2019 KX450 vs 2019 YZ450F

Edited Date/Time 3/5/2019 7:05pm
Has anyone tested these back to back? I'm torn between these two and unable to try them.
I have been pricing them both and I can get the KX for $1000 less OTD. I'm coming off a 2017 KX250F Vet intermediate rider 5'9" 175lbs.

Thanks guys.
|
dmm698
3/5/2019 4:38am
Well, one turns well, and one probably still feels like a dump truck. My friend has his 18 yz450 parked in the garage for sale after having countless problems with it in the first 20 hours one of which resulted in a complete engine rebuild mostly funded by yamaha, and he now has a 19 kx450. My 19 kx450 box stock is a better bike than my 16 kx450 was that had showa a kit suspension.
Motofinne
3/5/2019 4:43am
I haven't had the opportunity to ride the 19 KX450 but i have 1 hour on my 19 YZF 450 and i'm really happy with it. I had 50 problem free hours on my 18 YZF 450.

I don't think that you can go wrong with either of them. But getting the KX for 1k cheaper than the YZF would be attractive for me. You can get a spare set of wheels for that or a full system.
Nystrom7
3/5/2019 4:45am
I have tried them. To be honest ive been on kawasakis a Long time.

But yzf is the bike i feel most uncomfortable on of all the bikes i tried. They are wide feeling and the space between footpeg/Seat does not suit me.. motor were good and it feels like they got alittle stiffer springs then they used to wich were positive but the ergos is way of for me atleast.
Compared to the newer bikes i have tried. Honda, KTM, Husqvarna and Kawasaki.
kb228
3/5/2019 5:10am
If youre coming off a kawi might as well go with the kx. Cant go wrong with either. The yamaha had some starter clutch issues in the past but i believe those were addressed in the 19.

The Shop

JohnnyD13
3/5/2019 7:53am
I haven’t ridding the Yamaha but the 19 kx is amazing. Ask David Pingree or Don from Transworld. They both say the kx is the best bike money can buy. The weight on the Yz would make the choice easy
Forty
3/5/2019 7:55am
Has anyone tested these back to back? I'm torn between these two and unable to try them. I have been pricing them both and I can...
Has anyone tested these back to back? I'm torn between these two and unable to try them.
I have been pricing them both and I can get the KX for $1000 less OTD. I'm coming off a 2017 KX250F Vet intermediate rider 5'9" 175lbs.

Thanks guys.
Tested them? You mean besides the shootout on this site?
Forty
3/5/2019 8:29am
Has anyone tested these back to back? I'm torn between these two and unable to try them. I have been pricing them both and I can...

Thanks guys.
Forty wrote:
Tested them? You mean besides the shootout on this site?
WTF? how does this get a thumbs down? For sarcasm?

Seriously, VitalMX, Lindsay and company put together a comprehensive, unbiased and multiple rider test of all the 2019 bikes including those in the thread title and OP comes on and asks us knuckleheads what we think.

Colectively this bunch of misfits wouldn't know a good dirt bike if it stood up and kicked our asses, much less how to set one up so it functions properly. I'm not rippin you guys, I'm rippin us guys.

Although there are a few that get my attention when they post for the most part we are clueless, so I thought the OP would be better served going to a source that has some credibility.

So Mr.Thumbs down guy I have your answer hangin.

Jbulz
Fantasy
4086th
3/5/2019 8:33am
I did a demo day on the 18 YZ450F. I thought it handled pretty good, but it still felt wide to me. The bike overall felt a lot better than the previous generation. The Kawi is much slimmer, tho and feels lighter. I ended up with a 19 KX450 and love the thing. Suspension is killer on both right out of the box.

On the other hand, Dmm698 and I have a mutual friend with an 18 YZ that was nothing but problems from the first ride, and ended up blowing up with less than 20 hours (there are a few others with similar problems in an old thread in the Tech Help forum). Idk if it was a small batch of bikes that had issues or something, but Yamaha handled it poorly for our buddy and really turned me off to them.

I have owned several Yamahas and liked them, but after seeing how they handled that 18 YZ450, I don't see myself owning another one.
foreman52
Fantasy
3183rd
3/5/2019 9:01am
dmm698 wrote:
Well, one turns well, and one probably still feels like a dump truck. My friend has his 18 yz450 parked in the garage for sale after...
Well, one turns well, and one probably still feels like a dump truck. My friend has his 18 yz450 parked in the garage for sale after having countless problems with it in the first 20 hours one of which resulted in a complete engine rebuild mostly funded by yamaha, and he now has a 19 kx450. My 19 kx450 box stock is a better bike than my 16 kx450 was that had showa a kit suspension.
I had similar issues with my 18. Transmission went all to shit at six hours. Very little compensation from Yamaha and my dealer and myself both had hefty bills. Put in a brand new motor and had countless issues with that...two starter clutches, timing chain jumped and was worn out, cyclinder was toast, and valves were out of spec all under 20 hours on the new motor. This was my 7th brand new Yamaha and it will be my last. It’s now sitting on the showroom floor as I traded it for my first Honda.

Riding 16 and 17 YZ250F’s I enjoyed the feel of these bikes much better. I’m a taller guy 6 foot and I know they designed the new bikes slimmer and for smaller riders. I found it very hard to turn and was constantly fighting with it in the corners. The motor itself (when it was together) was smooth and hit hard.

I’m a pro rider, but one of my vet jr riding buddies also picked one up and his motor went around 30 hours. Countless other problems like I experienced too. He’s now dumping his.

I’m sure they made some changes from 18 to 19 but that is not something I want to gamble on.

No comments on the Kawi. Never heard anyone have issues with previous ones and they look bad ass.
3/5/2019 9:06am
Thanks guy's I really appreciate your input. I'm leaning more towards the KX.
twizzler
3/5/2019 9:13am
KX for sure, $1k less on price, much lighter and thinner bike that you can really feel on the track.
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
3/5/2019 9:17am
I Know ML chose the KAWASAKI as his personal winner, and backed that up by buying one for himself.
mister2dt
3/5/2019 10:06am
Ask about a 19, and everyone responds about the 18. Which is completely different from the 19..... the 19 YZ is nothing like the 18. Slim feeling, because it is indeed slimmer, stable, usable power everywhere and tunable from your phone. So far, nothing mentioned in this thread applies to your question.
Motofinne
3/5/2019 10:08am
mister2dt wrote:
Ask about a 19, and everyone responds about the 18. Which is completely different from the 19..... the 19 YZ is nothing like the 18. Slim...
Ask about a 19, and everyone responds about the 18. Which is completely different from the 19..... the 19 YZ is nothing like the 18. Slim feeling, because it is indeed slimmer, stable, usable power everywhere and tunable from your phone. So far, nothing mentioned in this thread applies to your question.
You are talking about the 250.

The 2018 YZF 450 was all new. The 2019 got some small tweaks.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4086th
3/5/2019 10:21am Edited Date/Time 3/5/2019 10:23am
mister2dt wrote:
Ask about a 19, and everyone responds about the 18. Which is completely different from the 19..... the 19 YZ is nothing like the 18. Slim...

17 to 18 was the generation change for YZ450F
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
3/5/2019 10:27am
I've ridden them both.
The YZ has better low end power, and is more stable. The KX feels just a tad bit nervous at times, but has good front end grip (not KTM level grip on hard, flat corners). It feels a little bit lighter, but also feels physically taller. The wide feel up front of the older YZ's isn't an issue, though the KX does feel a touch more narrow. However, the YZ was easier to grip with my ankles (not as easy as the KTM's).

Both bikes are really, really good. I think that what stands out the most is the KX feels taller while the YZ has a stronger low end pull.

Suspension I can't compare as the YZ has the clickers set for a much faster rider that outweighs me by 30 pounds, and the KX has been resprung and valved for a similar speed (45+ Vet Novice) rider that also weighs 30 pounds more than my 155 pounds.

For $1000, I'd be on the green machine. Even pricing probably blue.
3/5/2019 10:28am
If you want plush over all else - yzf

If you want more a "precision" feel get the kxf.

The kxf - as different as it is - still has the chassis rigidity the older models had as far as feedback to the rider's hands.
I feel they have improved the balance to make the bike more capable of front end steering - and it's the lightest japenese bike by a mile - I keep reading how this isn't important - but physics don't lie. Lighter weight manifests itself every time you are trying to slow down, accelerate, turn etc.

If you have ever gone and ridden downhill mountain bike and come from mx - the first thing you think is, WOW - the bike is light I can save things that on a dirtbike would be total death... because you can muscle the bike back into shape.
While 10 lbs on a dirtbike isn't enough to allow you the same as a mtb - the fact is when it does get out of shape - you have more likely hood of saving it - even if that's only 5 percent better chance.

I think the kx is reliable enough - and the 1k difference is huge. That's a year's worth of tires!
kb228
3/5/2019 10:30am
If you want plush over all else - yzf If you want more a "precision" feel get the kxf. The kxf - as different as it...

The kxf - as different as it is - still has the chassis rigidity the older models had as far as feedback to the rider's hands.
I feel they have improved the balance to make the bike more capable of front end steering - and it's the lightest japenese bike by a mile - I keep reading how this isn't important - but physics don't lie. Lighter weight manifests itself every time you are trying to slow down, accelerate, turn etc.

If you have ever gone and ridden downhill mountain bike and come from mx - the first thing you think is, WOW - the bike is light I can save things that on a dirtbike would be total death... because you can muscle the bike back into shape.
While 10 lbs on a dirtbike isn't enough to allow you the same as a mtb - the fact is when it does get out of shape - you have more likely hood of saving it - even if that's only 5 percent better chance.

I think the kx is reliable enough - and the 1k difference is huge. That's a year's worth of tires!
$1000 a year in tires?!??! Holy hell man ive had the same ones for 2 years lol!
3/5/2019 10:31am
If you want plush over all else - yzf If you want more a "precision" feel get the kxf. The kxf - as different as it...

kb228 wrote:
$1000 a year in tires?!??! Holy hell man ive had the same ones for 2 years lol!
YOU MUS B A PRO
mister2dt
3/5/2019 10:35am
mister2dt wrote:
Motofinne wrote:

Those small tweaks completely change the bike. It literally made a world of difference in the two models. The 19 rides nothing like the 18
Jbulz
Fantasy
4086th
3/5/2019 12:07pm
mister2dt wrote:
Motofinne wrote:

mister2dt wrote:
Those small tweaks completely change the bike. It literally made a world of difference in the two models. The 19 rides nothing like the 18
I have not ridden a 19. But I think the main changes between 18 and 19 were only valving, fork lugs, wheel spacers, and seat foam.

The 19 is not any slimmer, the tuning app is not new, etc, like you were calling out in your post. It might be improved, but it's not like we're comparing it to a 2014-2017, dude.

Don't forget the new blue valve cover!

Motofinne
3/5/2019 2:33pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2019 2:34pm
mister2dt wrote:
Motofinne wrote:

mister2dt wrote:
Well, i have only 1 hour (on snow/ice) on my 19 and it is with studded (very heavy) tires on Talon wheels (not the updated 19 spacers) so i can't really comment on that yet. The only thing i can say is that the front end feels nicer and more planted.

But i feel like saying the 19 rides nothing like the 18 sounds a bit drastic? Yes, there are positive changes/tweaks but the base is the same.
mister2dt
3/5/2019 2:46pm
Motofinne wrote:

mister2dt wrote:
Jbulz wrote:
I have not ridden a 19. But I think the main changes between 18 and 19 were only valving, fork lugs, wheel spacers, and seat foam...
I have not ridden a 19. But I think the main changes between 18 and 19 were only valving, fork lugs, wheel spacers, and seat foam.

The 19 is not any slimmer, the tuning app is not new, etc, like you were calling out in your post. It might be improved, but it's not like we're comparing it to a 2014-2017, dude.

Don't forget the new blue valve cover!

Ride a 19. Small changes made a drastic difference. The comment on tuning was in comparison to the kx, not the 18 yz. The 19 kx rides very comfortably, one of my riding buddies bought one as soon as they hit the showrooms. Very nice bike, very nice. But comparing the 18 & 19 yz’s as almost identical is ignorant, they ride nothing alike.
MX558
3/5/2019 5:22pm
The 1k difference is what swing me to the kx and I've had 12 Yamahas . This is my 1st kx and I love it but I'm old and slow anyways
JohnnyD13
3/5/2019 5:31pm
Thanks guy's I really appreciate your input. I'm leaning more towards the KX.
Make sure you tell us when you get it and tell us what you think. Very exciting buying a new bike!
crc245
3/5/2019 7:00pm

Thanks guys.
Keep leaning towards the KX! It'll feel much more comfortable coming off your KX250F than the 19' YZF. At 5'9" and 175lbs, the stock suspension will be quite close and the ergos will be more familiar for you (you already know the Kawi's have a bit tall and long stance). The YZF was a wider feeling in the shrouds for me at 6'/190lbs and just isn't on the same level, handling wise. They're reliable and equipped with some of the best suspenders on the market, but still have a unique feel (to me at least)...

I rode all the 19's back to back over multiple test days here in SoCal for another outlet, and the 19' KX450 is the only bike I'd spend my money on; and at $1,000 less, it would be a no-brainer for me. Either way, enjoy the new scoot!
Moto520
3/5/2019 7:05pm
The kawi is awesome. One of my all time favorite bikes and ive had them all because im old at 44

Post a reply to: 2019 KX450 vs 2019 YZ450F

The Latest