2019 KTM 125

BobPA
3/2/2018 11:56am
JWACK wrote:
Wonder if they will get the new thicker down tube like the 4 strokes will recieve? Mxa reported that they upsized the downtube to be 10%...
Wonder if they will get the new thicker down tube like the 4 strokes will recieve? Mxa reported that they upsized the downtube to be 10% stiffer on the factory edition/rockstar edition to reduce failures in that area. We have seen plenty of pics of this failure lately and it's something that I don't want to experience. And I sometimes hit 4th gear booters so it's a concern of mine. I was thinking about picking up a great deal on an 18 250sx but may wait to see if the frame gets the same upgrades as the 4 bangers.
BobPA wrote:
Can you elaborate on these pics? I have only seen the broken linkage picture so far.
JWACK wrote:
I'm not trying to turn this into a crap on ktm frame thread as I'm thinkin of buying another ktm smoker. I just find it interesting...
I'm not trying to turn this into a crap on ktm frame thread as I'm thinkin of buying another ktm smoker. I just find it interesting that it was mentioned in mxa that the down tube was beefed up on the new frame due to failures.

https://m.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Another-snapt-KTM-frame,1330488
Good info really, I will be checking mine a bit more often now.
chump6784
3/2/2018 1:39pm
logan_140 wrote:
Yamaha continues to get left behind with the smokers...
But there isn't an 8 page thread in the Tech section trying to get the yz's jetted properly
Steadman
3/2/2018 1:52pm Edited Date/Time 3/2/2018 8:21pm
ML512 wrote:
Carb, we won't see the port injected added to the MX models for a couple years.
Steadman wrote:
Is it safe to say they are testing and feeling things out with the enduro TPI models? I find it odd they didn't offer a TPI...
Is it safe to say they are testing and feeling things out with the enduro TPI models? I find it odd they didn't offer a TPI model across the entire two stroke range (XC, SX being excluded)
ML512 wrote:
I rode one, it calms things down a bit too much. For instance, Graham Jarvis, long time 300 guy swapped to a 450 cause he wasn’t...
I rode one, it calms things down a bit too much. For instance, Graham Jarvis, long time 300 guy swapped to a 450 cause he wasn’t agreeing with the power output of the 300 TPI...

To bring it to Moto will still take a bit of work and the price jump is gonna be noticeable.

As far as I’m aware, the 125 SX and 250 SX will just receive frame, bodywork and suspension updates. They both got major engine overhauls in recent years.
From most of the reviews I've read about TPI units, smooth seems to be the common theme, lacking punch if you will. I hear what you are saying then. I noticed Graham had been avoiding the TPI model. Interesting. I'm sure it will only get better.
3/2/2018 2:04pm Edited Date/Time 3/3/2018 1:54pm
Hopefully better quality control than the 18's.

The Shop

chuckdavies
3/3/2018 10:06am
To anyone with an eagles eye, what's different to the 18 model?
I believe it has the new frame, subframe the same as the FE 450, as well as the airbox/plastics/seat/tank.

New exhaust and silencer (looks to be new shape oem exhaust but without nickel plating. Silencer now has normal mounting as opposed to the plastic bracket from the 18.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
3/3/2018 10:11am
To anyone with an eagles eye, what's different to the 18 model?
I believe it has the new frame, subframe the same as the FE 450, as well as the airbox/plastics/seat/tank. New exhaust and silencer (looks to be...
I believe it has the new frame, subframe the same as the FE 450, as well as the airbox/plastics/seat/tank.

New exhaust and silencer (looks to be new shape oem exhaust but without nickel plating. Silencer now has normal mounting as opposed to the plastic bracket from the 18.
Don’t see much. Same aluminum engine mounts at the 18. I bet it has the narrow radiators and slimmer plastics. He looks to be running a different linkage, but not stock.
3/3/2018 10:19am
logan_140 wrote:
chump6784 wrote:
But there isn't an 8 page thread in the Tech section trying to get the yz's jetted properly
well they've only had 20 years to sort out the jetting because the engine hasn't changed once during that time, so i'd hope there aren't 8+ page threads Grinning
yz133rider
3/3/2018 10:37am
logan_140 wrote:
chump6784 wrote:
Because there's been 500 pages on that over the last 13 years....
Motofinne
3/3/2018 11:59am
logan_140 wrote:
chump6784 wrote:
well they've only had 20 years to sort out the jetting because the engine hasn't changed once during that time, so i'd hope there aren't 8+...
well they've only had 20 years to sort out the jetting because the engine hasn't changed once during that time, so i'd hope there aren't 8+ page threads Grinning
This is Vital, don't come here and post logical things!!!
chuckdavies
3/4/2018 2:11am
Don’t see much. Same aluminum engine mounts at the 18. I bet it has the narrow radiators and slimmer plastics. He looks to be running a...
Don’t see much. Same aluminum engine mounts at the 18. I bet it has the narrow radiators and slimmer plastics. He looks to be running a different linkage, but not stock.
Looks like an HSL link used by a lot of GP teams (Rear holeshot device)
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
3/4/2018 8:19am
JWACK wrote:
Wonder if they will get the new thicker down tube like the 4 strokes will recieve? Mxa reported that they upsized the downtube to be 10%...
Wonder if they will get the new thicker down tube like the 4 strokes will recieve? Mxa reported that they upsized the downtube to be 10% stiffer on the factory edition/rockstar edition to reduce failures in that area. We have seen plenty of pics of this failure lately and it's something that I don't want to experience. And I sometimes hit 4th gear booters so it's a concern of mine. I was thinking about picking up a great deal on an 18 250sx but may wait to see if the frame gets the same upgrades as the 4 bangers.
Sounds like all the Motocross bikes will have the new updated chassis.
JWACK wrote:
Geometry is the same but just beefed up. I like that. I'm hoping for that and some steel engine case spacers at the swingarm pivot. But...
Geometry is the same but just beefed up. I like that. I'm hoping for that and some steel engine case spacers at the swingarm pivot. But that would be weight gain!
I have a 16 and I love the chassis except for the forks. Mine has the 4CS forks and I tried not letting the reputation influence my opinion but people are right, these forks suck. The motor is fun although I’d be lying if I said I was totally satisfied with it. It doesn’t have much over rev, you really can’t scream it like a traditional 125. It does have good power though so you can actually lug it a little. I think I need to work on my jetting. It seems to be more finicky to weather changes than any other bike I have. I rode it yesterday and definitely had fun with it though.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
3/4/2018 9:16am
JWACK wrote:
Geometry is the same but just beefed up. I like that. I'm hoping for that and some steel engine case spacers at the swingarm pivot. But...
Geometry is the same but just beefed up. I like that. I'm hoping for that and some steel engine case spacers at the swingarm pivot. But that would be weight gain!
731chopper wrote:
I have a 16 and I love the chassis except for the forks. Mine has the 4CS forks and I tried not letting the reputation influence...
I have a 16 and I love the chassis except for the forks. Mine has the 4CS forks and I tried not letting the reputation influence my opinion but people are right, these forks suck. The motor is fun although I’d be lying if I said I was totally satisfied with it. It doesn’t have much over rev, you really can’t scream it like a traditional 125. It does have good power though so you can actually lug it a little. I think I need to work on my jetting. It seems to be more finicky to weather changes than any other bike I have. I rode it yesterday and definitely had fun with it though.
Have you tried messing with the power valve? 1/2 turn on the adjuster makes a dramatic change on where the power hits and how long it pulls.
gsxr6
3/4/2018 9:31am
JWACK wrote:
731chopper wrote:
I have a 16 and I love the chassis except for the forks. Mine has the 4CS forks and I tried not letting the reputation influence...
Lol tmx. That's something that cr owners solved 15+ years ago lol. Ditch the carb for a keihin. Even a pj is better....
hellion
3/4/2018 11:47am
But it’s not just the carb. It’s a sloppily designed cylinder head, and reed cage. And then they don’t even use power jet technology with tps like Yamaha’s been doing forever. I’d love a new TC, but I’d rather wait until this is sorted, because I’ve ridden 17’s that were set up well and they still weren’t jetted clean enough. Hopefully soon....
BobPA
3/4/2018 1:11pm
gsxr6 wrote:
Lol tmx. That's something that cr owners solved 15+ years ago lol. Ditch the carb for a keihin. Even a pj is better....
Plenty of 125's have had the TMX throughout history...including my current kawasaki. Never have had an issue getting them sorted. Sounds like and internet problem being blown out of proportion.
Rickyisms
3/4/2018 1:33pm
hellion wrote:
But it’s not just the carb. It’s a sloppily designed cylinder head, and reed cage. And then they don’t even use power jet technology with tps...
But it’s not just the carb. It’s a sloppily designed cylinder head, and reed cage. And then they don’t even use power jet technology with tps like Yamaha’s been doing forever. I’d love a new TC, but I’d rather wait until this is sorted, because I’ve ridden 17’s that were set up well and they still weren’t jetted clean enough. Hopefully soon....
I would love for you to ride my 16 125SX and tell me it's not jetted clean.
3/4/2018 1:43pm
logan_140 wrote:
If they cared, they'd do something about it. Still plenty of people forking over cash for the same 13 year old design.
chump6784
3/4/2018 3:43pm
chump6784 wrote:
well they've only had 20 years to sort out the jetting because the engine hasn't changed once during that time, so i'd hope there aren't 8+...
Motofinne wrote:
All good. While you ktm nut huggers are buying new carbs and reed cages I'll ride my yz which came jetted near perfectly from the factory and still has the original reeds in it cos they seal properly
3/4/2018 3:58pm
Motofinne wrote:
chump6784 wrote:
All good. While you ktm nut huggers are buying new carbs and reed cages I'll ride my yz which came jetted near perfectly from the factory...
All good. While you ktm nut huggers are buying new carbs and reed cages I'll ride my yz which came jetted near perfectly from the factory and still has the original reeds in it cos they seal properly
Yamaha tattoo?
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
3/4/2018 4:07pm
Motofinne wrote:
chump6784 wrote:
All good. While you ktm nut huggers are buying new carbs and reed cages I'll ride my yz which came jetted near perfectly from the factory...
Cool story bro. When I had a YZ I knew how to change jets. These days I’m on a KTM and I still can change the jets!
MX915
3/4/2018 4:43pm
chump6784 wrote:
Well to be fair they've only had over a decade to perfect the jetting on those motors. Do bold new graphics affect the settings?
JRT812
3/4/2018 5:21pm
Motofinne wrote:
Please, please update the SX 250 too.
#76 wrote:
This^
Please please bring back the 200... preferably in a sx version l, but will take anything.
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
3/4/2018 6:27pm
Have you tried messing with the power valve? 1/2 turn on the adjuster makes a dramatic change on where the power hits and how long it...
Have you tried messing with the power valve? 1/2 turn on the adjuster makes a dramatic change on where the power hits and how long it pulls.
No I haven’t. I will give that a shot next time. I rode Saturday and Today but with my boys out at our track with me I have a bad habit of just running it and not dialing it in since I’m playing with them while I take breaks. I even took a soil sample this morning and bent the bars but still kept doing my motos, lol.
endurox
3/4/2018 6:47pm
hellion wrote:
But it’s not just the carb. It’s a sloppily designed cylinder head, and reed cage. And then they don’t even use power jet technology with tps...
VHM head and SX insert and cutting slide to a 5.75 made big difference on my 17 model. Also float level is set way to high.
hellion
3/5/2018 9:19am
hellion wrote:
Rickyisms wrote:
Sorry, I know the thread started with the 125 talk but it evolved into the inevitable KTM bash/love thing it always does. I was referring to the 250 with my comment. I had a recent 150 that was super clean running with only minor tuning too.
Vince_192
3/5/2018 10:06am
ML512 wrote:
I rode one, it calms things down a bit too much. For instance, Graham Jarvis, long time 300 guy swapped to a 450 cause he wasn’t...
I rode one, it calms things down a bit too much. For instance, Graham Jarvis, long time 300 guy swapped to a 450 cause he wasn’t agreeing with the power output of the 300 TPI...

To bring it to Moto will still take a bit of work and the price jump is gonna be noticeable.

As far as I’m aware, the 125 SX and 250 SX will just receive frame, bodywork and suspension updates. They both got major engine overhauls in recent years.
There has been some R&D with the 125sx engine and a fuel injection system.
Enrico Tomasin, ex. GP mechanic and nowadays a famous tuner in the GP scene has built a fuel injected 125 couple years ago (Some may remember the bike, it was unveiled at EICMA - Honda crf chassis and a 125sx engine). They were doing R&D for couple years, quite a lot money got into the project - I think he made 3 project bikes/engines for testing, but it came to the same problem - the bikes were not competitive.
Rickyisms
3/15/2018 7:15am
hellion wrote:
Rickyisms wrote:
hellion wrote:
Sorry, I know the thread started with the 125 talk but it evolved into the inevitable KTM bash/love thing it always does. I was referring to...
Sorry, I know the thread started with the 125 talk but it evolved into the inevitable KTM bash/love thing it always does. I was referring to the 250 with my comment. I had a recent 150 that was super clean running with only minor tuning too.
??
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
3/15/2018 7:25am
I would be surprised the 250sx gets a update just after 2 years in that chassis. But I was surprised the same bike didn't get the update in 2016. Maybe they'll get the smoker line up to speed this year and they'll all be on the same platform.

Post a reply to: 2019 KTM 125

The Latest