Achilles Recovery

Nutter613
Edited Date/Time 5/5/2021 7:36am
I completely tore both Achilles 12 weeks ago coming up short on a triple. I had surgery on both and am now walking and doing PT. My questions are: 1) How long before you are able to ride again (trail or Moto)? 2) Is there any good ankle braces that can be worn in a boot? I was wearing Sidi SR2 when I tore them, but I also have a pair of SG12s.
|
byke
8/6/2020 4:48pm
Holy shit I can't imagine completely tearing both achilles. I did something minor to my left one ten years ago playing b-ball and it still gets cranky every once in a while.
8/6/2020 6:20pm
Just tore my right. Back riding a bicycle outside in 3 months, mountain bike in 4 and Mx just behind that. I pushed it as hard as I could and was walking in a boot in 3 weeks and in a shoe without a lift in 6 so ymmv.

This brace was as good as I could find for actual Achilles stability and being somewhat low profile
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TZTO0TO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asi…
captmoto
8/6/2020 6:51pm
Look for ankle saver pegs on google. I would not count on boots to fully protect you in and over jumped triple scenario. FWIW, I don't do triples.

The Shop

cousinskeet
8/6/2020 7:21pm
I tore mine in 15 casing a triple in brand new sg-12. Took about 9 months after surgery to ride trails and about a year before I was fully cleared for moto, mine snapped and rolled up into my calf. When I got back on my bike I realized one calf was bigger than the other and my balance was off. I also lost a lot in range of motion making shifting while shifting, tore the left one only, very hard. Sometimes I have to lift my entire leg unless I sit further back. To this day I still work on lower leg exercises and a lot of strenching to get back strength and balance. I did pt for about a year before bc/bs decided I've had enough. Lol. As far as boots I now wear tech 10s.
8/6/2020 7:57pm
Ruptured my right playing basketball in my mid 30s. Wasn't into moto then but I believe it was about 6 months before I was walking without pain and swelling. Those things take awhile to heal. Just do your pt and be your own gauge. I would follow previous mentioned advice and add ankle savers when you start riding again and wear premium boots.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
8/6/2020 9:57pm
I tore my right one in half coming up short on a triple, had surgery Aug 5 last year.
After 3 months I was walking very gingerly, after 6 months they released me for most everything. I still really took it easy, only recently getting back on the bike with even a hint of aggression. Still don't have the full range of motion, but it suffices. For reference I'll be 50 in a week.

I was wearing SG10 boots at the time, and I'll be picking up some SIDI Atojo boots soon, as they have stops to help prevent hyper extension in both dorsi and plantar directions. Can't decide if I want the ankle saver pegs.
8/6/2020 11:52pm
Nutter613 wrote:
I completely tore both Achilles 12 weeks ago coming up short on a triple. I had surgery on both and am now walking and doing PT...
I completely tore both Achilles 12 weeks ago coming up short on a triple. I had surgery on both and am now walking and doing PT. My questions are: 1) How long before you are able to ride again (trail or Moto)? 2) Is there any good ankle braces that can be worn in a boot? I was wearing Sidi SR2 when I tore them, but I also have a pair of SG12s.
Hey Nutter. Have a bit of experience here. I'm a physio and a Moto rider. Also do injury updates on my Instagram if you want to see recovery timeframes for some injuries from the pro level. @always.moto

Return to Moto time frame should be about 5months if you had one. Both might be a bit longer. Conservatively say 6.

As for ankle braces. That's not going to help support your Achilles tendons. Your better off initially with maybe some rigid taping or maybe the kinesio taping pending on whose doing it and their technique for the taping job.

Fyi no boot or peg is gonna stop that sort of injury either. Its technique on the bike. Placement of your foot on the peg. And your tendon strength from your off bike training program.

There should / will be lots of eccentric loading exercises in your future rehab and training prep.

Good luck mate.
Nutter613
8/7/2020 6:24am
I tore my right one in half coming up short on a triple, had surgery Aug 5 last year. After 3 months I was walking very...
I tore my right one in half coming up short on a triple, had surgery Aug 5 last year.
After 3 months I was walking very gingerly, after 6 months they released me for most everything. I still really took it easy, only recently getting back on the bike with even a hint of aggression. Still don't have the full range of motion, but it suffices. For reference I'll be 50 in a week.

I was wearing SG10 boots at the time, and I'll be picking up some SIDI Atojo boots soon, as they have stops to help prevent hyper extension in both dorsi and plantar directions. Can't decide if I want the ankle saver pegs.
Matt,
Thanks for the advise. I usually switch between Sidis and SG12s depending on what I am riding. Not sure if one is better. I am still out on if I want the ankle saver pegs too. I hope to get most of my range of motion back, so far it seems to be looking good. BTW I am 48. Guess triples will be double, single!!
Nutter613
8/7/2020 6:28am
Nutter613 wrote:
I completely tore both Achilles 12 weeks ago coming up short on a triple. I had surgery on both and am now walking and doing PT...
alwaysmoto wrote:
Hey Nutter. Have a bit of experience here. I'm a physio and a Moto rider. Also do injury updates on my Instagram if you want to...
Hey Nutter. Have a bit of experience here. I'm a physio and a Moto rider. Also do injury updates on my Instagram if you want to see recovery timeframes for some injuries from the pro level. @always.moto

Return to Moto time frame should be about 5months if you had one. Both might be a bit longer. Conservatively say 6.

As for ankle braces. That's not going to help support your Achilles tendons. Your better off initially with maybe some rigid taping or maybe the kinesio taping pending on whose doing it and their technique for the taping job.

Fyi no boot or peg is gonna stop that sort of injury either. Its technique on the bike. Placement of your foot on the peg. And your tendon strength from your off bike training program.

There should / will be lots of eccentric loading exercises in your future rehab and training prep.

Good luck mate.
Alwaysmoto,
Thanks for the input. I was hoping 6 months based on how things are going currently. Start off on a MTB then move to Moto. I was pretty sure no boot or peg would have prevented injury, if anything the load would have been transferred to another joint or bone.
I will also check your IG for some traditional info.
Thanks again.
DL
8/8/2020 2:21pm
Ruptured my left one completely at Glen Helen 20 years ago. I had it surgically repaired, spent 10 weeks in plaster and made a full recovery. I did spend a lot of time doing physical therapy. I doesn’t bother me today and I’m still riding Moto and mtb. Good luck and do the work when you’re able.
8/9/2020 4:16pm
Nutter613 wrote:
alwaysmoto wrote:
Hey Nutter. Have a bit of experience here. I'm a physio and a Moto rider. Also do injury updates on my Instagram if you want to...

Good luck mate.
Nutter613 wrote:
Alwaysmoto, Thanks for the input. I was hoping 6 months based on how things are going currently. Start off on a MTB then move to Moto...
Alwaysmoto,
Thanks for the input. I was hoping 6 months based on how things are going currently. Start off on a MTB then move to Moto. I was pretty sure no boot or peg would have prevented injury, if anything the load would have been transferred to another joint or bone.
I will also check your IG for some traditional info.
Thanks again.
happy to Help Mate.
Yeah road cycle or stationary cycle initially to reduce crash risk. then MTB and Moto for sure!
DJAKE
8/9/2020 9:08pm
Not the same, but I broke both of my legs (double pilon fractures) just over a year ago. Have plates in them and have very limited range of motion in both ankles. I got back to riding a little over eight months after my accident, probably too soon to be honest. I second the Ankle Saver pegs, I don't think I could ride if I didn't have them. As far as boots go, I only wear Tech 10s because of how stiff and protective they feel.
Team Ideal
8/10/2020 5:02am
I think a lot of it has to do with your age and fitness level. I ruptured my left one in March of 19. had the complete rolled up into my calf thing like someone else mentioned. It took a little longer to get operated on, almost 3 weeks, but it went well.

I still can't do a complete heel raise but I can get it about half way up, I also have a lot of swelling every day. I still do calf workouts and road cycle quite a bit. I was told it varies a lot on recovery and mine seems to be taking forever but then again I'm 52. I started riding at 8 months and it was pretty sketchy. Kinesiology tape definitely seemed to help me. Good luck. It's been the biggest PIA injury I've ever had.
yzvet426
8/10/2020 6:44am
I'm going to the Doc today for mine. It's not torn. I screwed it up a few months back and the pain has been getting worse to the point I can' barely take it. . It's traveled to my heel and arch. The only thing I can see is a ball on the outside of my Achilles that wasn't here before.
ripper298
8/10/2020 4:19pm
Seems like these Fastway pegs would help protect against achilles injuries.

Nutter613
8/11/2020 12:46pm
ripper298 wrote:
Seems like these Fastway pegs would help protect against achilles injuries. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/08/10/443092/s1200_22_5_007_evo_ext_ktm_1_300x300.jpg[/img]
Seems like these Fastway pegs would help protect against achilles injuries.

I have been thinking about them. may just have to go with them to avoid any future issues.
Nutter613
8/11/2020 12:49pm
yzvet426 wrote:
I'm going to the Doc today for mine. It's not torn. I screwed it up a few months back and the pain has been getting worse...
I'm going to the Doc today for mine. It's not torn. I screwed it up a few months back and the pain has been getting worse to the point I can' barely take it. . It's traveled to my heel and arch. The only thing I can see is a ball on the outside of my Achilles that wasn't here before.
Could be that you pulled the brevis tendon out of its groove. I also did that. May need additional surgery in a few months if the ankle does not stabilize. If it is out of the groove it starts to fray and becomes more and more painful.
Good Luck
Nutter613
8/11/2020 12:51pm
Team Ideal wrote:
I think a lot of it has to do with your age and fitness level. I ruptured my left one in March of 19. had the...
I think a lot of it has to do with your age and fitness level. I ruptured my left one in March of 19. had the complete rolled up into my calf thing like someone else mentioned. It took a little longer to get operated on, almost 3 weeks, but it went well.

I still can't do a complete heel raise but I can get it about half way up, I also have a lot of swelling every day. I still do calf workouts and road cycle quite a bit. I was told it varies a lot on recovery and mine seems to be taking forever but then again I'm 52. I started riding at 8 months and it was pretty sketchy. Kinesiology tape definitely seemed to help me. Good luck. It's been the biggest PIA injury I've ever had.
Fitness level is pretty good for me being 48. Went to the Surgeon yesterday an can start riding slowly and MTB as much as tolerable. I am 12 weeks post op and can jog for about 3 minutes, so we will see. I am guessing about another 3 months to feel. about 90%.
Markopolo400
9/19/2020 1:21pm
Just did mine Tuesday overjumping a table top. Had an MRI last night and its completely torn with 2cm of displacement, so I get to meet with a surgeon on Monday to discuss my options.
Nutter613
9/19/2020 1:47pm
Just did mine Tuesday overjumping a table top. Had an MRI last night and its completely torn with 2cm of displacement, so I get to meet...
Just did mine Tuesday overjumping a table top. Had an MRI last night and its completely torn with 2cm of displacement, so I get to meet with a surgeon on Monday to discuss my options.
I am 17 weeks post op and can jump rope and do 12” box jumps. Sometimes don’t even notice it. Could have ridden at 14 weeks but Dr. said to give it another month. Surgery is the best option. I didn’t want to wait and hope it healed and then at 6 weeks realize I needed to get surgery. I do PT once a week and go to the gym about 4 days and bike and do the same PT exercises. Hope it goes well. Just FYI I’m 48 so healing takes a little longer.
Nutter613
9/19/2020 1:48pm
Nutter613 wrote:
I am 17 weeks post op and can jump rope and do 12” box jumps. Sometimes don’t even notice it. Could have ridden at 14 weeks...
I am 17 weeks post op and can jump rope and do 12” box jumps. Sometimes don’t even notice it. Could have ridden at 14 weeks but Dr. said to give it another month. Surgery is the best option. I didn’t want to wait and hope it healed and then at 6 weeks realize I needed to get surgery. I do PT once a week and go to the gym about 4 days and bike and do the same PT exercises. Hope it goes well. Just FYI I’m 48 so healing takes a little longer.
Mine were 2cm on one side and 1.5cm in the other.
Markopolo400
9/20/2020 10:36am
Nutter613 wrote:
Mine were 2cm on one side and 1.5cm in the other.
Damn I can't imagine doing both at once. That had to suck. Thanks for the insight thought! Seems like the common consensus is that surgery is the way to go.
CG118
9/20/2020 1:03pm Edited Date/Time 9/20/2020 1:13pm
The achilles has poor vascularity, primarily mid-portion. You are not young (me either). Be very careful with plyometric type loading so soon. Bad combination of things there, that could compromise the repair.

Time is your friend. Advanced rehab protocols are not.

Ankle-saver type pegs are a great idea.

KT tape won’t do a fucking thing to help you, unless you develop a little tendinosis later.
5/4/2021 7:09am
I just blew up my right Achilles yesterday jumping into a whoop section at Pala. I meet with a surgeon on Thursday. I've pretty much decided I want surgery ASAP. Is there anyone who would not recommend surgery and why?
I'm 40 and in pretty good shape. Also, is there any way to maintain some sort of fitness while incapacitated? Thanks.
JazzyJJ
5/4/2021 12:59pm
I just blew up my right Achilles yesterday jumping into a whoop section at Pala. I meet with a surgeon on Thursday. I've pretty much decided...
I just blew up my right Achilles yesterday jumping into a whoop section at Pala. I meet with a surgeon on Thursday. I've pretty much decided I want surgery ASAP. Is there anyone who would not recommend surgery and why?
I'm 40 and in pretty good shape. Also, is there any way to maintain some sort of fitness while incapacitated? Thanks.
Get the surgery ASAP. While in a cast of boot you can still ride a stationary bicycle and do upper body work. The increase in blood flow from riding a bike on a trainer is a good thing.
Nutter613
5/4/2021 2:20pm
I did mine (both) on a Sunday had Surgery on a Tuesday. If you opt for no surgery then it takes longer to heal and it can not heal correct. Then you need surgery after waiting 6 months for it to heal. I thought by that time if I have surgery that would be time they could be healed. In fact that was the case. I did mine in May and was riding in late October. I also opted to get the Fastway pegs as mental insurance. PT started about 4 weeks post op which starts with light biking and pool walking. At about 10 weeks you should be back to normal exercise but at a slower pace. at 18 weeks no restrictions. I am one year out and no problems or issues. Don't even think about it. BTW I am 49 and a B level rider. mostly Moto.
Good Luck!
d$money20
5/4/2021 2:27pm
Tore mine playing basketball in the Fall, just retore it 3 months ago on a door step- had two surgeries and would recommend the surgery. The surgeon did a PRP shot during the second surgery and this rehab with physical therapy is going super smooth and much better than my rehab in the fall. Good Luck-
5/4/2021 4:25pm
I just blew up my right Achilles yesterday jumping into a whoop section at Pala. I meet with a surgeon on Thursday. I've pretty much decided...
With any surgery there are risks.
Complication could be, tripping over whilst using the crutches on day 2 damaging the achillies repair, then contracting a staff infection at the hospital as they scan the tendon for damage, spending six weeks and six surgeries in hospital to clean the area and repair the tendon, skin graft, 6 months waiting for the big gaping wound to heal.
15 weeks off work, at one stage they said I might lose my lower leg or foot.
Not the norm, but these things can happen.
Markopolo400
5/5/2021 7:36am
Just did mine Tuesday overjumping a table top. Had an MRI last night and its completely torn with 2cm of displacement, so I get to meet...
Update on mine FWIW, today is 32 weeks post op. My injured calf is still much smaller than my other, and still weaker.

If you're active, get it fixed surgically.

My timeline has gone like this (My PT went very conservatively, better chance of getting back to 100% some day).

-6wk non weight bearing on knee scooter
-6wk walking in boot with slowing decreasing heel height (Get a shoe lift for the other side, your hips will thank you)
-4wk walking in shoes 100% of the time with a heel lift in them

At 16wk I was allowed to walk barefoot again. Nothing explosive and no jumping until the 6mo post op mark.

I started PT at 4wk post op and I've done everything he's said to a T. The most important thing is to not stretch the tendon too quickly, its very fragile after it gets fixed.

I did everything I could to maintain fitness, I just did normal lifting at the gym, and did a ton of spin biking. If you google "Crossfit Achilles" a few of the big name athletes have gone through this and they have posted tons of creative videos how to workout while recovering.

I should be back on a moto bike in a week or two (Im waiting on parts now), there's no way around the fact that its a shitty shitty injury and takes a long time to heal. Take your time with recovery and you'll be ok.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

Post a reply to: Achilles Recovery

The Latest