Aftermarket Engine Mount Problems

CivBars
Edited Date/Time 11/14/2019 10:35am
Putting too much stress on the motor? Heard some people are having issues.
|
11/4/2019 3:11pm
Shouldn’t make a difference if they were installed correctly
11/4/2019 3:45pm
If you took strength out the mount, i.e. more flex, shouldn't that put less stress on the engine as a frame strengthening component or brace?
JB 19
11/4/2019 4:22pm
Never heard of her.

The Shop

11/4/2019 4:43pm
Swap Moto's recent video had a...non happy rider from this weekend that had some issues.

I wasn't there and didn't see it so I will not blow anyone else out.
11/4/2019 5:17pm
Swap Moto's recent video had a...non happy rider from this weekend that had some issues. I wasn't there and didn't see it so I will not...
Swap Moto's recent video had a...non happy rider from this weekend that had some issues.

I wasn't there and didn't see it so I will not blow anyone else out.
He also said FCP rushed over and pulled them off of his bike. Not the best look
Cygrace74
11/4/2019 5:36pm
He also said FCP rushed over and pulled them off of his bike. Not the best look
Which video is this?
SoCalMX70
11/4/2019 5:43pm
So, perhaps not enough R&D into these things? Like, maybe the engineers at the manufacturers sorted out the stock ones to be a certain stiffness/strength to accommodate the bikes and ensure reliability?

In all honesty I hope the market for aftermarket mounts flourishes (or continues to do so anyway)... It's a cool concept. They still have to do their homework though!
colvin227
11/4/2019 5:45pm Edited Date/Time 11/4/2019 5:46pm
I've heard nothing but praise from the Works Chassis lab mounts. If anything I would think more stress would be transferred to the frames not the engine since the mounts usually are "softer" and flex more. Even still I would think these "issues" would take years or high hours to actually show on a normal riders bike if at all. I can see it being a feeling maybe some don't like vs an actual structural issue.
rob162
11/4/2019 6:14pm
Im sure the mounts are built fine. Probably just a freak accident that's easily explainable. Im sure they would rush over right away. The mount industry isnt very big so best to minimize the negative exposure.
dancolvin633
Fantasy
2236th
11/4/2019 6:34pm Edited Date/Time 11/4/2019 6:35pm
Love my WCL mounts for all my Kawis. All my buddies have them for Honda’s too, prolly 12 guys and they love them! I know making sure they are torqued properly with a good torque wrench is important and the sequence in which they are torqued is as well.
dancolvin633
Fantasy
2236th
11/4/2019 6:35pm Edited Date/Time 11/4/2019 6:36pm
Keep in mind the FCP and WCL are not the same......
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1205th
11/4/2019 8:33pm
He's saying that the mounts put too much stress on the motor and he had a problem. What the problem actually was wasn't really discussed, so hard to say what's really going on.

In general, if the mounts are "softer" than stock, e.g. more flexy, then they shouldn't put any more stress on the engine than stock. They would likely increase the stress in the frame, though, and in the mounts themselves. Realistically, I doubt that the increased stresses would be worth worrying about one way or another in the frame or in the motor, so long as everything is properly installed. But I could see an engine mount breaking if it were a bad design. Being that these mounts are typically designed to add more flex and that the uppers are aluminum, I could see a fatigue issue occurring if the design isn't well vetted.

Regardless, it's hard to say without knowing the whole story. But this is Vital, so let the speculation begin! Laughing
kb228
11/5/2019 4:47am
Luxon MX wrote:
He's saying that the mounts put too much stress on the motor and he had a problem. What the problem actually was wasn't really discussed, so...
He's saying that the mounts put too much stress on the motor and he had a problem. What the problem actually was wasn't really discussed, so hard to say what's really going on.

In general, if the mounts are "softer" than stock, e.g. more flexy, then they shouldn't put any more stress on the engine than stock. They would likely increase the stress in the frame, though, and in the mounts themselves. Realistically, I doubt that the increased stresses would be worth worrying about one way or another in the frame or in the motor, so long as everything is properly installed. But I could see an engine mount breaking if it were a bad design. Being that these mounts are typically designed to add more flex and that the uppers are aluminum, I could see a fatigue issue occurring if the design isn't well vetted.

Regardless, it's hard to say without knowing the whole story. But this is Vital, so let the speculation begin! Laughing
If they allow more flex then theres more torsion on the motor itself causing it to break.
11/5/2019 5:25am
kb228 wrote:
If they allow more flex then theres more torsion on the motor itself causing it to break.
I’m not an expert in this field but my thoughts are the oppposite way around.

More flex in the mounts = less forces on the motor.
11/5/2019 5:47am Edited Date/Time 11/5/2019 5:48am

But perhaps more deflection in the direction of those forces at the bolt holes, which could be critical. The acting force could also be engine vibration, not chassis flex, in which case, a more flexible mount would increase the dynamic loads on the mounting points.
11/5/2019 6:39am

But perhaps more deflection in the direction of those forces at the bolt holes, which could be critical. The acting force could also be engine vibration...
But perhaps more deflection in the direction of those forces at the bolt holes, which could be critical. The acting force could also be engine vibration, not chassis flex, in which case, a more flexible mount would increase the dynamic loads on the mounting points.
Are you an expert in this field? Or is this hypothesis like me? (honest question)
11/5/2019 6:40am Edited Date/Time 11/5/2019 7:45am

But perhaps more deflection in the direction of those forces at the bolt holes, which could be critical. The acting force could also be engine vibration...
Are you an expert in this field? Or is this hypothesis like me? (honest question)
Completely hypothetical. I have no idea what broke, or if anything did even break.

I am just counterpointing the assertion that more flex means less material stress in a dynamic situation - see the Tacoma narrows bridge as the textbook example. We also know that shear strength for the materials we are talking about (steel/aluminum) is a fraction of tensile strength, so the direction of force on a bolt hole can be just as critical as the amount of force.
Moto520
11/5/2019 7:08am
I personally would leave that shit alone and focus on changes that have a more direct impact on rider feedback. Engine mounts are the CBD of the motocross world (just kidding....i know CBD helps certain issues including sleep/ anxiety)
Markopolo400
11/5/2019 7:17am Edited Date/Time 11/5/2019 7:18am
"Bike let go going up Mt. St Helens"
CivBars
11/5/2019 7:54am
At least now we can rule out the placebo effect. The mounts do make a difference. It just might be detrimental to the bike?
11/5/2019 8:24am
Completely hypothetical. I have no idea what broke, or if anything did even break. I am just counterpointing the assertion that more flex means less material...
Completely hypothetical. I have no idea what broke, or if anything did even break.

I am just counterpointing the assertion that more flex means less material stress in a dynamic situation - see the Tacoma narrows bridge as the textbook example. We also know that shear strength for the materials we are talking about (steel/aluminum) is a fraction of tensile strength, so the direction of force on a bolt hole can be just as critical as the amount of force.
I agree with you on your hypothetical conclusion. "a more flexible mount would increase the dynamic loads on the mounting points."
11/5/2019 8:58am
Moto520 wrote:
I personally would leave that shit alone and focus on changes that have a more direct impact on rider feedback. Engine mounts are the CBD of...
I personally would leave that shit alone and focus on changes that have a more direct impact on rider feedback. Engine mounts are the CBD of the motocross world (just kidding....i know CBD helps certain issues including sleep/ anxiety)
Like a gym membership?!SillyGrinningSillyGrinningTongue
Moto520
11/5/2019 9:35am Edited Date/Time 11/5/2019 9:38am
Moto520 wrote:
I personally would leave that shit alone and focus on changes that have a more direct impact on rider feedback. Engine mounts are the CBD of...
Yeah....and a new tire. I mean....come on....an engine mount? I call bullshit on anyone that feels a MEASUREABLE advantage. Placebo effect? Yes. Sorry guys.
kb228
11/5/2019 10:09am
Moto520 wrote:
Moto520 wrote:
Yeah....and a new tire. I mean....come on....an engine mount? I call bullshit on anyone that feels a MEASUREABLE advantage. Placebo effect? Yes. Sorry guys.
You know good test riders arent told about changes made to the bike and are able to tell the team the difference
aees
11/5/2019 12:13pm
Completely hypothetical. I have no idea what broke, or if anything did even break. I am just counterpointing the assertion that more flex means less material...

I agree with you on your hypothetical conclusion. "a more flexible mount would increase the dynamic loads on the mounting points."
Not only that. rear tire and chain is fixed, aligned. An engine that twists to much is not good for drive train.
11/5/2019 6:11pm
Luxon MX wrote:
He's saying that the mounts put too much stress on the motor and he had a problem. What the problem actually was wasn't really discussed, so...

kb228 wrote:
Im with you on this one.

Post a reply to: Aftermarket Engine Mount Problems

The Latest