250 vs 450 style/technique

TSCHAM101
Current trend

250 guys, bounce every bike off the rev limiter

450 guys like Ken Roczen(best style) and many other greats in our sport keep the bike low in the RPMs...

Why is it that, none of the current 250 guys can keep the bike off the rev limiter?? or why do the greats keep the bike below 9,000rpm??

Is the difference simply because the 450 has too much power and the 250 doesnt have enough??
|
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
8/19/2019 2:33pm
TSCHAM101 wrote:
Current trend 250 guys, bounce every bike off the rev limiter 450 guys like Ken Roczen(best style) and many other greats in our sport keep the...
Current trend

450 guys like Ken Roczen(best style) and many other greats in our sport keep the bike low in the RPMs...

Why is it that, none of the current 250 guys can keep the bike off the rev limiter?? or why do the greats keep the bike below 9,000rpm??

Is the difference simply because the 450 has too much power and the 250 doesnt have enough??
yes
yz133rider
8/19/2019 2:46pm
Isnt it obvious? 250s need the revs to go forward. The 450s make more tq at 6k than a 250 makes at 16k...
AE448
8/19/2019 2:51pm
TSCHAM101 wrote:
Current trend 250 guys, bounce every bike off the rev limiter 450 guys like Ken Roczen(best style) and many other greats in our sport keep the...
Current trend

Yes, answered your own question. They dont need to bounce them off the limiter unless they're revving out in top though in my opinion...but they're getting a new engine every race meeting so they dont care.

The Shop

TSCHAM101
8/19/2019 2:59pm
TSCHAM101 wrote:
Current trend

AE448 wrote:
Yes, answered your own question. They dont need to bounce them off the limiter unless they're revving out in top though in my opinion...but they're getting...
Yes, answered your own question. They dont need to bounce them off the limiter unless they're revving out in top though in my opinion...but they're getting a new engine every race meeting so they dont care.
okay.. Original Post was not a good explanation/question.

Simply, why doesnt any 250 rider short shift their bikes? Dont pretty much all of the bikes make more torque below 9000rpm? Plus, the short shifting would make it an easier transition to a 450??

Am i losing my mind? I might be, my wife is 41 weeks pregnant and i have a 2 year old..
yz133rider
8/19/2019 3:01pm
TSCHAM101 wrote:
Current trend

AE448 wrote:
Yes, answered your own question. They dont need to bounce them off the limiter unless they're revving out in top though in my opinion...but they're getting...
TSCHAM101 wrote:
okay.. Original Post was not a good explanation/question. Simply, why doesnt any 250 rider short shift their bikes? Dont pretty much all of the bikes make...
okay.. Original Post was not a good explanation/question.

Simply, why doesnt any 250 rider short shift their bikes? Dont pretty much all of the bikes make more torque below 9000rpm? Plus, the short shifting would make it an easier transition to a 450??

Am i losing my mind? I might be, my wife is 41 weeks pregnant and i have a 2 year old..
The 250s wont pull it. The 250fs need the revs.
TSCHAM101
8/19/2019 3:10pm
Ride a 250F and then go ride a 450. You’ll quickly see why you need to rev the 250
i currently ride a 250f... but with all the new bikes being developed up top... wouldnt a stronger/torque curve allow the bike to be ridden lower in the RPM's... The Star Yamaha bikes dont seem to be bouncing off rev limiters, they are more 450 like.. and they have the bike to be on in my opinion..

the Hondas are known to be top end machines, but all the factory geico riders are saying their bikes are too slow(via pulpmx and all Steve's nonsense).. Are the OEM's going the wrong direction? seems like we are going more towards a 250 2 stroke type of power...
kb228
8/19/2019 4:23pm
Ride a 250F and then go ride a 450. You’ll quickly see why you need to rev the 250
TSCHAM101 wrote:
i currently ride a 250f... but with all the new bikes being developed up top... wouldnt a stronger/torque curve allow the bike to be ridden lower...
i currently ride a 250f... but with all the new bikes being developed up top... wouldnt a stronger/torque curve allow the bike to be ridden lower in the RPM's... The Star Yamaha bikes dont seem to be bouncing off rev limiters, they are more 450 like.. and they have the bike to be on in my opinion..

the Hondas are known to be top end machines, but all the factory geico riders are saying their bikes are too slow(via pulpmx and all Steve's nonsense).. Are the OEM's going the wrong direction? seems like we are going more towards a 250 2 stroke type of power...
The 250 has to rev higher to make the torque. Its physics. Youll never get enough downward force on a 250 piston to match the downward force on a 450 piston.

10PSI on a 3” piston produces less power than 10PSI on a 6” piston.

TSCHAM101
8/19/2019 4:45pm
TSCHAM101 wrote:
i currently ride a 250f... but with all the new bikes being developed up top... wouldnt a stronger/torque curve allow the bike to be ridden lower...

kb228 wrote:
The 250 has to rev higher to make the torque. Its physics. Youll never get enough downward force on a 250 piston to match the downward...
The 250 has to rev higher to make the torque. Its physics. Youll never get enough downward force on a 250 piston to match the downward force on a 450 piston.

im not a physicist or an engineer.. but then how do the yz250f motors produce so much more torque? this is purely just because im interested.. i dont know much about this topic and wanna learn.
Fresh
Fantasy
3304th
8/19/2019 5:15pm
TSCHAM101 wrote:

kb228 wrote:
The 250 has to rev higher to make the torque. Its physics. Youll never get enough downward force on a 250 piston to match the downward...

TSCHAM101 wrote:
im not a physicist or an engineer.. but then how do the yz250f motors produce so much more torque? this is purely just because im interested...
im not a physicist or an engineer.. but then how do the yz250f motors produce so much more torque? this is purely just because im interested.. i dont know much about this topic and wanna learn.
Could have something to do with the reverse cylinder and downdraft intake that all the other oems are trying to replicate with a traditional motor layout.

You also gotta remember the 450 has a lot more inertia from the rotating mass, if you rotate it faster it makes the bike behave differently. So not only are 450s designed to work well in the lower rpms, even if they were set up to do the opposite, the bikes would become a lot more dangerous.
kb228
8/19/2019 7:39pm
TSCHAM101 wrote:

kb228 wrote:

TSCHAM101 wrote:
im not a physicist or an engineer.. but then how do the yz250f motors produce so much more torque? this is purely just because im interested...
The smoother the track is for airflow the more power you make(basically). If your intake has a lot of turbulence it hurts power. Thats why boyesen created the RAD valve on 2 strokes. Its smoother. Its also why 2 strokes get the transfer ports smoothed out and why the heads on 4 strokes get ported. A smooth transition from intake to exhaust is best.

Yamaha has that backwards engine design. It essentially has a ram air intake like a supersport. Its a more natural flow of gasses. Bike is going forward, air goes in the front and exhaust out the back. Whereas the traditional design is air in the back and exhaust out the back..
MPJC
Fantasy
704th
8/19/2019 9:58pm
TSCHAM101 wrote:

kb228 wrote:

TSCHAM101 wrote:
More torque than what? A KTM? I don’t know that they do. You want more power from a KTM just turn the throttle more. It’s mapping and throttle response (KTM is smooth and linear rather than jumpy when you turn the throttle a bit) more so than actual torque. I’ve not seen any dyno showing the YZ with extraordinary torque numbers.

Post a reply to: 250 vs 450 style/technique

The Latest