AMA Pro National Tracks

Heath B.
Fantasy
1148th
Edited Date/Time 9/7/2018 2:12pm
Who makes the outdoor national track schedule? Also, how do new tracks get added? I’m from Alabama and have to go to Tenn. or Georgia for outdoors or Supercross. I was born into MX/SX following my Uncle Furman Gray in the 70’s. I’ve never lost that passion for the sport. Alabama has some awesome tracks such as #MillCreekMX and #MonsterMountainMX. I don’t understand why they’ve never been looked at for a possible PRO National. #Roczen said he enjoyed the track at #MonsterMountain. Fast tracks, good jumps, step ups, big hills??? Would love seeing Alabama host a Pro event one day. Fans from Alabama, Georgia, Tenn., and Mississippi would pack it out.
https://youtu.be/KGgrnhN136o

|
mxb2
9/5/2018 1:19pm
Heath B. wrote:
Who makes the outdoor national track schedule? Also, how do new tracks get added? I’m from Alabama and have to go to Tenn. or Georgia for...
Who makes the outdoor national track schedule? Also, how do new tracks get added? I’m from Alabama and have to go to Tenn. or Georgia for outdoors or Supercross. I was born into MX/SX following my Uncle Furman Gray in the 70’s. I’ve never lost that passion for the sport. Alabama has some awesome tracks such as #MillCreekMX and #MonsterMountainMX. I don’t understand why they’ve never been looked at for a possible PRO National. #Roczen said he enjoyed the track at #MonsterMountain. Fast tracks, good jumps, step ups, big hills??? Would love seeing Alabama host a Pro event one day. Fans from Alabama, Georgia, Tenn., and Mississippi would pack it out.

Mx sports.
AngryBear
9/5/2018 1:29pm
monster mountain was considered during the time the national went to muddy creek (2013). DC mentioned it, amongst others in contention. Indiana was added the following year (2014).
dadofagun
Fantasy
1962nd
9/5/2018 1:36pm
Heath B. wrote:
Who makes the outdoor national track schedule? Also, how do new tracks get added? I’m from Alabama and have to go to Tenn. or Georgia for...

mxb2 wrote:
Mx sports.
This right here. They decide all.....
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2447th
9/5/2018 1:38pm
a great track isnt the only thing to consider for a national. It needs to be able to have parking and amenities able to support ~20k people, large enough pits, relatively decent viewing and willing and able to sign a contract with MX sports and be able to turn the event into a profitable venture

The Shop

Heath B.
Fantasy
1148th
9/5/2018 1:52pm Edited Date/Time 9/5/2018 1:53pm
The flow of #MonsterMountain reminds me of the old #Pala. Definitely different soil and jumps, but great flow and corners.
Heath B.
Fantasy
1148th
9/5/2018 1:57pm
Being close to a major airport is important.
Birmingham is a ride away, but Montgomery is right there.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
9/5/2018 1:59pm
Hell yeah, MM looks legit! I don't know about the details for its suitability for a national, but the elevation change looks pretty good.
dsmith
Fantasy
1485th
9/5/2018 2:04pm
took a lot of laps on this one years ago
Paw Paw 271
9/5/2018 3:53pm
The track also has to meet the fencing and other standards set by MX Sports plus pay a healthy bundle of cash for the right to hold the event. Most tracks that could handle the venue will not front that amount of cash for that privilege.
If you will recall...Glen Helen would not do it a few years back and thus lost the event until they were able to work out this with MX Sports.

Paw Paw
JustMX
9/5/2018 6:18pm
The track also has to meet the fencing and other standards set by MX Sports plus pay a healthy bundle of cash for the right to...
The track also has to meet the fencing and other standards set by MX Sports plus pay a healthy bundle of cash for the right to hold the event. Most tracks that could handle the venue will not front that amount of cash for that privilege.
If you will recall...Glen Helen would not do it a few years back and thus lost the event until they were able to work out this with MX Sports.

Paw Paw
I think you are stuck back in the 90's.

Weren't the issues at Glen Helen more about improvements that the series wanted completed that gh felt were unneeded and so it turned into a poker game?
9/5/2018 6:54pm
Hey Heath, I used to race with your Uncle Furman when I was up in the Birmingham area in the early/mid-70's. I lived in South Alabama (Florala) but had a cousin in Trussville so I always brought my bikes up and we would go to Warrior, Concord, and Alabaster to race. I remember the early days when Furman was sponsored by Dixie Cycle Supply.

Monster Mountain has a new owner who seems to be putting some money into the place so perhaps it will get another look soon. I would sure like to see Alabama get a race so I could come back and watch.
Heath B.
Fantasy
1148th
9/5/2018 7:04pm
Hey Heath, I used to race with your Uncle Furman when I was up in the Birmingham area in the early/mid-70's. I lived in South Alabama...
Hey Heath, I used to race with your Uncle Furman when I was up in the Birmingham area in the early/mid-70's. I lived in South Alabama (Florala) but had a cousin in Trussville so I always brought my bikes up and we would go to Warrior, Concord, and Alabaster to race. I remember the early days when Furman was sponsored by Dixie Cycle Supply.

Monster Mountain has a new owner who seems to be putting some money into the place so perhaps it will get another look soon. I would sure like to see Alabama get a race so I could come back and watch.
That’s awesome to hear. I wish Furman had stayed in it. I wasn’t but 5 when he walked away after a crash in the Florida AMA’s breaking his collar bone a 3rd time. But I’ve always followed MX because of him. It’s past time to me for Alabama to get on the scene. The only way to grow the sport here to me. Allow kids to see and dream. Thomas Covington is from Alabama and coming back to the states. Maybe he can help push the sport here.
Heath B.
Fantasy
1148th
9/5/2018 7:10pm
TXDirt wrote:
Follow the $$$$
I believe this track would pull the fans. I know a lot of Ga. riders frequent Monster Mountain. They said they just added a new section to the track, Ive scene pics but not been there. It’s a pretty popular track. I was told Roczen loved it after riding and stated it should definitely be added. That was in 2017.
TXDirt
9/5/2018 7:35pm
TXDirt wrote:
Follow the $$$$
Heath B. wrote:
I believe this track would pull the fans. I know a lot of Ga. riders frequent Monster Mountain. They said they just added a new section...
I believe this track would pull the fans. I know a lot of Ga. riders frequent Monster Mountain. They said they just added a new section to the track, Ive scene pics but not been there. It’s a pretty popular track. I was told Roczen loved it after riding and stated it should definitely be added. That was in 2017.
You missed my point. You gotta pay to play.
bama205
9/5/2018 8:05pm
Barcia used to race monster mountain fairly regularly.
rucka356
9/5/2018 8:07pm
Hey Heath, I used to race with your Uncle Furman when I was up in the Birmingham area in the early/mid-70's. I lived in South Alabama...

I like stopping at the Hardees for breakfast in Florala on my way home from the beach. Best view from any Hardees in America probably
9/5/2018 8:49pm

rucka356 wrote:
I like stopping at the Hardees for breakfast in Florala on my way home from the beach. Best view from any Hardees in America probably
That would be this view. Beautiful Lake Jackson. I could see it from the house I grew up in about a mile from that Hardees.Smile

Heath B.
Fantasy
1148th
9/5/2018 9:15pm
TXDirt wrote:
Follow the $$$$
Heath B. wrote:
I believe this track would pull the fans. I know a lot of Ga. riders frequent Monster Mountain. They said they just added a new section...
TXDirt wrote:
You missed my point. You gotta pay to play.
I got you
9/6/2018 3:50am
MM would have a lot of preparing to do for parking I think. There's room. But they'd have to take all those extra side tracks away and grade them out for parking/pits. There's also only 1 road into the track. It would be a congestion nightmare.
rhargrave431
9/6/2018 4:37am
Isn't the road in and out of monster mountain extremely dangerous? If I remember right, a top amateur and his family died on that road when their motor home brakes went out, maybe 2010-2011??
ga_pike
9/6/2018 6:49am
Isn't the road in and out of monster mountain extremely dangerous? If I remember right, a top amateur and his family died on that road when...
Isn't the road in and out of monster mountain extremely dangerous? If I remember right, a top amateur and his family died on that road when their motor home brakes went out, maybe 2010-2011??
I don't think it's any more dangerous than any other roads to tracks. Honestly, if your brake fail anywhere, it's bad news.

As for the single road in/out, High Point only has 1 real entrance/exit... same with Steel City when it was running. A second road could be put in pretty easy but it would run parallel to the current one. Might help with traffic flow from the east vs west.

The only thing I see is parking. They have the land, but it's covered in trees. While you could swap the trees for cut down service even, the stump removal and land grading would cost a bit of coin. Not to mention permits and approvals. You'd also need to make other improvements, but those would be minor in the grand scheme.
9/6/2018 6:53am
Isn't the road in and out of monster mountain extremely dangerous? If I remember right, a top amateur and his family died on that road when...
It's not dangerous at all. It's just a paved but relatively narrow back country road. Long rigs would have the hardest time getting back there atm. I'm surprised the county isn't figuring how to improve that road because a national there would be huge for the local economy.

9/6/2018 6:56am
MM would have a lot of preparing to do for parking I think. There's room. But they'd have to take all those extra side tracks away...
MM would have a lot of preparing to do for parking I think. There's room. But they'd have to take all those extra side tracks away and grade them out for parking/pits. There's also only 1 road into the track. It would be a congestion nightmare.
The grass track could maybe be removed, but the MXGP track? Hell no. They have SEVMX races there regularly and many prefer practicing that track instead of the big track.
lumpy790
9/6/2018 7:03am
Local Hotels, major airport and track infrastructure are a must
kNewc
9/6/2018 7:05am Edited Date/Time 9/6/2018 7:09am
What pisses me off is that Indiana has a national track and we can never practice there!
clem
9/6/2018 9:20am
lumpy790 wrote:
Freestone sucked for this reason. Not a ton of choices out that way.
One thing that I noticed about Monster Mountain was the amount of deer tracks that we woke up to the next day. That would make riders like Tomac a bit distracted on race day.
Heath B.
Fantasy
1148th
9/6/2018 9:48am
lumpy790 wrote:
Montgomery is near by and has it all
Heath B.
Fantasy
1148th
9/6/2018 9:51am
lumpy790 wrote:
clem wrote:
Freestone sucked for this reason. Not a ton of choices out that way. One thing that I noticed about Monster Mountain was the amount of deer...
Freestone sucked for this reason. Not a ton of choices out that way.
One thing that I noticed about Monster Mountain was the amount of deer tracks that we woke up to the next day. That would make riders like Tomac a bit distracted on race day.
South Alabama is loaded in deer for sure.

Post a reply to: AMA Pro National Tracks

The Latest