6D Helmets Should Be Mandatory

Tflyvt
Edited Date/Time 7/21/2017 1:10pm
This is my first post so take it with a grain of salt, but I seriously believe 6D helmets (or at least their design) should be required in professional racing. After recently smacking off a tree racing a Jday, literally bending my handguard to the point where it is up against the clutch mount (cycra probends), breaking my collarbone, and (not doctor checked) almost tearing my LCL and MCL, my head is completely fine. Sure I got a loud crack and my ears were ringing, but I forked over the $500 for a 6D helmet 3 years ago after getting a massive concussion on a DH bike, and can assure you my brain is fine after bouncing off the tree. Having seen James stewarts final crash over and over again, and really missing seeing him at the races, I strongly believe that had he been wearing a 6D helmet, he would still be racing. Just look at how hard some of the 6D riders have smacked their heads off the ground and raced next moto (zach bell for example) I just don't see why we're still allowing full foam helmets to "protect" the pros when basically a concussion proof helmet exists.
|
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
7/18/2017 7:59pm Edited Date/Time 7/18/2017 8:05pm

Concussion proof helmet?

This should be interesting.
Idaho747
7/18/2017 8:04pm
Might as well make a 5 mile per hour speed limit mandatory also.

The Shop

7/18/2017 8:06pm
Two things:

Mandating a specific brand of safety equipment likely exposes the AMA to significant liability.

Second, I'm not sure Zach Bell is the model example for helmet safety.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
7/18/2017 8:35pm
6D helmets are good helmets, so are Shoei, etc. I may get one as my next helmet and one for my son. I'm intrigued as to why 6D isn't making football helmets with all the stuff going on with concussions in that sport. Seems like a bigger market.
Mx746
7/18/2017 8:36pm
You'll need to collect a sample from all the dirt helmet manufacturers and send them to an independent testing facility. Then submit findings with proposals to the AMA.
APLMAN99
7/18/2017 8:38pm
Tflyvt wrote:
This is my first post so take it with a grain of salt, but I seriously believe 6D helmets (or at least their design) should be...
This is my first post so take it with a grain of salt, but I seriously believe 6D helmets (or at least their design) should be required in professional racing. After recently smacking off a tree racing a Jday, literally bending my handguard to the point where it is up against the clutch mount (cycra probends), breaking my collarbone, and (not doctor checked) almost tearing my LCL and MCL, my head is completely fine. Sure I got a loud crack and my ears were ringing, but I forked over the $500 for a 6D helmet 3 years ago after getting a massive concussion on a DH bike, and can assure you my brain is fine after bouncing off the tree. Having seen James stewarts final crash over and over again, and really missing seeing him at the races, I strongly believe that had he been wearing a 6D helmet, he would still be racing. Just look at how hard some of the 6D riders have smacked their heads off the ground and raced next moto (zach bell for example) I just don't see why we're still allowing full foam helmets to "protect" the pros when basically a concussion proof helmet exists.

mx510
Fantasy
1744th
7/18/2017 8:39pm
TbonesPop wrote:
6D helmets are good helmets, so are Shoei, etc. I may get one as my next helmet and one for my son. I'm intrigued as to...
6D helmets are good helmets, so are Shoei, etc. I may get one as my next helmet and one for my son. I'm intrigued as to why 6D isn't making football helmets with all the stuff going on with concussions in that sport. Seems like a bigger market.
Glad you brought that up, 6D recently won a large grant from the NFL to continue developing a helmet with their tech inside of it. I would like to try on one of their helmets, haven't seen one in a dealership near me yet to see how they fit.
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
7/18/2017 8:45pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/07/18/205396/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

Hey now he can certify himself for almost tearing that LCL and MCL!
Tflyvt
7/18/2017 8:53pm Edited Date/Time 7/18/2017 9:12pm
Tflyvt wrote:
This is my first post so take it with a grain of salt, but I seriously believe 6D helmets (or at least their design) should be...
APLMAN99 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/07/18/205396/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

Glad I'm getting off easy on my first post, or should I say first roast. Sheesh Sad

I must say the fit is not the most comfortable, and they're heavy as hell and much bigger than any other helmet. But I still stand by their tech after eating shit on a downhill bike in my old mx helmet (suomy) and getting ko'd, horrible concussion, and a laceration in my eyebrow that needed 11 stitches in 3 layers. I will never buy anything other than a 6D (until other companies adopt their system), and I am terrified while skiing in my smith helmet despite it having "mips", it still feels like just a shell around my head rather than an actual "helmet" that prevents concussions.
MW19
7/18/2017 9:02pm
OP, people are ass holes here. Ignore them and do your thing.

That said, I don't think 6d's are concussion proof. But they are going in the right direction.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
7/18/2017 9:11pm
STFU NOOB!!!

Now that that's out of the way.... Welcome! Glad to hear you weren't worse off after your crash. I can't really speak for the 6D's other than it being the most uncomfortable helmet I've ever tried on before, but I do hear a lot of good about them.

I'm interested to see how this thread goes though.
Brent
7/18/2017 9:18pm
...without a doubt the 6D is one of the best helmets out there, but remember, a concussion occurs when your brain bangs against the inside of your skull. No helmet I know of can prevent that from occurring...
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
7/18/2017 9:22pm Edited Date/Time 7/18/2017 9:27pm
Tflyvt wrote:
Because you hit your helmet on a tree once then that makes you a Expert on helmets ?? Well then I must be a Goddamn genius .Cool But now you have to replace your $500 6D helmet because it did its job.
Racer142
7/18/2017 9:23pm
It's mind boggling everytime someone suggests mandating protective equipment for the masses because of their personal experiences. It's like people forget there are hundreds of thousands of people that have had experiences that completely contridict their experience but that's irrelevant because he crashed his bike that one time and didn't get a concussion. Is 6D pushing the development of new helmet technology? Yes. Are they the perfect solution/best helmet ever made? Not even close.
Tflyvt
7/18/2017 9:36pm Edited Date/Time 7/18/2017 9:38pm
Racer142 wrote:
It's mind boggling everytime someone suggests mandating protective equipment for the masses because of their personal experiences. It's like people forget there are hundreds of thousands...
It's mind boggling everytime someone suggests mandating protective equipment for the masses because of their personal experiences. It's like people forget there are hundreds of thousands of people that have had experiences that completely contridict their experience but that's irrelevant because he crashed his bike that one time and didn't get a concussion. Is 6D pushing the development of new helmet technology? Yes. Are they the perfect solution/best helmet ever made? Not even close.
For your last comment "Are they the perfect solution/best helmet ever made?" I would argue that yes, as far as protecting your brain goes they are the best helmet ever made. As far as perfect solution goes, no not even close is right, but they're years ahead of any of the other "layered performance foam" helmets out there as far as I'm concerned. To everyone who's just shitting on me, I just dont see how different impact ratings of foam, layered on top of eachother can do what a 6D does. It has the layers of different foam, combined with their tech, that's the reason why the shell is so damn huge.
I was just starting a discussing on here as my first topic, I'd say it worked pretty well. But I cringe everytime I see JS7 smack his head in a corner after dungey took him out, because (I know... personal experience doesn't count for anything) I've done the exact same thing at higher speeds and worse angles of impact and come out with 0 head injuries. Maybe its just luck, or maybe my circumstances were just right that my head didn't slam too hard. But I seriously feel like If I had any "layered foam" helmet I would've been concussed.
Swann
7/18/2017 9:36pm Edited Date/Time 7/18/2017 9:36pm
They've been making concussion proof helmets since like forever. As if that's anything new.

731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
7/18/2017 9:52pm
Tflyvt wrote:
For your last comment "Are they the perfect solution/best helmet ever made?" I would argue that yes, as far as protecting your brain goes they are...
For your last comment "Are they the perfect solution/best helmet ever made?" I would argue that yes, as far as protecting your brain goes they are the best helmet ever made. As far as perfect solution goes, no not even close is right, but they're years ahead of any of the other "layered performance foam" helmets out there as far as I'm concerned. To everyone who's just shitting on me, I just dont see how different impact ratings of foam, layered on top of eachother can do what a 6D does. It has the layers of different foam, combined with their tech, that's the reason why the shell is so damn huge.
I was just starting a discussing on here as my first topic, I'd say it worked pretty well. But I cringe everytime I see JS7 smack his head in a corner after dungey took him out, because (I know... personal experience doesn't count for anything) I've done the exact same thing at higher speeds and worse angles of impact and come out with 0 head injuries. Maybe its just luck, or maybe my circumstances were just right that my head didn't slam too hard. But I seriously feel like If I had any "layered foam" helmet I would've been concussed.
Are you just going to ignore the brain injuries pros have incurred while wearing a 6D?
7/18/2017 9:56pm
Tflyvt wrote:
After reading this, I can assure you that your head is NOT fine.

And since you have an obvious concussion, I'll let it slide this time.
7/18/2017 10:27pm
Only issue I had with a 6d is the cheek area. Its very tight and scrapes my face when i put ut on.
KB221
7/18/2017 11:35pm
Tflyvt wrote:
For your last comment "Are they the perfect solution/best helmet ever made?" I would argue that yes, as far as protecting your brain goes they are...
Might want to do a little more research before saying all other helmet companies are just layering foam on top of foam as that is not true.

My son had a slow speed crash in a 180 corner at Perris and was severely concussed in a brand new 6D (slow speed rotational crashes are what they are designed to protect from) in this case the outcome was not good. I'm glad you had a better experience, this has been discussed at length on this site with input from the founders if you would like to do a search.

I personally think 6D is still learning a lot and has an excellent management team that is taking helmet technology to the next level after a long stagnant period of no new innovations and I for one appreciate that. We are still both wearing 6D's and will continue to in the foreseeable future.
skypig
7/18/2017 11:51pm
Rather than mandatory, I think wearing a helmet at all, should be optional.
KB221
7/18/2017 11:55pm
skypig wrote:
Rather than mandatory, I think wearing a helmet at all, should be optional.
No helmet 2t 4t whatever open class?
Turbojez
7/19/2017 12:10am
No they shouldn't. Glad you like them and you didn't hurt yourself. Don't say that 6D saved your head or that you would have suffered concussion in every other helmet. You don't know that, It's pure speculation and has nothing to do with facts.
It's like a neck brace vs. no neck brace debate. You feel it helps, cool, wear it. Don't expect everyone else to like and use it. Wink
skypig
7/19/2017 12:29am Edited Date/Time 7/19/2017 12:31am
KB221 wrote:
No helmet 2t 4t whatever open class?
I'd get rid of 2T/4T restrictions, just run capacity classes.
In vets I'd like age group classes - bike open. (How I wish I wasn't over 50!)

Safety gear on a bike should be personal preference. No one else is involved.
Personally, I wear expensive helmets, a neck brace, CTi knee braces, and sometimes Leatt elbow guards.

On the street I often wear my race leathers.
(You can just see the chin bar on my full face MX helmet on my vintage Z50 avatar pic!)
Other adults should wear what they want.

In Nanna's Australia, the fine for no pushbike helmet is around what you could receive for assaulting a policeman. Just slightly less than someone recently received for killing a cyclist. Madness.
In Australia everything is either illegal or compulsory. I'm completely "over it"!
7/19/2017 2:31am
Tflyvt wrote:
Hey OP, if indeed the 6D technology was proven superior through extensive independent testing conducted by a sanctioning body that was out to set higher standards for equipment riders must use, then i suppose it wouldn't be so bad to see a new requirement imposed regarding a certain type of helmet construction. Some might find it refreshing if new standards continued to roll out regarding various safety equipment, if indeed there was ongoing testing with data showing some type of superior protection. Someone mentioned the liability aspect of requirements of this type being imposed, and there may very well be an issue there, but I am also just barely still cognizant enough after banging my head for a lifetime to remember that the "non profit/ for profit" sanctioning bodies we all deal with in this sport do not put dollars in the direction of such independent studies regarding any type of protective gear that I know of. There are of course the Snell and DOT standards that have been around forever and may be a requirement in some or all forms of 2 wheel racing, but now that you bring up said topic I am actually curious what the current requirements are from the different sanctioning bodies today. In any event, these types of discussions do indeed have value if for no other reason than the awareness of where the sport is currently on said standards. I believe we could go put on a 20 year old helmet and line up on the gate at some of these big "nationals" that are held and probably be seen as using acceptable protective gear. (I know my 15 yr old Arai doesnt get any scrutiny. ).. Maybe thats just how this sport 'evolves'. We should shut up now so that the dicks and balls can get back to their struggle for position and you and I can go back to knowing as little as possible about the ongoing efforts to increase the standards of required safety equipment in a sport that has perhaps the worst reputation ever among general consumers for being extremely dangerous and hazardous to ones health. Hell, you would think there might be a driving force behind improved safety standards that came from organizations supported by the manufacturers of the machines in an effort to create an "improved safety" culture that might drive popularity of the usage of these machines. Anyhow like I said we should shut up now because you hit your head on a tree and spoke up about your experience of using a certain product and suggesting that the product is good enough to be required. I cant believe youd come on here with that kind of shit. I mean hell js7 isnt even done yet bro!! And "Linkeegle and Hedges" are dueling for fucktard of the year right now!!!!
Acidreamer
7/19/2017 2:37am
A snell rated helmet is good enough. I have more of a problem woth people buying a $50 helmet amd going riding.

Post a reply to: 6D Helmets Should Be Mandatory

The Latest