Alternative to RockymountainATV.com??

Edited Date/Time 1/23/2019 9:51am
This is really not intended to be a bash RockymountainATV thread. I love everything about the company except for one important problem. They can no longer delivery reliably to my part of Northern California. This has been a consistent problem for 18 to 24 months. In a great situation it takes 4 days (when website says 2), but my average is generally more in the 7 to 10 day range, sometimes 20 days depending on how many times their shipper loses the package. I keep ordering from them because they are inexpensive, have great selection and they keep telling me the package will arrive in 2 days (I admit I am a sucker). They choose to ship with a company that is total garbage. That is their choice. My choice is not to shop them if they cannot deliver the merchandise.

However, I am concerned there are not many other good options out there. I am mostly spending money on Yamaha, KTM and Suzuki 2 strokes (lots of kids). A place with a large selection, reasonable prices and can actually get the packages to my house in a timely manner (opinion of folks out West would be great since I know there are different regional shippers that have varying degrees of suckiness).

Thoughts?

Thanks!
|
usafwx
1/21/2019 9:12pm
BTO is in your neck of the woods and a supporter of the sport.
DTR830
Fantasy
1057th
1/21/2019 9:18pm
This is really not intended to be a bash RockymountainATV thread. I love everything about the company except for one important problem. They can no longer...
This is really not intended to be a bash RockymountainATV thread. I love everything about the company except for one important problem. They can no longer delivery reliably to my part of Northern California. This has been a consistent problem for 18 to 24 months. In a great situation it takes 4 days (when website says 2), but my average is generally more in the 7 to 10 day range, sometimes 20 days depending on how many times their shipper loses the package. I keep ordering from them because they are inexpensive, have great selection and they keep telling me the package will arrive in 2 days (I admit I am a sucker). They choose to ship with a company that is total garbage. That is their choice. My choice is not to shop them if they cannot deliver the merchandise.

However, I am concerned there are not many other good options out there. I am mostly spending money on Yamaha, KTM and Suzuki 2 strokes (lots of kids). A place with a large selection, reasonable prices and can actually get the packages to my house in a timely manner (opinion of folks out West would be great since I know there are different regional shippers that have varying degrees of suckiness).

Thoughts?

Thanks!
If you selected 2 day or Overnight is it still the same carrier?
mark_swart
1/21/2019 9:22pm
This sounds like a shipper problem.

I'll tell you this -- I used to order from Motosport because they are based in Oregon, but half the time when I order stuff from them now it comes from VA. So to get to me in Washington Rocky Mountain is usually quick.

You could pay more and go through Chaparral, but the prices are definitely higher.
nick610s
1/21/2019 9:29pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2019 9:30pm
I would call Rocky Mountain as soon as you place your order and ask them to use another carrier besides ONTRAC. Which is the one I’m sure they are using and ask them to use a different one. If you order a lot they can look at your history and decide if they want to keep you as a customer. Just my $.02.

I don’t know how far up in northern ca you are but I haven’t had much issue with them but I know many who have.

The Shop

SoCalMX70
1/21/2019 9:31pm
Call RMATV and they'll fix the issue...
1/21/2019 9:35pm
nick610s wrote:
I would call Rocky Mountain as soon as you place your order and ask them to use another carrier besides ONTRAC. Which is the one I’m...
I would call Rocky Mountain as soon as you place your order and ask them to use another carrier besides ONTRAC. Which is the one I’m sure they are using and ask them to use a different one. If you order a lot they can look at your history and decide if they want to keep you as a customer. Just my $.02.

I don’t know how far up in northern ca you are but I haven’t had much issue with them but I know many who have.
Just 45 minutes up the road near Butte College. I had spoken with a supervisor 3 or 4 months ago about permanently moving me to Fedex, which they said they would, but that only seemed to last for 1 or 2 deliveries before they relapsed and I got pushed back to Ontrac. I feel kind of silly complaining about this, definitely a "first world" problem as they say... Wink
SweetDaddy
1/22/2019 5:54am
I just ordered from Dennis Kirk in MN and they did not charge sales tx - saved me 10 clams
Wade221
1/22/2019 5:57am
nick610s wrote:
I would call Rocky Mountain as soon as you place your order and ask them to use another carrier besides ONTRAC. Which is the one I’m...

Just 45 minutes up the road near Butte College. I had spoken with a supervisor 3 or 4 months ago about permanently moving me to Fedex...
Just 45 minutes up the road near Butte College. I had spoken with a supervisor 3 or 4 months ago about permanently moving me to Fedex, which they said they would, but that only seemed to last for 1 or 2 deliveries before they relapsed and I got pushed back to Ontrac. I feel kind of silly complaining about this, definitely a "first world" problem as they say... Wink
My Ontrac service was bad up until about 4-5 months ago, and now they are pretty reliable and I don’t have play “hide and seek” for my package at all hours of the night on my porch
nick610s
1/22/2019 6:49am
nick610s wrote:

Just 45 minutes up the road near Butte College. I had spoken with a supervisor 3 or 4 months ago about permanently moving me to Fedex...
Yeah well they promise two day delivery for $75 and above so if you are not getting that service than I think you have a legitimate complaint.
kb228
1/22/2019 7:10am
I would think RM would fix it. They cant have 3-5 days shipping stated and not deliver that promise. They need to switch to fedex, ups, or usps.

Motosport, revzilla, bto sports, chapperal, etc are alternatives but arent quite as good as RM.
1/22/2019 7:46am
kb228 wrote:
I would think RM would fix it. They cant have 3-5 days shipping stated and not deliver that promise. They need to switch to fedex, ups...
I would think RM would fix it. They cant have 3-5 days shipping stated and not deliver that promise. They need to switch to fedex, ups, or usps.

Motosport, revzilla, bto sports, chapperal, etc are alternatives but arent quite as good as RM.
Customer service at RM has been hit and miss for me unfortunately. They did reship a package one time overnight. Another time they kept insisting it had been delivered and I would need to take it up with the Sheriffs office. Confident Ontrac screwed it up again (as opposed to the package being stolen) I pushed back on that. I found out 3 weeks later they delivered to my neighbor (who had set it aside and forgotten to bring it over).
Moto520
1/22/2019 8:16am
Motosport.com. I love these guys because they have never let me down with delivery. It's the first day that you place the order that makes all the difference. If they get it out the day of the order.....they are good.
Gilby122
1/22/2019 10:27am
Ride365 has done a solid job for me. He’s been able to get me things rocky can’t at times and has personally called me if there was a problem. Even upgraded a chain and sprocket he ended up not having and didnt charge the difference. I use them and rmatv for everything.
1/22/2019 11:33am
RM had previously shipped my stuff via FedEx. Would come the next day by noon. My last package was USPS and it took 4 days....

Both come from Lexington, Both go to Louisville hub, both go to Evansville for delivery.. Makes no sense why one takes 3 days longer.
sam hain
1/22/2019 11:58am
RM had previously shipped my stuff via FedEx. Would come the next day by noon. My last package was USPS and it took 4 days.... Both...
RM had previously shipped my stuff via FedEx. Would come the next day by noon. My last package was USPS and it took 4 days....

Both come from Lexington, Both go to Louisville hub, both go to Evansville for delivery.. Makes no sense why one takes 3 days longer.
I posted this in another RM topic, but when you order something add a chemical of some sort (chain lube, pre-mix etc). This forces RM to ship FedEx, USPS won't deliver chemicals. I'm in TN and use that "little trick" a lot to get my stuff next day.
Premix
1/22/2019 1:03pm
I just had my first delivery issue with Rocky Mountain for the first time since 2005. Package was missing a few items, called them and they are resending the missing items no questions asked.

I’m bummed out legislation forces them to charge sales tax now, but my local dealer closed down and the last one I went into didn’t know a pilot jet from a main jet.

Premix
1/22/2019 1:04pm
sam hain wrote:
I posted this in another RM topic, but when you order something add a chemical of some sort (chain lube, pre-mix etc). This forces RM to...
I posted this in another RM topic, but when you order something add a chemical of some sort (chain lube, pre-mix etc). This forces RM to ship FedEx, USPS won't deliver chemicals. I'm in TN and use that "little trick" a lot to get my stuff next day.
Bingo. Smart man. I always throw some SC1 or Premix on my orders
1/22/2019 2:02pm
sam hain wrote:
I posted this in another RM topic, but when you order something add a chemical of some sort (chain lube, pre-mix etc). This forces RM to...
bernnet
1/22/2019 9:40pm
Motosport and bikebandit are both great for parts and accessories.
50dippin
1/22/2019 9:58pm
I'm in socal and I usually get orders from BTOsports the next day. They also have a customer discount similar to rockymountain when you check out. Now that we have to pay tax on out of state orders it really levels the playing field.
1/22/2019 10:05pm
Thanks for all the tips, I will have to check out some of these sites. Have not shopped anywhere else besides RM in 10 years (or occasionally from local dealer). If I order from RM again I will definitely throw some chemicals in the order. I can always use more 2 stroke oil!
Freakazoid
1/23/2019 7:39am
Motosport dot com

I live in NorCal and have had many problems with OnTrac, and also stopped ordering from Rocky Mountain because of it. I will only order from them now if they are saving my a big chunk of change, because that’s what it takes for me to risk OnTrac problems. OnTrac is getting better though, hopefully in a few years they move from messing up 1/3 of my shipments, to none of them..
Hudd_421
1/23/2019 9:51am
Motosport for everything. Cheaper than RM typically,and have really good deals on OEM and tires. Plus they sponsor and invest alot in the local NW scene.

Post a reply to: Alternative to RockymountainATV.com??

The Latest