2018 TC 250 review (jetting, power valve )

opyguy
|
1/5/2018 1:01pm
From watching some of the numerous Youtube vid showing up on these bike I'm having some thoughts.

I'm a 350 4 stroke guy but from the reports of better torque down low and less hit up top, it's got me thinking.

Really hope KTM does the demo days at the Loretta Lynn Spring Ride in April. I'll give one of these a shot.

What I cant seem to find out is....What is the REAL weight difference between my 2016 350 and a new 250 or 300 TPI 2 stroke? If they fill them with gas...I'd really want them to be filled with the SAME amount of gas to get a comparison.

I noticed in one vid they compared the weight of an old vs new 2t....but one had spring forks and the other air. Thats not really a true comparo.
1/5/2018 6:27pm
From watching some of the numerous Youtube vid showing up on these bike I'm having some thoughts. I'm a 350 4 stroke guy but from the...
From watching some of the numerous Youtube vid showing up on these bike I'm having some thoughts.

I'm a 350 4 stroke guy but from the reports of better torque down low and less hit up top, it's got me thinking.

Really hope KTM does the demo days at the Loretta Lynn Spring Ride in April. I'll give one of these a shot.

What I cant seem to find out is....What is the REAL weight difference between my 2016 350 and a new 250 or 300 TPI 2 stroke? If they fill them with gas...I'd really want them to be filled with the SAME amount of gas to get a comparison.

I noticed in one vid they compared the weight of an old vs new 2t....but one had spring forks and the other air. Thats not really a true comparo.
They don't need to be filled with the same amount of fuel to figure the weight difference since the weight of gas is a known quantity (6 lbs/gallon)

2016 KTM 350sxf with a full 1.8 gallon = 10.8 pounds + 224 dry weight = 234.8 pounds (not including oil/coolant).

2016 KTM 350xcf with a full 2.25 gallon tank = 13.5 pounds + 226.9 dry weight = 240.4 (not including oil/coolant). So with 1.8 gallons = 237.7 pound.

2018 KTM 250exc w/ TPI with a full 2.37 gallon tank = 14.22 pounds + 227 dry weight = 241.22 pounds (not including oil/coolant). SO with 1.8 gallons = 237.8

*2018 KTM 300 exc w/ TPI claims same dry weight as 250 with same size gas tank

Difference in weight seems negligible at best. Hard to think that the weight of the bike itself would matter when compared to the impact of the difference in rotating mass between 2 vs 4 while in motion...
jeffro503
1/5/2018 8:04pm
Cool...Thanks for the breakdown. I have NO experience on a 2 stroke (except many years ago as a kid) It will be fun to give it...
Cool...Thanks for the breakdown.
I have NO experience on a 2 stroke (except many years ago as a kid)
It will be fun to give it a whirl.
The only true way to know ....is to spend some time on one. Some guys hate the 2 strokes , some guys spend a little time on them , then go back to the 4 strokes. And then some......find out that it was exactly what they were looking for , and decide to keep running them.

I'm in the last group. It revived my riding completely , and made me feel things in my riding like when I was a kid. And too me....if a bike can make me feel that good , when the 4 strokes weren't interesting for me in the ways they used to be... Was a no brainer.

I seriously don't really feel at a disadvantage on the tracks against the 4 strokes. It's my riding style I guess , but I can ride harder , longer motos on my 2 strokes.

Post a reply to: 2018 TC 250 review (jetting, power valve )

The Latest