Anyone had shoulder surgery?

Edited Date/Time 1/13/2015 7:52pm
I had surgery on my shoulder to repair a torn labrum and I re-dislocated it exactly one year after surgery. Went back for another MRI and the doctor said nothing was torn. Has anyone else had this surgery? Is this normal? I love riding and wish I could but just normal riding makes my shoulder feel unstable.
|
Arkmx
8/3/2009 7:54pm

Had my right AC Joint separated, surgery / graph to repair damage 1989 (hold Collarbone down). No problem since.

Check into doing as many different shoulder strengthening exercises as you can in moderation. Increase overall shoulder strength to help keep everything in place...

Also look into one of the Shoulder braces offered by 661 and EVS....

JG.
Renner153
Fantasy
3583rd
8/3/2009 8:18pm Edited Date/Time 8/3/2009 8:19pm
I had surgery on my shoulder to repair a torn labrum and I re-dislocated it exactly one year after surgery. Went back for another MRI and...
I had surgery on my shoulder to repair a torn labrum and I re-dislocated it exactly one year after surgery. Went back for another MRI and the doctor said nothing was torn. Has anyone else had this surgery? Is this normal? I love riding and wish I could but just normal riding makes my shoulder feel unstable.
maybe you should stop being a sissy about it and get back on the bike IMO
JW381
8/3/2009 9:15pm
Had that exact surgery in 2006. Shoulder has stayed in place ever since. It takes some getting used to. The braces help your confidence, but from what I understand, don't do much for your shoulder in a real crash.
WORCSRacer
8/3/2009 9:21pm
I had surgery on my shoulder to repair a torn labrum and I re-dislocated it exactly one year after surgery. Went back for another MRI and...
Maybe nothings torn.... Did he do an MRI or a MRI with Contrast? A standard MRI is not very accurate in diagnosing this sort of injury.

The Shop

8/4/2009 3:52pm
the braces aren't going to do shit- but, if it makes you feel better than wear it... Ive had that surgery twice now (once rotor cuff) and my only advise is to get in the gym. you shoulder wont feel stable untill the muscles around the damaged/repaired spot are strong again. I still have the occasional pop, and my shoulder isnt 100% but its more stable than it ever has been and i feel confident on a bike/snowboard again...
bigmaico
8/4/2009 4:57pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 1:19am
Yup I went for a "torn rotator cuff" the doctor found out that it was a a torn labrum & did a Bankhart repair.

That was in 99' & it been good, even though I have a few good get offs, including one that put me the ICU for five on a ventilator & left the other shoulder with a 2 degree separation.

Just get it fixed & do the physical therapy & you should be good to go!
ProMed
8/4/2009 5:19pm
What exactly are you asking here? Is what normal? To dislocate and not have torn tissue?

How long was your shoulder dislocated?
jmar
8/4/2009 5:27pm
Arkmx wrote:
Had my right AC Joint separated, surgery / graph to repair damage 1989 (hold Collarbone down). No problem since. Check into doing as many different shoulder...

Had my right AC Joint separated, surgery / graph to repair damage 1989 (hold Collarbone down). No problem since.

Check into doing as many different shoulder strengthening exercises as you can in moderation. Increase overall shoulder strength to help keep everything in place...

Also look into one of the Shoulder braces offered by 661 and EVS....

JG.
This will do nothing to keep a shoulder intact. PM me mxracer4life and I will give you a number for someone that can get you a restraint to keep your shoulders in place.
Nerd
8/5/2009 12:22am
had a torn labia and acromio-cliviculatory inury.

arthroscopic procedure
You tore your labia?

Damn, I'm not a girl, but I bet that really hurt.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
8/5/2009 12:23am
I had a torn labrum as well, and the doc tightened the heck out of it. I haven't had it redislocate, or any issues with it. Getting it loosened up afterwards was rough, though.
russerbe
8/5/2009 6:29am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 1:20am
I am 7 weeks into recovery from a 6 hour shoulder surgery. I had a procedure called a laterjet. It is the procedure that is pretty much what you do when all else fails with a loose shoulder. I took a really bad digger over the bars once and dislocated my shoulder. From then on it dislocated really really easy. I could and did on several ocasions actually dislocate it by simply putting on a t-shirt. I eventually had surgery where they put a screw through my ligament to hold it to the bone. Well, another jump coming up short tore that procedure all to hell and the doc said that there was really nothing else he could do because the inside of my shoulder was just frayed all to hell. So I sold my bike and started riding street bikes. Eight years later, I'm buying a dirtbike for my son and start talking to the guy selling it to me about my shoulder. He had the same prob and went to one of the nations top shoulder surgeons in Houston and he was able to give him stability again. So, my wife contacted the Dr. We flew to Houston consulted with him and he assured me that he could help me. So, we scheduled the surgery and I'm now 5 weeks from being able to ride again. I already bought a bike and all of my gear except pants and jersey. I can't wait.

The Laterjet utilizes a bone block and an extra ligament. They basically cut off a piece of bone from another area in your shoulder where it isn't needed. Then they screw it in just outside the shoulder socket. It basically uses bone to block the arm from slipping out. They also take a ligament that is also in your shoulder, that my surgeon said is basically a spare and serves no purpose, and reattach it to the arm and shoulder socket. This keeps tension pulling the arm in to socket, the same way tie-down keep tension on a bike. So, between the new ligament and the bone block, you're pretty much cured from dislocating it again from normal activity.
mooch
Fantasy
431st
8/5/2009 7:09am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 1:20am
russerbe wrote:
I am 7 weeks into recovery from a 6 hour shoulder surgery. I had a procedure called a laterjet. It is the procedure that is pretty...
I am 7 weeks into recovery from a 6 hour shoulder surgery. I had a procedure called a laterjet. It is the procedure that is pretty much what you do when all else fails with a loose shoulder. I took a really bad digger over the bars once and dislocated my shoulder. From then on it dislocated really really easy. I could and did on several ocasions actually dislocate it by simply putting on a t-shirt. I eventually had surgery where they put a screw through my ligament to hold it to the bone. Well, another jump coming up short tore that procedure all to hell and the doc said that there was really nothing else he could do because the inside of my shoulder was just frayed all to hell. So I sold my bike and started riding street bikes. Eight years later, I'm buying a dirtbike for my son and start talking to the guy selling it to me about my shoulder. He had the same prob and went to one of the nations top shoulder surgeons in Houston and he was able to give him stability again. So, my wife contacted the Dr. We flew to Houston consulted with him and he assured me that he could help me. So, we scheduled the surgery and I'm now 5 weeks from being able to ride again. I already bought a bike and all of my gear except pants and jersey. I can't wait.

The Laterjet utilizes a bone block and an extra ligament. They basically cut off a piece of bone from another area in your shoulder where it isn't needed. Then they screw it in just outside the shoulder socket. It basically uses bone to block the arm from slipping out. They also take a ligament that is also in your shoulder, that my surgeon said is basically a spare and serves no purpose, and reattach it to the arm and shoulder socket. This keeps tension pulling the arm in to socket, the same way tie-down keep tension on a bike. So, between the new ligament and the bone block, you're pretty much cured from dislocating it again from normal activity.
After about 8 or 9 dislocation episodes, I had the same "bone block" surgery and ligament reconfiguring/tightening years ago by a Dr Almquist who did a fantastic job (he's since passed away).

After two other total downer ortho docs had checked out my shoulder and told me it was pretty much hosed and that I should give up riding after they wanted to do what's called a Bankhart procedure. Dr Almquist had said "that procedure is archaic and wouldn't hold up for me and that he'd fix it better than new and I'd be back on a bike and riding in no time. That dude was the best ortho doc I've ever seen and his up beat prognosis was dead on. Since that surgery, I've even seperated that same shoulder and banged it up multiple times and it's never dislocated again or given me any issues.

I do remember him telling me that if it did ever pop out that it'd be a real pain in the ass to get it back into place with normal manipulation as that piece of bone that was screwed into that area would also try to block it from popping back into place. I believe this fix is also referred to as a Bristow procedure.

Good luck with yours!
Eatmydirt03
8/5/2009 8:16am
I have had 3 shoulder operations all dealing with tron labrum's and some bone spurs which did a ton of damage. I havent had any probelms with stability, you may want to try some PT and see if you can stregthen back up the arm and tighten some things up. When they did the MRI did you get injected with dye. It helps alot I had a tear missed on one operation due the mri not picking the tear up in the back, once dye was injected it was clear as can be that i had anoter tear.
ProMed
8/5/2009 8:21am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 1:20am
I have been on a few bristow-latarjet cases. They basically just take the coracoid along with the coraco-acromial ligament, release the pec minor, and reattach the coracoid to the front of the bad area of the glenoid. I think they were 3-4 months to full recovery.

I have only ever seen the bristow-latarjet done when there is some bone loss from the front of your glenoid. This can happen when some bone is pulled off the glenoid from the bankhart lesion or if the guy has dislocated the shoulder a lot and worn down the bone of the glenoid. If there is no bone loss and the labrum is torn in the area of the glenoid we are discussing it is called a bankhart lesion and they just do a simple bankhart repair.

Bankhart repairs are at least a 100 times more common and just involves reattaching the torn section of the labrum using suture which are then usually attached to one or more suture anchors. If the joint was loose and bankhart lesion wasn't found they usually just do a capsular shrinkage (with rf wand or a plication with suture to capture the capsule & labrum to shift the capsule and tighten it up.

Hope that helps clear some of this up for you guys!
ProMed
8/5/2009 8:24am
Most importantly almost no two shoulder repairs are ever the same. What worked for one guy, very well may not be what is best for you. There are so many little things that are considered when deciding what type of repair to do and how/ if it is done. On top of that, the game plan changes very often once the surgeon gets in there and can visualize the actual problem compared to whatever they were able to see on the MRI.
russerbe
8/5/2009 8:43am
Yup, my surgeon said that I had dislocated so many times that the bone chipped/wore off a bit on the ends. He explained it very easily with a golf ball and tee. The top of the tee is like the socket and the ball is the top of the arm. After you hit off the tee a time or two, you might crack a bit off the lip, when that happens the ball falls off the tee much easier. Same thing with shoulder sockets. My surgeon said there is only one other guy in the world who has done more of these than he has, so I had the utmost confidence in his confidence in this working.
ProMed
8/5/2009 8:54am
russerbe wrote:
Yup, my surgeon said that I had dislocated so many times that the bone chipped/wore off a bit on the ends. He explained it very easily...
Yup, my surgeon said that I had dislocated so many times that the bone chipped/wore off a bit on the ends. He explained it very easily with a golf ball and tee. The top of the tee is like the socket and the ball is the top of the arm. After you hit off the tee a time or two, you might crack a bit off the lip, when that happens the ball falls off the tee much easier. Same thing with shoulder sockets. My surgeon said there is only one other guy in the world who has done more of these than he has, so I had the utmost confidence in his confidence in this working.
What was the surgeons name?
mooch
Fantasy
431st
8/5/2009 8:55am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 1:20am
I have a pic at home of George Holland holding up a trophy and that dude has one heckuva nasty looking shoulder...very droopy and misshapen looking.

Not to be a name dropper as I'm definitely not any kind of insider, but ,Goat Breker had noticed that I had been running around in an arm sling at Perris and he told me he'd have George Holland call me so that he could tell me which shoulder doc was the best from his experiences. I gave Goat my work number and figured it was a fat chance that I'd be hearing from Mr. Holland. The following week I was pretty shocked when George actually called me at work and we talked shoulders and he told me to go check out Dr. Almquist.

Thought I'd mention this just to show what a cool guy George Holland must be!
russerbe
8/5/2009 9:10am
russerbe wrote:
Yup, my surgeon said that I had dislocated so many times that the bone chipped/wore off a bit on the ends. He explained it very easily...
ProMed wrote:
What was the surgeons name?
Dr. Gary Gartsman

Google him, you'll be amazed. He's been the ortho surgeon for all of the pro sports teams in Houston, written books on the shoulder, etc. etc. He's the man
8/5/2009 9:23am
Since I had the surgery a little over a year ago my shoulder had felt OK and occasionally I could feel it slipping in the socket coming into corners or through rough sections but it had never came out since surgery. Then I landed a little sideways over a jump and swapped but rode it out and it came out in the process of riding it out. I never made contact with the ground, i was on both wheels the whole time and it popped out. With that dislocation it was out for two hours. What is weird is I can go to the gym or do normal activities and its strong but when it comes to something that requires a reflex and I respond it will just fall out. It doesn't make sense to me how its strong when doing activities that im aware of but if say someone throws a ball at me and I catch it away from my body my shoulder will sublux.
dl117
Fantasy
2587th
8/5/2009 9:37am
I have had 14 dislocations and 6 since my bankhart repair, I have also had some slips where I stop doing what I am doing when I feel it starting to come out of joint. I ride a couple times a week and it does not bother me to much. Still gets sore but that is life.
mooch
Fantasy
431st
8/5/2009 11:18am
Yeah I guess I just need to deal with it. it will never be back to normal.
Maybe you could check out a doc who does the laterjet-bristow procedure?
8/5/2009 11:49am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 1:20am
This is a shoulder injury!

Man UP josh!!

hurt
Lightning78
8/5/2009 12:06pm
2 dislocations within 10 years and a Grade 3 AC separation on my right shoulder .....not a single incident w/o forcing it to come out i.e. another crash. No surgery either can ....or could ride as much as I wanted w/o and ill effects and I can do any kind of bench or shoulder press , maybe I am lucky though
MXATC
Fantasy
2394th
8/5/2009 1:16pm
What ProMed speaks of is true. But one thing that we are forgetting here is the continuation of the strengthening exercises for that shoulder. Since you were finished with rehab, did you continue and progress your exercises for the shoulder? Very important to continue strengthening the shoulder. It takes sometimes a full year from the date of surgery to recover. As ProMed stated, no 2 surgeries will go the same way. Those braces stated will not continue to stabilize your shoulder. The only brace that I have found that will work is the Don Joy Shoulder Stabilizer brace. Works well for motocross and any other sport as well.

Post a reply to: Anyone had shoulder surgery?

The Latest