SUSPENSION EXPERTS !! 2003 era - looking for a little help please." INERTIA DAMPENER " tested/raced by Noleen/Moto XXX

Edited Date/Time 7/9/2020 11:16pm
Thanks guys ....

Clark from Noleen could not recall the manufacturer of this rear suspension accessory but I
would like to find one available to purchase which would complete my ex- Kyle Lewis 03 CRF450
Moto XXX / YOSHIMURA / Noleen . The team riders were Huffman, Larry Ward and Lewis .

Apparently , it was hydraulic damper designed to improve action and traction thru whoops.

See photo - was mounted under rear axle nut and appears as a vertical tube possibly 10 inches long .

Any knowledge / help or contact info to someone would certainly
be appreciated . Thank you .

|
Adam43
6/28/2020 5:48pm
Are you certain it was actually a hydraulic damper? I have heard that it was actually just a weight.

Cool build!
DuroTools
6/28/2020 7:55pm
Adam43 wrote:
Are you certain it was actually a hydraulic damper? I have heard that it was actually just a weight.

Cool build!
A weight seems more logical, how would a damper even work at that location unless instead of an axle block that controlled the location of the axle in the swingarm cutouts where the axle block is normally, if this was the case then there would have to be one on each side though.
6/30/2020 1:30pm
Thanks guys for the input and opinion !

You both make excellent comments which makes sense . I do not know anything about its design but maybe
because Noleen called it an INERTIA DAMPER , I was thinking hydraulic .

Any leads or additional info would be helpful . Noleen claimed it was manufactured by an Italian company . There was an Italian company that I spoke with whom had a device on shock linkage for rear suspension but they were not familiar with this device from 2003ish.

281moto
7/3/2020 7:12pm
It's a weight added to the rear swingarm.

Force = Mass * Acceleration

When you increase the mass and the force input to the rear wheel (hitting a whoop) stays the same, the acceleration is decreased. This decrease in acceleration leads to less force transfer into the rider. At least that's what the theory is. It's a trade-off though. You're adding unsprung mass to the rear suspension which isn't ideal.

The Shop

Moto520
7/7/2020 12:28pm
I remember reading about that! It is just a weight from what i remember. Cool concept.
kdiringer
7/7/2020 4:09pm Edited Date/Time 7/7/2020 4:10pm
Moto520 wrote:
I remember reading about that! It is just a weight from what i remember. Cool concept.
Hey guys, not sure if it’s actually an axle weight or if it is actually a true hydraulic interter. Force based on shock acceleration. The term you’d be looking for to search is a J Damper though I’m not sure if it’s ever been on an Mx bike. You’d certainly want a blow off type Inerter if anything
cwtoyota
7/7/2020 10:00pm Edited Date/Time 7/7/2020 10:02pm
Thanks guys for the input and opinion ! You both make excellent comments which makes sense . I do not know anything about its design but...
Thanks guys for the input and opinion !

You both make excellent comments which makes sense . I do not know anything about its design but maybe
because Noleen called it an INERTIA DAMPER , I was thinking hydraulic .

Any leads or additional info would be helpful . Noleen claimed it was manufactured by an Italian company . There was an Italian company that I spoke with whom had a device on shock linkage for rear suspension but they were not familiar with this device from 2003ish.

Like Kdringer mentioned, it is probably an inertia damper.

Basically you can think of a tube filled with oil that has a heavy piston inside with some valving like a shock or fork.

The inertia is due to the mass of the piston.
The damping is due to the movement through oil in the tube.

If you hit a bump in compression, the piston's mass is coupled to the rear wheel as unsprung mass.
During rebound, the valving decouples the piston somewhat so that it's inertia is applied over a longer time.

If you knew the exact specs, you could have one built as a duplicate.
I'm a machinist and develop all kinds of stuff like that in my shop from monster truck shocks to hydraulic cylinders for steering and more. That would be a neat project.

*edit* that article was written by Keefer... Why not send him an e-mail and ask if he knows anything about it. *edt*
cwtoyota
7/7/2020 10:05pm
A better Photo from an image search.

7/8/2020 10:26pm
Thanks to all that replied - much appreciated .

A very worthy suspension guru's opinion is that it is mainly used to absorb VIBRATION in the swingarm.

The swingarm is like a large tuning fork and this inertia dampener would reduce chain slap
and brake chatter HARMONICS , which may reduce rider fatigue ???

I have found only one photo of this device on this race bike and is of the right side .
not sure if there is/was one on the left side also ? With chain on left and brake on right ,
there seems a need on both left and right sides .

Previous comments were it may only be a weight . If that were correct , there would be a
simpler way to add weight than fabricating that device , like maybe filling the center of axle .

GM installed four similar dampeners on the first camaro convertibles
and they were nicknamed COCKTAIL SHAKERS ! do search on net to see....
It was a weight suspended by a spring and surrounded by oil .

Thanks again .

Taylor415
7/9/2020 9:06pm
I see it for harmonics, I had a carbon MTB frame that would vibrate and chatter if I hit the rear brake. XTR brakes, soft pads. Put a small weight on chainstay, problem was gone. Later on some guys did science shit about it, did harmonics tests and dorked it up.
7/9/2020 11:16pm
cwtoyota wrote:
A better Photo from an image search. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/07/07/436814/s1200_KyleLewis03.jpg[/img]
A better Photo from an image search.

@craig hoffman Would you be interested in the matching gear set?! Or.. at least half like the photo cwtoyota posted? BlinkGrinning would look sweet with the bike Cool

Post a reply to: SUSPENSION EXPERTS !! 2003 era - looking for a little help please." INERTIA DAMPENER " tested/raced by Noleen/Moto XXX

The Latest