2015-2016 CRF450 Recall

motoman0
Fantasy
1251st
STOP SALE NOTICE: 2015 and 2016 CRF450R

Honda is launching a SAFETY RECALL of all model year 2015 and 2016 CRF450R motorcycles to replace a potentially defective transmission C5 gear. The transmission C5 gear dogs lack fatigue strength and may break. If a C5 gear dog breaks, the transmission can seize and cause the rear wheel to lock. A rear wheel that locks while riding increases the risk of a crash.
Effective immediately, YOU MUST NOT SELL any NEW or USED 2015 or 2016 CRF450R.

AFFECTED UNITS
2015 CRF450RAll Units
2016 CRF450RAll Units
To search for applicable recalls on a specific unit, use Unit Information on iN (effective August 15).
To manage your affected inventory, use eResponsibility Report (effective August 15).

SERVICE BULLETIN
Service Bulletin CRF450 #4, which includes the affected models, repair procedure, parts information, as well as warranty claim information, will be published on iN on August 25, 2017.

PARTS INFORMATION
A remedy part is available to correct the condition. Further parts availability information will be included in the forthcoming Service Bulletin.

CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION
AHM intends to mail customer letters as early as possible, pending approval from applicable government regulatory agencies

|
hubbardmx50
9/1/2017 5:24pm
My dealership just called me up right now, wow I did not even hear about this. Very glad to hear Honda is taking full responsibility for it. I guess I am not riding this weekend but that is better than locking the bike up over a jump.
Acidreamer
9/1/2017 5:37pm
Damn honda has quite a few motors to rebuild at dealership costs.
Jrewing
9/1/2017 5:39pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2017 6:02pm
confirmed it with my dealer in Australia
Dylan844
9/1/2017 6:33pm
Being a mechanic at a Honda dealership I agree this is good of Honda to step up and take responsibility for a problem that has been found. The only problem with recalls is they are hard on the dealers during a busy season and being paid on a pre-set amount

The Shop

hubbardmx50
9/1/2017 7:13pm
Yeah bad news for everybody. I have a brand new piston and top end gaskets ready to go, going to see if they will throw it in for me cheap since they will have the entire motor apart anyways. I am at almost 90hrs on my 2015. Awesome bike besides the forks.
9/1/2017 7:16pm
Dylan844 wrote:
Being a mechanic at a Honda dealership I agree this is good of Honda to step up and take responsibility for a problem that has been...
Being a mechanic at a Honda dealership I agree this is good of Honda to step up and take responsibility for a problem that has been found. The only problem with recalls is they are hard on the dealers during a busy season and being paid on a pre-set amount
On the other hand, they are predictable revenue for the dealer.
Jrewing
9/1/2017 7:17pm
Dylan844 wrote:
Being a mechanic at a Honda dealership I agree this is good of Honda to step up and take responsibility for a problem that has been...
And seeing as I was due for a bottom end much cheaper for me to put a new crank in!!
FIREfish148
9/1/2017 7:49pm
First I've heard of this problem... has anyone heard of this happening to anyone they know?
ianhendry46
9/1/2017 10:04pm
Dylan844 wrote:
And warranty flat rate doesn't pay shit. I'll look it up tomorrow but when I had to do the crank recalls in the CBR 300, they were only paying 6 hours. I imagine 8 hours will be the max they will pay.
BUT, where the dealer will benefit is the additional work of other wear parts if such is needed. I.e. Crank, crank bearings or transmission bearings etc.
curious to see how Honda will handle that.
mxb2
9/1/2017 10:09pm
First I've heard of this problem... has anyone heard of this happening to anyone they know?
X2, letters to.owners? A phone call to.verify vin? Phone #
ianhendry46
9/1/2017 10:10pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2017 10:12pm
Dylan844 wrote:
As a dealer tech myself, it doesn't matter. Warranty work usually hurts us techs in a pay period. Example. When Honda recalled the CBR300 for a bad crank, it only paid me 6 hours. That's getting a bike in, getting it set up, fluids drained, all parts removed, engine removed, tore down, crank and crank bearings replaced, rebuild motor and then put it back in the bike and have it running. How long do you think it would take you? My best time was 7.8 hours and it only paid 6. Do you know how flat rate works?

Edit: don't forget while we are in there, ALL seals, and o-rings get replaced
jeffro503
9/1/2017 10:20pm
Dylan844 wrote:
As a dealer tech myself, it doesn't matter. Warranty work usually hurts us techs in a pay period. Example. When Honda recalled the CBR300 for a...
As a dealer tech myself, it doesn't matter. Warranty work usually hurts us techs in a pay period. Example. When Honda recalled the CBR300 for a bad crank, it only paid me 6 hours. That's getting a bike in, getting it set up, fluids drained, all parts removed, engine removed, tore down, crank and crank bearings replaced, rebuild motor and then put it back in the bike and have it running. How long do you think it would take you? My best time was 7.8 hours and it only paid 6. Do you know how flat rate works?

You would think Honda ( or any major manufacture ) would pay the correct amount of hours. Can't you guys refuse to do the work if you aren't paid accordingly? I guess it's kind of a forced hand thing.....meaning do it , or else I guess?
ianhendry46
9/1/2017 10:32pm
As a dealer tech myself, it doesn't matter. Warranty work usually hurts us techs in a pay period. Example. When Honda recalled the CBR300 for a...

jeffro503 wrote:
You would think Honda ( or any major manufacture ) would pay the correct amount of hours. Can't you guys refuse to do the work if...
You would think Honda ( or any major manufacture ) would pay the correct amount of hours. Can't you guys refuse to do the work if you aren't paid accordingly? I guess it's kind of a forced hand thing.....meaning do it , or else I guess?
Not really. We can fuss and our manager call Honda and ask for more time, which at most is an hour. At my dealership, if you refuse to work on something, even if you're getting screwed, you get a write up. This problem MAINLY applies to warranty work though. All manufacturers screw us on warranty work and it's just something that is a downfall of working in this industry. It hurts us big time during busy season because it's time lost. In the time that it takes me to do the 2 recalls on the Polaris RZR 170, that only pays 2.5 hours(takes about 3.5) I can do a full service on a Mule PRO-FXT that pays 5 hours. The goal as a tech is to be able to beat flat rate. Experience and knowledge allow us to do that on some jobs. Some do better than others, but we can't really best warranty flat rate, that is set by a guy that designed it, in a controlled room on a clean machine that has been apart 100 times.
jeffro503
9/1/2017 10:43pm

jeffro503 wrote:
You would think Honda ( or any major manufacture ) would pay the correct amount of hours. Can't you guys refuse to do the work if...
Not really. We can fuss and our manager call Honda and ask for more time, which at most is an hour. At my dealership, if you...
Not really. We can fuss and our manager call Honda and ask for more time, which at most is an hour. At my dealership, if you refuse to work on something, even if you're getting screwed, you get a write up. This problem MAINLY applies to warranty work though. All manufacturers screw us on warranty work and it's just something that is a downfall of working in this industry. It hurts us big time during busy season because it's time lost. In the time that it takes me to do the 2 recalls on the Polaris RZR 170, that only pays 2.5 hours(takes about 3.5) I can do a full service on a Mule PRO-FXT that pays 5 hours. The goal as a tech is to be able to beat flat rate. Experience and knowledge allow us to do that on some jobs. Some do better than others, but we can't really best warranty flat rate, that is set by a guy that designed it, in a controlled room on a clean machine that has been apart 100 times.
I hear ya. I'm not in your field at all , but in construction. It works a little different for us if we watch what we're doing from the start. Remodel work , a home owner ( 9 out of 10 times ) will always tryt to throw in extra stuff that wasn't originally talked about. I've learned over the years to write up a very detailed proposal , so when something new comes along , I submit a PO or just work a deal out with the home owners so I can be compensated for it.

In your line of work.....it almost sounds like HONDA themselves tore down the exact same bike a 1000 times and took the record setting time they did it in , and that's what they decided a tech should be able to do it in. Kind of screwing the shops that sell their motorcycles. I understand it and get it.....doesn't make it right though.
hubbardmx50
9/2/2017 1:38pm
Just dropped my 15' off at a dealer here in CA. They are going to throw my top end in for half a day of labor ($50). Super happy, can't wait to have the bike back.
9/2/2017 1:48pm
Just dropped my 15' off at a dealer here in CA. They are going to throw my top end in for half a day of labor...
Just dropped my 15' off at a dealer here in CA. They are going to throw my top end in for half a day of labor ($50). Super happy, can't wait to have the bike back.
sounds like from reading above, they'll take your $50 and sell your top end to make up the short fall lol.

and half a day labor for $50.. what country are these people from???
hubbardmx50
9/2/2017 2:00pm Edited Date/Time 9/2/2017 2:02pm
Just dropped my 15' off at a dealer here in CA. They are going to throw my top end in for half a day of labor...
68 wrote:
sounds like from reading above, they'll take your $50 and sell your top end to make up the short fall lol. and half a day labor...
sounds like from reading above, they'll take your $50 and sell your top end to make up the short fall lol.

and half a day labor for $50.. what country are these people from???
I already had the piston, they are providing all gaskets. Most shops here charge close to 500 for a top end rebuild. Doing it myself takes about 3-4 hours. I would rather pay $50 in labor anyday.
9/2/2017 2:57pm
Aren't recall repairs free?
To the customer. The repair is submitted to the manufacturer.
9/4/2017 9:10pm
Jrewing wrote:
Where is your dealer in Australia? I spoke with my local dealer, they knew nothing. I rang Honda Australia, they knew nothing of it except people like myself calling them quoting your post?
Ryno23
Fantasy
878th
9/4/2017 9:28pm

I'm a service manager at a Honda shop and my best tech got close to the 6 hours but that was after he had already done 3 CBR crank recalls. I know it sucks as a tech but as a service manager I will take care of my techs if the number is just unattainable with warranty time. I pay my guys a good comission on flat rate so seeing a tech get discouraged isn't a good thing. So I will give them some in house "goodwill" time to try to make up for it. Keeping my techs happy isn't always very easy but a little can also go a long ways and I will get more out of them in the long run. That's how I make warranty stuff work at my shop anyway.
Jrewing
9/4/2017 11:40pm Edited Date/Time 9/4/2017 11:42pm
Jrewing wrote:
Where is your dealer in Australia? I spoke with my local dealer, they knew nothing. I rang Honda Australia, they knew nothing of it except people...
Where is your dealer in Australia? I spoke with my local dealer, they knew nothing. I rang Honda Australia, they knew nothing of it except people like myself calling them quoting your post?
Sorry man made it all up!!

Nah Brookvale freedom machine. I rang and they rang back confirming. Need a couple of weeks then they'll start contacting who they sold to.
Saw a WA shop had it on their Facebook too

Who's your shop?
Acidreamer
9/5/2017 2:13am
Cbr300 is a bit more complex than a dirtbike motor. That being said i bet they give 4 hours to do a dirtbike haha. My best time on my bikes was 8 hours. Wasnt trying to rush by any means. I hope you dealership mechanics dont either.
9/5/2017 3:30am Edited Date/Time 9/5/2017 9:35pm
Jrewing wrote:
Where is your dealer in Australia? I spoke with my local dealer, they knew nothing. I rang Honda Australia, they knew nothing of it except people...
Jrewing wrote:
Sorry man made it all up!! Nah Brookvale freedom machine. I rang and they rang back confirming. Need a couple of weeks then they'll start contacting...

Nah Brookvale freedom machine. I rang and they rang back confirming. Need a couple of weeks then they'll start contacting who they sold to.

Who's your shop?
Sorry if it came across as if i was calling you out LOL. I am in Coffs Hbr NSW, Its weird Honda Aus knew nothing , the guy did some checking and rang me back, said he could not find a thing, said he also checked with some warranty Australia register and found zip. Good to know what you have heard, i guess ill sit back for a couple of weeks and inquire again.
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
9/5/2017 4:36am

jeffro503 wrote:
Not really. We can fuss and our manager call Honda and ask for more time, which at most is an hour. At my dealership, if you...
What's a experienced tech make on a good week with say a bunch of Mule Pro-FXT inline that allows you to finish under the stub hours?
9/5/2017 9:37pm
Jrewing wrote:
Sorry man made it all up!! Nah Brookvale freedom machine. I rang and they rang back confirming. Need a couple of weeks then they'll start contacting...

Who's your shop?
Sorry if it came across as if i was calling you out LOL. I am in Coffs Hbr NSW, Its weird Honda Aus knew nothing...
Sorry if it came across as if i was calling you out LOL. I am in Coffs Hbr NSW, Its weird Honda Aus knew nothing , the guy did some checking and rang me back, said he could not find a thing, said he also checked with some warranty Australia register and found zip. Good to know what you have heard, i guess ill sit back for a couple of weeks and inquire again.
I got a phone call from my dealer today saying to bring my bike for the recall repair. LOL Big change from yesterday when they or Honda said nothing was happening. Thanks for you post, if it hadnt been for your info, i did think i would have ever been informed.
Jrewing
9/6/2017 1:27am
Haha good stuff mate. I'm pumped as my bottom end is not long for the world so I'm getting that done at the same time. Was budgeting 800-1000 now 300 in parts. Thanks Honda
philG
9/6/2017 1:58am
jeffro503 wrote:
You obviously have no idea how the motorcycle/ auto industry calculates its times.

Warranty work not only stiffs you on times (never enough), they also stiff you on the rate at well... so where you might be charging $50 an hour for retail , warranty will pay you $38. And then they will only pay you 4 hours for a 5 hour job.

So instead of $250 , you get paid $190... but then there is the kicker, that Techs will get bonus for recovered hours, so if they bill out 10 hours in a 8 hours day , then they will get a bonus , some places its a fixed sum , where you get extra , if you do well, but lose if you don't have enough billable... so a shop full of warranty work is the last thing a tech wants , as he is working to lose money.

shmoo
Fantasy
226th
9/6/2017 1:59am
motoman0 wrote:
STOP SALE NOTICE: 2015 and 2016 CRF450R Honda is launching a SAFETY RECALL of all model year 2015 and 2016 CRF450R motorcycles to replace a potentially...

Honda is launching a SAFETY RECALL of all model year 2015 and 2016 CRF450R motorcycles to replace a potentially defective transmission C5 gear. The transmission C5 gear dogs lack fatigue strength and may break. If a C5 gear dog breaks, the transmission can seize and cause the rear wheel to lock. A rear wheel that locks while riding increases the risk of a crash.

AFFECTED UNITS
2015 CRF450RAll Units
2016 CRF450RAll Units
To search for applicable recalls on a specific unit, use Unit Information on iN (effective August 15).
To manage your affected inventory, use eResponsibility Report (effective August 15).

SERVICE BULLETIN
Service Bulletin CRF450 #4, which includes the affected models, repair procedure, parts information, as well as warranty claim information, will be published on iN on August 25, 2017.

PARTS INFORMATION
A remedy part is available to correct the condition. Further parts availability information will be included in the forthcoming Service Bulletin.

CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION
AHM intends to mail customer letters as early as possible, pending approval from applicable government regulatory agencies

There's a 5th gear?
Jrewing
9/6/2017 2:24am
motoman0 wrote:
STOP SALE NOTICE: 2015 and 2016 CRF450R Honda is launching a SAFETY RECALL of all model year 2015 and 2016 CRF450R motorcycles to replace a potentially...

AFFECTED UNITS
2015 CRF450RAll Units
2016 CRF450RAll Units

SERVICE BULLETIN

PARTS INFORMATION

CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION

shmoo wrote:
There's a 5th gear?
Haha I know hey.

Post a reply to: 2015-2016 CRF450 Recall

The Latest