Another snapt KTM frame

kkawboy14
12/4/2017 3:58pm Edited Date/Time 12/4/2017 3:59pm
Not many blown out KX frames around!
Cygrace74
12/4/2017 4:05pm
Have ordered three frames for customers this year, it's a KTM when you buy it you know it's a possibility. What's the big deal
Lucifa.
12/4/2017 4:13pm
144rider wrote:
I wouldn't buy a KTM because IMO they are built to last one season of racing. No chance in hell I'd buy a 2nd hand KTM...
I wouldn't buy a KTM because IMO they are built to last one season of racing. No chance in hell I'd buy a 2nd hand KTM. They're right on the limit IMO, but where do they go from here. I can't see people being happy if the bikes gain weight in the future.
Better call up KTM and let them know bro. They maybe unaware of this.
kkawboy14
12/4/2017 4:30pm Edited Date/Time 12/4/2017 4:31pm
Cygrace74 wrote:
Have ordered three frames for customers this year, it's a KTM when you buy it you know it's a possibility. What's the big deal
No big deal.....unless it blows out on a 4th gear big landing

The Shop

malachi177
12/4/2017 4:32pm
144rider wrote:
I wouldn't buy a KTM because IMO they are built to last one season of racing. No chance in hell I'd buy a 2nd hand KTM...
I wouldn't buy a KTM because IMO they are built to last one season of racing. No chance in hell I'd buy a 2nd hand KTM. They're right on the limit IMO, but where do they go from here. I can't see people being happy if the bikes gain weight in the future.
Bingo!!! That's KTM.

kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
12/4/2017 5:02pm
mx317 wrote:
Find something original
Jmicmoto13 wrote:
I can appreciate Peely’s original humor coming from a different source. Thanks crf250pilot.
144rider wrote:
You need to get out more.
X2.
RCMXracing
12/4/2017 6:32pm
144rider wrote:
One season of racing. Lol. You don’t know shit! Props for troll effort. Here’s where they go: lose another 3 lbs and continue to provide works level machines to the consumer. How bout that? Take any machine beyond its design limit or improper or lack of maintenance and it will fail, eventually.
Indy mxer
12/4/2017 6:58pm
144rider wrote:
RCMXracing wrote:
One season of racing. Lol. You don’t know shit! Props for troll effort. Here’s where they go: lose another 3 lbs and continue to provide works...
One season of racing. Lol. You don’t know shit! Props for troll effort. Here’s where they go: lose another 3 lbs and continue to provide works level machines to the consumer. How bout that? Take any machine beyond its design limit or improper or lack of maintenance and it will fail, eventually.
Not trying to argue but 144 isn't totally off base on this.

I've heard that from some KTM owners that put a lot of hours on their bikes. That could be the reason they've had to replace so many transmissions. Lighter but not as durable. Same with the frames?

That said, they still make cutting edge, killer bikes.

Even though I ride a 16 Kawi 450 for my primary bike, I bought a used 16 KTM 125sx to play around on.
Very cool and fun bike.

BTW, a question for KTM owners. Where should I look for cracks in the frame? Thanks in advance.
144rider
12/4/2017 7:00pm Edited Date/Time 12/4/2017 7:03pm
144rider wrote:
RCMXracing wrote:
One season of racing. Lol. You don’t know shit! Props for troll effort. Here’s where they go: lose another 3 lbs and continue to provide works...
Can't say I've ever had to do a lot of maintenace around the head stem area of any of my bikes.
Also seems it's pretty common for the KTM frames to snap in that area.

I'm all for less weight, but not at the cost of structural integrity and reliability.
NorCal 50+
12/4/2017 7:33pm
Watching Seth Enslow jump a motorcycle literally makes me nauseous. There is jumping, and then there are suicide attempts.
H4L
12/4/2017 7:46pm
H4L wrote:
It's been happening as far back as I could remember in 2003.

https://youtu.be/Mxe4z38SSaI?t=1091
Define regulary, how many frame snaps of the amount leaving the factories? It is a problem they need to fix but dont make it sound like...
Define regulary, how many frame snaps of the amount leaving the factories? It is a problem they need to fix but dont make it sound like it is 4 out of 5. I remember the old 96 honda cr 80 snapped on my cousing back in the 90s, i mean its nothing one brand specific. BUT ofc it is a bad deal and needs to be fixed. Plenty of Yamahas have cracked through the years. https://motocrossactionmag.com/ask-the-mxperts-my-yamahas-aluminum-fram…
I believe your asking the wrong person. My comment was "It's been happening as far back as I could remember in 2003."
Didn't say anything about regulary. BTW you spelled it wrong it's regularly.
RCMXracing
12/4/2017 8:49pm
144rider wrote:
Can't say I've ever had to do a lot of maintenace around the head stem area of any of my bikes. Also seems it's pretty common...
Can't say I've ever had to do a lot of maintenace around the head stem area of any of my bikes.

I'm all for less weight, but not at the cost of structural integrity and reliability.
You are making a lot of assumptions here. Your assumption is because KTM’s are lighter the frame is a weak component. Weight is shaved all over the bike, engine being one place, forks, etc. I saw a Honda rider flat land a BIG jump and his front wheel exploded. Was it a lightweight wheel? No, just a regular Honda wheel. Bike was pushed passed its limits. I personally can’t tell you how much abuse a frame on any bike can take, but a few pictures of any brand bike doesn’t make me think that “light weight” made the frame break. I think rider error, low quality material, or bad welds.
144rider
12/4/2017 9:08pm Edited Date/Time 12/4/2017 9:35pm
144rider wrote:
Can't say I've ever had to do a lot of maintenace around the head stem area of any of my bikes. Also seems it's pretty common...

RCMXracing wrote:
You are making a lot of assumptions here. Your assumption is because KTM’s are lighter the frame is a weak component. Weight is shaved all over...
You are making a lot of assumptions here. Your assumption is because KTM’s are lighter the frame is a weak component. Weight is shaved all over the bike, engine being one place, forks, etc. I saw a Honda rider flat land a BIG jump and his front wheel exploded. Was it a lightweight wheel? No, just a regular Honda wheel. Bike was pushed passed its limits. I personally can’t tell you how much abuse a frame on any bike can take, but a few pictures of any brand bike doesn’t make me think that “light weight” made the frame break. I think rider error, low quality material, or bad welds.
I'm not making assumptions. Haven't you read all the posts in this thread? Judging from what I've seen, the frame is a weak poiint, I don't think there's much doubt about that. Chances are, it'd be because they're making them lighter. Seems kinda logical to me.

As I said, built to race and last for one season. Which is fair enough really, they are sold as a race bike after all. Problem is, you need to be able to sell it after that season, plus not everyone can afford to replace their bike each season, especially if they aren't getting good resale value for their previous bike. No chance in hell I'd buy a 2nd hand Kato if it'd been raced for a full season. That's called tempting fate. It's unlikely I'm the only person thinking like this.
There'd also be more frame flex after a good season of racing, the frames will go "soft".
I took one look at a mates 2017 model frame cradle and came to that conclusion. Then I saw the one Sandblaster cut up.
Brave man putting a KX 500 engine into a new model KTM frame IMO. There's also a reason KTM put a counter balancer in their 300cc vibrators.

So, you think they use low quality material and have bad welds? If it's not the light weight, I guess it'd have to be There's another reason not to buy one. Your words!
Rider error? I expect to break in a crash or hard landing before my bike. The assumption I do make is that, the bike can handle a rider error.

I'd consider a stock Honda wheel to be a lightweight wheel. Any other option weighs more. How many pro's use stock Honda wheels? Not many. They might explode.
And you think I don't know shit.
ob
12/4/2017 9:09pm
I'm so worried I hope I don't die
Tonynz
12/4/2017 9:30pm
Owned KTM’s for 20 years I’m still alive.
144rider
12/4/2017 9:58pm
Tonynz wrote:
The riders seem to hold up fine, it's the frames that break Tongue
Tonynz
12/4/2017 10:06pm
Tonynz wrote:
144rider wrote:
The riders seem to hold up fine, it's the frames that break Tongue
Just to show my age I have had 2 frames that have broken, 1980 Yamaha IT 175 when it was a year old. and a RM 400 that I used for classic racing about 15 years ago.
RCMXracing
12/4/2017 10:15pm
144rider wrote:

RCMXracing wrote:
You are making a lot of assumptions here. Your assumption is because KTM’s are lighter the frame is a weak component. Weight is shaved all over...
144rider wrote:
I'm not making assumptions. Haven't you read all the posts in this thread? Judging from what I've seen, the frame is a weak poiint, I don't...
I'm not making assumptions. Haven't you read all the posts in this thread? Judging from what I've seen, the frame is a weak poiint, I don't think there's much doubt about that. Chances are, it'd be because they're making them lighter. Seems kinda logical to me.

As I said, built to race and last for one season. Which is fair enough really, they are sold as a race bike after all. Problem is, you need to be able to sell it after that season, plus not everyone can afford to replace their bike each season, especially if they aren't getting good resale value for their previous bike. No chance in hell I'd buy a 2nd hand Kato if it'd been raced for a full season. That's called tempting fate. It's unlikely I'm the only person thinking like this.
There'd also be more frame flex after a good season of racing, the frames will go "soft".
I took one look at a mates 2017 model frame cradle and came to that conclusion. Then I saw the one Sandblaster cut up.
Brave man putting a KX 500 engine into a new model KTM frame IMO. There's also a reason KTM put a counter balancer in their 300cc vibrators.

So, you think they use low quality material and have bad welds? If it's not the light weight, I guess it'd have to be There's another reason not to buy one. Your words!
Rider error? I expect to break in a crash or hard landing before my bike. The assumption I do make is that, the bike can handle a rider error.

I'd consider a stock Honda wheel to be a lightweight wheel. Any other option weighs more. How many pro's use stock Honda wheels? Not many. They might explode.
And you think I don't know shit.
I’ve had nearly every brand of dirt bike and they’ve all held up great, even my RMZ. I don’t see factory pros breaking frames, usually some dumb ass going big with soft suspension. Rider error. As far as welds there have been some Yamaha frames that are cracked along the welds. Threads on Vital about this. Yamaha I’m sure got to the bottom of the issue. My entire point is you can’t equate light weight with weakness. It’s not that simple. Take a look at a fighter jet, or aircraft components in general. The design, the materials, and the manufacturing process all determine strength and reliability. There are two things on the KTM that are sub par: Thin inner tubes and the ‘16 bar mount. Also there was a front spoke issue on ‘16 that they corrected. This whole idea that a KTM is a “one season bike” is simply untrue. You seemed convinced with your beliefs based on whatever propaganda and biases you have and that’s fine. I’m not brand loyal. I haven’t seen any “junk” bikes since the production rule in ‘86.
VRR7
12/4/2017 10:27pm
Of all the manufacturers running pro SX the KTM teams swop out their frames more frequently than the other brands racing. That is just a statistical fact.
144rider
12/4/2017 10:28pm Edited Date/Time 12/4/2017 10:34pm
RCMXracing wrote:
I’ve had nearly every brand of dirt bike and they’ve all held up great, even my RMZ. I don’t see factory pros breaking frames, usually some...
I’ve had nearly every brand of dirt bike and they’ve all held up great, even my RMZ. I don’t see factory pros breaking frames, usually some dumb ass going big with soft suspension. Rider error. As far as welds there have been some Yamaha frames that are cracked along the welds. Threads on Vital about this. Yamaha I’m sure got to the bottom of the issue. My entire point is you can’t equate light weight with weakness. It’s not that simple. Take a look at a fighter jet, or aircraft components in general. The design, the materials, and the manufacturing process all determine strength and reliability. There are two things on the KTM that are sub par: Thin inner tubes and the ‘16 bar mount. Also there was a front spoke issue on ‘16 that they corrected. This whole idea that a KTM is a “one season bike” is simply untrue. You seemed convinced with your beliefs based on whatever propaganda and biases you have and that’s fine. I’m not brand loyal. I haven’t seen any “junk” bikes since the production rule in ‘86.
You must have missed this.

I've owned plenty of KTM's. We've been riding them a lot longer in Aus. You lot over there were a bit late on the pick up. No biass from me. Just the way I see it. And only formed that opinion this year after taking a good look at a mates 17 300XC.
BobPA
12/5/2017 2:29am
RCMXracing wrote:
I’ve had nearly every brand of dirt bike and they’ve all held up great, even my RMZ. I don’t see factory pros breaking frames, usually some...
144rider wrote:
You must have missed this. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/12/04/229530/s1200_13325549_1020953157951976_6573972232735407161_n.jpg[/img] I've owned plenty of KTM's. We've been riding them a lot longer in Aus. You lot over there were a...
You must have missed this.

I've owned plenty of KTM's. We've been riding them a lot longer in Aus. You lot over there were a bit late on the pick up. No biass from me. Just the way I see it. And only formed that opinion this year after taking a good look at a mates 17 300XC.
Mr. KTM must have banged your girlfriend. I have not seen any broken KTM's around here. The only bikes that I have personally seen a broken frame was a few Yamaha's. Your assumption of KTM's wearing out in a year is hilarious. 6 of my riding friends have jumped ship to the Austrian side this year, 4 of them because they test rode my bike. All of them love their bikes. Mine still feels like a brand new machine. My old Kawi's are feeling a bit long in the tooth...you still have to premix the fuel in them Whistling
arvid
12/5/2017 2:44am
Rhino wrote:
Triple clamps ( TAG METALS ) if i remember correctly..
Acidreamer
12/5/2017 3:16am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Not many blown out KX frames around!
Thats because kawasaki knows how to build dirtbikes!
lumpy790
12/5/2017 3:45am
I am wonder if the suspension was set up to soft and it transmits to the frame?
Crush
12/5/2017 4:51am Edited Date/Time 12/5/2017 4:52am
Crush wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/12/04/229328/s1200_maxresdefault.jpg[/img]

RACERX69 wrote:
Ha!!!! That's awesome, Crush!! I'm thinking 49weasel has no idea the correlation here. He just got owned!!! Too funny!
slipdog wrote:
I use that reference all the time on my 6yr olds and they just stare blankly and cock their heads like a lost puppy, lol.
It's brilliant.

So many sayings I can't wait to use to my kids... My Dad used to speak in bloody riddles!
ruy
12/5/2017 4:53am
I had a 2007 CR125 and it had crack around the steering stem. Sent photos through to Honda and apparently they wear aware of the issue...
I had a 2007 CR125 and it had crack around the steering stem. Sent photos through to Honda and apparently they wear aware of the issue and had several other complaints with the same crack. they ended up sending out a new frame for me haha

I just cant believe KTM have had so many recalls every year on there bikes!!
But, that was recently, or around 2007 ..? I am very surprised that Honda is sending you a chassis now for a 2007 motorbike
smezmx
12/5/2017 4:54am
All i did was hit a speedbump in the road with mine?....Smile

Post a reply to: Another snapt KTM frame

The Latest