Private sale gone South

Sold my crf450 2007 to a young lad and he came to my house tested the bike and said he was completely happy with the bike. He came the next day with a van to collect and also gave it one more test ride before parting with the cash, I asked are you completely happy with the bike, he said yes and we parted ways. 5 days later I get a text saying the 5th gear doesn't work, which is strange as I rebuild the gear box and tested every gear by hand before rebuilding the rest of the engine. Anyways he now wants me to pay 500£ for it to be repaired. After I offered to take a look if he got the gaskets for re-assembly. What should I do
|
mwssquad827
6/28/2020 4:29pm
Did he sign, a as is bill of sale?? Hopefully so but if not I would either way tell them to suck it.. if you can truthfully say it was fine at time of sale...
6/28/2020 4:35pm
Did he sign, a as is bill of sale?? Hopefully so but if not I would either way tell them to suck it.. if you can...
Did he sign, a as is bill of sale?? Hopefully so but if not I would either way tell them to suck it.. if you can truthfully say it was fine at time of sale...
He never signed a contract or anything, I honestly tested everything because I was rebuilding the bike for myself and wanted to ride it. Made sure everything was okay before I sold it as well. New chain filters oil sprockets etc. But I didn't understand when testing he never noticed it until a week later
rjg
6/28/2020 4:42pm
I'd try to make it right. I know your not saying this at all but I doubt he was able to destroy the transmission in 5 days and likely didnt bend a shift fork. Something is malfunctioning.
mike546
6/28/2020 4:43pm
Here in the US all sales like that are as is. Its up to the buyer to test everything or have a mechanic check it out before the purchase. I'm sure he had it in 5th on the test ride.

The Shop

6/28/2020 4:52pm
rjg wrote:
I'd try to make it right. I know your not saying this at all but I doubt he was able to destroy the transmission in 5...
I'd try to make it right. I know your not saying this at all but I doubt he was able to destroy the transmission in 5 days and likely didnt bend a shift fork. Something is malfunctioning.
I have offered to have a look if brought the gaskets for me when I put it back together. He has ignored this offer and demands 500£ to have the whole motor done. But my point is I asked him twice if everything was okay after his 2 test rides, his friend even rode it and said it was fine. How is it my responsibility to now fix someone else's bike
6/28/2020 4:54pm
mike546 wrote:
Here in the US all sales like that are as is. Its up to the buyer to test everything or have a mechanic check it out...
Here in the US all sales like that are as is. Its up to the buyer to test everything or have a mechanic check it out before the purchase. I'm sure he had it in 5th on the test ride.
I asked him to test everything while he was out, he said no problem its good, his friend also rode the bike and never said anything either
yz133rider
6/28/2020 4:54pm
I have offered to have a look if brought the gaskets for me when I put it back together. He has ignored this offer and demands...
I have offered to have a look if brought the gaskets for me when I put it back together. He has ignored this offer and demands 500£ to have the whole motor done. But my point is I asked him twice if everything was okay after his 2 test rides, his friend even rode it and said it was fine. How is it my responsibility to now fix someone else's bike
It isn’t.
walent215
6/28/2020 5:08pm
I have offered to have a look if brought the gaskets for me when I put it back together. He has ignored this offer and demands...
yz133rider wrote:
It isn’t.
I buy and sell countless bikes , some new, some fixers. This has obviously had me crossing paths with so many different types of buyers. I also do work on the side for people. I have seen so many "odd " maintenance practices over the years and unfortunately you just dont know how somebody is going to treat their bike even in the first few minutes of owning it. I've even had discussions with family members after getting their bike running and explaining what not to do etc.....and what did they do ? Exactly what I told them not to! It seems to me you've already offered up a very generous gesture. If hes not agreeable to that I would let him take care of it on his own.
6/28/2020 5:38pm
yz133rider wrote:
It isn’t.
You've offered to make this situation right. He ignored twice, sounds like 5th gear is totally fine and he is looking for some money back. If a guy offered to make a situation right and I was him. Id be on that like fly's on shit. His non response is 99 percent sure that no ISSUE EXISTS. Used bike sold as is, where is.
6/28/2020 6:18pm
I asked him to test everything while he was out, he said no problem its good, his friend also rode the bike and never said anything...
I asked him to test everything while he was out, he said no problem its good, his friend also rode the bike and never said anything either
Tell him to fuck off, this is a blatant scam
mwssquad827
6/28/2020 7:31pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2020 7:36pm
rjg wrote:
I'd try to make it right. I know your not saying this at all but I doubt he was able to destroy the transmission in 5...
Very nice of you to look at it but I wouldnt get anymore involved than you have been.. if it was truly good when you sold it, it sucks but shit breaks and sucks for him but not your issue dude. Next time you sell a bike put bike, year, vin, his name, your name and AS IS SALE.. both you sign and date and boom none of this would have happened.. I have done this since I was 15 per a buddies dads advise, never had anyone question why either.
Highflier
6/28/2020 8:04pm
I would tell him "sorry to hear that, you checked it out thoroughly", have a nice day.

I would not touch the bike at all.
You will be opening the door to him claiming more problems, don't be a sucker.

I agree with all who said it's a scam, ignore him.
rjg
6/29/2020 5:54am Edited Date/Time 6/29/2020 5:55am
It's not your responsibility and if you have offered to make it right then that is all you can do. If he thinks 500£ spent at a different location is appropriate then I say no to that. It's his choice not yours. Personally I'd take you up on the offer. Is the guy local to you, does he have good reputation in your community?
danman
6/29/2020 5:58am
I had a deal like that as well with an RM125. The guy called me back after 2 weeks and said the motor locked up. I had just put in both bottom and top end into it. After asking more questions, he says "I was just riding down the highway on my way to the track!"
He was wide open on the highway! I told him to pound sand! I saw the bike for sale 2 days later for $400 more than he paid for it.
Tell the kid that he was good with the purchase when he picked it up and it's now his responsibility.
omalley
6/29/2020 6:59am
You’ve offered a more than reasonable solution. He ignored it. Tell him you’re done dealing with him, he had his chance and it’s on him now. Not your problem.
Tracktor
6/29/2020 1:42pm
I've sold quite a few bikes/vehicles over the years. I always do an "As-is" bill of sale. I also tell each buyer "As far as I know everything on this is exactly as I've described. That said you could ride it for 5 minutes and something could go minor or majorly wrong that I am not aware of. As long as you understand that we have a deal"... I am as open as I can be about the condition of any of our bikes but mechanical shit breaks & that's life. I've bought shit that had more wrong than I was told & never have gone back to seller. That's the risk of buying any machine.........
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
6/30/2020 2:01pm
rjg wrote:
500£ is not enough to have "the whole motor done" by anyone, anywhere. Further, if the problem truly is that 5th gear does not work, as this individual states, why does the whole motor need to be done? Sounds like a case of buyers remorse to me. Not your responsibility mate...respectfully suggest you tell the guy to bugger off.
dadofagun
Fantasy
1962nd
6/30/2020 3:01pm
Highflier wrote:
I would tell him "sorry to hear that, you checked it out thoroughly", have a nice day. I would not touch the bike at all. You...
I would tell him "sorry to hear that, you checked it out thoroughly", have a nice day.

I would not touch the bike at all.
You will be opening the door to him claiming more problems, don't be a sucker.

I agree with all who said it's a scam, ignore him.
This right here. Little bastard just wants some cash back. If you were to even touch the bike, being an honest human being, people like like this dude would look for the "and now you jacked this up, I'm gonna need......." He had the bike for 5 or so days, THEN a problem comes up, after he and his buddy gave it the green light from the start? Tell him to go fuck himself. I truly admire you for trying to be the bigger man, but some folks just live to fuck people over. Stand strong, tall, and proud. You offered the honest way, his loss. Life goes on.
6/30/2020 9:40pm
I had one out of a few dozen bike sales go south. Some dipshit bought one of my bikes. After questioning the idiot. Apparently he chose to not ever use the clutch when shifting gears. Destroyed the tranny gears. He actually wanted a refund. Funniest thing I heard that week.
Kidkawie
6/30/2020 10:21pm
I guess the buyer learned a couple lessons in buying 13 year old dirtbikes.

1) Run through all gears.

2) No warranties!
MaxPower
7/1/2020 7:40am
Kidkawie wrote:
I guess the buyer learned a couple lessons in buying 13 year old dirtbikes.

1) Run through all gears.

2) No warranties!
KidKawie is right. If you give him money back you will rob him of a valuable lesson. Besides you are helping him stay safe. No reason for inexperienced riders to be hauling around on a 450 in 5th gear
TunaBro
7/2/2020 2:03pm
Its not your responsibility now. Used bikes are as-is and his responsibility to go through it as thoroughly as he needs to in order to feel confident in making the purchase. Your offer to help is more than enough.

Post a reply to: Private sale gone South

The Latest