2 vets going to Mammoth

Grenader26
Edited Date/Time 1/11/2019 4:41pm
My brother and I have gotten back into Moto over the past few year after racing as kids in the 90’s. From Leona Valley in California now living in Denton Texas we have decided to race the 2019 Mammoth Motocross. We have a page on Facebook as well as instagram following our road to mammoth. Since we won’t be able to make any of the qualifiers we will be winging it. If you feel like following check out Aric and Brian do mammoth or our instagram @aricandbriandomammoth
|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
12/11/2018 4:47pm
Grenader26 wrote:
My brother and I have gotten back into Moto over the past few year after racing as kids in the 90’s. From Leona Valley in California...
My brother and I have gotten back into Moto over the past few year after racing as kids in the 90’s. From Leona Valley in California now living in Denton Texas we have decided to race the 2019 Mammoth Motocross. We have a page on Facebook as well as instagram following our road to mammoth. Since we won’t be able to make any of the qualifiers we will be winging it. If you feel like following check out Aric and Brian do mammoth or our instagram @aricandbriandomammoth
I didn't know you guys were from Leona Valley! We are buying in Lake Hughes right now. Following you guys on IG. When you get back out here to So Cal, let me know! And good luck guys!
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
12/11/2018 5:11pm Edited Date/Time 12/11/2018 5:12pm
Good luck!
How does that work, not riding the qualifiers? Is it a lottery to get in at that point? If so, be ready AF to enter the very minute the signups open online. That race sells out, same day.

The last time I raced it, they did not have qualifiers. It was just, "sign up and hope they have enough spots." It's a great track, great weekend, well-run and a great vibe. Have fun!
oldblood
12/11/2018 5:19pm
Two vet mxers walk into a bar in Mammoth, ,,,,,,,,
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
12/11/2018 5:20pm
Falcon wrote:
Good luck! How does that work, not riding the qualifiers? Is it a lottery to get in at that point? If so, be ready AF to...
Good luck!
How does that work, not riding the qualifiers? Is it a lottery to get in at that point? If so, be ready AF to enter the very minute the signups open online. That race sells out, same day.

The last time I raced it, they did not have qualifiers. It was just, "sign up and hope they have enough spots." It's a great track, great weekend, well-run and a great vibe. Have fun!
That's awesome you guys are going, such a fun race. I'm hooked and gone the last 4 years!

With sign ups, if you don't do a qualifier, you can just sign up when they open registration online. If you do it the morning they open I haven't heard of anyone getting turned away. Definitely a race thats on my calendar every year.

Here's a video I made about the 50th Anniversary race:
https://youtu.be/m_tUw8mgUug

The Shop

HuskyEd
12/11/2018 5:55pm
Grenader26 wrote:
My brother and I have gotten back into Moto over the past few year after racing as kids in the 90’s. From Leona Valley in California...
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I didn't know you guys were from Leona Valley! We are buying in Lake Hughes right now. Following you guys on IG. When you get back...
I didn't know you guys were from Leona Valley! We are buying in Lake Hughes right now. Following you guys on IG. When you get back out here to So Cal, let me know! And good luck guys!
Not much lake left in Lake Hughes. Sad.
OR Racer46
Fantasy
876th
12/11/2018 5:57pm
I destroyed my shoulder there a few years ago. But will be back this year ?
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
12/11/2018 6:31pm
Grenader26 wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I didn't know you guys were from Leona Valley! We are buying in Lake Hughes right now. Following you guys on IG. When you get back...
HuskyEd wrote:
Lake Elizabeth too. It really sucks
Grenader26
12/11/2018 6:45pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
HuskyEd wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Really I remember they used to be right up to Lake Elizabeth road. That’s a bummer. Hope to see you guys out there! We’ll be racing 30c and 40c maybe we’ll get to bump some bars! Here’s the link to the instagram if anyone cares to follow
Aric and Brian instagram
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
12/11/2018 7:02pm
HuskyEd wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Grenader26 wrote:
Really I remember they used to be right up to Lake Elizabeth road. That’s a bummer. Hope to see you guys out there! We’ll be racing...
Really I remember they used to be right up to Lake Elizabeth road. That’s a bummer. Hope to see you guys out there! We’ll be racing 30c and 40c maybe we’ll get to bump some bars! Here’s the link to the instagram if anyone cares to follow
Aric and Brian instagram
They are still there, just no water. Hasn’t been for quite a few years now. If we get a good rain they will fill up with a few inches and gives it a sort of “full” look, but that’s about it.

How long ago did you live in Leona?
Grenader26
12/11/2018 9:08pm
That’s a bummer. I moved from Leona in 2002. Actually move to mammoth and lived there till 2014. Then moved to Texas. My parents live in Mammoth and my grandparents still live in Leona.
Racerxx
12/11/2018 11:20pm Edited Date/Time 12/11/2018 11:26pm
If the two of you are racing 30c and 40c you shouldn't have any problems with sign-ups they run 2 divisions for those classes and they don't fill up in the first 10 minutes like some of the other classes. Be prepared when sign-ups open to non-qualifiers and have everything you need, AMA license is required, try going on x2 promotions early and set up an account. Don't forget to sign up for practice when you enter practice entries will sell out. I've been racing Mammoth for years by far my favorite race the only drawback is having to get in line so early on race day. I'm in Canyon Country like to train in hills off of 110th out in the desert some really nice GP tracks out there. Good luck guys

http://2xpromotions.com/
Brosho
12/12/2018 1:57am
Do you guys know if Mammoth allow for "bump ups"? suppose you are qualified to race 40c and 50c, and you either Win or come in the top 3 on Saturday, are you allowed to "bump up" to race in the 40b and 50b on Sunday to empty gate spots?

Also, how difficult would it be to race several classes a day? do they run the 50c race right after the 40c race? or is there a few races in between those races so riders racing both classes can get a little rest between motos?

Its been a long time since i last raced Mammoth but I really want to race it in 19.
TeamGreen
12/12/2018 7:27am
Brosho wrote:
Do you guys know if Mammoth allow for "bump ups"? suppose you are qualified to race 40c and 50c, and you either Win or come in...
Do you guys know if Mammoth allow for "bump ups"? suppose you are qualified to race 40c and 50c, and you either Win or come in the top 3 on Saturday, are you allowed to "bump up" to race in the 40b and 50b on Sunday to empty gate spots?

Also, how difficult would it be to race several classes a day? do they run the 50c race right after the 40c race? or is there a few races in between those races so riders racing both classes can get a little rest between motos?

Its been a long time since i last raced Mammoth but I really want to race it in 19.
Go check out 2X promotions and throw those Q’s at them, you’ll get answers. Last year our engineer raced 40C & 50C. It wasn’t too difficult. He did sleep really well, tho. Laughing
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
12/12/2018 7:34am
Brosho wrote:
Do you guys know if Mammoth allow for "bump ups"? suppose you are qualified to race 40c and 50c, and you either Win or come in...

Who are you kidding Craig, you couldn't race several classes a day if you started training now. Laughing

J/K, I'll spin the wrenches for you if you go.
Grenader26
12/12/2018 8:41am
I don’t know about bumping up classes. Sound like they get pretty full to allow something like that.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
12/12/2018 8:45am
With the Vet Weekend, the gates are full on Saturday, but Sunday sees a drop off of guys that don’t show up to the line for a variety of reasons.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
12/12/2018 8:52am
Racerxx wrote:
If the two of you are racing 30c and 40c you shouldn't have any problems with sign-ups they run 2 divisions for those classes and they...
If the two of you are racing 30c and 40c you shouldn't have any problems with sign-ups they run 2 divisions for those classes and they don't fill up in the first 10 minutes like some of the other classes. Be prepared when sign-ups open to non-qualifiers and have everything you need, AMA license is required, try going on x2 promotions early and set up an account. Don't forget to sign up for practice when you enter practice entries will sell out. I've been racing Mammoth for years by far my favorite race the only drawback is having to get in line so early on race day. I'm in Canyon Country like to train in hills off of 110th out in the desert some really nice GP tracks out there. Good luck guys

http://2xpromotions.com/
Let's get together out there at 110th. I'll be living about 5 minutes away
TeamGreen
12/12/2018 9:12am
With the Vet Weekend, the gates are full on Saturday, but Sunday sees a drop off of guys that don’t show up to the line for...
With the Vet Weekend, the gates are full on Saturday, but Sunday sees a drop off of guys that don’t show up to the line for a variety of reasons.
Tru'Dat!
Grenader26
12/12/2018 10:48am
With the Vet Weekend, the gates are full on Saturday, but Sunday sees a drop off of guys that don’t show up to the line for...
TeamGreen wrote:
Tru'Dat!
Seeing the track it’s understandable!
TeamGreen
12/12/2018 10:53am
TeamGreen wrote:
Tru'Dat!
Grenader26 wrote:
I got my Wooden Bears for both days and for 6th O/A...this year I;m going back for the WIN. 0-50 B. I saw a few get-offs. But, over-all, it's a pretty damn safe race week.
T-MAC
12/12/2018 10:58am Edited Date/Time 12/12/2018 11:00am
Does anyone know when they open registration online if you don't have to go the qualifier route?
KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
12/12/2018 11:51am
TeamGreen wrote:
Tru'Dat!
Grenader26 wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
I got my Wooden Bears for both days and for 6th O/A...this year I;m going back for the WIN. 0-50 B. I saw a few get-offs...
I got my Wooden Bears for both days and for 6th O/A...this year I;m going back for the WIN. 0-50 B. I saw a few get-offs. But, over-all, it's a pretty damn safe race week.
The only scary part of Mammoth is the start of every C Class moto ?. Otherwise the track and competition are good fun.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
12/12/2018 11:52am
T-MAC wrote:
Does anyone know when they open registration online if you don't have to go the qualifier route?
Normally it’s mid May, or about 2 weeks after the final qualifier.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
12/12/2018 11:59am
Grenader26 wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
I got my Wooden Bears for both days and for 6th O/A...this year I;m going back for the WIN. 0-50 B. I saw a few get-offs...
The only scary part of Mammoth is the start of every C Class moto ?. Otherwise the track and competition are good fun.
Which is exactly why I haven't raced it yet Laughing
KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
12/12/2018 12:28pm
TeamGreen wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Which is exactly why I haven't raced it yet Laughing
One year in the late 90s they were running the short start to the right around the tree. It was even more sketchy. I fouled a plug on my CR125 on the line, my dad swapped plugs, finished just as they dropped the gate, we kick it to life and I take off 10 seconds late and ended up with a top 20 start at the top of the hill because of the pile up and carnage.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
12/12/2018 3:50pm
You don't want to bump up any class at Mammoth! Laughing Racing C class is like being in Intermediate, B class is like pro, and I think you had better be a National Pro to race the Pro class.

The same year I won the Yamaha Dealer Series at Glen Helen in +30 Intermediate, I did not qualify for either day's main motos at Mammoth. Blush
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
12/12/2018 4:01pm
Falcon wrote:
You don't want to bump up any class at Mammoth! :laugh: Racing C class is like being in Intermediate, B class is like pro, and I...
You don't want to bump up any class at Mammoth! Laughing Racing C class is like being in Intermediate, B class is like pro, and I think you had better be a National Pro to race the Pro class.

The same year I won the Yamaha Dealer Series at Glen Helen in +30 Intermediate, I did not qualify for either day's main motos at Mammoth. Blush
Seriously. Seen it as a spectator for many years. Guys I knew raced intermediate and pro locally dropped down to c and b for mammoth. Another reason I haven't raced it yet.
wpark89
12/12/2018 6:45pm
If you guy's don't mind...I'd like to jump in on this Mammoth thread with a question. It's always been on my bucket list and I'll turn 40 next year and am thinking about trying to make it down.

I'm an ex Local Pro and have never had any problems riding a 250 2 stroke with 450's in the 30+ classes.

With the elevation and conditions at Mammoth would it be absolutely stupid to try to ride a 250 against new FI 450's?

I mean....is it going to be a much more severe disadvantage at Mammoth than it would be on a regualr track?

Post a reply to: 2 vets going to Mammoth

The Latest