1978 Super Bowl of Motocross

docrick
Fantasy
1594th
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XVTmQwkd2A&t=508s

Watched this a few times before and its always enjoyable. Mike Bell, the Hurricane and Gary Semics hitting hay bales and jumping mud pits designed by the once well known race promoter but now infamous Mike Goodwin.

The narration by David Stanfield and race coverage by Dave Despain are classic 70s-80s two stroke goodness.

Gary Semics posted recently and id love to hear your memory of that race & did your silencer really fall off? That part of the interview imagine is funny now! Thx

|
GarySemics
2/19/2019 12:48pm
Yes, the muffler really did fall off with 4 laps to go. I was also running a combo spring and air front forks. My mechanic was late getting the bike ready for the main, so I when to the start early in order to pick my gate position. When he finally brought the bike to the line, I noticed how low the front end was. He didn't put enough air in the forks. I was so mad! About that time the 2 minute board (in those days) went up. I ripped the hole shot and lead until the last few laps. Maybe i should have gotten that mad every time before the start. lol

quicken
2/19/2019 12:59pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2019 1:01pm
GarySemics wrote:
Yes, the muffler really did fall off with 4 laps to go. I was also running a combo spring and air front forks. My mechanic was...
Yes, the muffler really did fall off with 4 laps to go. I was also running a combo spring and air front forks. My mechanic was late getting the bike ready for the main, so I when to the start early in order to pick my gate position. When he finally brought the bike to the line, I noticed how low the front end was. He didn't put enough air in the forks. I was so mad! About that time the 2 minute board (in those days) went up. I ripped the hole shot and lead until the last few laps. Maybe i should have gotten that mad every time before the start. lol

"When he finally brought the bike to the line, I noticed how low the front end was. He didn't put enough air in the forks. I was so mad! About that time the 2 minute board (in those days) went up. I ripped the hole shot"

Maybe low air pressure = old school holeshot device. Whistling

Your mechanic was on to something Gary...
GarySemics
2/20/2019 12:00pm
GarySemics wrote:
Yes, the muffler really did fall off with 4 laps to go. I was also running a combo spring and air front forks. My mechanic was...

quicken wrote:
"When he finally brought the bike to the line, I noticed how low the front end was. He didn't put enough air in the forks. I...
"When he finally brought the bike to the line, I noticed how low the front end was. He didn't put enough air in the forks. I was so mad! About that time the 2 minute board (in those days) went up. I ripped the hole shot"

Maybe low air pressure = old school holeshot device. Whistling

Your mechanic was on to something Gary...
Ha ha, yeah it was better for the start but not so good for the track! lol

Post a reply to: 1978 Super Bowl of Motocross

The Latest