A little help needed in CA

WillyB
7/11/2019 9:56pm Edited Date/Time 7/11/2019 10:40pm
I don’t want to see the dunes close but I’m not going to lie, it can be a shit show for damn sure. People get killed out there on a regular basis. And this is coming from someone who lives only a couple hours of away and rode there most of my life. On a non Holiday weekend it’s not that bad but the mixture of quad/buggy rentals, drunks in trucks and just flat out squids, I can see both sides of this argument.
Ray_MXS
7/11/2019 10:34pm
rex.e wrote:
i was In pismo this weekend and there was a dust cloud over the dunes. I would be okay with closing it down to foot traffic...
i was In pismo this weekend and there was a dust cloud over the dunes. I would be okay with closing it down to foot traffic only. I'm not a fan of the dune crowd or a fan of four wheelers or a fan of dust or fan of noise. I rather have a park all can enjoy and treasure. I was surprised at how many Mexicans there were in the dunes. Can we please display American flags only? I don't get all the Mexico pride flags. To each their own but have a little respect for America on Idepence day.
7/12/2019 12:09pm
WillyB wrote:
I don’t want to see the dunes close but I’m not going to lie, it can be a shit show for damn sure. People get killed...
I don’t want to see the dunes close but I’m not going to lie, it can be a shit show for damn sure. People get killed out there on a regular basis. And this is coming from someone who lives only a couple hours of away and rode there most of my life. On a non Holiday weekend it’s not that bad but the mixture of quad/buggy rentals, drunks in trucks and just flat out squids, I can see both sides of this argument.
This decision has nothing to do with Safety. And those risks are present at any OHV Area. You Ride at your own risk. Let’s just ban OHV’s all together why don’t we?
trexx
7/12/2019 2:36pm
I’m all for the dunes staying open, but Pismo would be just fine if they closed.... anyway I’m stoked that they’re going to stay open and that the coastal Commission didn’t get what they wanted

The Shop

dean122
7/12/2019 3:11pm
I'm glad the dunes are staying open for now. I've lived in Southern California all my life. The culture has changed ALOT over the years. The saying goes, If you can't beat them, you join them and I sure as shit ain't joining this fruitcake train. Idaho, Washington or Montana will be my place of residence in the coming years.
Skuzzy29
6/29/2020 4:20pm
Skuzzy29 wrote:
Yes, it's California being California. Another senseless 'commission' using pseudo science to recommend closing the Pismo Dunes. Anyone willing to sign the petition and share it...
Yes, it's California being California. Another senseless 'commission' using pseudo science to recommend closing the Pismo Dunes.
Anyone willing to sign the petition and share it would be a helpful step. There's more info also on attending meetings and sending emails.

Petition Link
I think there is certainly a middle ground that can be reached, I’m hoping they go that route instead of complete closure. Oceano Dunes is the...
I think there is certainly a middle ground that can be reached, I’m hoping they go that route instead of complete closure. Oceano Dunes is the busiest park in the CA system. That says something. With all of the $$ that the camping and day use fees bring in i’d be shocked if it closed.

But the science is anything but “pseudo” Skuzzy. Before you start clamoring about liberals and fake “commissions” look into the report. I spend a lot of time up there, my parents have a place in Pismo, and there have been days you come around the bend from Santa Maria and the air quality is noticeably different. There is nothing pseudo about that. They have spent years documenting and studying it. The town has grown and developement to the south in Nipomo has really added fuel to the fire as more residents have been complaining. That’s the real problem here and we see it over and over in riding areas in CA. Development is the threat, not Commissions.

As a lifelong surfer, i’m very familiar with the CCC and they do tons of good. Without their efforts, public access to beaches for everyday Joes like you and me would be blocked by Billionaires that buy up beach front property. I share your same frustration and I enjoy riding the dunes as well, but you can’t deny that it has become a shit show out there. Ever since they closed the southern part and decreased the OHV area it puts too many people in too small of an area IMO.

Perhaps a simple solution is decreasing the number of daily permits they give out. Less people = less dust and environmental impact. Seems like a win-win.
Dusting this thread off with a reminder...it truly is pseudo science blaming recreation! Recent numbers show DOUBLE the particulates and the dunes were closed.

From a recent article:

"The Oceano Dunes District alone contributes about 3,300 jobs and provides about $2 million in state and local taxes as well. The most important aspect of the loss of revenue is its impact on the entire county. With the loss of such revenue, thriving businesses become extinct, unemployment skyrockets, infrastructure improvements become impossible, and the interconnectedness of our community wains.

The most important way we can bring our community together is to commit to researching proposals which benefit all stakeholders. A recent example of this is the controversy surrounds the exceedances of California’s air quality standard for airborne dust. In a recent study conducted about the number of PM10 State Standard Exceedance on the Nipomo Mesa comparing May 2015 through May 2020, the data is telling.

Comparing 2019 to 2020 the data indicates the number of exceedances in 2019 is six and in 2020, twelve. It is interesting to note the Oceano Dunes were closed in May 2020 and the exceedances were double over the prior year. Again, with the absence of recreation on the Dunes the exceedances doubled.
"
6/29/2020 10:26pm
You can sign all the petitions you want....and vote for propositions for that matter. If they don't tow the agenda line, they get overturned.

Stick a fork in Kaleeeforneeea....it's done.

Skuzzy29
6/29/2020 10:32pm
You can sign all the petitions you want....and vote for propositions for that matter. If they don't tow the agenda line, they get overturned. Stick a...
You can sign all the petitions you want....and vote for propositions for that matter. If they don't tow the agenda line, they get overturned.

Stick a fork in Kaleeeforneeea....it's done.

Actually the petition was pretty helpful in keeping things open...but the war continues.
6/29/2020 11:04pm
If it closes still go. Current history shows there is no rules for those who blatantly break them.

Post a reply to: A little help needed in CA

The Latest