A way to get LCQs in night show for Triple Crown...

moto804
Run them after the first main events!

First mains run with just the top 18 (or cut it to 16) that qualified in from practice. The rest run the LCQ (4 min +1lap) and the top 4 get credited with 19-22 in main #1.
Mains 2 & 3 run as is.

Less bikes going into the first corner on the first sprint mean a better chance of all the real contenders making it through.

This gives the privateers some night show time. Gives the main teams the same 50 min break that was referenced a few times. Gives the fans more racing content instead of filler content.

The only penalty is for someone that doesn't qualify well and can't improve in the 1st main. To me that is a fair penalty for not being able to throw down a good lap. This weekend really only Reed would have been affected.

Thoughts?
|
1/22/2018 5:09pm
Hmmm ye, something similar would be to have a "B Final Main Event" where like the next 20-22 riders in quali have a race. LCQ style.. maybye a little bit longer. Gives more riders the chance to ride in the night show like during regular sx.
Johnny Depp
1/22/2018 6:27pm Edited Date/Time 1/23/2018 6:09am
No LCQ's for me, they shouldn't even waste the time with them since 90% of the time it will be the top timed qualifers who make it to the main.

And please don't drag a B main out of the dead file. We finally got rid of the privateers. I can see them at Arenacross or local races, but don't have interest in watching them run way off the pace just to get exposure. TV time=$ and that is why it's a 3 hour show to sell commercials and paid content. Not to promote some riders that aren't there yet.
sixeightynine
1/22/2018 6:32pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2018 6:36pm
Why not run replays of the LCQ races between mains? No need to be live. Just break it down, and show how riders got to the night show.

As an added bonus... more racing, less dead air.

The Shop

Ted722
1/22/2018 7:15pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2018 7:52pm
Got it, got it...figured it out. Top 15 riders that don’t qualify for the Triple Crown night show get a couple practice sessions on a fleet of Husky TC125’s, then a 2-moto exhibition in the night show. Fans happy, riders happy, sponsors happy (most of them).
Beeby
1/22/2018 9:25pm
Is the point to fill the downtime though? I mean, we want it filled but do Fox Sports and the promoters? I thought someone said they design the format to allow for as much commercial time as possible...
KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
1/22/2018 9:47pm
People complain about the commercials between the races, but we should be thankful that they don't have commercial breaks during the actual races.

When bikes aren't on the track they are grooming the track. People complain the tracks break down too much making them dangerous, then complain there is too much down time to prep the tracks. Also the teams want the time between gate drops to allow for a mechanical fix if there is a problem between motos. The stadium wants the intermission to sell beer and food. TV wants to sell commercials.

For the broadcast they could do a race recap/half time type show with some experts, similar to what the NFL does or NASCAR does. That way they can show the holeshot replays, the highlights, and maybe a puff piece every now and then.
bsharkey
1/22/2018 9:50pm
The problem I see with this format is all the top guys are always going to take the top spots and there's no way in hell a privateer is going to make the night show especially in the 450 class. at least when they have qualifiers and heat races the average guy has a chance to make the main when you go off of time qualifying he doesn't
hamncheeze
1/23/2018 8:49am
Why not run replays of the LCQ races between mains? No need to be live. Just break it down, and show how riders got to the...
Why not run replays of the LCQ races between mains? No need to be live. Just break it down, and show how riders got to the night show.

Exactly this ^^^

FOX already has the footage from Race Day Live. It would be an easy insertion into the broadcast and could even be shown on the jumbotrons at the races. It would go a long way to helping the flow of the evening in the Triple Crown events. And it would give the guys who missed out at least a small amount of TV time.
kkawboy14
1/23/2018 8:50am
LCQ would confuse the audience, 4 wheelers or 2 strokes
Flip109
1/23/2018 9:00am
No LCQ's for me, they shouldn't even waste the time with them since 90% of the time it will be the top timed qualifers who make...
No LCQ's for me, they shouldn't even waste the time with them since 90% of the time it will be the top timed qualifers who make it to the main.

And please don't drag a B main out of the dead file. We finally got rid of the privateers. I can see them at Arenacross or local races, but don't have interest in watching them run way off the pace just to get exposure. TV time=$ and that is why it's a 3 hour show to sell commercials and paid content. Not to promote some riders that aren't there yet.
This. I don’t care to watch significantly slower riders. I can do that at any local race. Like someone mentioned on another thread. Watching the C and B qualifiers during the day is cringe worthy. The dudes aren’t even racing, they are just doing good to make it around the track safe. The triple crown just needs longer motos.
1/23/2018 2:12pm
Why not run replays of the LCQ races between mains? No need to be live. Just break it down, and show how riders got to the...

This makes much more sense.

Having an LCQ after the first race would mean what? That you have a "last chance" to be late to the show? I would assume the top four guys from the LCQ would have to be scored 19-22 going into the second race -- lower is better -- so they'd be effectively eliminated from the overall. Didn't Reed come through the LCQ Saturday night? You think he'd wanna enter Race 2 with 19 points?

Post a reply to: A way to get LCQs in night show for Triple Crown...

The Latest