SFF's from a 2017 KX250. Fitted with a 2014 CRF stock wheel for now, motostuff classic 280mm Honda Kit with a Kawasaki caliper bracket. finished with a 2018 CRF front brake(master cylinder and caliper). I also mounted up the new radiator, and immediately found that the front fender holes will need moved to fit the fender as it should.

Anyways, on to what everyone is here for: The Pictures

Current plan is to get everything fitted prior to cleaning for the final time to verify fitment before spending the time to detail.

Cheers Vital!
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3711th
6/18/2019 7:55pm
I have a set of pro circuit pegs and peg mounts if your interested.
kdiringer
7/3/2019 10:59am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2019 11:05am
Its been a busy time the last few weeks and I've only been able to work on the bike on the side after work. Hoping to get a bunch of work done over the next 2 days.

I should have everything to get this running and then really get into the final assembly and get this finalized.

The last thing I need to evaluate is the rear shock, there seems to be some current production shocks that may fit, though the length is my main concern, which I suppose could be solved with a different dog bone, I may look at the bike's Rear geometry as it comes together.

The Shop

kdiringer
7/4/2019 12:16pm Edited Date/Time 7/4/2019 12:19pm
Okay!

I finally got a few nights to work on the bike, got the electronics reinstalled and had good spark. I rebuilt the carb, but it seems like the float might be stuck as its leaking fuel once the petcock is turned on, so that will have to come off again.

I got Pro Circuit Pegs from CRGuy, and fit them to the bike with some Ti Hardware.
I decided to hold on doing the carb as I wanted to fit everything to see what was left to do before I have a gauntlet of races, 3 weekends back to back to back.
I got the wheels mounted up and trimmed the brackets from the brake caliper bracket which seems to be standard procedure. I still need to mount up the brake line in the rear and that will likely be and early next week job, after tackling the carburetor.

I cleaned the rad louvers which are not available anymore, but they were still in quite the sorry state. I decided to plastidip them to see how they would look and would be removable if all else fails. Jury is still out on these, I also picked up another set of used louvers in a bit nicer condition so I may swap to those as the final touches are put on.

I got the plastics, graphics and seat cover installed and put on the bike, the front plate is a 2013 era stadium plate which fits the clamps that are on the bike, I haven't made a bracket to fit the clamps, and decided to take the most expensive method of mounting the correct front plate and ordered 2000+ CR125 (Rubber Mounted) clamps with special bores to fit the 2017 KX forks. This should make the fender and front plate a bolt on affair and should give the front geometry that I was looking for.

One of the last few things to do: Decide on the Rear shock/linkage to give the rear the behavior that I would like.

Anyway, onto the pictures:

Finally, a picture beside my current bike a 2014 CRF250R, mama always said I bled red

quiknic
Fantasy
1093rd
7/4/2019 4:03pm
Sweet job, I love the look and route you went with on this build. Graphics turned out great and hopefully she will run as good as she looks.
kdiringer
7/4/2019 8:38pm Edited Date/Time 7/4/2019 8:44pm
Well, I spent some time with the carb and realized I had bent the float tab in the wrong direction, and it wasnt seating so even when the bowl was full, fuel kept coming. I got that remedied, and took her outside and 3rd kick she fired up no problem, so that's encouraging. I didn't have any coolant in it so I only let it run for 15 seconds. Once I get back from Mid Ohio this weekend I'll fill it with coolant, some fresh gas and see where the jetting stands.

I also ordered a new shock for the bike with what seems like the correct length. It'll be revalved and resprung with a damping curve I'm currently working on to get in the ballpark based on my expected wheelrate and bike weight.

Finally: I'm looking for a new/mint condition red renthal barpad, preferred to be vinyl but with the older style Renthal font(seen on the cloth barpads) if anyone has one that isn't being used let me know as I think it would match better than the current red pad that is on the bike.
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3711th
7/4/2019 8:45pm Edited Date/Time 7/4/2019 8:46pm
It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a bike on here that really catches my eye. Looks good man. Finally something different! She needs black backgrounds in the number plates and she’ll be set!
kdiringer
7/5/2019 5:20am
CrGuy2T wrote:
It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a bike on here that really catches my eye. Looks good man. Finally something different! She needs black...
It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a bike on here that really catches my eye. Looks good man. Finally something different! She needs black backgrounds in the number plates and she’ll be set!
I thought about doing black backgrounds, as I know a 125 should have them if it were being raced, but I decided on white as it just goes with the clean black transition to white that I was going for. I'm thinking about changing the font on the numbers as its a bit more thick and rounded than I originally had in mind.
sesker15
7/5/2019 9:43am
Looks good. You should do red hubs also.
752dad
7/6/2019 4:03am
Don’t know if you have heard about just wrapping the bar pad with a graphic of the proper colors and font. Our graphics guy does it all the time and looks great.

KC
kdiringer
7/11/2019 6:03pm
I've got a couple of smaller updates, I'll likely get an actual update together once I get home from the great north. I should have the correct triple clamps in, I have the new rear shock mounted, and will have to finish that up.

Otherwise, this has somewhat slowed down, I plan to do the wheels over the off season when I have more time. Is there anyone that has tried to fit a cycra brake disk guard on a Kawi? I'd like to pic your mind on the bracketry that you used to get it mounted up.

I believe I will also do the mesh behind the airbox vents as the box has been trimmed to mimic the later models.

Cheers!
Rickyisms
7/12/2019 3:07pm
I might have the bar pad you're after, It's not in perfect condition but it still looks pretty decent, I'm not home this weekend but I'll check if I have it when I get back if you're interested.
kdiringer
7/13/2019 5:41am
sesker15 wrote:
Looks good. You should do red hubs also.
I thought about that, and while I realize I've strayed away from the factory bike in some ways, I will probably keep the silver hubs as Honda factory bikes didn't get red hubs until the 2002 season.
kdiringer
7/24/2019 8:21pm
Only a few smaller things remain, I got the 2017 KX shock mounted up with a CRF250 spring with a little more sag than is recommended since the pin length is 12mm longer. I trimmed and welded the subframe to fit the larger showa shock diameter. The airboot rubs just slightly on the shock, I will monitor but I don't believe that it will pose an issue as it does not rub the spring.

Onto the pictures, I still need to find the right bar pad, as well as fit the correctly sized fork decals, which should be in tomorrow just in time for me to leave for the weekend so it will be until at least monday before I have a chance to finalize the finer details.

Thanks to my roomate for taking some of these while I stood back and admired.

7/27/2019 9:50pm
Did you get the seat cover from Throttle Jockey? I got that same graphic kit for my 99 CR250 a few years ago but they said they couldn't do the seatcover.
kdiringer
7/28/2019 3:30am
zer0signal wrote:
Did you get the seat cover from Throttle Jockey? I got that same graphic kit for my 99 CR250 a few years ago but they said...
Did you get the seat cover from Throttle Jockey? I got that same graphic kit for my 99 CR250 a few years ago but they said they couldn't do the seatcover.
Yeah, they said they just started a repro of that, might be worth emailing Matt and seeing if he could make just the cover.
pdub187
Fantasy
2532nd
7/28/2019 6:41pm
Really, really nice mate. Good job. How does it ride with the new front end?
500crazy
7/28/2019 8:15pm
Bike looks awesome, never really thought much of the 1st Gen Ali frame cr, great job.👌
kdiringer
7/29/2019 9:48am
Initially I was worried that it would be too stiff, but it seems okay on the short ride I've been able to take, I'll have a better idea this weekend. It runs so crisp though, I'm super impressed, it's my first 2 stroke rebuild and it's all I'd hoped for.
kdiringer
8/27/2019 5:23am
Been away for a few weeks, finally got the last of a few things dialed in, I'm waiting for stand graphics before I can finally stick a fork in it. It's featured on Pro Circuits Instagram for #TwoStrokeTuesday this week.
kdiringer
10/26/2019 9:52am
Got the few final things buttoned up, took it out a few times, I think the 1 gen Honda gets more bad rap than it deserves, with modern suspension its heavier than what I'm sure the modern frames are, but its not horrible. The suspension makes it ride pretty comfortably. Though the new bikes have eons more power than the 125, and the ridability isn't even in the same league. With all that, man the two stroke sound and the flat out feeling you have holding it wide everywhere is something i wish everyone to experience. Anyway, on to the pictures!

Action69
10/27/2019 7:02am
It came out really nice..enjoy.where did you get the drilled out front wheel collar?it adds a nice works touch to it..
kdiringer
10/27/2019 7:15am Edited Date/Time 10/27/2019 7:28am
Action69 wrote:
It came out really nice..enjoy.where did you get the drilled out front wheel collar?it adds a nice works touch to it..
They are IRP wheel spacers for 2000+ CR/F chassis
Action69
10/27/2019 7:26am
Thank you..did you remember who sold them?ill google it as well..

Post a reply to: The Best, Worst Honda CR125 build, 1998 edition

The Latest