2019 KTM 150 SX Pro's Con's ?

Bruce372
11/24/2019 8:10am
Bruce372 wrote:
Btw. The yz125 comes with the same mikuni carb as the ktms
The YZ isn’t jetted for European emissions standards. You can make the carb work good with proper jetting. The KTM comes jetted terribly for emissions tests...
The YZ isn’t jetted for European emissions standards. You can make the carb work good with proper jetting. The KTM comes jetted terribly for emissions tests of “low smoke”. You can patch it up with the JD kit and it be the best it can be for a stock Mikuni.

To say a carb is fine because it works good on one bike is erroneous. The YZ 125 carb settings are okay. I had one. Pretty clean running. Not much power to speak of though.
Weve got a 2018 tc125 also. Stock bike, T2 fuel leaner on pilot and needle and a bigger main and it runs amazing. Crispest, cleanest running bike I've ever ridden.

My 150 Came with a lectron, but I swapped to the keihin

Earlier this year, pit bits showed all the factory ktm and husky 125s from Europe and they were all running mikuni
11/24/2019 6:13pm
Bruce372 wrote:
Weve got a 2018 tc125 also. Stock bike, T2 fuel leaner on pilot and needle and a bigger main and it runs amazing. Crispest, cleanest running...
Weve got a 2018 tc125 also. Stock bike, T2 fuel leaner on pilot and needle and a bigger main and it runs amazing. Crispest, cleanest running bike I've ever ridden.

Earlier this year, pit bits showed all the factory ktm and husky 125s from Europe and they were all running mikuni
Factory gonna run what they sell. The RBSR bikes has stock pipes on them.
11/24/2019 6:17pm
We are still using the Mikunis on our KTMs (as we did on the '04 KX 125 and '02 RM 134). I don't know what I'm talking about but it SEEMS to me that the 'kuni's run just fine from 1/3 throttle on up. Both KTM's and the KX run crappy down low. The RM ran pretty good, though. From 1/2 throttle up, I really have no complaints. And since we're talking about 125/150... I sort of like being made to ride it harder.

Having said all that, the '15 Husky TC 125 has a Keihin and one of the first things I noticed was how clean it ran down low. No _power_ down there, but it'll rev up really nice and clean. One of these days, I should swap the carb/throttle around to our KTM's and see what think. A friend is getting ready to get a Lectron for his TE150 and I can see a Mikuni vs Keihin vs Lectron shootout in my 150 XC-W's future.
gristle568
11/24/2019 6:26pm
I put a pc pipe and shorty silencer on my 19 150 and it Is a pipe that likes to be screamed. The stock pipe had better roll on power and was easier to keep in the power, but mid into the top the pc is faster. jetting was a little tricky but now it runs clean, I will say I had to lean it out quite a bit with the pc pipe.

The Shop

Bruce372
11/24/2019 6:26pm
Bruce372 wrote:
Weve got a 2018 tc125 also. Stock bike, T2 fuel leaner on pilot and needle and a bigger main and it runs amazing. Crispest, cleanest running...

Factory gonna run what they sell. The RBSR bikes has stock pipes on them.
LaughingLaughingLaughing
Bruce372
11/24/2019 6:36pm
gristle568 wrote:
I put a pc pipe and shorty silencer on my 19 150 and it Is a pipe that likes to be screamed. The stock pipe had...
I put a pc pipe and shorty silencer on my 19 150 and it Is a pipe that likes to be screamed. The stock pipe had better roll on power and was easier to keep in the power, but mid into the top the pc is faster. jetting was a little tricky but now it runs clean, I will say I had to lean it out quite a bit with the pc pipe.
On the 18, i supplied a couple of pipes and my friend dynoed them on a new sx150.

Fmf fatty worked best, the HGS buds pipe was worse than stock right up to the very peak. Although the hgs is better suited to the 125 where it works really good.

We didn't try the PC expansion chamber, but the PC shorty is the best since it has the biggest outlet and doesnt hold the 150 back like a lot of silencers can do.

The mikini carb dynos really good. With a very consistent AFR once the jetting is tweaked.

The keihin does work better though imo, maybe it's easier to jet, but our 125 tan great with the mikuni.

All that said, the kehin pwk with the STIC metering block blows everything away, including the lectron. And the dyno backs up what you feel on the track.
Bruce372
11/24/2019 6:38pm
FWIW, max vohland is running keihin on his factory ktm, I know a couple of top amateurs that just came off 85s and they are running keihin also

IanMac138
11/24/2019 9:15pm
I live in the PNW so I go the Mikuni to work great on some days and then it would run horrible on others depending on the temperature. Often times I'd jet it for a colder morning ride and then by the afternoon when the temp jumped 10 degrees it would suck and vice versa. I even tried the slide modification where you carve a larger channel into it but it still never worked when temperature variations changed. I was over having the bike running perfect half the day and then the other half feeling like it would kill me. Ordered the Lectern, told them where I ride, where I live and it came dialed in. Installed it and no joke, fired up on first kick and idled almost perfect...I just adjusted the air screw a quarter turn and I've never looked back. Cold days, warm days...doesn't matter. Bike starts up right away and no bog, no ping, no detonation, nothing. Just crisp. It also gave the bike a slightly more linear power curve and a noticeable difference in low end power which is everything on a 150. Like Jeff Crutcher said, put one on and thank yourself.
11/26/2019 10:22am
Just getting into motocross guys, got a 2019 sx 150, only doing practice days but I’m top end of the intermediates. Been looking for a bit of guidance on the suspension settings. All I’ve done is set my sag and kept everything at standard. I’m 5.11 and I weigh just over 12 stone without gear. just wondering if anyone’s got settings I can try or any tips

Post a reply to: 2019 KTM 150 SX Pro's Con's ?

The Latest