1991 CR500, lots of upgrades, excellent shape

Byron909
Edited Date/Time 5/16/2018 6:01am
1991 cr500. 4900.00
I bought this bike back in 07. Had been sitting for a long time in a barn. Mostly all original.
I took apart, fixed issues, and took it racing. Eventually decided to keep it, so i went thru it and assembled like i would want it.
I got hurt on other stuff, and the bike has sat since being built. Last December pulled it out, filled with fuel, and went and rode it to so how everything was. Did some jetting, etc, bike works great. Nice and tight.
Here is a list of things i did

00-01 era cr250 digital ignition, cdi mounted behind front numberplate
Boyesen ignition cover
Pc pipe, platinum, painted with a black ceramic
Bills silencer
New reeds
Twin air filter, pc racing pro seal
Pwk 38mm carb
Sunline shifter
93-01 swingarm, new slider, tm designs rollers, lower chain guide
Works connection,
Frame guards, radiator guards, rear caliper guard
Excel 18x2.50 rear wheel, bulldog spokes, mx51 rear tire, heavy duty tube
97-99 cr250 rear cAliper bracket, modified slightly, moto master 240mm rear rotor, msr rear disc guard, braided rear line
Sunstar rear sprocket, think 49/14, regina ors6 oring chain
96-01 cr500 rear shock, revalved/ sprung by mx tech.
Suspension setup for 220lb intermediate
Stock 95-01 footpegs, lowered, with works connection wideners welded on.
Msr skidplate, brake snake
Applied triple clamps
Upper have rubber mounted bar mounts.
Brp sub mount
Scotts damper
Renthal 922 twinwalls
Renthal half waffle medium grips
Msr on the fly clutch lever/ perch
Ceet tall seat foam, reproduction seat cover
Ufo front, rear fenders, fork guards, front numberplate
Fluidyne radiator cap, 21lbs
2001 cr250 forks, twin chambers, revalved/ sprung by mx tech.
Anodized fork lugs
Stock 95 up front wheel,
Braking 260mm front rotor, 02 up caliper, fastline brake hose, 92-06 master cylinder
New pads
Motion pro throttle tube

Might be few more things. The engine is more or less all virgin, except for what i did. Very solid, tight.
Bike handles awesome, stops good, runs as good as a guy needs a big cr to run, no real faults.
Everything has fresh grease, lube, all hardware, collars, etc correct.
Id say you can see the bikes age in parts of frame, outer clutch cover, maybe some areas on subframe, paint wise.
Its very clean, even before i did any work to it.
Like it sits its an awesome machine, im tall and set it up accordingly.
All cables are original, cleaned, lubed,
Nothing hidden.
Bike located in austin, tx area.
I can crate and ship, seems these days its about 400.00

Id say since doing all this work, i might have put 30 min on it.
This would be a good evo bike to ride/ race. Not one to use engine to convert some aluminum mess.
Being a 91, it has a close ratio trans. Ive always preferred them myself.
This bike feels like a new bike.
Thanks for looking.

|
Byron909
5/10/2018 1:46pm
For some reason it wont let me load any,ore photos.
I will try and get them up.
In meantime, here is al link to some

http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/Byron909/library/1991%20honda%20cr500r

http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/Byron909/library/ebay%20misc/1991%20c…

I forgot to add, i was going for a replica of stantons '91 des nations bike, hence the black fork lugs, but didnt have the heart to peel those factory shroud decals. So i just left it alone. I did have a stock silencer cut down to '91 length on it, but i must have packed it wrong, it was so loud when i fired it up, so i just stuck that bills one on there. I prefer the stock look, but the way it is it sounds/ runs pretty damn right.

Thanks
Oh, email if you want.
Byroncr500@icloud.com

5/10/2018 1:50pm
Awesome bike for a decent price. Really clean looking.

An FYI on the photos: PhotoBucket doesn’t allow photos to be embed in forums or I think any website anymore without paying some subscription. It broke a lot of photos and killed a lot of older threads with info and pics on them since they all show up blank now.

You’d be better off using imgur or tinypic to post photos.
Byron909
5/11/2018 8:13am
thanks. yeah, webshots made this internet photo thing easy. I'm not much of a computer guy, these days if I cant do from a ipad then I just cant figure it out!! I will look into those places you suggested. thanks.

maybe this will work,

i forgot to add.
the triple clamps were originally the old blue that applied did. these were nos parts when i found them. i stripped them, re anodized them with a clear. same for the brp mount. it came black. same thing, stripped, re anodized clear.
and i also replate old hardware. most anything i worked on, usually got nicer replated hardware in place of the older weathered stuff.
the upper triple clamp is from a late 90s cr250. in 95 the 250 got a bigger upper stem. so i had made a bushing to mount it up just fine. the rubber cones are the poly ones that applied sells, and i made better hardware for the bar mount bolts. those brp mounts come with grade 8.8, i use 12.9.
and the front wheel must be from a 02 up, because it has aluminum nipples.
also those twin chambers look like i have them up in the clamps like 20mm or so. also in 95 the smaller bikes stem increased height wise around 13-15mm. but 500s never changed. since then that number has more or less been same. so installing this fork on here, i dont recall the exact difference, but having the forks up 13mm was basically flush. i run usually 5mm up. so this rides height wise up front just like the old, but 5mm up. if that makes sense to you.

here are some older photos of when i was doing some of this stuff.

bushing for cr250 clamp

cdi mount

damper tower

250 rotor/ stator

250 coil

oem 91 footpeg, my 95 up modified peg

i have a mountain of parts for these bikes. if you are a short guy, i can re arrange to fit you.
thanks for looking

Byron909
5/16/2018 6:01am
Id rather not do this, because bike is built well like it is, but i can make cheaper if removed some items.
But really everything works well together like it sits.

The Shop

kdubsteezey
Fantasy
953rd
9/22/2020 1:07pm
Hey guys, sorry to resurrect an old thread... but I am curious about the 240mm rear rotor mod. What was needed to for the caliper hanger to the swing arm off the 97 onto the 500? Looking at doing the same thing just trying to nail down the steps before purchasing the parts. Thank you!

Post a reply to: 1991 CR500, lots of upgrades, excellent shape

The Latest