6x12 Trailer setups

TFuchs978
Edited Date/Time 10/10/2017 8:43pm
I'm going to be buying a 6x12 trailer here in the next couple weeks. How does everyone have there trailer set up?
|
752dad
2/17/2015 10:20am
Sorry for the not so stellar pic.
EZ up holder on left rear
Chair holder on right rear
Oil - chemical cabinet and fold down shelf on wall forward left
Craftsman box and Home Depot cabinet front right
2 bay gas can rack under oil cabinet
All from my buddies at Pit Pals

The Shop

TFuchs978
2/26/2015 9:09am
752dad wrote:
Sorry for the not so stellar pic. EZ up holder on left rear Chair holder on right rear Oil - chemical cabinet and fold down shelf...
Sorry for the not so stellar pic.
EZ up holder on left rear
Chair holder on right rear
Oil - chemical cabinet and fold down shelf on wall forward left
Craftsman box and Home Depot cabinet front right
2 bay gas can rack under oil cabinet
All from my buddies at Pit Pals

Thanks for the picture, it looks simple and functional! Looks like there is enough room to move around, even when loaded up.
captmoto
2/26/2015 10:35am
Stagger the bikes by a foot or so, so you can get between the bars. I use a drop in folding chock. Mine is from Blingstar but you get the idea. Don't put your tie down anchor points any further forward than your axle. This will keep the back wheel from sliding around. With a more forward anchor point, think stoppie.
http://www.amazon.com/Pit-Posse-Recessed-Motorcycle-Trailer/dp/B005SUXT…

Anchors
http://www.carid.com/curt/plate-steel-recessed-floor-wall-tie-down-zinc…
If the trailer floor is new use porch paint from Lowes or Home Depot. It is tougher than regular paint and has held up really well in my trailer. They also sell a jar of sand to mix in the paint for your ramp. Washed plaster sand would work too. Mix as rough or smooth as you want. That works real well too.

If I had to do over again I would get a 7 x 14 trailer.
TFuchs978
2/26/2015 10:45am
captmoto wrote:
Stagger the bikes by a foot or so, so you can get between the bars. I use a drop in folding chock. Mine is from Blingstar...
Stagger the bikes by a foot or so, so you can get between the bars. I use a drop in folding chock. Mine is from Blingstar but you get the idea. Don't put your tie down anchor points any further forward than your axle. This will keep the back wheel from sliding around. With a more forward anchor point, think stoppie.
http://www.amazon.com/Pit-Posse-Recessed-Motorcycle-Trailer/dp/B005SUXT…

Anchors
http://www.carid.com/curt/plate-steel-recessed-floor-wall-tie-down-zinc…
If the trailer floor is new use porch paint from Lowes or Home Depot. It is tougher than regular paint and has held up really well in my trailer. They also sell a jar of sand to mix in the paint for your ramp. Washed plaster sand would work too. Mix as rough or smooth as you want. That works real well too.

If I had to do over again I would get a 7 x 14 trailer.

Picked up the new trailer yesterday, the inside will be catching a fresh coat of paint prior to doing anything else. Being that its 14 degrees in NY right now, that's all going to have to wait until I can pull it in the shop.

TFuchs978
2/27/2015 3:37am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/02/26/81726/s1200_IMG_0503.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/02/26/81727/s1200_IMG_0504.jpg[/img] I used a primer on the walls followed by a couple coats of paint. For the floor, I used a couple of coats of...

I used a primer on the walls followed by a couple coats of paint.
For the floor, I used a couple of coats of a penetrating stain
Has anyone used an epoxy garage floor style paint on the floor? I want something easy to sweep out, and easy to keep clean.
BMR179
Fantasy
1239th
2/27/2015 5:20am
TFuchs978 wrote:
Has anyone used an epoxy garage floor style paint on the floor? I want something easy to sweep out, and easy to keep clean.
Garage floor epoxy works great! I put two coats on the plywood floor of my trailer. Chemical resistant and cleans out super easily. Make sure that you use the traction grit that comes with the package (I bought another package and added it in) because the floor gets slippery when wet.
KGAspeed
2/27/2015 6:30am
BMR179 wrote:
Garage floor epoxy works great! I put two coats on the plywood floor of my trailer. Chemical resistant and cleans out super easily. Make sure that...
Garage floor epoxy works great! I put two coats on the plywood floor of my trailer. Chemical resistant and cleans out super easily. Make sure that you use the traction grit that comes with the package (I bought another package and added it in) because the floor gets slippery when wet.
I personally would only use the traction grit on the ramp door. The texture of the grit makes it REALLY hard to sweep clean. Ramp door with some sort of traction is a must, but I don't feel I've ever needed it on the main floor.

Epoxy might be overkill, but I agree, it would work well. I used Glidden Porch & Floor paint for mine - its oil-based and has help up really well. That said, when it comes time to repaint my floor, I'll probably grab some epoxy base, then top-coat it with a urethane.
KGAspeed
2/27/2015 6:36am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2015 6:37am
Here is my Haulmark 6x10 single-axle.

I bought it with generic luan paneling - gutted the whole thing back down bare studs and came up with this. I just wanted something clean and functional. It could still use a seat bench for changing, but other than that, it works pretty well.

The small bench up front is really handy - I use it constantly.

TFuchs978
2/27/2015 6:44am
KGAspeed wrote:
Here is my Haulmark 6x10 single-axle. I bought it with generic luan paneling - gutted the whole thing back down bare studs and came up with...

I bought it with generic luan paneling - gutted the whole thing back down bare studs and came up with this. I just wanted something clean and functional. It could still use a seat bench for changing, but other than that, it works pretty well.

Nice trailer! Having the ceiling in makes it look really clean.
KGAspeed
2/27/2015 7:05am
KGAspeed wrote:
Here is my Haulmark 6x10 single-axle. I bought it with generic luan paneling - gutted the whole thing back down bare studs and came up with...

TFuchs978 wrote:
Thank you. It was a TON of work; way more than I expected. I did 3/8" plywood to make a sturdy wall, then covered it in a thin finishing wood (1/8") so I had a smooth surface to paint. Then yeah the ceiling, bench, LED lighting, auxiliary battery (the small box under the bench), paint, etc. Lots of hours in that thing.

It went from a trailer that I could move around manually myself, to a pretty heavy, sturdy unit. I still want to do LED lighting on the outside, the seated drop-down bench and a couple other things, but I have a tough enough time finding the time to ride let alone spend more time on that.
TFuchs978
2/27/2015 7:15am
KGAspeed wrote:

TFuchs978 wrote:
KGAspeed wrote:
Thank you. It was a TON of work; way more than I expected. I did 3/8" plywood to make a sturdy wall, then covered it in...
Thank you. It was a TON of work; way more than I expected. I did 3/8" plywood to make a sturdy wall, then covered it in a thin finishing wood (1/8") so I had a smooth surface to paint. Then yeah the ceiling, bench, LED lighting, auxiliary battery (the small box under the bench), paint, etc. Lots of hours in that thing.

It went from a trailer that I could move around manually myself, to a pretty heavy, sturdy unit. I still want to do LED lighting on the outside, the seated drop-down bench and a couple other things, but I have a tough enough time finding the time to ride let alone spend more time on that.
The Pace I bought came with Advantech 3/8 walls and 3/4 floors, I was pretty happy about that. I plan on the auxiliary battery, extra LED lighting, and paint. The plan is to be simple, yet effective. Either way, its better than the back of my truck!
KGAspeed
2/27/2015 8:01am
I forgot that those photos don't show more of the tracking I put in. Pretty common stuff called E-Track; I put two 8' pieces on the cabinet-side wall. I'll take a photo of that and post it.

eBay is actually a good source for led lighting and other odd and ends.

You'll love having the trailer. I built mine for traveling to races. First race we did in Montana, it snowed AND rained; 'was very glad to have it.
2/27/2015 8:20am

Here is a 5X8 I had a few years ago, I now have a 6X12 that is still work in progress.

Canadad
2/27/2015 8:32am
Not a great picture but here is mine loaded for my trip to Alabama at Christmas. It has just about everything I need including a stereo with 4 built in speakers and subwoofer! Custom built to fit in a standard garage, all aluminum

TFuchs978
2/27/2015 5:49pm
Canadad wrote:
Not a great picture but here is mine loaded for my trip to Alabama at Christmas. It has just about everything I need including a stereo...
Not a great picture but here is mine loaded for my trip to Alabama at Christmas. It has just about everything I need including a stereo with 4 built in speakers and subwoofer! Custom built to fit in a standard garage, all aluminum

How do the foot peg tie downs work?
Crossup
2/27/2015 5:54pm
526 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/02/27/81807/s1200_Trailer1.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/02/27/81808/s1200_Trailer6.jpg[/img] Here is a 5X8 I had a few years ago, I now have a 6X12 that is still work in progress.

Here is a 5X8 I had a few years ago, I now have a 6X12 that is still work in progress.

I had to do a double take. I thought it must be a bitch to load your bike based on that second picture!
PADDY'S LAD
2/27/2015 8:38pm

Bought my trailer in 1999 it's a little bigger than 6x12
Works great on weekends& race days
Cheers, pat

captmoto
2/27/2015 9:15pm
A little bigger Pat. Looks like a 8w trailer.
TFuchs978
2/28/2015 2:03am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/02/27/81916/s1200_IMG_0501.jpg[/img] 5 x 10 works good for 2 full size bikes. You guys have done a really good job.

5 x 10 works good for 2 full size bikes.
You guys have done a really good job.
I almost bought a 6x12 identical to your trailer, I opted for a trailer with 6 extra inches of headroom. More than likely my trailer will only see 1 bike, but I plan to set it up for 3 total. I planned on 2 forward and 1 backwards, but it looks like 3 fit forward half way decent.
endo
10/11/2017 5:07am

Older pic and needs maid service...... Fold down bunk on one side that can be used with one bike left in during traveling, lots of shelving/storage, electrical hook-up, pit bike under the workbench up front! I also have a third chock for a bike in the middle backwards. You definitely want to offset the wheels so you can save some room on the sides.
10/11/2017 7:59am Edited Date/Time 10/11/2017 8:01am
Small or large an enclosed trailer is really helpful for going riding over weekend or even for a day. You can cary multiple bikes, tools, gear and pretty much anything else and its all sealed from the elements. You can sleep in it too. You can only even set your own mini race rig by setting up an awning on the side and putting your bike under it.
ama530
10/11/2017 6:32pm

I pretty much did the same thing KGAspeed did. I bought a lightly used Haulmark 6x12 trailer, gutted it and put some love into it. Resheeted the walls with 3/8, tiled the floor, put in the etrack system on the walls and floor, (3) removable pop chocks, bench with tool box and vise, air compressor, inverter generator, gas can box, and rewired with some LED interior lighting. Well worth every bit of work and money. My boys take a fancy to it also.
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
10/11/2017 11:09pm
7x10 with a 50 gallon water tank underneath, water pump/hose bib, & 2 front doors, just low enough to fit in the garage. We're happy with it.

Post a reply to: 6x12 Trailer setups

The Latest