memorable jumps

MX45
5/25/2010 9:03pm Edited Date/Time 11/2/2019 9:28pm
What are some of your most memorable jumps? What track and did the jump have a unique name?

The Elevator at Gatorback stands out to me.

So many memories. I remember first time I someone jump it was the '96 national. It was the biggest jump I'd ever seen. I remember imagining 'what if that same jump was a lip to lip double'. I had hear rumors after that of RC hitting it on an 80, getting a run from the field to make it. Sometime after that, the jump had shrunk down a bit, and I think moved over one lane? But eventually it was nothing to see Bubba or Davi and a handful of others 80s bust it out.
Other memories of Tyson Hadsell revving the (new back then) 4stroke to the moon. Thinking "damn, that bike is loud".
I was behind Darrol Lynn when his throttle stuck on the face (in the mud) and he went 3/4 of the way up and tried to bail for the top. He didnt make it.
Pictures of John Dowd caving in his front wheel. I think that might have been '96 also.
Or how about seeing the harescramble guys hit it with bark busters and camelbacks.
Then the day it no longer existed. And those who witnessed it forever belonging to a special club. I'm not in the club for people who jumped it. That's the one and only jump club I've ever respected enough to not belong to.
|
5/25/2010 9:04pm
Cant remember what track it was but when RC was hucking a huge gap around a corner at one of the nationals. race officials wouldnt let him do it during a race
Adam43
5/25/2010 9:36pm
Cant remember what track it was but when RC was hucking a huge gap around a corner at one of the nationals. race officials wouldnt let...
Cant remember what track it was but when RC was hucking a huge gap around a corner at one of the nationals. race officials wouldnt let him do it during a race
Millville '04, I think. It was sick. You could tell the track builders didn't even fathom it.
grover738
5/25/2010 10:03pm
If I remember right, the owner, John Martin, had flag poles moved in between the practice and the race to keep RC from doing it in the race. He was jumping over the corner before the sandwash in practice. Someone has to have a picture.

The Shop

Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1704th
5/25/2010 10:29pm
it was on the rise out of the first turn at Spring Creek where RC was busting that out. They had the mechanics area up on top of that small hill that year and RC was literally jumping over the mechanics every time he did it.
FIREfish148
5/25/2010 10:35pm
What about that big quad at one of the sx races during Stewarts rookie year in 2002? I cant remember the stadium, but he was the only dude doing it in both classes. I remember even rc wasnt doing it. I it was after a triple then a quad into a left hander if i remember right??
mx836
5/25/2010 10:46pm
Hank_Thrill
5/25/2010 10:53pm
MX45 wrote:
What are some of your most memorable jumps? What track and did the jump have a unique name? [b]The Elevator at Gatorback stands out to me.[/b]...
What are some of your most memorable jumps? What track and did the jump have a unique name?

The Elevator at Gatorback stands out to me.

So many memories. I remember first time I someone jump it was the '96 national. It was the biggest jump I'd ever seen. I remember imagining 'what if that same jump was a lip to lip double'. I had hear rumors after that of RC hitting it on an 80, getting a run from the field to make it. Sometime after that, the jump had shrunk down a bit, and I think moved over one lane? But eventually it was nothing to see Bubba or Davi and a handful of others 80s bust it out.
Other memories of Tyson Hadsell revving the (new back then) 4stroke to the moon. Thinking "damn, that bike is loud".
I was behind Darrol Lynn when his throttle stuck on the face (in the mud) and he went 3/4 of the way up and tried to bail for the top. He didnt make it.
Pictures of John Dowd caving in his front wheel. I think that might have been '96 also.
Or how about seeing the harescramble guys hit it with bark busters and camelbacks.
Then the day it no longer existed. And those who witnessed it forever belonging to a special club. I'm not in the club for people who jumped it. That's the one and only jump club I've ever respected enough to not belong to.
WOW! That's the first jump I thought of when I read the title of this thread.

I remember Jimmy Button going over the bars on it in '94 during the AMA National. Crazy jump that thing was!
Ddavis
5/25/2010 10:57pm
mx836 wrote:
[img]https://tawm.smugmug.com/photos/70050255-O.jpg[/img]
That's fuggin' nuts!
5/25/2010 11:17pm
I had the picture if your talking about when he was jumping over the mechanics area, i'll try to find it.
Lightning78
5/25/2010 11:41pm
Larocco's leap any year......nuff said.
Lightning78
5/25/2010 11:46pm
RacerX had a pic of it

As for that 02 jump FIREfish was referring to, wasn't that at the vegas SX and he crashed the crap out of himself on one last attempt.....if not that jump was insane nonetheless
Crush
5/26/2010 12:25am
That pic of RC is the original rebuild of the Holy Schmidt... I don't know why they pulled it down, it looks like one of the safest BIG jumps i've seen at the nationals... I remember the turn and run into it could get a little nasty but the top guys were fine... It's nothing now...
v1rus99
5/26/2010 12:49am
What about that big quad at one of the sx races during Stewarts rookie year in 2002? I cant remember the stadium, but he was the...
What about that big quad at one of the sx races during Stewarts rookie year in 2002? I cant remember the stadium, but he was the only dude doing it in both classes. I remember even rc wasnt doing it. I it was after a triple then a quad into a left hander if i remember right??
I think it was a quad right out of a 90Degree corner after the start straight... he stood up in the corner and hit the thing mid power slide.

I wish we could see it.
FIREfish148
5/26/2010 1:11am Edited Date/Time 5/26/2010 1:11am
What about that big quad at one of the sx races during Stewarts rookie year in 2002? I cant remember the stadium, but he was the...
v1rus99 wrote:
I think it was a quad right out of a 90Degree corner after the start straight... he stood up in the corner and hit the thing...
I think it was a quad right out of a 90Degree corner after the start straight... he stood up in the corner and hit the thing mid power slide.

I wish we could see it.
Im not sure i thought it was by the grandstands i was looking for it for a couple min and couldnt find it ill look later though. It might have been 03. I thought it was the same year ping broke his bike in half. I remeber that same race thought because everone was talking about how bubba is coming out putting it to the vets and everone was sick of it.
`ol Ger
5/26/2010 3:49am
Red Bud, of course.
SMITH201
5/26/2010 4:02am
That was in 03 in Vegas.

Couple of jumps that come to mind for me...

The tunnel jump at High Point that only RC and James was huckin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgLH1QxygyE

How about the massive stepup at Glen Helen a few years ago!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SkmKb41278
Racer111
5/26/2010 4:05am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:07pm
v1rus99 wrote:
I think it was a quad right out of a 90Degree corner after the start straight... he stood up in the corner and hit the thing...

I wish we could see it.
Im not sure i thought it was by the grandstands i was looking for it for a couple min and couldnt find it ill look later...
Im not sure i thought it was by the grandstands i was looking for it for a couple min and couldnt find it ill look later though. It might have been 03. I thought it was the same year ping broke his bike in half. I remeber that same race thought because everone was talking about how bubba is coming out putting it to the vets and everone was sick of it.
You guys are thinking about Phoenix SX in 2002. You came through one of the whoop sections and made a 90 degree left hand turn with a very short run in to a tripple that had a STEEP face and the quad right after it. Then there was another sharp turn in to another tripple.

RC, MC, Windham, Larocco, DV12 etc..were busting out the Quad in the 250 class, and JS7 and Travis Preston were the only ones doing it in the 125 class. The tripple right before the Quad is where Ping snapped his KTM in half.

v1rus99, you are thinking of Vegas 2003. That was the same night JS7 broke his collarbone coming through the Finishline section. Yes, Bubba was the ONLY one busting out that quad that night in either class. Everyone else was trippling on to the tabletop and stepping off.
v1rus99
5/26/2010 4:19am
v1rus99 wrote:

I wish we could see it.
Im not sure i thought it was by the grandstands i was looking for it for a couple min and couldnt find it ill look later...
Racer111 wrote:
You guys are thinking about Phoenix SX in 2002. You came through one of the whoop sections and made a 90 degree left hand turn with...
You guys are thinking about Phoenix SX in 2002. You came through one of the whoop sections and made a 90 degree left hand turn with a very short run in to a tripple that had a STEEP face and the quad right after it. Then there was another sharp turn in to another tripple.

RC, MC, Windham, Larocco, DV12 etc..were busting out the Quad in the 250 class, and JS7 and Travis Preston were the only ones doing it in the 125 class. The tripple right before the Quad is where Ping snapped his KTM in half.

v1rus99, you are thinking of Vegas 2003. That was the same night JS7 broke his collarbone coming through the Finishline section. Yes, Bubba was the ONLY one busting out that quad that night in either class. Everyone else was trippling on to the tabletop and stepping off.
I sure Scottie has it on Video.... Or maybe slicknick.

Can someone post it.
slowvet
5/26/2010 5:26am
Marty Tripes in the air at Unadilla's Screw U, completly sideways during practice dropping down into the U. Trans AMA '78. I cleared 3 shopping karts once.
Billymac
5/26/2010 5:28am
Glen Helen (2006?), when Ricky Carmichael wanted to pass Bubba. It's on YouTube.
indy_maico
5/26/2010 5:33am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:07pm
I always had a fond memory of the big jump after the start at Ohio International Raceway in Ravenna.

Then I saw it on 'One Chance to Win' and couldn't believe how puny it looked!

But we flat-landed back in those days.
zookrider62!
Fantasy
975th
5/26/2010 5:37am
Crush wrote:
That pic of RC is the original rebuild of the Holy Schmidt... I don't know why they pulled it down, it looks like one of the...
That pic of RC is the original rebuild of the Holy Schmidt... I don't know why they pulled it down, it looks like one of the safest BIG jumps i've seen at the nationals... I remember the turn and run into it could get a little nasty but the top guys were fine... It's nothing now...
I forget who, but I know some of the riders complained about it. Its really annoying me trying to think of who, but a rider was complaining about how they should have had dirtwurx come in and build it since it was so big, I believe their complaint was the walls of the jumps were to soft and small
5/26/2010 6:24am
Laroccos leap is awesome and to see it live, is even better.

A couple of other jumps, from yrs ago would be Mccoys Mtn @ Sunshine Speedway MX,
at the old St.Pete, Fla.track, or the up hill jump at a place called Chicken Farm Mx.

rmz271
5/26/2010 6:31am
In person, I'd have to agree with the elevator at Gatorback.

Went to the 1996 national and watched Bradshaw sizing it up in practice. He cruised around the corner and stopped at the base just staring at it. It seemed like he sat there forever, then he just shook his head and cut across to get back on the track.

He was pretty much cruising until he got to the big sweeper before the elevator and then he pinned it and never let off, ripping thru the gears. Thought for sure he was coming up short but he cleared it. Quite amazing. I don't think Bradshaw was a big fan of that jump.

During a track walk, I remember standing on top of the elevator thinking those guys were absolutely nuts.
motofab36
5/26/2010 6:31am
Uh you mean the "parking lot jump"? Cool
cjmx
Fantasy
1180th
5/26/2010 6:34am
motofab36 wrote:
Uh you mean the "parking lot jump"? Cool
ha ha....funny!
agency399
5/26/2010 6:34am
Crush wrote:
That pic of RC is the original rebuild of the Holy Schmidt... I don't know why they pulled it down, it looks like one of the...
I forget who, but I know some of the riders complained about it. Its really annoying me trying to think of who, but a rider was...
I forget who, but I know some of the riders complained about it. Its really annoying me trying to think of who, but a rider was complaining about how they should have had dirtwurx come in and build it since it was so big, I believe their complaint was the walls of the jumps were to soft and small
Ryan Clark in his racer x column a few years ago.......
5/26/2010 6:42am
.. Mccoys Mtn, Sunshine speedway MX , St. Pete.,Fla. ..... Chicken Farm Mx ,, uphill jump
viking24
5/26/2010 7:46am
The Budds Creek "Big Gulp" from the late 80's was impressive in it's time. Hitting it with everything a KX500 had would just make it . I remember Cooper trying it on a 125. Over the years it was tamed down.

Post a reply to: memorable jumps

The Latest