2019 rmz450 worth it?

Gilby122
1/15/2020 7:19am
Looking into buying a leftover 19 suzuki 450 for a really good price such as 5700 and i was wondering if it was worth it or...
Looking into buying a leftover 19 suzuki 450 for a really good price such as 5700 and i was wondering if it was worth it or if i should spend another 1200 on a yamaha or honda. Was wondering if they are really as bad as the reveiws on youtube say they are? And was gonna used the money i saved to get aftermarket pipe and suspension done anyways.
SwingHard wrote:
I went into my local shop today looking for a UTV cover,not looking for a new bike, saw a 19' RMZ-450 with a very good price...
I went into my local shop today looking for a UTV cover,not looking for a new bike, saw a 19' RMZ-450 with a very good price tag on it. Long story short, I walked out with a 2020 RMZ-450 for waaayy less than I would've for one of the other Big4-450's. Even after suspension and exhaust if I decide ,I'm still way under the OTD price on any other 450! If you decide on the RMZ ask your dealer about RM Army, it's a simple process and it dropped the price very close to the 2019. I currently have a Honda, Kawai and a 08' RM-250 in the garage.
And one helluva understanding wife Laughing Nice bike!
SwingHard
1/15/2020 8:36am
Gilby122 wrote:
And one helluva understanding wife Laughing Nice bike!
Are you kidding Brotha?!!! She read me the RIOT act, all because I got sidetracked and forgot to pick up her UTV coverHuh , Women....
TeamGreen
1/15/2020 9:06am
I spent just over a year on the 2018.
I raced Mammoth, Day in the Dirt...all sorts of stuff...and even won a few races on it.

It was the 2018 Vital MX 450 Shootout bike. I got it a month or so AFTER the shootout...
It had been ridden hard and not maintained like it should have been during that month (trust me, this is normalGrinning ).
Anyways...I got it, serviced it, and rode it quite a bit while making A LOT of shock adjustments..some fork adjustments...tried the various maps/plugs...and then tore into it. The shock was "Wonky"...it would blow thru at the WEIRDEST times. It was great on some "outdoor" stuff and hated HUGE sudden big hits like SX style jumps/jump faces.

So, I sent the suspension off to Factory Connection: BOOM! Awesome forks and a much, much better shock that was waaaaaay more "Normal". After FC did their thing. The chassis was as good/better than most other bikes and still turned like a Zook (Zooks turn amazingly easily and stick to whatever line you put them in!).

I added a Yoshimura Signature pipe (white ECU plug) and ran VP's "VPR" fuel. It woke up the motor and made it Super Snappy!

Ergo's:
I ran a slightly lower Guts Superlight Seat.
Renthal bars and sprockets.
Pirelli Tires & Bibs.
Some Al. & Ti bolts here and there just because I like that stuff.
A Carbonfiber transponder bracket (I'm kind of a carbonfiber geek)
Rekluse's new-at-the-time "clutch pack" was tested on this bike...it was amazing!
Lucas, Motorex and VP oils were used.

That bike was the single "LEAST EXPENSIVE TO OWN & OPERATE 450 MXer" I've spent a year with...
Ever.

It was a fun bike to ride.
It was AMAZING on trails & "Off Road"...like in the Shasta National Forest.

I think it's the Best 450 for the average guy...for the money.
Period.

Fact: people will talk shit on Suzuki. So be it. That doesn't change the fact that they make an excellent, super dependable and inexpensive motorcycle.

The Shop

AH387
1/15/2020 9:43am
TeamGreen wrote:
Here’s a link from Bike Builds about the bike I spent a year on...
https://m.vitalmx.com/forums/Bike-Builds,46/The-Vital-MX-2018-RMZ450-Shootout-Bike,1333122
Nice write up. I appreciate the details etc.
I have no doubt that the bike can easily be made into a great machine for the everyday rider/racer. I guess my only thing is, to me is just not the smartest money for a variety of reasons. I don't know if you took a brand new 19 RMZ leftover, the changes you made etc if it is better than just buying a leftover 19 KX or YZF and leaving them stock? I have been talking with a friend who is currently bike shopping and we go back and forth on this stuff, which is why I have been active in this thread. It's a good bike, can be made into a great bike (probably) but I still am not sure than means it's a better choice than some of the other options? At the end of the day, it's up to the individual on how they would want to spend their own money.
MXVet261
Fantasy
4061st
1/15/2020 10:07am
When is Suzuki going to put electric start on it? That is my only complaint.
30 years of racing on my knees = do not like kickstart
Forty
1/15/2020 10:11am
MXVet261 wrote:
When is Suzuki going to put electric start on it? That is my only complaint. 30 years of racing on my knees = do not like...
When is Suzuki going to put electric start on it? That is my only complaint.
30 years of racing on my knees = do not like kickstart
Yeah man. I can still kick but it’d be nice not to. My RMZ pops right off cold but it is a fussy bitch when it’s hot and if you fuck up the process you’ll kick for awhile. Ugh.
kiwifan
1/15/2020 10:35am
kiwifan wrote:
Good deal, I would go for it....a lot of advice in this thread about what other bikes you should (or shouldnt) buy, but personally since you...
Good deal, I would go for it....a lot of advice in this thread about what other bikes you should (or shouldnt) buy, but personally since you asked the question about the 19 RMZ not any other bike then I would get the RMZ.
AH387 wrote:
To be fair, he straight up asked if he should spend more and just a Honda or Yamaha, which I would say yes. And just because...
To be fair, he straight up asked if he should spend more and just a Honda or Yamaha, which I would say yes.

And just because someone suggests another bike, doesn't mean they are implying Suzuki sucks. Again, if you are considering buying a bike for less, knowing you will put money into suspension and exhaust (to get it where you want it), then why not just get a bike that likely needs nothing? If you are considering a Yamaha, I'd get that and be done.
Yes I know that, see posts further up

And I did not state that the Suzuki sucked, not sure how the hell you got that from my response
AH387
1/15/2020 10:38am
kiwifan wrote:
Good deal, I would go for it....a lot of advice in this thread about what other bikes you should (or shouldnt) buy, but personally since you...
Good deal, I would go for it....a lot of advice in this thread about what other bikes you should (or shouldnt) buy, but personally since you asked the question about the 19 RMZ not any other bike then I would get the RMZ.
AH387 wrote:
To be fair, he straight up asked if he should spend more and just a Honda or Yamaha, which I would say yes. And just because...
To be fair, he straight up asked if he should spend more and just a Honda or Yamaha, which I would say yes.

And just because someone suggests another bike, doesn't mean they are implying Suzuki sucks. Again, if you are considering buying a bike for less, knowing you will put money into suspension and exhaust (to get it where you want it), then why not just get a bike that likely needs nothing? If you are considering a Yamaha, I'd get that and be done.
kiwifan wrote:
Yes I know that, see posts further up And I did not state that the Suzuki sucked, not sure how the hell you got that from...
Yes I know that, see posts further up

And I did not state that the Suzuki sucked, not sure how the hell you got that from my response
That was not meant for you, hence the space.
mxman
1/15/2020 11:08am
Suzuki still makes dirt bikes ??
MOTO1313
1/15/2020 12:04pm
Yes. Suzuki is still producing their 2014 model.
Tenacious P
1/15/2020 12:05pm Edited Date/Time 1/15/2020 12:07pm
Unless you’re gonna finance, buy a used 450. They don’t seem to keep their value, us mortals are unlikely to ruin the engine with normal use, and there are lots of em around for <$4k. I went with a used YZ last year and that suspension is a revelation.
jeffro503
1/15/2020 12:58pm
I personally think the Suzuki 450's are a sexy looking bike , and guys that I've talked to that own them , like them a lot. It's all in the eye of the beholder. If " you " like them...... doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
jeffro503
1/15/2020 1:00pm
Btw.....never owned a bike with an electric start. Never felt like I needed one.
mxman
1/15/2020 1:15pm
I can tell at 55 yrs old, that electric start is pure heaven.
TeamGreen
1/15/2020 1:20pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Btw.....never owned a bike with an electric start. Never felt like I needed one.
Everyone, this is Jeffro.

He don't need none of them there new fangled sissy-assed features like theme there city-slicker-woke-ass-sissy-boys!

If he wants to start his bike? He kicks it.
No battery.
No "Easy Button".
None of that crap!

Hell, his rider mower has a pull start and a manual bottle opener for his long-neck bottles...'cause, only a damn Hippie drinks his beer out of a can!

Oh, and, GET OFF MY LAWN!

Old School In D'Hizzy!
Bithces!
Evil
MOTO1313
1/15/2020 1:22pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Yeah...screw ES and long live kick starting. If it was good enough for the Model T, it's good enough for Suzuki. Progress sucks.
TeamGreen
1/15/2020 1:25pm
The button is awfully damn nice to have when you’re stalled on the track...during a race...and your a short guy...like me!
Mr. Afterbar
1/15/2020 1:27pm
jeffro503 wrote:
MOTO1313 wrote:
Yeah...screw ES and long live kick starting. If it was good enough for the Model T, it's good enough for Suzuki. Progress sucks.
Everybody knows a dirt bike is harder to start with your leg than an automobile with your hand. What a bunch of morans who think electric start isn't necessary on the 3.0L dirt bikes these days.
AH387
1/15/2020 1:28pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I personally think the Suzuki 450's are a sexy looking bike , and guys that I've talked to that own them , like them a lot...
I personally think the Suzuki 450's are a sexy looking bike , and guys that I've talked to that own them , like them a lot. It's all in the eye of the beholder. If " you " like them...... doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
To me, by far they are the best-looking bike. It's not even close. When they are done up, like the JGR bikes, that is as good as it get's, as far as looks. I was always a big Suzuki guy and owned many. I just couldn't realistically suggest someone spend money on one right now, if my opinion was considered. For as much as bikes cost, might as well get the bike you want up front. But if you love Suzukis still, then by all means. I know a few guys that have them and love them.
jeffro503
1/15/2020 2:36pm Edited Date/Time 1/15/2020 2:39pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Everyone, this is Jeffro. He don't need none of them there new fangled sissy-assed features like theme there city-slicker-woke-ass-sissy-boys! If he wants to start his bike...

He don't need none of them there new fangled sissy-assed features like theme there city-slicker-woke-ass-sissy-boys!

No battery.
No "Easy Button".
None of that crap!

Hell, his rider mower has a pull start and a manual bottle opener for his long-neck bottles...'cause, only a damn Hippie drinks his beer out of a can!

Old School In D'Hizzy!
Bithces!
Evil
Just for you Manny! My newer Husqvarna AWD mower ( Not quite a rider , but no need to really push ), with pull start.....and yes , I drink bottles! Smile

mb60
1/15/2020 3:17pm
TeamGreen wrote:
The button is awfully damn nice to have when you’re stalled on the track...during a race...and your a short guy...like me!
Short legs here as well. My 17 kx 450 is great but need to make the call on a new one with e start.
1/15/2020 3:26pm
yz133rider wrote:
Do you stick your pee pee into your hondas exhaust? Do you caress its curves? Brand loyalists kill me.
LaughingLaughingLaughing
TeamGreen
1/15/2020 4:24pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Everyone, this is Jeffro. He don't need none of them there new fangled sissy-assed features like theme there city-slicker-woke-ass-sissy-boys! If he wants to start his bike...

No battery.
No "Easy Button".
None of that crap!

Old School In D'Hizzy!
Bithces!
Evil
jeffro503 wrote:
Just for you Manny! My newer Husqvarna AWD mower ( Not quite a rider , but no need to really push ), with pull start.....and yes...
Just for you Manny! My newer Husqvarna AWD mower ( Not quite a rider , but no need to really push ), with pull start.....and yes , I drink bottles! Smile

Murica!
1/15/2020 8:06pm Edited Date/Time 1/15/2020 8:07pm
I’ve owned about every major brand. I look at it like this. If the bike won 6 shootouts but your not a fan in your heart of the brand or in general don’t gel with it, then you’ll never be happy. If you like Suzuki’s in general then you’ll be happy. You’ll also feel like your getting a hell of a deal on your bike.
I’ve never been brand loyal and I always like a few traits of every bike I own. Life is short and unless your paid to ride a bike by all means don’t mess that up. I’m sure that will only affect members like “Kiwifan”.🙄😂
It’s whatever makes you happy....
Ghost
jeffro503
1/15/2020 8:23pm
I’ve owned about every major brand. I look at it like this. If the bike won 6 shootouts but your not a fan in your heart...
I’ve owned about every major brand. I look at it like this. If the bike won 6 shootouts but your not a fan in your heart of the brand or in general don’t gel with it, then you’ll never be happy. If you like Suzuki’s in general then you’ll be happy. You’ll also feel like your getting a hell of a deal on your bike.
I’ve never been brand loyal and I always like a few traits of every bike I own. Life is short and unless your paid to ride a bike by all means don’t mess that up. I’m sure that will only affect members like “Kiwifan”.🙄😂
Ghost
I've never really been " Brand loyal " really , as I've kinda jumped around a lot. But I went through about 20 years of nothing but Kawi's. Suzuki's RMZ 450 , is the only jap made 450 I haven't owned , and I don't know why. I still have a certain day stuck in my head here. I had my 2012 Kawi 450 , which I freakin' loved ( but also a little intimidating , because it was fast as hell ).........I jumped on my buddies 2011 RMZ 450 , which was mostly stock , and was honestly blown away at how comfortable I felt right off the bat. I couldn't find one flaw with that bike ( even though mellow ) , it was an awesome ride AND........it freakin' cornered like it was on Velcro!
cody41
1/16/2020 3:37am Edited Date/Time 1/16/2020 3:38am
I’ve been looking at 450s myself and have been weighing the options. List prices for 2018 Suzuki’s around me are about 5500, but I’m assuming it needs a rmz250 shock and a full exhaust, which is an easy 1200. On the other hand, Kawasaki’s are going for 6000 and Honda’s are going for 6500. Based on these numbers, the Honda and kawasaki seem like better options.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
1/16/2020 5:25am
I’ve owned about every major brand. I look at it like this. If the bike won 6 shootouts but your not a fan in your heart...
Ghost
jeffro503 wrote:
I've never really been " Brand loyal " really , as I've kinda jumped around a lot. But I went through about 20 years of nothing...
I've never really been " Brand loyal " really , as I've kinda jumped around a lot. But I went through about 20 years of nothing but Kawi's. Suzuki's RMZ 450 , is the only jap made 450 I haven't owned , and I don't know why. I still have a certain day stuck in my head here. I had my 2012 Kawi 450 , which I freakin' loved ( but also a little intimidating , because it was fast as hell ).........I jumped on my buddies 2011 RMZ 450 , which was mostly stock , and was honestly blown away at how comfortable I felt right off the bat. I couldn't find one flaw with that bike ( even though mellow ) , it was an awesome ride AND........it freakin' cornered like it was on Velcro!
Its still that way with the bike the OP was asking about. Jumped on a 19 RMZ 450 and felt like I was riding the bike all year after 2 laps. Getting that bike sub 6 grand is a great deal.
MXVet261
Fantasy
4061st
1/16/2020 7:13am
My bike starts easily when I can get my foot on the kicker, and yes I'm using the stock coupler.

My problems are:

OLD
SHORT
KNEE SURGERIES

When I'm at the track, I have to strategically look for spots in staging areas that I can stop and have my left foot on something so I can get my right leg up on the kicker.

I just can't do it anymore, if Suzuki doesn't put the button on for 2021 then I'm switching to another brand purely because of the button.
TeamGreen
1/16/2020 8:26am
Ghost
jeffro503 wrote:
I've never really been " Brand loyal " really , as I've kinda jumped around a lot. But I went through about 20 years of nothing...
Markee wrote:
Its still that way with the bike the OP was asking about. Jumped on a 19 RMZ 450 and felt like I was riding the bike...
Its still that way with the bike the OP was asking about. Jumped on a 19 RMZ 450 and felt like I was riding the bike all year after 2 laps. Getting that bike sub 6 grand is a great deal.
I commented on this in the '18 & '19 shootouts...the Zook is simply easiest to "get around the track" on and you seem to spend less time correcting your lines in the turns.

Post a reply to: 2019 rmz450 worth it?

The Latest