Another talking wallet thread!

FI2T
1/23/2018 5:32pm Edited Date/Time 1/29/2018 9:09pm
Just snagged my first Orange bike today! It is also my first bike with a kick stand and E start.

I am pumped to have a counterbalanced motor, especially after riding this monster yz with a k5 motor for the last 6months.

Some pre ride mods! I spent a few hrs on a 17 already, so I knew I wanted the head and the carb. Any other suggestions while I have it apart tonight?

Hoping to go for a ride tomorrow, then off to Phoenix on Thursday with 25 bros to ride, camp and then catch Supercross!

|
jeffro503
1/23/2018 5:45pm
Holy crap! Congrats! New 2 strokes being bought right and left. Awesome sight! Have fun down in AZ man.
1/23/2018 5:54pm Edited Date/Time 1/23/2018 5:54pm
Based on personal experience with a Lectron and the RK Tek head together, I would suggest putting just the head on and riding it before trying out the smart carb. I've found that significant gains I got from the RK Tek head were negated quite a bit after putting on the my Lectron. Properly jetted, the RK Tek head with the stock carb is much more fun to ride. You owe it to yourself to at least give this a go before throwing the smart carb on.
1/23/2018 6:03pm
^^Far beyond a C class hero. A real hero. Solid advice right there
FI2T
1/23/2018 6:18pm
Based on personal experience with a Lectron and the RK Tek head together, I would suggest putting just the head on and riding it before trying...
Based on personal experience with a Lectron and the RK Tek head together, I would suggest putting just the head on and riding it before trying out the smart carb. I've found that significant gains I got from the RK Tek head were negated quite a bit after putting on the my Lectron. Properly jetted, the RK Tek head with the stock carb is much more fun to ride. You owe it to yourself to at least give this a go before throwing the smart carb on.
Thanks, I'll give it shot and leave it alone for this weekend. I've ran the smart carb on two bikes now and have been really happy with them. I have heard some people have issue's with low end and mid range with lectrons. Was that your issue with them?

The Shop

1/23/2018 6:58pm
FI2T wrote:
Thanks, I'll give it shot and leave it alone for this weekend. I've ran the smart carb on two bikes now and have been really happy...
Thanks, I'll give it shot and leave it alone for this weekend. I've ran the smart carb on two bikes now and have been really happy with them. I have heard some people have issue's with low end and mid range with lectrons. Was that your issue with them?
Lectron only - I might get blasted for saying this, but I feel like the Lectron was really finicky...more so than the stocker it replaced. Always ran premium fuel (no race gas) and while it didn't make the bike worse in the big picture, I would be hard pressed to say that it made it run better in any way.

Rk Tek Only - The thing is magic. As long as you were honest with Kelsey (whom I assume answered the phone when you called) about the type of riding you do, the range of elevation you ride, and the fuel you run, then your bike will run tremendously better across the board and will be anything but finicky. The bike sounds and feels crisp whenever you get on the throttle, it pulls every gear way farther, I shift less, and the way that it changes the power delivery to the rear tire seems to encourage you to ride a gear higher most places without experiencing any downsides. Even a gear higher, the throttle just feels so connected to the rear. I would bet that after one ride and you will concur with all of the claims about the head they make on their website and you will find other areas of improvement not mentioned. Also, if you're happy with where the jetting is at now, then leave it alone. After two heads, I haven't found a need to re-jet either bike after install.

Lectron and Rk Tek together - Bike ran more similar to what it did stock, but with a less excitement from what I can remember. While I never did go back to full stock to compare the feeling to be sure, I would say that it felt a lot like riding a EFI 4 stroke with the mapping set to a mild/mellow. I can see this being the ideal situation for some or in certain scenarios, but it's just not something that I've ever found myself looking for. Needless to say, the Lectron came off and I've never looked back.
Rockinar
1/23/2018 7:08pm
That's 3 two strokes bought today. Death to the 4 stroke!
jeffro503
1/23/2018 7:20pm
Rockinar wrote:
That's 3 two strokes bought today. Death to the 4 stroke!
You haven't been to the track lately huh?
FI2T
1/23/2018 10:33pm
FI2T wrote:
Thanks, I'll give it shot and leave it alone for this weekend. I've ran the smart carb on two bikes now and have been really happy...
Lectron only - I might get blasted for saying this, but I feel like the Lectron was really finicky...more so than the stocker it replaced. Always...
Lectron only - I might get blasted for saying this, but I feel like the Lectron was really finicky...more so than the stocker it replaced. Always ran premium fuel (no race gas) and while it didn't make the bike worse in the big picture, I would be hard pressed to say that it made it run better in any way.

Rk Tek Only - The thing is magic. As long as you were honest with Kelsey (whom I assume answered the phone when you called) about the type of riding you do, the range of elevation you ride, and the fuel you run, then your bike will run tremendously better across the board and will be anything but finicky. The bike sounds and feels crisp whenever you get on the throttle, it pulls every gear way farther, I shift less, and the way that it changes the power delivery to the rear tire seems to encourage you to ride a gear higher most places without experiencing any downsides. Even a gear higher, the throttle just feels so connected to the rear. I would bet that after one ride and you will concur with all of the claims about the head they make on their website and you will find other areas of improvement not mentioned. Also, if you're happy with where the jetting is at now, then leave it alone. After two heads, I haven't found a need to re-jet either bike after install.

Lectron and Rk Tek together - Bike ran more similar to what it did stock, but with a less excitement from what I can remember. While I never did go back to full stock to compare the feeling to be sure, I would say that it felt a lot like riding a EFI 4 stroke with the mapping set to a mild/mellow. I can see this being the ideal situation for some or in certain scenarios, but it's just not something that I've ever found myself looking for. Needless to say, the Lectron came off and I've never looked back.
I talked to Kelsey for quite awhile. Really cool guy. He really sold me on the head.

I guess we will see on the carb. The smart carbs have worked really well on my kx500 and on a screaming little yz250.

Sounds like you are running a similar bike? Any other suggestions? Thanks for the info!
Rockinar
1/23/2018 11:04pm
jeffro503 wrote:
You haven't been to the track lately huh?
Not this winter. Is it hopeless?
1/23/2018 11:47pm Edited Date/Time 1/23/2018 11:48pm
FI2T wrote:
I talked to Kelsey for quite awhile. Really cool guy. He really sold me on the head. I guess we will see on the carb. The...
I talked to Kelsey for quite awhile. Really cool guy. He really sold me on the head.

I guess we will see on the carb. The smart carbs have worked really well on my kx500 and on a screaming little yz250.

Sounds like you are running a similar bike? Any other suggestions? Thanks for the info!
Not saying that it you'll hate it, only that you owe it to yourself to see what you think of the improvements the RK Tek head actually provides on it's own and then you can compare that experience to the head + the smart carb and go from there. If for no other reason, then why not go with this incremental route simply because the stock carb is already on your bike and doesn't need to be touched during the head installation. Conversely, you don't need to drain coolant or touch the head to change the carb out so you won't be retreading water to add the smart carb on later. It's a win-win situation and will let you figure out what you like best.

Plus, if I'm reading your original post correctly, you haven't even had a chance to give the bike a fair shake yet since getting it, so see if you find cause to be unhappy with the stock carb. Since you already know how your past bikes have benefitted from the Lectron carbs you've put on, then use that as a baseline from which to gauge whether the Rk Tek head alone leaves you wanting for a solution to a similar/same problem area/issue that led you to put on the Lectron carbs in the past. If the latter happens to be the case, then perhaps the Smart Carb will be the missing piece of the puzzle and will give you the perfect bike. But like I said, my experience is that the Lectron detracted from the gains received with the RK head, yet the RK head mated to the stock carb let the motor shine in a shit-eating grin way. And my experience here is from a 17 250 xc.
FI2T
1/24/2018 7:24am
I'm going to leave the head and the smart carb off for this weekend. Then I will give just the head a shot first. Did you mod your airbox? My buddy said it made a big difference on his.
jeffro503
1/24/2018 8:29am
FI2T wrote:
I'm going to leave the head and the smart carb off for this weekend. Then I will give just the head a shot first. Did you...
I'm going to leave the head and the smart carb off for this weekend. Then I will give just the head a shot first. Did you mod your airbox? My buddy said it made a big difference on his.
Would be really cool to hear your thoughts on that head. If you have it jetted properly , hopefully you'll have a fun ride. And btw....did you check your reed cage? Or is it only Husky's that have the crappy reeds? I know my buddy's 17' SX 250 had some bad ones in it.
FI2T
1/24/2018 9:44am
jeffro503 wrote:
Would be really cool to hear your thoughts on that head. If you have it jetted properly , hopefully you'll have a fun ride. And btw....did...
Would be really cool to hear your thoughts on that head. If you have it jetted properly , hopefully you'll have a fun ride. And btw....did you check your reed cage? Or is it only Husky's that have the crappy reeds? I know my buddy's 17' SX 250 had some bad ones in it.
I just did a couple 20 minute rides this morning! This bike is unreal smooth! Jetting was pretty solid! It did feel just a little flat in the mid range. I'm going to do one more little heat cycle. Then go install the head.... I can't leave it off with all the positive reviews. I'll check the reeds cage while I'm doing the head. I have heard they can be an issue. I think I'm going to mod the intake as well, a bunch of people are telling me that helps a lot as well.
scooter5002
1/24/2018 11:10am Edited Date/Time 1/24/2018 11:12am
Nice! I assume it’s an ‘18? Rode one in Calgary, at Demo Days, loved it. Box stock, at 3500” elevation, ran great on the stock jetting. 265 lbs in gear, the suspension, while still not quite broken in, felt great too. Set up for rider and conditions, that is clearly a killer bike. Enjoy.
FI2T
1/24/2018 1:53pm
Nice! I assume it’s an ‘18? Rode one in Calgary, at Demo Days, loved it. Box stock, at 3500” elevation, ran great on the stock jetting...
Nice! I assume it’s an ‘18? Rode one in Calgary, at Demo Days, loved it. Box stock, at 3500” elevation, ran great on the stock jetting. 265 lbs in gear, the suspension, while still not quite broken in, felt great too. Set up for rider and conditions, that is clearly a killer bike. Enjoy.
Thanks! It is an 18. Are you tall? I'm 6' 2" and 205, I think I'm going to need a stiffer rear spring, new bars asap and probably a riser. The bike feels tiny. The motor is electric and smooth.I just threw the RK tek head on. I am hoping that brings a little more snap to it. I went to the red spring on the power valve as well. Going back out now to test it out!
Markee
Fantasy
2006th
1/24/2018 2:09pm
Right on man!
scooter5002
1/24/2018 4:05pm
Nice! I assume it’s an ‘18? Rode one in Calgary, at Demo Days, loved it. Box stock, at 3500” elevation, ran great on the stock jetting...
FI2T wrote:
Thanks! It is an 18. Are you tall? I'm 6' 2" and 205, I think I'm going to need a stiffer rear spring, new bars asap...
Thanks! It is an 18. Are you tall? I'm 6' 2" and 205, I think I'm going to need a stiffer rear spring, new bars asap and probably a riser. The bike feels tiny. The motor is electric and smooth.I just threw the RK tek head on. I am hoping that brings a little more snap to it. I went to the red spring on the power valve as well. Going back out now to test it out!
6’ 6”, before I throw the stilleto’s on. (Oops, wrong forum.) The bars needs to be higher, but considering it was a test ride, it felt pretty good. Bar height and springs is all I’d change, along with valving. Jet for the altitude obviously, but that’s nothing to do with ergo’s. Ooooooooh, that clutch. Cool
1/24/2018 5:57pm
FI2T wrote:
Thanks! It is an 18. Are you tall? I'm 6' 2" and 205, I think I'm going to need a stiffer rear spring, new bars asap...
So what are your thoughts after riding it after throwing the head on?
FI2T
1/24/2018 6:25pm
So what are your thoughts after riding it after throwing the head on?
The head makes a big difference! Coming off my yzkx500 which I really had to ride 1 to 2 gears tall to go fast, the 300 is going to allow me to ride aggressively again! The head and the red spring gave the motor the snap I was missing earlier today. Perfect weather today 65 and a recent rain storm provided some tacky dirt. I couldn't have asked for a better day to test it out. Heading out to Phoenix tomorrow morning!

1/24/2018 6:37pm
FI2T wrote:
The head makes a big difference! Coming off my yzkx500 which I really had to ride 1 to 2 gears tall to go fast, the 300...
The head makes a big difference! Coming off my yzkx500 which I really had to ride 1 to 2 gears tall to go fast, the 300 is going to allow me to ride aggressively again! The head and the red spring gave the motor the snap I was missing earlier today. Perfect weather today 65 and a recent rain storm provided some tacky dirt. I couldn't have asked for a better day to test it out. Heading out to Phoenix tomorrow morning!

That's great to hear. Enjoy the trip.
FI2T
1/29/2018 9:09pm
Hell of a weekend! I couldn't be happier with this 300xc. The suspension is every bit as good as the sss forks. I am really feeling comfortable and confident on the bike even with the bars not being right. I did put the smart carb on it. It ran perfect! Only downer was, Four peaks (riding area) was loaded with trash, UTV's, quads and tons of people shooting guns, some of them were not smart.... shooting in all directions. We had a couple of close calls. Sketchy stuff.

Post a reply to: Another talking wallet thread!

The Latest