A serious question about the Asterisk Crew

DownSouth
3/6/2011 7:46am
newmann wrote:
Maybe someone will come along and tell us what really happened at Daytona.
With the amount of secrecy surrounding team 7 don't expect to hear anything other than guesses by the media.
72kiteboarder
3/6/2011 8:01am Edited Date/Time 3/6/2011 8:04am
Nerd wrote:
Stewart kicked some serious ass, so if you'd have stopped him, that seems to obviously be a bad decision.
Doing good does not mean he shouldn't have been stopped. A second hit on the head can be deadly when you have a concussion. I am glad he continued and did well but he should not have continued after that hit just like Hansen should not have been allowed to race with a diagnosed concussion.
ebers
Fantasy
170th
3/6/2011 8:34am
How come I always hear people aren't that smart on Vital? From what I'm gathering here, is that everyone is a doctor and knows everything from their couch. Keep it up, next time I need to go my doctor I'll just come here instead.
hairy
3/6/2011 8:46am
VEGAS711 wrote:
Last week at Atlanta Ronnie was knocked out for over a minute and the practice was red flagged. The first thing they said to me was...
Last week at Atlanta Ronnie was knocked out for over a minute and the practice was red flagged. The first thing they said to me was he is done for the night, he doesn't know where he is at. We went to their truck to get checked out and they observed him for 45 minutes. He kept progressively getting memory back and vitals (no pun intended) checked out good. They went over the latest research on concussions with us and gave me a 4 page packet on that research. Then they handed me a 2 part form to sign and told me that they can't tell him not to ride that night but they strongly, strongly recommend he does not. They said if he chooses to ride then I need to sign that paper and give them one copy. It is sitting in my tool box, but I did not even start to read it to see what is says because at no point after his crash did I even remotely think that he was going to ride again that day. But from that experience it seems to me that it ultimately up to the rider.DizzyDizzyDizzy
This post tells the entire liability story. The Asterisk guys could take their time with Ronnie and even then they quite rightly wanted a liability signature. How are they going to do that trackside during a race ? If the Asterisk guys had hampered James for even a second and he loses the title by a few points, how many asshole lawyers are knocking at a ranch in Florida offering to take on a win percentage lawsuit. The fees alone of those MF assholes can take you business, your house, your life. You gonna put all that on the line ?

The Shop

zippy895
3/6/2011 8:51am
im sure they would of black flagged him if he was looking like a hazard to himself and others
3/6/2011 9:01am
Maybe the "head injury" was a guy struggling with the wind knocked out of him?
I could buy that except he seemed to be off balance and was shaking his head while trying to restart.

Still surprised not a whole lot of new technology is going into helmets. There is a company up here doing cool stuff with mouthguards that have sensors built into them that can measure impact for football players. A high school team can have a monitor on the sidelines and players can be quickly pulled if they take too much of a blow to the head. Would be interesting to see that in this sport.
500guy
3/6/2011 9:13am
Spinner wrote:
Do they have any sort of authority to step in and tell a rider after a crash that he is done for the night? Considering all...
Do they have any sort of authority to step in and tell a rider after a crash that he is done for the night?
Considering all the data coming to light in recent years concerning concussions, you'd think this would be a point the Asterisk crew would take seriously along with AMA Pro.
They can suggest and treat but the choice is up to the rider and Teams on weather they want to continue.

I do not think there is anything in the rules saying that they can stop a rider from racing.
Sonny
3/6/2011 9:13am
Nerd wrote:
Stewart kicked some serious ass, so if you'd have stopped him, that seems to obviously be a bad decision.
OK, do they need to assist him back on his bike?? Like everything else, a death needs to happen before people realize that help getting a man back on the bike is a bad decision. I know nothing about human injuries, but I do know that I wouldn't be liable for a situation that is uncertain.
Ddavis
3/6/2011 9:46am
Nerd wrote:
Doing good does not mean he shouldn't have been stopped. A second hit on the head can be deadly when you have a concussion. I am...
Doing good does not mean he shouldn't have been stopped. A second hit on the head can be deadly when you have a concussion. I am glad he continued and did well but he should not have continued after that hit just like Hansen should not have been allowed to race with a diagnosed concussion.
This would be a different story if James crashed again and was in the hospital right now.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
806th
3/6/2011 9:46am
My completely uneducated guess would be that the Asterisk's crew couldn't stop a rider, but if he gets back on the track and appears to be a hazard to himself or the other racers the AMA could black flag the rider.

Did anyone else find it slow and painful knowing he was going to try to swing his leg over the bike, not knowing the fender was sticking straight up in the air.
HOLESHOTmoto
3/6/2011 9:51am
Spinner wrote:
Do they have any sort of authority to step in and tell a rider after a crash that he is done for the night? Considering all...
Do they have any sort of authority to step in and tell a rider after a crash that he is done for the night?
Considering all the data coming to light in recent years concerning concussions, you'd think this would be a point the Asterisk crew would take seriously along with AMA Pro.
"Blind faith in a god is a poor substitute for logic and reason."

Who has blind faith? Certainly not us Christians. The evidence is what turned us to the Lord. You ovbiously have no clue about that. Everything in your little sentence is soooo wrong
MDMCG
3/6/2011 10:05am
You guys are such backseat drivers. I love how untrained people like to sit around on Sunday, with their beer in their left hand and keyboard in-front of them, and second guess everything that happened the previous day.

The PA, medic, etc's had about 20 seconds to do an evaluation (if you want to call it that), and had even less time to do anything about it. Neither Asterisk guys saw the actual crash, all they saw was a bike (w/o rider) clearing the triple jump.

I'd personally love to see you guys in the same situation, and see what you do.
SlowMoFo
3/6/2011 10:11am
When I saw him attempting to remount and landing on his ass I got worried. I have been a paramedic for 13 years and If I had a saying in that specific situation, I wouldn't let him ride. Maybe he was alert and oriented but his balance was obviously affected.
3/6/2011 10:11am
Spinner wrote:
I wouldn't want that authority if I was on the crew. LIABILITY........If they have the authority and don't make the right call (in some shark attorneys eyes) they get sued. Leave it unsaid and up to the racer and team. If the racer goes out and demonstrates a danger to other racers he can be black flagged off the track.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
806th
3/6/2011 10:15am
MDMCG wrote:
You guys are such backseat drivers. I love how untrained people like to sit around on Sunday, with their beer in their left hand and keyboard...
You guys are such backseat drivers. I love how untrained people like to sit around on Sunday, with their beer in their left hand and keyboard in-front of them, and second guess everything that happened the previous day.

The PA, medic, etc's had about 20 seconds to do an evaluation (if you want to call it that), and had even less time to do anything about it. Neither Asterisk guys saw the actual crash, all they saw was a bike (w/o rider) clearing the triple jump.

Well shit, the medical student has spoken. End of thread.

They did see him attempt to get on his bike, fall on his ass, and struggle to get back to his feet. In medical school, do they teach you that if someone has a trauma and appears to be disoriented there could possibly be a head injury? Maybe you haven't had that course yet.
Ddavis
3/6/2011 10:20am
MDMCG wrote:
You guys are such backseat drivers. I love how untrained people like to sit around on Sunday, with their beer in their left hand and keyboard...

Imagine standing 10 feet from James when he goes end over end like that. Would you say "Yeah bro your okay go for it".

As your probably sitting here with a four loko in your hand.
Rooster
3/6/2011 11:07am
I was more than a little worried about his condition as he got back on the bike. Once he was back on the track he looked like he was fine though. If he can crank out the fastest lap after a crash like that then he obviously had his wits about him. It was an impressive performance. Both before and after the crash.
Nerd
3/6/2011 12:05pm
Nerd wrote:
Sonny wrote:
OK, do they need to assist him back on his bike?? Like everything else, a death needs to happen before people realize that help getting a...
OK, do they need to assist him back on his bike?? Like everything else, a death needs to happen before people realize that help getting a man back on the bike is a bad decision. I know nothing about human injuries, but I do know that I wouldn't be liable for a situation that is uncertain.
They didn't assist him back on his bike. He was very weak when he got up (as is usual when you take a crash like that), and he went to swing his leg over the back of the bike, but the rear fender was sticking up in the air, so his leg hit the fender (his bike was already higher than where he was standing) and he lost his balance because he didn't expect that and fell. One Asterisk guy held the bike to keep it from falling on James (normal) and the other helped James stand up (also normal for Asterisk if the guy is trying to get up).

Then James got on his bike on his own and took off.

Then put in some of the fastest laps of the night.

If the Asterisk crew would've stopped him based on the small amount of evidence we got on TV, that would've been a big problem. They aren't race officials. And as it turned out, Stewart was good enough to get up like 10 seconds in front of Villopoto and stay in front of Villopoto for 17 laps on his way to ninth place.

So, I don't see why this is even being argued. He may not have been 100% (probably wasn't), but whatever percentage he was was still way better than just about everybody.
kongols
3/6/2011 12:16pm
OH you gonna get some sh*t for bringing up percentage.
redalert144
Fantasy
3058th
3/6/2011 12:20pm Edited Date/Time 3/6/2011 12:42pm
kongols wrote:
OH you gonna get some sh*t for bringing up percentage.
Nerd thinks he is right about everything, what's the point
MDMCG
3/6/2011 12:21pm
MDMCG wrote:

GrapeApe wrote:
Well shit, the medical student has spoken. End of thread. They did see him attempt to get on his bike, fall on his ass, and struggle...

They did see him attempt to get on his bike, fall on his ass, and struggle to get back to his feet. In medical school, do they teach you that if someone has a trauma and appears to be disoriented there could possibly be a head injury? Maybe you haven't had that course yet.
I'm not saying that I would let him ride after that. What I'm saying is that it's easy to sit here on the sofa and second guess the split second decisions of medical practitioners in a less-than-desierable conditions. His struggle to get back to his feet could also be 2ndary to broken ribs, ever think of that?

You didn't talk to him on the sidelines so you don't have any idea what went into that decision. 5 medical providers were within 5 feet of JS during that entire incident, so don't solely put this on the Asterisk crew.

This is just about as useless of a thread as the JS/CR incident last week, when people said that JS just hammered it on and tried to hit CR.
Roscoe33
3/6/2011 12:50pm
You can't compare Sat. night SX to Sunday football...

James Stewart is racing on the track for himself, a Dallas Cowboys football player is owned by the Dallas Coyboys, when the trainer (who is employed by the Dallas Coyboys) makes a call to pull a player his first obigation is to the Dallas Coyboys best interest first.
Pro football players don't sign a waiver every sunday because the team owns their rights with their player contract.

The fact that james started the bike shows me he was caple, but what do I know ? I was watching on TV...
PFitzG38
3/6/2011 12:51pm
Maybe the "head injury" was a guy struggling with the wind knocked out of him?
captmoto wrote:
Ding,Ding, Ding!!! Thats exactly what I told my wife and kids. My son remembered being 12, going over the bars and having the wind knocked out...
Ding,Ding, Ding!!! Thats exactly what I told my wife and kids. My son remembered being 12, going over the bars and having the wind knocked out. If JS hit his head hard enough to knock himself out he would not have bounced up like he did.
Not at all a Stewart fan but he showed the heart of a champion.
RaceFace wrote:
You guys kill me. So how did he let the Aterisk crew know he was okay if it was just the wind knocked out of him...
You guys kill me. So how did he let the Aterisk crew know he was okay if it was just the wind knocked out of him? He can talk with that condition? It takes a bit longer to get your wind back than that. He would have been crouched on the ground trying to get it back don't ya think?

Seriously, you didn't see how wobbly he was, falling on his ass like being drunk? Watch some MMA fights and see how different KO's can be. Sometimes a guy's knees go limp for a split second and they come right back....other times it's lights out for minutes. That was a hit to the head, and they come easily now because Stewart already has had something like 7 concussions, some very serious where he couldn't continue. One fact about concussions, each one makes the next one easier to get and harder to heal from. It basically takes Stewart a tap on the dome at this point to be concussed.
Your killing me!! The pussification of motocross continues. Could he have been concussed and killed himself and others after continuing? Yes but so what!! - this is fricking MOTOCROSS not football or some other meager sport. This is the sport of kings performed by gladiator atheletes and every guy that lines up knows he may kill some one or get killed by someone. Mid race IS NOT the place to do medical checks. Now if a rider gets up and is an obvious danger, thats what the black flag is for. Should he be checked between motos? Absolutely! Now don't get me wrong I am ALL about preventable saftey issues. This sport is getting way too sanitized corporatized and pussified, lets not encourage it OK? If you disagree there are always other meager sports to watch and let little Jhonnie compete in. RaceFace huh?? well put it on!
RaceFace
3/6/2011 1:57pm
MDMCG wrote:

GrapeApe wrote:
Well shit, the medical student has spoken. End of thread. They did see him attempt to get on his bike, fall on his ass, and struggle...

Yep, the wind was knocked out of him appears to be the alternate diagnosis, which matches much more with the symptoms seen. Why are guys like MDMCG defending the Asterisk guys so vehemently?

I just watched this again and now realize they weren't even going to bother to see if he was okay! Neither made any motion to come over to him until he fell trying to swing his leg over the fender. At that point all they did was help him get up and on the bike. If the medical team needs to help a guy onto his bike isn't that the first sign that there is a problem? I think what people are missing here is those of us concerned by this are worried about rider safety. Those defending this seem to think it is an attack on Stewart. At the very least, there needs to be authority to hold a guy that is falling down like that for a few extra seconds to make sure he's okay. If he crashes again before completing a lap, the black flag isn't going to help much. Hopefully, this will be the impetus of putting something in place for handling this type of situation and not a death in the future.
RaceFace
3/6/2011 2:04pm
captmoto wrote:
Ding,Ding, Ding!!! Thats exactly what I told my wife and kids. My son remembered being 12, going over the bars and having the wind knocked out...
Ding,Ding, Ding!!! Thats exactly what I told my wife and kids. My son remembered being 12, going over the bars and having the wind knocked out. If JS hit his head hard enough to knock himself out he would not have bounced up like he did.
Not at all a Stewart fan but he showed the heart of a champion.
RaceFace wrote:
You guys kill me. So how did he let the Aterisk crew know he was okay if it was just the wind knocked out of him...
You guys kill me. So how did he let the Aterisk crew know he was okay if it was just the wind knocked out of him? He can talk with that condition? It takes a bit longer to get your wind back than that. He would have been crouched on the ground trying to get it back don't ya think?

Seriously, you didn't see how wobbly he was, falling on his ass like being drunk? Watch some MMA fights and see how different KO's can be. Sometimes a guy's knees go limp for a split second and they come right back....other times it's lights out for minutes. That was a hit to the head, and they come easily now because Stewart already has had something like 7 concussions, some very serious where he couldn't continue. One fact about concussions, each one makes the next one easier to get and harder to heal from. It basically takes Stewart a tap on the dome at this point to be concussed.
PFitzG38 wrote:
Your killing me!! The pussification of motocross continues. Could he have been concussed and killed himself and others after continuing? Yes but so what!! - this...
Your killing me!! The pussification of motocross continues. Could he have been concussed and killed himself and others after continuing? Yes but so what!! - this is fricking MOTOCROSS not football or some other meager sport. This is the sport of kings performed by gladiator atheletes and every guy that lines up knows he may kill some one or get killed by someone. Mid race IS NOT the place to do medical checks. Now if a rider gets up and is an obvious danger, thats what the black flag is for. Should he be checked between motos? Absolutely! Now don't get me wrong I am ALL about preventable saftey issues. This sport is getting way too sanitized corporatized and pussified, lets not encourage it OK? If you disagree there are always other meager sports to watch and let little Jhonnie compete in. RaceFace huh?? well put it on!
Yeah the black flag will do great things after a guy is lying paralyzed or dead on the track. Why do you attach your own manhood to MX so deeply that it is an attack on your personal well-being? You see death of one of the sport's riders as an acceptable consequence of making sure we don't "pussify" it? You are a complete fool. Even a barbaric sport like MMA (which I enjoy) has their shit together in this head injury department. If anything is a gladiator sport, it is MMA. Yet they'll stop a fight the second a guy is KO'd. Seriously?
Ddavis
3/6/2011 2:08pm
SlowMoFo wrote:
When I saw him attempting to remount and landing on his ass I got worried. I have been a paramedic for 13 years and If I...
When I saw him attempting to remount and landing on his ass I got worried. I have been a paramedic for 13 years and If I had a saying in that specific situation, I wouldn't let him ride. Maybe he was alert and oriented but his balance was obviously affected.
I know what you mean, back a few months ago I crashed and got knocked silly where I wasn't completely sure what happened. No memory loss, knew who I was and what day it was and everything, my balance was definately off as I appeared drunk as I walked off the track lol! I think maybe James was like that, knew the track and where he was but was knocked silly and hard to stay on two feet.
Hank_Thrill
3/6/2011 2:24pm Edited Date/Time 3/6/2011 2:24pm
Have you guys read Stewart's press release? In it they mention that he rung his bell. That's not the exact wording, but it did provide a nice euphemism for a mild concussion. Nowhere in it did they mention falling over due to "the wind being knocked out of him."

I wonder how much longer it would have taken him to remount if he didn't have two other guys holding him and his bike up for him?
PFitzG38
3/6/2011 2:50pm
RaceFace wrote:

PFitzG38 wrote:
Your killing me!! The pussification of motocross continues. Could he have been concussed and killed himself and others after continuing? Yes but so what!! - this...
RaceFace wrote:
Yeah the black flag will do great things after a guy is lying paralyzed or dead on the track. Why do you attach your own manhood...
Yeah the black flag will do great things after a guy is lying paralyzed or dead on the track. Why do you attach your own manhood to MX so deeply that it is an attack on your personal well-being? You see death of one of the sport's riders as an acceptable consequence of making sure we don't "pussify" it? You are a complete fool. Even a barbaric sport like MMA (which I enjoy) has their shit together in this head injury department. If anything is a gladiator sport, it is MMA. Yet they'll stop a fight the second a guy is KO'd. Seriously?
I completey disagree with you as would anyone I think who has raced at a high level. The attack you think I percieve is not on my manhood or personal well-being it is on the instituition and legacy of motocross as it was originally concieved. Motocross is dangerous. Supposed to be. More so than any other sport. It's not for everybody. In fact very few are cut out for it. This is not some stick and ball sport that can be played at the highest level without being an athlete and minimal risk of injury or where the main object is to maime and/or beat the shit out of your opponent. Thats what makes it so appealling....at least to purists of the sport. It dosn't surprize me they stop fights in MMA.....perhaps it's because they can - just like football, baseball et al. BTW this viewpoint is coming from someone who has endured many injuries, including a broken neck and 6 months in a halo from a first turn crash at Anaheim Stadium back in the day and more recently KO'd myself for over 5 mins, broke 5 ribs and a shoulder along with a punctured lung at a recent Vet World Championship at Glen Helen so I know a thing or 2 about acceptable consequences.

BTW I also think the Asterisk Medical Crew are as least as knowledgeable about head injuries if not more so than any MMA crew. I think you would agree after talking with Doc B. or Eddie C. and I would trust them with my life as all AMA Pro racers gratefully do.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3817&id=100000399064686&l=31a5c61…
Rabbit
3/6/2011 2:54pm
Nerd wrote:
Surprised you are basing the decision at the time was the right one based on what didn't happen.There are a lot of decisions that can be obvious after the fact.

You think a some point the team and/or riders would give up some control to the medical crew to make a judgment call mid-race? If the rider can't answer basic questions (what city are you in? What day of the week is it? What number are you?) can the medic pull the rider out of the race?. Or will it be the status quo and hope that the wrong decision isn't made.
newmann
3/6/2011 2:56pm
Black Flag? Seriously, this is the AMA we're talking about here right? They're still learning the yellow and blue and now you go and throw the black one in there.

Has a black flag ever been brought out in SX?

Post a reply to: A serious question about the Asterisk Crew

The Latest