Another perspective

cwtoyota
Edited Date/Time 4/22/2013 4:23pm
After the race on Saturday night, I was waiting at the Seattle ferry terminal with my group of friends. There was a huge crowd of people who had walked down from the stadium in there. Just in front of us, some people were talking about the "show". They were all agreeing that Redbull X-Fighters is a better "show" than Supercross.

A couple of my friends heard them too, we just looked at eachother like WTF? We all own bikes and love racing. Obviously those people were part of that "monster truck crowd". It's interesting to hear the other perspective, even if I can't make sense of it.

I started to think about how bad our sport is for spectating from a seat in a stadium. Unfortunately, even my friends who race don't know very many riders. They don't know the numbers of those riders, and they pretty much just watched Ryan Villopoto and Justin Barcia in the 450 main. They scarcely know a 250 rider at all, but they could probably name the entire Seahawks roster. Meanwhile, I'm watching Dungey carve through the pack on his way to a top 5 finish and telling them that he had the best ride of the night due to the solid work he put in on a sketchy track.

The lap time board flashes by so quickly and then spends about 30-40 seconds on a rider's face, name and number... but the only riders they show are the front runners like Barcia and Villopoto, the guys who everyone knows.

I'm not proposing any solutions here... just saying it would be almost impossible to really follow a live race unless you're pretty much a super fan.
|
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
4/22/2013 11:21am
It's the difference between knowing and loving racing and enjoying a spectacle. If we're talking about making something a spectacle that doesn't demand a lot of background and delivers every time, in reality X Fighters (or bull riding or whatever) is a better show and one that can deliver more consistently. That's probably just a simple marketing fact.

Most of us who love racing have a lot of time and background built into our enthusiasm.
cwtoyota
4/22/2013 11:24am
It's the difference between knowing and loving racing and enjoying a spectacle. If we're talking about making something a spectacle that doesn't demand a lot of...
It's the difference between knowing and loving racing and enjoying a spectacle. If we're talking about making something a spectacle that doesn't demand a lot of background and delivers every time, in reality X Fighters (or bull riding or whatever) is a better show and one that can deliver more consistently. That's probably just a simple marketing fact.

Most of us who love racing have a lot of time and background built into our enthusiasm.
Yeah, that's pretty much it. Monster trucks are a spectacle for sure.

Ivars? I'm not really into seafood.
Titan1
4/22/2013 1:00pm
As long as Feld is the promoter of SX....it will be a show. Shows are what Feld does...Monster Trucks, and Circus and Supercross....Sad but true!

The Shop

4/22/2013 2:15pm Edited Date/Time 4/22/2013 2:17pm
cwtoyota wrote:
After the race on Saturday night, I was waiting at the Seattle ferry terminal with my group of friends. There was a huge crowd of people...
After the race on Saturday night, I was waiting at the Seattle ferry terminal with my group of friends. There was a huge crowd of people who had walked down from the stadium in there. Just in front of us, some people were talking about the "show". They were all agreeing that Redbull X-Fighters is a better "show" than Supercross.

A couple of my friends heard them too, we just looked at eachother like WTF? We all own bikes and love racing. Obviously those people were part of that "monster truck crowd". It's interesting to hear the other perspective, even if I can't make sense of it.

I started to think about how bad our sport is for spectating from a seat in a stadium. Unfortunately, even my friends who race don't know very many riders. They don't know the numbers of those riders, and they pretty much just watched Ryan Villopoto and Justin Barcia in the 450 main. They scarcely know a 250 rider at all, but they could probably name the entire Seahawks roster. Meanwhile, I'm watching Dungey carve through the pack on his way to a top 5 finish and telling them that he had the best ride of the night due to the solid work he put in on a sketchy track.

The lap time board flashes by so quickly and then spends about 30-40 seconds on a rider's face, name and number... but the only riders they show are the front runners like Barcia and Villopoto, the guys who everyone knows.

I'm not proposing any solutions here... just saying it would be almost impossible to really follow a live race unless you're pretty much a super fan.
I think that the Promotors/organizers of Supercross are, regretfully, looking at the sport only in the short term. At this point they are putting people in the stands and they are making money. I doubt that they are looking seriously at the long term health of the sport.The truth is, many of the fans don't really have a clue what is really going on out there, or the drama when a rider has problems of some kind and is moving forward. They are only paying attention to the leaders. I get very frustrated, myself, of the lack of imagination of the producers of the TV coverage. They are a bunch of inept morons and do a very poor job of focusing on the right riders.

Now I don't pretend to have the answers. I think that they need to put some emphasis on some other kind of connection between the riders and the spectators. Perhaps a good message board drawing attention to the different riders that are doing something special. This would take a person on the keyboard that understands the sport.

I'm just rambling so cut me slack!
Zaugg
4/22/2013 3:29pm
Not to stick up for Feld but 7 years is hardly short term.

Racing should be a show...it should cater to the loyalist and the casual fan. Could they do a better job? Sure. Do you enjoy yourself at the race? I know I do. What's the problem then?

More fans = more exposure = more money in the sport.

Hey if some of those Monster Truck fans want to get into MX...that's awesome. (and it will give you one more thing to complain about so that should keep you happy)
4/22/2013 4:23pm
Zaugg wrote:
Not to stick up for Feld but 7 years is hardly short term. Racing should be a show...it should cater to the loyalist and the casual...
Not to stick up for Feld but 7 years is hardly short term.

Racing should be a show...it should cater to the loyalist and the casual fan. Could they do a better job? Sure. Do you enjoy yourself at the race? I know I do. What's the problem then?

More fans = more exposure = more money in the sport.

Hey if some of those Monster Truck fans want to get into MX...that's awesome. (and it will give you one more thing to complain about so that should keep you happy)
Hey Zaugg, I know it's risky business tangling with an administrator, But you totally missed my point ( you referred to my "short term" comment) I am not , in any way, complaining about the sport. It is HUUGE at this time. I am afraid, however, that they are not looking to the future, and the further development of their fan base. And, actually, 7 years is short term. I've been around this sport for 50 years, and M'boy.....That's long term

Post a reply to: Another perspective

The Latest