2017 IRC Tire Carnegie Classic Hillclimb and Enduroclimb Race Recap

JM485
10/23/2017 8:22pm Edited Date/Time 10/26/2017 12:19pm
Two weeks ago the second annual IRC Tire Carnegie Classic took place at Carnegie SVRA in northern CA. This year a new event was added, Enduroclimb, and it was an absolute huge success! The class drew some big names such as Kyle Redmond and Wild Wally Palmer from the endurocross world, and it was awesome lining up with those guys. Keep an eye on this new form of racing, judging by the response we got it's absolutely going to grow, and even though it was a first time deal it was the most popular event by far of the whole weekend.

My races for the weekend went okay, not exactly what I was looking for but I'll take it. I got the chance to swing my leg over an open class bike for the first time, and was happy to come away with a 12th place finish, which I thought was pretty respectable since I had never ridden one before. I also ended up 12th in the 451-700cc class, which I wasn't too happy with, plus to add insult to injury I blew my 500 up at the end of my last run.Pinch My best finish for the weekend was 4th in 450 Pro, which for me is alright but I really wanted to take home a win. Regardless, I felt like I put down a great run, but I needed to click 3rd mid hill to get on the podium in hind sight, and I just wasn't sure if the bike would pull another gear. It's kind of a fine balance, you don't want to ruin a good run when you have one, but at the same time you have to take a risk some times to go for the win and in the end playing things safe didn't work out. I'm beyond sick of hovering around 3rd-5th place, it's time to start winning damn it!

Ironically, I ended up making more money from the damn pitbike race Saturday night then from the hillclimb.HuhGrinning There was a 70% pro payback + $100 thrown in on top of that, winner take all. At least I won something that weekend. . .Whistling

Here are some photos and videos from the event. The first two are from my gopro, and the third one was made by a friend of mine and is a great recap of all the action from the Enduroclimb event. He gives a good perspective of the course during his qualifying run, then rolls right into a recap of the event action.

If anyone has any questions please ask! Hillclimb has been somewhat lost in the fray over the last few decades, and now we have some great people making a big push to bring it back. As the oldest form of motorcycle racing in the US (over 100 years of competition), it's evolved a lot over the last ten years or so, with modern bikes and extremely fast riders pushing things to a new level.

https://youtu.be/iZGgP08Kwb0

https://youtu.be/rHg6cjvvh54

https://youtu.be/4abSsOYGnpI

Check that "first time on an open bike" styleSilly

You can probably guess who won this match up. . .

I think I'm just going to retire and take up pitbike racing, more lucrative.

|
Johnny Depp
10/24/2017 5:33am
Thanks for posting Josh. Looks like real fun. So that open bike was borrowed? Multi cylinder street engine? That paddle tire looks like it hooks up.
sparker245
10/24/2017 9:47am
Spent many weekends at Carnegie climbing some of those (smaller) hills when I was a kid. Nice write up and video. Congratulations.
JM485
10/24/2017 8:16pm
Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed.

Johnny, the open bike was borrowed from a friend/teammate of mine. It's got a 4 cylinder street bike motor in it, can't remember what kind but I think it's a 1200 if I remember correctly. Either way, it was surprisingly easy to ride on the simple practice hill, but riding it on the much more technical race hill was a lot different. As you can imagine, they are pretty weird ergonomically, so it's going to take some time to get used to riding one. The paddle also has bolts in it, hence the extra aluminum fender (which is mandatory, for obvious reasons). . . Can you say traction!Woohoo
Bruce372
10/24/2017 8:43pm
Looking good mate. Let's get a crew together for a Carnegie trail ride, we are back in action come November

The Shop

RBernardi85
10/24/2017 9:10pm
Pretty rad! I was supposed to come up and enter, never happened. Looking forward to another chance. Any video from the pitbike races?
JM485
10/24/2017 9:17pm
Bruce372 wrote:
Looking good mate. Let's get a crew together for a Carnegie trail ride, we are back in action come November
Sounds good to me, we'll go in some "fun" trails.Evil

RBernardi85, check the end of the second video, I had some camera malfunctions but I added what I had at the end of that video. The event will be back next year, plus another Carnegie race in April, as well as a big event coming in Reno, NV March/April of next year, so there will be plenty more chances to enter!
David934
10/26/2017 5:35am
Nice blockpass 485. Enduroclimbing with two riders looks like good fun.
JM485
10/26/2017 12:19pm
David934 wrote:
Nice blockpass 485. Enduroclimbing with two riders looks like good fun.
Not gonna lie I felt kind of bad about that one, but after watching all the videos of it I don't think I actually made any contact so it was a clean pass. I'd expect the same from anyone though, everyone wants to win and if you leave the door open someone WILL take it, it's just the nature of vericross racing. Our local accouncer always says "there's no friends in verticross", and that definitely holds trueLaughing

Post a reply to: 2017 IRC Tire Carnegie Classic Hillclimb and Enduroclimb Race Recap

The Latest