|

The Shop

JMX82
9/6/2018 3:08am
I think it is heavily modified Aermacchi Harley Davidson RC 125

barnett468
9/6/2018 8:54am Edited Date/Time 9/6/2018 9:25am
JMX82 wrote:
I think it is heavily modified Aermacchi Harley Davidson RC 125 [img]https://www.powerdynamo.biz/deu/systems/7212/bikefoto.jpg[/img]
I think it is heavily modified Aermacchi Harley Davidson RC 125

you are extremely close but his has a down pipe so it is a different model.

https://encheres.catawiki.eu/kavels/8237693-harley-davidson-amf-125-scr…

1974 model sold at auction for $1100.00 euros 2 years ago.

earlier model

barnett468
9/6/2018 8:57am
Someone gave me a thumbs down for my Positively OutStanding comment.
9/6/2018 9:21am
It wasn't me. I appreciate the honest opinion s!
It's definitely a shitter of a dirtbike. My kids want me to get it running so they can putt around the field. I think it needs new coil points and condenser. Has intermittent spark.
barnett468
9/6/2018 9:45am
It wasn't me. I appreciate the honest opinion s! It's definitely a shitter of a dirtbike. My kids want me to get it running so they...
It wasn't me. I appreciate the honest opinion s!
It's definitely a shitter of a dirtbike. My kids want me to get it running so they can putt around the field. I think it needs new coil points and condenser. Has intermittent spark.
i'm not worried about the thumbs down. i think it's hilarious considering the post i was replying to said it was a pos but the person didn't give him a thumbs down, lol. one needs to have a sense of humor when dealing with bikes. i for one actually like funky odd bikes.

anyway, for parts check the site i gave you a link to and ebay.. you can also call gary jones and ask if he has any or knows where to get what you need.

this guy went all out on his.

9/6/2018 10:06am
It Sparks at about every 4th or so the kick. Does that mean a bad condenser? Coil?
barnett468
9/6/2018 10:20am
It Sparks at about every 4th or so the kick. Does that mean a bad condenser? Coil?
hard to say, but if there is rust on the stator i would clean it off first. i would also try bump starting it before i started randomly buying parts. you can tow it to bump start it if you and your driver have experience with doing this.
Shredder
Fantasy
1242nd
9/6/2018 10:39am
I see they got rid of that pesky downtube...
barnett468
9/6/2018 1:02pm
Shredder wrote:
I see they got rid of that pesky downtube...
that's because it is a factory lightweight works bike!
speedman
9/6/2018 4:51pm
Somebody built that to race short track, back when there was a teeming short track racing scene in the States. Back in 1973, Bultaco and Ossa were selling purpose-built 250 short trackers and you could find specialty frames to fit various engines, or convert a dirt bike, especially to run in the 100 or 125 classes. IIRC Harley even got a bent rule to allow the 350 Aermacchi 4-stroke engine in the AMA 250 class, although the 2Ts eventually just got too strong for them. Dealerships founded before 1966 or so often had a strong local oval racing faction, and some people credited the US short track scene for developing successful 500 GP road racers early on like Roberts, Rainey, Lawson. You'll notice that Rossi has got a short track to practice on. . . .
9/6/2018 6:23pm
Very interesting. That type of racing used to be very popular around here from what I was told. Now the short track go carts are popular.
We have a local flat track racing group down here in Delaware, but the interest just isn't strong.
barnett468
9/6/2018 6:45pm Edited Date/Time 9/6/2018 7:09pm
1974 1/2 thru 1976 bultaco astro . i think rickman and another company made aftermarket frames for it as well as for other bikes. Notice no front brake and the rear brake is a disc.

71 thru mid 74 astro. check out the 2 foot long stinger.

make1go
9/7/2018 6:27am
barnett468 wrote:
1974 1/2 thru 1976 bultaco astro . i think rickman and another company made aftermarket frames for it as well as for other bikes. Notice no...
1974 1/2 thru 1976 bultaco astro . i think rickman and another company made aftermarket frames for it as well as for other bikes. Notice no front brake and the rear brake is a disc.

good stuff..i had a 76 &79 pursangs during my 90s vintage mx days. the 79 was very original had been seized and parked after about 18mths use, the 76 had a tight astro engine. So it went in the 79. Raced it once before a mate pryed both from me...
barnett468
9/7/2018 8:14am Edited Date/Time 9/7/2018 8:16am
barnett468 wrote:
1974 1/2 thru 1976 bultaco astro . i think rickman and another company made aftermarket frames for it as well as for other bikes. Notice no...

make1go wrote:
good stuff..i had a 76 &79 pursangs during my 90s vintage mx days. the 79 was very original had been seized and parked after about 18mths...
good stuff..i had a 76 &79 pursangs during my 90s vintage mx days. the 79 was very original had been seized and parked after about 18mths use, the 76 had a tight astro engine. So it went in the 79. Raced it once before a mate pryed both from me...
xlnt . i had a 74 250 and 360 that i raced in 75 . local bultaco guro paul nyland ported the cylinders and built the pipes and they ran great but i kept breaking the eyes off the crappy bi;stein shocks. i removed the external flywheel on the 250 after a while and replaced it with the 125 gear and it really hauled ass but was easy to stall.
pete24
9/8/2018 4:22pm
when Newmann sees it he will tell you what it is , then he will tell you he has one with titanium everything thats perfect and in his spotless garage, then you will call bullshit and he will post pics
speedman
9/9/2018 4:15pm
I don't know how to tell the Harley Baja 100 and Rapido 125 engines apart from the outside, apart from later Rapidos seeming to have matte black cases; I think that both used the same lower ends. But my guess is that it is a Baja 100 with the 19" front wheel from a Rapido and its rear hub laced to a 19" alloy rim for short track/flat track tires. Note how far the front forks are dropped in the clamps--that suggests it originally had a 21" front. They'd have had to take the front brake cable off to race it on ovals. Those are probably Ceriani shocks in back, shorter than stock to lower the bike still farther.

The tank is off something else entirely, maybe an early Harley Hummer, which was Harley's clone of a DKW 2T captured in WWII, and possibly was not a double entendre at the time. It damn sure didn't have a Mikuni stock, so it's probably ported to go with that cone pipe. The gearing looks pretty tall & they wouldn't have shifted often on an oval, maybe more on TT tracks; it may turn out to be pretty peaky once you get it running, though not quick by modern standards, just lively when it's on the pipe.

It is actually a pretty trick little critter in its way and I doubt anyone would have gone to those lengths unless they were directly associated with a Harley dealer. If you looked up the dealers in your area ca. 1970, you might be able to guess who it was; too bad that Harley did its best to get rid of old-school dealers in recent years, but you might have luck finding parts just the same, because there'll be old guys with sentimental attachment to these Harley 2Ts. The latter makes me wonder if it'd be worthwhile to clean it, get it running and put it up for auction--check past Mecum auctions to see if any baby Harley short trackers have ever been offered. Probably not too common to start with, and probably very obsolete as soon as anyone got a 19" rear and a good cone pipe onto a 1972 Yamaha 100. I said a Baja due to the front end & the fact that their 100 probably would have been more competitive in class against Hodakas, Bultacos & Yamaha 90s--especially if it was possible to sneak a 125 top end onto it.

I feel like being snarky and saying that an entire warehouse full of Fasthouse gear just wishes it could be as authentically cool, in its way, as that little oval racer is. A couple of weeks ago I ran across my Supercross programs from 1974-75 and was amazed that the short track scene visible in some ads could have vanished so completely.
FahQ
9/9/2018 7:27pm
TymeMoto wrote:
pos
Please remove my thumbs up to this comment
I was just looking to see who thumbs upped it Dry
9/10/2018 7:21am
speedman wrote:
I don't know how to tell the Harley Baja 100 and Rapido 125 engines apart from the outside, apart from later Rapidos seeming to have matte...
I don't know how to tell the Harley Baja 100 and Rapido 125 engines apart from the outside, apart from later Rapidos seeming to have matte black cases; I think that both used the same lower ends. But my guess is that it is a Baja 100 with the 19" front wheel from a Rapido and its rear hub laced to a 19" alloy rim for short track/flat track tires. Note how far the front forks are dropped in the clamps--that suggests it originally had a 21" front. They'd have had to take the front brake cable off to race it on ovals. Those are probably Ceriani shocks in back, shorter than stock to lower the bike still farther.

The tank is off something else entirely, maybe an early Harley Hummer, which was Harley's clone of a DKW 2T captured in WWII, and possibly was not a double entendre at the time. It damn sure didn't have a Mikuni stock, so it's probably ported to go with that cone pipe. The gearing looks pretty tall & they wouldn't have shifted often on an oval, maybe more on TT tracks; it may turn out to be pretty peaky once you get it running, though not quick by modern standards, just lively when it's on the pipe.

It is actually a pretty trick little critter in its way and I doubt anyone would have gone to those lengths unless they were directly associated with a Harley dealer. If you looked up the dealers in your area ca. 1970, you might be able to guess who it was; too bad that Harley did its best to get rid of old-school dealers in recent years, but you might have luck finding parts just the same, because there'll be old guys with sentimental attachment to these Harley 2Ts. The latter makes me wonder if it'd be worthwhile to clean it, get it running and put it up for auction--check past Mecum auctions to see if any baby Harley short trackers have ever been offered. Probably not too common to start with, and probably very obsolete as soon as anyone got a 19" rear and a good cone pipe onto a 1972 Yamaha 100. I said a Baja due to the front end & the fact that their 100 probably would have been more competitive in class against Hodakas, Bultacos & Yamaha 90s--especially if it was possible to sneak a 125 top end onto it.

I feel like being snarky and saying that an entire warehouse full of Fasthouse gear just wishes it could be as authentically cool, in its way, as that little oval racer is. A couple of weeks ago I ran across my Supercross programs from 1974-75 and was amazed that the short track scene visible in some ads could have vanished so completely.
Thanks for all the Info. There is an old school local HD dealer not far from me. I'll talk to them sometime when I'm down that way.
The carb is actually a keihin. The main is the same as the current ones. The pilot jet has a smaller thread diameter. I'll pull it off and measure it. Take a peek into the intake port to see if someone has been grinding on it in there.
If this old bike could talk I'm sure it would have some stories to tell!
KDXGarage
9/11/2018 11:17am
TymeMoto wrote:
pos
FahQ wrote:
Go click on the opposite thumb and you will "take it back".
barnett468
9/11/2018 7:39pm
TymeMoto wrote:
pos
FahQ wrote:
KDXGarage wrote:
Go click on the opposite thumb and you will "take it back".
how do you find out who gave you a thumbs up or thumbs down or is it anonymous?
KDXGarage
9/12/2018 7:44pm
What's next, get 4chan to help you find out where they live and work??
Fiv0r13
9/23/2020 11:10am
Thanks for all the Info. There is an old school local HD dealer not far from me. I'll talk to them sometime when I'm down that...
Thanks for all the Info. There is an old school local HD dealer not far from me. I'll talk to them sometime when I'm down that way.
The carb is actually a keihin. The main is the same as the current ones. The pilot jet has a smaller thread diameter. I'll pull it off and measure it. Take a peek into the intake port to see if someone has been grinding on it in there.
If this old bike could talk I'm sure it would have some stories to tell!
Do you still have the bike? I’m interested in it.
Thanks
9/23/2020 11:39am
Yes still have it. It’s been sitting there untouched. It was given to me to fix up for my son to ride when he gets older. I feel bad selling it though
Fiv0r13
9/24/2020 2:46am
I completely understand. It just kills me to see such a neat piece of history just sitting. I love those single cylinder Harley’s and have a bunch of them. I would love to get it back on the track. If you ever decide to let it go please keep me in mind.
9/25/2020 6:03pm
Thats quite a collection! Looks good! Email if u want to talk as I have a 74 Yamaha ty250 my father gave me I’ve been working on. I’ll talk to my son and his uncle about the aermachi as he was the one who gave it to us.
Jdemski1@aol.com
lumpy790
9/26/2020 9:12pm
The way I understand it the 70’s HD 2 strokes were made by Cagiva

Post a reply to: What is this barn find?

The Latest