17 CRF 450 issues?

brocsdad
I overheard some guys at the track talking about handling issues with the 17 CRF 450. Everything I read in the magazine reviews were positive but they were talking about a motor mount reposition kit being made? I know they made one years back for the Yamaha but I've read nothing about the Honda. There was also talk about the swingarm being slightly longer on one side on the first production run causing the chainguide etc to wear out.

This is not typical of Honda and I just suggested a friend buy an 18 model.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!
|
kiwifan
7/23/2017 9:01pm
I own a RX and have a few mates with an R ...

- never seen anything about a motor mount re-position kit, however, the R does handle slightly better (if your friend is fast enough to notice it) with the RX motor hanger
- the chain guide is not because one swingarm side is longer than the other, however this might help .. http://www.vitalmx.com/news/press-release/TM-Designworks-LLC-Hot-Produc… - I use it as does my mates, worth its weight in gold
- the 2017 loves a remap, it runs much cleaner off the bottom plus power gains when remapped correctly...Tokyomods is highly recommended
- a Rekluse clutch is also recommended
- depending on your friends weight and skill level a 2017 will need stiffer springs front and rear - comes standard in 2018 (along with ES)

the 2018 will be a better bike stock than a 2017 judging on reviews thus far, in saying that the 2017 is not a bad bike.
brocsdad
7/23/2017 9:05pm
kiwifan wrote:
I own a RX and have a few mates with an R ... - never seen anything about a motor mount re-position kit, however, the R...

- never seen anything about a motor mount re-position kit, however, the R does handle slightly better (if your friend is fast enough to notice it) with the RX motor hanger
- the chain guide is not because one swingarm side is longer than the other, however this might help .. http://www.vitalmx.com/news/press-release/TM-Designworks-LLC-Hot-Produc… - I use it as does my mates, worth its weight in gold
- the 2017 loves a remap, it runs much cleaner off the bottom plus power gains when remapped correctly...Tokyomods is highly recommended
- depending on your friends weight and skill level a 2017 will need stiffer springs front and rear - comes standard in 2018 (along with ES)

the 2018 will be a better bike stock than a 2017 judging on reviews thus far, in saying that the 2017 is not a bad bike.
What is different about the RX motor mount? One guy is a local vet rider and the other guy qualifier for Loretta's in the A class but sold the crf and bought a YZ 250.

brocsdad
7/23/2017 9:08pm
kiwifan wrote:
I own a RX and have a few mates with an R ... - never seen anything about a motor mount re-position kit, however, the R...

What is different about the RX motor mount?

One guy is a local vet rider and the other guy qualifier for Loretta's in the A class but sold the crf and bought a YZ 250.
NeedMoto
7/23/2017 9:15pm
Love my 17. No handling issues. Like any bike, once you get the clickers set, bike balanced and correct spring rate, your golden.

25 hours and chain guide still good. The supposed longer swing arm associated with chain guide wear is not correct, and frankly I've never heard such a thing.

No motor mount relocate kit, just simply use RX model motor mount for slightly more flex.

Mapped mine and run race gas, runs outstanding! When cold it starts 2nd kick, rest of the day always starts 1st kick.

The Shop

kiwifan
7/24/2017 1:05pm
kiwifan wrote:

brocsdad wrote:
What is different about the RX motor mount? One guy is a local vet rider and the other guy qualifier for Loretta's in the A class...
What is different about the RX motor mount?

One guy is a local vet rider and the other guy qualifier for Loretta's in the A class but sold the crf and bought a YZ 250.
As per post below yours, the RX mount offers slightly more flex...that is standard on the 2018 R model

Post a reply to: 17 CRF 450 issues?

The Latest