AMA Australia

fanger
Well after a few of the local clubs have ditched MA and made the change to AMA, do any of you Aussies lurking the forum have much information on the AMA? All I can really find is it's stupidly cheap to get a yearly licence with them and they're getting a shit load of tracks to jump shit.

At $165 For a family licence it's less than half what a single senior MA license costs. Before I pull the trigger I'd like to know a little more if possible.

Do they plan to run any mx series? Do they have a grading, class and number system yet? Will their rise see more mx tracks open? Is their business model sustainable?

Cheers!
|
fanger
2/19/2020 4:12pm
All I know is I hope it crushes MA
Yeah same. It seems like it could be great for the sport. Time will tell.
deanwhite51
Fantasy
2591st
2/19/2020 6:56pm
if your in nsw, a few clubs have linked up and made memberships that are at a cheaper price but covers the 3 tracks.

but yeah.. MA is a joke. always has and always will.
fanger
2/19/2020 7:23pm
if your in nsw, a few clubs have linked up and made memberships that are at a cheaper price but covers the 3 tracks. but yeah...
if your in nsw, a few clubs have linked up and made memberships that are at a cheaper price but covers the 3 tracks.

but yeah.. MA is a joke. always has and always will.
Down in Vic mate, toolleen and ravo have just gone over. Two pretty good tracks.

The Shop

tobz
2/19/2020 7:53pm
fanger wrote:
Well after a few of the local clubs have ditched MA and made the change to AMA, do any of you Aussies lurking the forum have...
Well after a few of the local clubs have ditched MA and made the change to AMA, do any of you Aussies lurking the forum have much information on the AMA? All I can really find is it's stupidly cheap to get a yearly licence with them and they're getting a shit load of tracks to jump shit.

At $165 For a family licence it's less than half what a single senior MA license costs. Before I pull the trigger I'd like to know a little more if possible.

Do they plan to run any mx series? Do they have a grading, class and number system yet? Will their rise see more mx tracks open? Is their business model sustainable?

Cheers!
From what I gather, AMA memberships don't involve any competitive racing as such. Just practice days, etc. Which is fine, there are pretty much no competitive race days in our regional area due to the rediculously high MA membership costs anyway.
Momus
2/19/2020 8:54pm Edited Date/Time 2/20/2020 4:47am
fanger wrote:
Well after a few of the local clubs have ditched MA and made the change to AMA, do any of you Aussies lurking the forum have...

Cheers!
Unsustainable business model, high excess costs on claims: minimum $5000 apparently, and, possibly, if it was your negligence, AMA don't pay third party claims and may chase you.

Scary for Club volunteer officials Incorporated Club or not.

Get a lawyer with insurance industry experience to look over their offering and compare it to the Rolls Royce MA policy🤔😏
mxmaniac
2/20/2020 12:09am
Mum is the treasurer of blue rock in Vic, I hope they go AMA also. I think all the vintage mx series should also. Get more bums on seats due to it being cheaper.
chump6784
2/20/2020 12:55am Edited Date/Time 2/20/2020 1:01am
fanger wrote:

Cheers!
Momus wrote:
Unsustainable business model, high excess costs on claims: minimum $5000 apparently, and, possibly, if it was your negligence, AMA don't pay third party claims and may...
Unsustainable business model, high excess costs on claims: minimum $5000 apparently, and, possibly, if it was your negligence, AMA don't pay third party claims and may chase you.

Get a lawyer with insurance industry experience to look over their offering and compare it to the Rolls Royce MA policy🤔😏
This guy is right. I mentioned going AMA to the club secretary at one of the clubs i race at. She said that as a volunteer official she basically puts her house on the line by going with AMA. It sucks how expensive MA is but everything is covered

Also, the cost is not much different then it was 20 years ago. Race fees are around the same at $35-$45 and a senior national licence has been around $300 for as long as I can remember
wicksy85
Fantasy
1579th
2/20/2020 1:02am
fanger wrote:

Cheers!
Momus wrote:
Unsustainable business model, high excess costs on claims: minimum $5000 apparently, and, possibly, if it was your negligence, AMA don't pay third party claims and may...

chump6784 wrote:
This guy is right. I mentioned going AMA to the club secretary at one of the clubs i race at. She said that as a volunteer...
This guy is right. I mentioned going AMA to the club secretary at one of the clubs i race at. She said that as a volunteer official she basically puts her house on the line by going with AMA. It sucks how expensive MA is but everything is covered

Also, the cost is not much different then it was 20 years ago. Race fees are around the same at $35-$45 and a senior national licence has been around $300 for as long as I can remember
Spot on, read the fine print about insurance, your pretty well fucked if you injure yourself, it all seems dodgy as fuck that's for sure.

Yeah MA you pay through the roof but if something happens at least your covered
2/20/2020 1:39am
Momus wrote:

chump6784 wrote:
This guy is right. I mentioned going AMA to the club secretary at one of the clubs i race at. She said that as a volunteer...

wicksy85 wrote:
Spot on, read the fine print about insurance, your pretty well fucked if you injure yourself, it all seems dodgy as fuck that's for sure. Yeah...
Spot on, read the fine print about insurance, your pretty well fucked if you injure yourself, it all seems dodgy as fuck that's for sure.

Yeah MA you pay through the roof but if something happens at least your covered
On that last paragraph; did Matt Moss ever get anything for his superpole bulldozer crash?
wicksy85
Fantasy
1579th
2/20/2020 2:24am
On that last paragraph; did Matt Moss ever get anything for his superpole bulldozer crash?
Last I heard it was still ongoing, way above my head what's happening there
2/20/2020 2:36am
fanger wrote:

Cheers!
Momus wrote:

chump6784 wrote:

Nothing is covered with ma, whoever has told you that has obviously not tried to make a claim. I know a lot of people that have tried to claim for things that exactly fit their description of what is covered, that is the main reason for a lot of clubs switching over.

That said I currently have both licences and have raced events under both organisations, I hope all clubs switch, it is not possible for AMA to back riders less than ma.
2/20/2020 2:37am
wicksy85 wrote:
Last I heard it was still ongoing, way above my head what's happening there
He won’t get anything....it’s MA.
2/20/2020 2:39am
fanger wrote:

Cheers!
tobz wrote:
From what I gather, AMA memberships don't involve any competitive racing as such. Just practice days, etc. Which is fine, there are pretty much no competitive...
From what I gather, AMA memberships don't involve any competitive racing as such. Just practice days, etc. Which is fine, there are pretty much no competitive race days in our regional area due to the rediculously high MA membership costs anyway.
I have raced several events run under AMA in QLD, plenty more to come hopefully.
2/20/2020 2:58am
Momus wrote:

chump6784 wrote:

Nothing is covered with ma, whoever has told you that has obviously not tried to make a claim. I know a lot of people that have...
Nothing is covered with ma, whoever has told you that has obviously not tried to make a claim. I know a lot of people that have tried to claim for things that exactly fit their description of what is covered, that is the main reason for a lot of clubs switching over.

That said I currently have both licences and have raced events under both organisations, I hope all clubs switch, it is not possible for AMA to back riders less than ma.
I was going to say, a dozen very bad injuries with medical expenses and loss of wages, nothing from VMBA, ACU or MA.

They just protect themselves.
chump6784
2/20/2020 3:42am
chump6784 wrote:

Nothing is covered with ma, whoever has told you that has obviously not tried to make a claim. I know a lot of people that have...

I was going to say, a dozen very bad injuries with medical expenses and loss of wages, nothing from VMBA, ACU or MA. They just protect...
I was going to say, a dozen very bad injuries with medical expenses and loss of wages, nothing from VMBA, ACU or MA.

They just protect themselves.
I was referring more to the clubs and volunteers that run them. On MA's own website it tells riders to get their own income protection
Momus
2/20/2020 4:58am Edited Date/Time 2/20/2020 10:37am

fullysicmate, the below is part of a reply to this same discussion on another board:

Andrew Wythe wrote the following:

"Additionally, I was amazed at the number of substantial claims submitted by riders against MA over the years since 2002 – over $13million worth paid out. As a business owner I know how hard insurance is to get and especially to gain continuity of cover at an acceptable renewable premium rate when you are continually making claims in the public liability area. Talking to an insurance professional on the above MA claims history (General Manager) his comment was “that it is not likely that a liability provider would continue with the above amount of claims and provide continuity of insurance at a consistence premium rate based on the above claim history – or provide continuity at all”. Now that’s a big risk for the sport.
No hate on anyone’s preference or what they believe; I personally feel better backed under the current MA system."

Some people are under the misapprehension that all accidents suffered in a race are covered by MA. When you enter a race you sign an indemnity to absolve other riders and officials of almost anything that happens to you (or that you do to another rider) during the event.

That is not true re MA etc not paying. My understanding is if the accident is caused by an officials negligence, say failing to warn against a new kicker, tyres or star pickets too close, etc then the claim can be made. I know of several made successfully this way.
CROMP
2/20/2020 7:44am
You need your own insurance cover. Neither AMA or MA are for that. AMA covers almost exactly what MA will cover give or take both ways. It's all laid out comprehensively on the AMA websites if you really want know.
2/20/2020 12:17pm

Momus wrote:
fullysicmate, the below is part of a reply to this same discussion on another board: Andrew Wythe wrote the following: "Additionally, I was amazed at the...
fullysicmate, the below is part of a reply to this same discussion on another board:

Andrew Wythe wrote the following:

"Additionally, I was amazed at the number of substantial claims submitted by riders against MA over the years since 2002 – over $13million worth paid out. As a business owner I know how hard insurance is to get and especially to gain continuity of cover at an acceptable renewable premium rate when you are continually making claims in the public liability area. Talking to an insurance professional on the above MA claims history (General Manager) his comment was “that it is not likely that a liability provider would continue with the above amount of claims and provide continuity of insurance at a consistence premium rate based on the above claim history – or provide continuity at all”. Now that’s a big risk for the sport.
No hate on anyone’s preference or what they believe; I personally feel better backed under the current MA system."

Some people are under the misapprehension that all accidents suffered in a race are covered by MA. When you enter a race you sign an indemnity to absolve other riders and officials of almost anything that happens to you (or that you do to another rider) during the event.

That is not true re MA etc not paying. My understanding is if the accident is caused by an officials negligence, say failing to warn against a new kicker, tyres or star pickets too close, etc then the claim can be made. I know of several made successfully this way.
Ok, I would hope there are some successful claims, I do know of injured officials who received nothing. It will be interesting to see if Matt Moss is covered in the end too. I have never tried to claim, nor would I on my own principle, if you get hurt riding thats to be expected in my opinion so be prepared yourself (private health insurance). I still see the only substantial difference between MA and AMA in Australia as the cost to riders. The only time I have see a rider paid out was from suing the property owners and not an MA payout, that track has been closed since.....not good.
CASH476
2/20/2020 3:24pm
Momus wrote:

If you want to look at unsustainable business models, you should have a look at the clubs in Western Australia. MWA ran motorcycling like a mine site with excessive permits, inspections, costs etc and no flexibility at all. To the point where several clubs were either going to fold or had to source their own insurance. All of a sudden there was hundreds of thousands of dollars available for the clubs that chose to stay and a lot more freedom in how things are run Angry

FWIW I do believe the new/current CEO is actually trying to do the best with the situation and seems like a reasonable guy

Worse still, the Western Australian Government is working on a motorsport strategy like the one in NSW that could end up giving us no choice but to go back to MA/MWA. If that goes through we are all fucked.

https://motorcyclist.asn.au/ama-media/motorcyclist-news/entry/the-recog…
Johnny Oz
2/20/2020 6:42pm
mxmaniac wrote:
Mum is the treasurer of blue rock in Vic, I hope they go AMA also. I think all the vintage mx series should also. Get more...
Mum is the treasurer of blue rock in Vic, I hope they go AMA also. I think all the vintage mx series should also. Get more bums on seats due to it being cheaper.
Yeah !!!!
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2475th
2/20/2020 6:48pm
Momus wrote:

chump6784 wrote:

My dad made a few claims via M.A, everything he was entitled to was paid out, including some physio.

Had a rider slow up in front of him, and cross from one side of the track to the other to pull off, didn't end well for him.

Every case is different, but I know he claimed and had no issues.

Post a reply to: AMA Australia

The Latest