2004 KX 250 project, finished.

Spagina767
Edited Date/Time 6/20/2014 5:51am
Figured i'd show my latest 2stroke refurbishing. Bought this 2004 kx 250 in fairly good condition about 2 1/2 weeks ago. It had a nearly new clutch, bottom end, top end. Tires were shot.. Front one was stock still. Needed overall TLC and some cleaning.

I didn't take too many process pictures but here is what I've got. The only downfall is I wish that I could have had the pipe stripped to factory, or got another pipe... Not a fan of chrome.

|
Spagina767
6/18/2014 7:47pm
Thanks. I'll add better pics of it outside when it's daylight. I just got done with it, and it's dark here on the east coast.
captmoto
6/18/2014 8:23pm
Calling bullshit on the new motor/clutch parts. Everybody selling a bike is a liar. It's the law on Vital. You got screwed.
Looks good.
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1089th
6/18/2014 11:12pm
Spagina767 wrote:
Figured i'd show my latest 2stroke refurbishing. Bought this 2004 kx 250 in fairly good condition about 2 1/2 weeks ago. It had a nearly new...
Figured i'd show my latest 2stroke refurbishing. Bought this 2004 kx 250 in fairly good condition about 2 1/2 weeks ago. It had a nearly new clutch, bottom end, top end. Tires were shot.. Front one was stock still. Needed overall TLC and some cleaning.

I didn't take too many process pictures but here is what I've got. The only downfall is I wish that I could have had the pipe stripped to factory, or got another pipe... Not a fan of chrome.

Looks tits. Good job!

The Shop

Spagina767
6/19/2014 3:08am
captmoto wrote:
Calling bullshit on the new motor/clutch parts. Everybody selling a bike is a liar. It's the law on Vital. You got screwed.
Looks good.
I tore everything apart, and inspected. I don't believe people either, trust me. Perfectly cross hatched cylinder. Piston and rings with Zero carbon. Crank with perfect tolerance. Not a single groove on clutch basket fingers. Measured clutch fibers with dial calipers and they were damn close to new. It was
Visible that every gasket was fresh as well.
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1089th
6/19/2014 6:50am
captmoto wrote:
Looks good.
Spagina767 wrote:
I tore everything apart, and inspected. I don't believe people either, trust me. Perfectly cross hatched cylinder. Piston and rings with Zero carbon. Crank with perfect...
I tore everything apart, and inspected. I don't believe people either, trust me. Perfectly cross hatched cylinder. Piston and rings with Zero carbon. Crank with perfect tolerance. Not a single groove on clutch basket fingers. Measured clutch fibers with dial calipers and they were damn close to new. It was
What graphics are those? Did you have them made? They came out super nice!
Spagina767
6/19/2014 7:22am
captmoto wrote:
Looks good.
Spagina767 wrote:
I tore everything apart, and inspected. I don't believe people either, trust me. Perfectly cross hatched cylinder. Piston and rings with Zero carbon. Crank with perfect...
They are Enjoy, the company that makes the factory Kwai graphics. These are the 2013 replica ones. I'm not real big on monster, so if I did my own kit I doubt it would look like this.. I was just tryin to do close to a factory Kawasaki replica.
G Force
6/19/2014 7:30am
Love it! Great job!

I have the same bike. I did not do a full resto, only fixed what was needed at the time. Replaced seized linkage, replaced airbox, seat, wheel bearings, other odds and ends.

Didnt have the cash to go big EG: Black rims, 2014 front fender/plate... but think about it every day.

Bike rips!

Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1089th
6/19/2014 9:43am
captmoto wrote:
Looks good.
Spagina767 wrote:
Still, looks clean man. Nice job.Smile
Flip109
6/19/2014 1:46pm
SWEET! Wish I could take few laps on that thing
DJS721
6/19/2014 5:37pm
Nice job on the Kawi Steve, if you really want a beast engine try a Boyesen V-Force. I added one to my 2006 and "WOW"!

Ran an FMF Gnarley and the short silencer and it was a rocket for sure.

ford832
6/19/2014 6:35pm
Sweet bike.Not sure about running a "Boyesen VForce" though.Blink Eyvind is rolling over in his grave.....
JBernard_401
6/19/2014 6:46pm
DJS721 wrote:
Nice job on the Kawi Steve, if you really want a beast engine try a Boyesen V-Force. I added one to my 2006 and "WOW"! Ran...
Nice job on the Kawi Steve, if you really want a beast engine try a Boyesen V-Force. I added one to my 2006 and "WOW"!

Ran an FMF Gnarley and the short silencer and it was a rocket for sure.

boyesen vforce? those are 2 different brands lol
motobtom
6/19/2014 8:47pm Edited Date/Time 6/19/2014 8:47pm
Why are you selling it already? Or do you restore bike for a hobby and resale? I saw it on BPG I believe. Looks beautiful BTW, good job.
Spagina767
6/20/2014 5:08am
motobtom wrote:
Why are you selling it already? Or do you restore bike for a hobby and resale? I saw it on BPG I believe. Looks beautiful BTW...
Why are you selling it already? Or do you restore bike for a hobby and resale? I saw it on BPG I believe. Looks beautiful BTW, good job.
Yep, I love to restore these last generation 2-strokes. It is what I do with my spare time... I just love turning a half decent last gen 2-stroke into a mint condition bike for someone who wants a good 2-stroke. I try to focus on last generation KX, CR, and RM/s since they aren't made anymore. Don't confuse me for a "bike flipper". I make sure these bikes are just as good as my race bike in the garage... I wouldn't sell anything that I wouldn't ride myself. I don't ride them though (other than break in), for fear of becoming attached and not being able to sell them! Some day, after student loans are paid off, I have a few replica bikes I would like to build and keep... just to look at.

I currently have a 2003 CR 125 that is my next project. I hope to build one of the nicest 125's available anywhere in the county. It will end up being a 134cc with the 6-speed transmission internals from a low-hour 1997 CR 125. Every single bearing, nut, bolt, etc will be new on this 125. I have yet to figure out which direction (looks wise) I am going with it yet. I am thinking Geico replica, Factory Honda replica, or modern day/ old school McGrath replica.
mxb2
6/20/2014 5:16am
I thought u knew, the vital.haters say dont use monster stickers if your not being paid.?, bike looks good imo.
DJS721
6/20/2014 5:34am
Holy brain fart....Rad Valve

Forgive me, it was past bed time...
Spagina767
6/20/2014 5:51am
mxb2 wrote:
I thought u knew, the vital.haters say dont use monster stickers if your not being paid.?, bike looks good imo.
I am being paid, the bike is for sale.

Yep, I'm not into monster either... but I wanted to make a (close to it) 2013 factory Kawi 2-stroke look alike. Other than the fact that I didn't dump money into a PC works pipe, I think it looks pretty close.

If I was keeping the bike, you wouldn't see any monster. anywhere.

Post a reply to: 2004 KX 250 project, finished.

The Latest