Alta -- Try one if you get the chance!

MXVet261
Fantasy
4061st
Edited Date/Time 9/25/2018 7:17pm
I had the opportunity this past weekend to try the Alta MXR and totally loved it. Local Ohio dealer AES brought out two of them to a private riding event and a whole bunch of us Vet riders tried them --- every one of us loved them. Some of the guys were fast vets that always qualify for LL, some of us were decent practice riders, and a few novices. We all loved it.

You get on the bike expecting all this weird stuff but then you start riding and realize it's just like riding any other bike, except no clutch, no shifting, no screwing up in the ruts and stalling the bike, and no engine sound.

One cool moment was one of the faster Vet guys caught me while we were both on the Altas and we were just talking back and forth while dicing on the track. It was really fun!

I could see me having one in the next couple years.
|
mooch
Fantasy
501st
9/24/2018 8:32am
Any feeling of motor braking when letting off throttle or total free wheel?
mikec265
9/24/2018 8:41am
It wouldn't take much to perfect one to your liking. There's a few things I don't like, but I am glad that I bought an MXR. Instead of driving to get race gas all I gotta do is plug it in. I wish I had bought one of these sooner.
loftyair
9/24/2018 8:45am
Interested to see the '19's improvements!

The Shop

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
9/24/2018 8:45am
mooch wrote:
Any feeling of motor braking when letting off throttle or total free wheel?
Yes there is engine braking, with mapping you can really fine tune it. Feels more similar then you’d think.
9/24/2018 9:03am
loftyair wrote:
The 19's are already out, and they are exactly the same as the 18's. Just a 2019 VIN#.
loftyair
9/24/2018 9:08am
loftyair wrote:
The 19's are already out, and they are exactly the same as the 18's. Just a 2019 VIN#.
Well then the next improved model, whatever they stamp it with.
jeffro503
9/24/2018 9:20am
I still haven't had the chance to ride one of these yet. Not to many around here as of yet. Think I've only seen 2 in the last few years. Wonder if anyone has put on CV forks and Traxx shock on one yet? Any other hop ups guys have done?
dimetime
9/24/2018 10:03am
Enough with this stipid shit. There's an e-bike forum on Vital for all you Alta salesmen and marketers to push your kids toys on for a reason. Stop post ebike shit on the regular moto forum.

God damn l feel like l'm being houded at a fucking dealership. How much is Alta paying you guys to fucking spam this shit?
9/24/2018 10:07am
I want the dual sport, but only if I can get it with the MXR suspension from factory.
9/24/2018 10:16am
dimetime wrote:
Enough with this stipid shit. There's an e-bike forum on Vital for all you Alta salesmen and marketers to push your kids toys on for a...
Enough with this stipid shit. There's an e-bike forum on Vital for all you Alta salesmen and marketers to push your kids toys on for a reason. Stop post ebike shit on the regular moto forum.

God damn l feel like l'm being houded at a fucking dealership. How much is Alta paying you guys to fucking spam this shit?
How is it any different than any of the other "I love my bike" or "Post your (enter brand here) 450 reviews" or "Check out my Factory Edition KTM 450!" threads?

I'm not getting paid anything to post my feelings about the Alta Redshift MXR. I do it because I want people to hear my honest opinions about the bike, as a owner and racer of the bike. Every time i'm at the track with the bike, i have a minimum of 10 people come up to me asking me all kinds of questions.

Whether you like it or not, its a great machine and is competitive against gas bikes. Leave your ego at the door and embrace the new (to our sport) technology.
MXVet261
Fantasy
4061st
9/24/2018 10:18am
I never knew there was an E Bike forum here, thanks douchetime for E-nlightening me! Some cool stuff in there! Feel free to move this thread over there....

jeffro503
9/24/2018 10:20am
dimetime wrote:
Enough with this stipid shit. There's an e-bike forum on Vital for all you Alta salesmen and marketers to push your kids toys on for a...

Moto is moto man.....doesn't matter what type of power plant moves that bike. And since you seem to be new to the internet , next time you see a thread you don't want to read......how about don't click on it? Pretty basic concept really.
Doddy
9/24/2018 10:20am
dimetime wrote:

I made a comment about it (more so in a joking manner) being in the wrong section because I actually thought a few times I was in the electric section.

Seems like we are not allowed to comment anything negative either about these things around here. I was curious, now I wish they would go away.
mxrider971
9/24/2018 10:21am
I got a chance to ride one. Cool technology for sure. No clutch and shifting is weird, I didn’t like that. The bike absolutely rips, but I was told the battery only lasts 30 minutes for fast guys on a MX track. The bike felt heavy, but cornered well. I was surprised by the amount of engine braking. It was still fun to ride, but I don’t see myself buying one in the near future.
9/24/2018 10:22am
jeffro503 wrote:
I still haven't had the chance to ride one of these yet. Not to many around here as of yet. Think I've only seen 2 in...
I still haven't had the chance to ride one of these yet. Not to many around here as of yet. Think I've only seen 2 in the last few years. Wonder if anyone has put on CV forks and Traxx shock on one yet? Any other hop ups guys have done?
A bunch of guys have done bars, grips, billet foot pegs, graphics, and some have done front plastic swaps from husky or KTM (stock uses 2009 CRF450 front fender and front number plate). The offroad guys are doing gearing changes and installing left hand rear brake levers and bark busters and things.

A few guys have mounted CV's / Traxx or Ohlins on their bikes. Here's one (not mine):

The KTM front end will swap right over. There are 2 guys that i know of who had swapped over X-Trig triple clamps to run their CV's.
ACBraap
Fantasy
505th
9/24/2018 10:22am
MXVet261 wrote:
I had the opportunity this past weekend to try the Alta MXR and totally loved it. Local Ohio dealer AES brought out two of them to...
I had the opportunity this past weekend to try the Alta MXR and totally loved it. Local Ohio dealer AES brought out two of them to a private riding event and a whole bunch of us Vet riders tried them --- every one of us loved them. Some of the guys were fast vets that always qualify for LL, some of us were decent practice riders, and a few novices. We all loved it.

You get on the bike expecting all this weird stuff but then you start riding and realize it's just like riding any other bike, except no clutch, no shifting, no screwing up in the ruts and stalling the bike, and no engine sound.

One cool moment was one of the faster Vet guys caught me while we were both on the Altas and we were just talking back and forth while dicing on the track. It was really fun!

I see only two reasons to not buy one right now:

1) battery life
2) they are still at the point where tech advancements will happen very quickly

A couple years and 1 will increase, and 2 will slow, and that's when the masses will be moving to them.
ACBraap
Fantasy
505th
9/24/2018 10:26am
jeffro503 wrote:
I still haven't had the chance to ride one of these yet. Not to many around here as of yet. Think I've only seen 2 in...
That surprises me given that Power is an Alta dealer.

With noise having been an issue at the old Salem AX, seems like Alta's would help with that too.
Doddy
9/24/2018 10:28am
dimetime wrote:

jeffro503 wrote:
Moto is moto man.....doesn't matter what type of power plant moves that bike. And since you seem to be new to the internet , next time...
Moto is moto man.....doesn't matter what type of power plant moves that bike. And since you seem to be new to the internet , next time you see a thread you don't want to read......how about don't click on it? Pretty basic concept really.
They have their own section, yet people continue to post in the wrong section. People can't seem to follow the basic forum guidelines/rules and he is the one new to the internet?

Since others can't follow simple forum etiquette, he get's talked down to for pointing it out? Fck logic right?
DYE
9/24/2018 10:30am
MXVet261 wrote:
I had the opportunity this past weekend to try the Alta MXR and totally loved it. Local Ohio dealer AES brought out two of them to...

ACBraap wrote:
I see only two reasons to not buy one right now: 1) battery life 2) they are still at the point where tech advancements will happen...
I see only two reasons to not buy one right now:

1) battery life
2) they are still at the point where tech advancements will happen very quickly

A couple years and 1 will increase, and 2 will slow, and that's when the masses will be moving to them.
This is exactly what I'm waiting on. If they could last a 2hr hare scramble I would buy one today.
9/24/2018 10:41am
Doddy wrote:
They have their own section, yet people continue to post in the wrong section. People can't seem to follow the basic forum guidelines/rules and he is...
They have their own section, yet people continue to post in the wrong section. People can't seem to follow the basic forum guidelines/rules and he is the one new to the internet?

Since others can't follow simple forum etiquette, he get's talked down to for pointing it out? Fck logic right?
I don't agree with it being segregated into a separate section of the forum. Do you feel the same way about 2 strokes and 4 strokes? Should they have their own sections and should we raise our pitchforks when people post in the "wrong" section? That seems more stupid to me.

I understand the segregation in the past since e-bikes were really custom bikes and not really considered competitive in motocross, until now. Alta is manufacturing competitive electric motocross bikes for a reasonable price (all things considered).

This is the "Moto Related" section of the forum, and the Alta certainly classifies as being a competitive motocross bike.
Moto96
9/24/2018 11:05am
mikec265 wrote:
It wouldn't take much to perfect one to your liking. There's a few things I don't like, but I am glad that I bought an MXR...
It wouldn't take much to perfect one to your liking. There's a few things I don't like, but I am glad that I bought an MXR. Instead of driving to get race gas all I gotta do is plug it in. I wish I had bought one of these sooner.
You need race gas? For what? You can twist the race gas thingy on the right for free.
jeffro503
9/24/2018 11:29am
dimetime wrote:

jeffro503 wrote:
Moto is moto man.....doesn't matter what type of power plant moves that bike. And since you seem to be new to the internet , next time...
Doddy wrote:
They have their own section, yet people continue to post in the wrong section. People can't seem to follow the basic forum guidelines/rules and he is...

I think you may want to try and understand the forum " Rules ". The main moto forum is for anything and everything , mostly pertaining to dirtbikes and things to do with dirtbikes. There is no rule that states that if you own an electric bike , you're not allowed to talk about it in the main forum. Just because the motor / engine doesn't run on fuel......the other 90% of the Alta is no different from the bikes that do.

Were you a freakin' hall monitor at school? Sheeesh!!

BR8ES
9/24/2018 1:24pm
I am afraid of trying one because I may actually like it and buy one, thus making me eat crow.
buggz
9/24/2018 1:26pm
jeffro503 wrote:
A bunch of guys have done bars, grips, billet foot pegs, graphics, and some have done front plastic swaps from husky or KTM (stock uses 2009...
A bunch of guys have done bars, grips, billet foot pegs, graphics, and some have done front plastic swaps from husky or KTM (stock uses 2009 CRF450 front fender and front number plate). The offroad guys are doing gearing changes and installing left hand rear brake levers and bark busters and things.

A few guys have mounted CV's / Traxx or Ohlins on their bikes. Here's one (not mine):

The KTM front end will swap right over. There are 2 guys that i know of who had swapped over X-Trig triple clamps to run their CV's.
I have a question regarding the front fender, will a KTM fender bolt right up or do you need to run KTM front set up ( forks,clams,wheels, etc,etc) to make it work.

Thank you
sandman768
9/24/2018 1:37pm
I"m ready to buy a new Bike soon.... I have to try one of these before a I make a purchase....are they MX sports legal for LLynns?
9/24/2018 1:42pm
buggz wrote:
I have a question regarding the front fender, will a KTM fender bolt right up or do you need to run KTM front set up (...
I have a question regarding the front fender, will a KTM fender bolt right up or do you need to run KTM front set up ( forks,clams,wheels, etc,etc) to make it work.

Thank you
If you swap over KTM triple clamps, the rest of the ktm stuff will bolt right on.

If you dont, Its not a direct bolt on. The fender will need the bottom holes slightly modified and you'll need to drill and tap two new top holes in the lower triple clamp.

Here's a guy that installed the husky front fender and plate on his Alta:

huck
9/24/2018 2:01pm
dimetime wrote:

jeffro503 wrote:
Doddy wrote:

You and that other douche (dimetime) seem like a lot of fun to hang out with...

crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
9/24/2018 2:15pm
dimetime wrote:

jeffro503 wrote:
Doddy wrote:

It's Moto-Related
Not combustion engine moto related

Post a reply to: Alta -- Try one if you get the chance!

The Latest