Alpinestar Tech 10 opinions

tmayer422
Edited Date/Time 5/6/2020 4:57am
]If anyone knows a Alpinestar rep on this forum tag them cause I’d like to ask them a question or 2. After spending $600 on some boots you would expect them to last longer then 20 hours. I’m about to the point of swapping brands to something else, I’ve always liked Alpinestar boots but if they aren’t going to last no longer then these did then onto another company I go. Both boots the lower shield have worn thru and now have cracks in the actual boot itself.

|
tmayer422
5/4/2020 10:02pm
Do you have grip tape on your frame?
Yes I did, I took it off and put some of the Acerbis frame guards on the bike now hoping that it’ll help them last a little longer.
Motofinne
5/4/2020 10:27pm
I'm sorry but you should expect that if you run grip tape on your frame. There has been some issues with the new Tech 10 but that seems to be on you running grip tape, not the boots fault?
tmayer422
5/4/2020 10:32pm
Motofinne wrote:
I'm sorry but you should expect that if you run grip tape on your frame. There has been some issues with the new Tech 10 but...
I'm sorry but you should expect that if you run grip tape on your frame. There has been some issues with the new Tech 10 but that seems to be on you running grip tape, not the boots fault?
The boots were wearing out before the grip tape was put on the frame. I mean I wasn’t expecting the boots to last a lifetime or anything like that to begin with but I wasn’t thinking that after 20 hours they would be like this either. I ran the grip tape for roughly 10-12 hours before getting the frame guards.

The Shop

Motofinne
5/4/2020 10:42pm
Motofinne wrote:
I'm sorry but you should expect that if you run grip tape on your frame. There has been some issues with the new Tech 10 but...
tmayer422 wrote:
The boots were wearing out before the grip tape was put on the frame. I mean I wasn’t expecting the boots to last a lifetime or...
The boots were wearing out before the grip tape was put on the frame. I mean I wasn’t expecting the boots to last a lifetime or anything like that to begin with but I wasn’t thinking that after 20 hours they would be like this either. I ran the grip tape for roughly 10-12 hours before getting the frame guards.
The wear is still clearly from the grip tape right? They're not designed to last that. Imagine that you have a sandpaper in your hand and keep rubbing your boots for 10-12 hours, do you expect them to last that? I would not expect them to last it.

Maybe some other boot would last a bit longer but i don't think you can expect any boots to survive that rough surface.
tmayer422
5/4/2020 11:10pm
Motofinne wrote:
The wear is still clearly from the grip tape right? They're not designed to last that. Imagine that you have a sandpaper in your hand and...
The wear is still clearly from the grip tape right? They're not designed to last that. Imagine that you have a sandpaper in your hand and keep rubbing your boots for 10-12 hours, do you expect them to last that? I would not expect them to last it.

Maybe some other boot would last a bit longer but i don't think you can expect any boots to survive that rough surface.
No actually the right boot isn’t from the frame at all it’s from the rear master cylinder, and the left boot isn’t exactly from the grip tape either cause it didn’t wrap around the frame and that boot is wearing from where the frame rounds off cause you can ever look at the frame guards and see where they are getting a faded look on them from squeezing with my legs. And yeah I’m sure it is my fault, I guess I just need to look into getting a different brand of boots and hope they last longer!
5/5/2020 1:32am
Thats 100% from running griptape. Theres no way you can argue that, you said yourself youve been running griptape for 10-12 hours. Any boot would look like that after 10-12 hours of use against griptape. 🤦🏼‍♂️
MZ193
5/5/2020 3:48am
No way i'd pay 600$ for a pair of boots that doesn't last more than 80 hours without manutention.
Griptape doesn't trash them like that, if you can go with the return. If not, go for SG12's.
navalseabee
5/5/2020 3:53am
tmayer422 wrote:
]If anyone knows a Alpinestar rep on this forum tag them cause I’d like to ask them a question or 2. After spending $600 on some...
]If anyone knows a Alpinestar rep on this forum tag them cause I’d like to ask them a question or 2. After spending $600 on some boots you would expect them to last longer then 20 hours. I’m about to the point of swapping brands to something else, I’ve always liked Alpinestar boots but if they aren’t going to last no longer then these did then onto another company I go. Both boots the lower shield have worn thru and now have cracks in the actual boot itself.

I don't run grip tape and mine only made it to 50 hours before I've worn through parts of them. Not pleased with the AStars quality and longevity. Im going to be switching brands next set of boots.
crowe176
5/5/2020 4:05am
Why not just take the grip tape off your bike, and put it on your boots??
charlie68
5/5/2020 4:29am
tmayer422 wrote:
]If anyone knows a Alpinestar rep on this forum tag them cause I’d like to ask them a question or 2. After spending $600 on some...

I don't run grip tape and mine only made it to 50 hours before I've worn through parts of them. Not pleased with the AStars quality...
I don't run grip tape and mine only made it to 50 hours before I've worn through parts of them. Not pleased with the AStars quality and longevity. Im going to be switching brands next set of boots.
I understand you guys are saying xxxx hours, but how old are the boots? I understand the latest generation was reworked to improve longevity, in other words were you the coolest kids that got them fresh off the presses or are these the newst of the new?
RCMXracing
5/5/2020 6:06am
charlie68 wrote:
I understand you guys are saying xxxx hours, but how old are the boots? I understand the latest generation was reworked to improve longevity, in other...
I understand you guys are saying xxxx hours, but how old are the boots? I understand the latest generation was reworked to improve longevity, in other words were you the coolest kids that got them fresh off the presses or are these the newst of the new?
For longevity? How so? I thought it was just a change in the bendy part above bottom buckle.

I have the newest of the new and I like the fit and lightness compared to previous design. But they won’t be as durable. The rubber inserts (where OP shows wear thru) are very thin. Also if you look at the OP pic there’s a big black mark on the right boot inside. The old design had a double layer of plastic there. Poor design. That is going to be a problem... will wear through. Had a buddy send his back and they put a big ugly patch there.

In an effort to save weight/cost durability loses out. Seeing the same thing with Jersey’s, Pants, and Gloves from most brands. Kind of irritating considering the cost. Being treated as fools, “hey guys buy this expensive gear, it’s really light weight, so cool!” *lasts 3 months*.
CASH476
5/5/2020 6:22am
Just put a layer of shoe goo over the worn area and you'll be gold 👍
tmayer422
5/5/2020 7:10am
charlie68 wrote:
I understand you guys are saying xxxx hours, but how old are the boots? I understand the latest generation was reworked to improve longevity, in other...
Bought them new from rockymountain back in either December or January so I’ve had them for 6 months tops
crowe176
5/5/2020 7:12am Edited Date/Time 5/5/2020 7:14am
charlie68 wrote:
RCMXracing wrote:
For longevity? How so? I thought it was just a change in the bendy part above bottom buckle. I have the newest of the new and...
For longevity? How so? I thought it was just a change in the bendy part above bottom buckle.

I have the newest of the new and I like the fit and lightness compared to previous design. But they won’t be as durable. The rubber inserts (where OP shows wear thru) are very thin. Also if you look at the OP pic there’s a big black mark on the right boot inside. The old design had a double layer of plastic there. Poor design. That is going to be a problem... will wear through. Had a buddy send his back and they put a big ugly patch there.

In an effort to save weight/cost durability loses out. Seeing the same thing with Jersey’s, Pants, and Gloves from most brands. Kind of irritating considering the cost. Being treated as fools, “hey guys buy this expensive gear, it’s really light weight, so cool!” *lasts 3 months*.
You’re not lying about gear. I have a set of Thor stuff from like 99/00 that has 100’s of hours and still looks new. I have a set of 2 year old O’Neal that looks 30 years old.

It’s all about saving weight..

I just had some new tech 10’s delivered last week and they’re so much lighter than the SG12’s I have, but you can tell they’re not going to last long.. What can you do I guess. Live and learn. Probably go back to Gaerne unless the Tech 10’s are just too good.
ROCKKET
5/5/2020 7:26am
Alpinestar boot quality has really fell off in the last few years in my opinion. Get yourself a pair of SG12's and never look back.
tmayer422
5/5/2020 7:27am
crowe176 wrote:
Why not just take the grip tape off your bike, and put it on your boots??
I’m not running the grip tape at all anymore, haven’t been running it for probably the last 4-5 hours or ride time and the frame guards have seem to slow the wear down for the time being since they cover the rear master cylinder and actually wrap around the frame itself. But like I said in a previous post also the two spots on my boots that are wore isn’t from the grip tape. I had the thinner strips of grip tape that just sat in the middle of the frame. The right boot is from the rear master cylinder and the left boot is from the frame of the bike itself, cause I’ve stood on the bike and looked down to see where both spots were touching on the bike so I could visually see what both boots were rubbing on and it wasn’t the grip tape. I guess the other guys that keep screaming it’s the grip tape didn’t read that post. 🤦🏼‍♂️
tmayer422
5/5/2020 7:33am
ROCKKET wrote:
Alpinestar boot quality has really fell off in the last few years in my opinion. Get yourself a pair of SG12's and never look back.
You ain’t kidding and like crowe176 said they are lighter for sure and the reason I got these was because I bought a set of used tech 10’s before I bought these and really liked how they felt but like I said the first pair was used and I got about 6-8 months out of them so that’s why I bought a new pair and then within 6 months the new pair looks like this! The rest of the boot looks and feels great for the most part but it’s just irritating that you pay that much for something and wears out that quick, is all I’m getting at.
RCMXracing
5/5/2020 7:40am
tmayer422 wrote:
I’m not running the grip tape at all anymore, haven’t been running it for probably the last 4-5 hours or ride time and the frame guards...
I’m not running the grip tape at all anymore, haven’t been running it for probably the last 4-5 hours or ride time and the frame guards have seem to slow the wear down for the time being since they cover the rear master cylinder and actually wrap around the frame itself. But like I said in a previous post also the two spots on my boots that are wore isn’t from the grip tape. I had the thinner strips of grip tape that just sat in the middle of the frame. The right boot is from the rear master cylinder and the left boot is from the frame of the bike itself, cause I’ve stood on the bike and looked down to see where both spots were touching on the bike so I could visually see what both boots were rubbing on and it wasn’t the grip tape. I guess the other guys that keep screaming it’s the grip tape didn’t read that post. 🤦🏼‍♂️
Yeah man you got roasted right out of the chute! Laughing
Your points about the boots are 100 percent valid.

As an aside this is something I don’t like about Vital, some commentators and or “thumb downers” might be industry reps trying to squash a posters valid comments about a product. Probably mostly just dicks, but no doubt some reps lurking.
charlie68
5/5/2020 7:59am
charlie68 wrote:
RCMXracing wrote:
For longevity? How so? I thought it was just a change in the bendy part above bottom buckle. I have the newest of the new and...

Maybe it was just the bendy part of the boot, I read somewhere either on Alpinestars website or their Instagram about making them better after the release of the current model, maybe it was just marketing BS, I dont know.
foreman52
Fantasy
3178th
5/5/2020 8:02am
I have witnessed first hand how quick the new tech 10's wear compared to previous generation models. I have been wearing Astars since 09 and heavily debating switching to SG12's for my next boot after seeing how poor the new ones last and look after a "short" period of riding.
crowe176
5/5/2020 8:07am
Has anyone went back to Tech 8’s? I debated just buying those but really wanted to give the 10’s a shot. Having run through all the Gaerne’s, if the 10’s don’t work out, I might just go back to the 8’s. I can’t remember loving a boot more than my red tech 8’s.
tmayer422
5/5/2020 8:09am
foreman52 wrote:
I have witnessed first hand how quick the new tech 10's wear compared to previous generation models. I have been wearing Astars since 09 and heavily...
I have witnessed first hand how quick the new tech 10's wear compared to previous generation models. I have been wearing Astars since 09 and heavily debating switching to SG12's for my next boot after seeing how poor the new ones last and look after a "short" period of riding.
You got that right! I was thinking maybe it was just how the frame is and what not on my ‘19 crf450r because a buddy of mine had a ‘17 kx450 and it never messed up his boots which are tech 3’s and he sold it and got a ‘19 crf450r and within 4 or 5 rides his right boot was torn in the same spot as mine, but seems like a common thing from what other ppl are saying and not just from riding a Honda.
tmayer422
5/5/2020 8:11am
crowe176 wrote:
Has anyone went back to Tech 8’s? I debated just buying those but really wanted to give the 10’s a shot. Having run through all the...
Has anyone went back to Tech 8’s? I debated just buying those but really wanted to give the 10’s a shot. Having run through all the Gaerne’s, if the 10’s don’t work out, I might just go back to the 8’s. I can’t remember loving a boot more than my red tech 8’s.
Do the 7’s wear out pretty quickly as well?
crowe176
5/5/2020 8:17am
crowe176 wrote:
Has anyone went back to Tech 8’s? I debated just buying those but really wanted to give the 10’s a shot. Having run through all the...
tmayer422 wrote:
Do the 7’s wear out pretty quickly as well?
Not that I’ve heard, but I missed the bootie, which is why i went to the 10.

A lot of guys swear by the 7’s though.
navalseabee
5/5/2020 8:21am
tmayer422 wrote:

I don't run grip tape and mine only made it to 50 hours before I've worn through parts of them. Not pleased with the AStars quality...
charlie68 wrote:
Purchased a year ago 2019 generation
RCMXracing
5/5/2020 8:23am
ROCKKET wrote:
There’s things I like and don’t like about both brands. I like the protection and safety aspects of Astars. The SG12’s are more durable, but get flexy in a short period of time (around the ankle area) and don’t provide the shock dampening of the Astars.

It seems these boot manufacturers are hitting all around the bullseye. So close, but so much room for improvement.

The new Atojo from Sidi might be worth a look. But damn I love the booty of the Tech 10 because it can be washed. Ugh! Drives me nuts, the best of all worlds needs to come together to fix the issues and design the “ultimate boot”.
friday10
5/5/2020 8:31am
Just my experienced opinion, the higher the level of the rider, the faster the boots will wear out, especially with grip tape. The slower guys are not gripping the bike with their legs like the fast guys are.

Post a reply to: Alpinestar Tech 10 opinions

The Latest