1 of 2
Related:
Create New Tag
sumdood
10/29/2019 6:21 PM

LumpDog841
10/29/2019 6:25 PM

Heat gun, get one. I also use my wifes hair dryer.

Jeremy Macbeth
10/29/2019 6:32 PM

Windex + heat gun + plastic scraper thingamajig

Also, don't start from the top down. Work from the center out. Windex helps make it easy to reposition.

sumdood
10/29/2019 6:40 PM
LumpDog841 wrote:

Heat gun, get one. I also ...more

I used sumdoods wife's hair dryer, Still all I did was push the wrinkle around. I've put on graphics before but for whatever reason the stars didn't align on this one. The other pieces came out perfect but the football shaped side panels fucking killed me. I'm gonna start drinking

MX Dad #27
10/29/2019 6:44 PM

DeCal Works Application Kit

Better to remain silent and thought a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

LumpDog841
10/29/2019 6:48 PM
LumpDog841 wrote:

sumdood wrote:

I used sumdoods wife's ...more

Sometimes it's best to just call it a night and have a drink.

yz25
10/29/2019 7:02 PM

No going to lie. My first run at putting my backgrounds on my 20 450 was a complete mess! Then thinking I had another side was going to be just as much of a headache. Not sure how I did it but after a few deep breaths and colorful language towards the process.... they feel right in place nearly perfect. Wouldn’t count on it happening that way again.

Good luck man!

inthebadboycorner
10/29/2019 7:04 PM

Take solace in knowing you are not the only one.

jeffro503
10/29/2019 7:31 PM

Yeah , definitely a heat gun is your friend with decals. And you think these may be difficult? I had to hire my buddy Joel on here ( Mx216 ) to do my helmet wraps. That stuff is thinner then paper and the damn round helmets , with grooves , ridges , vents , ribits n top of being round.....No effing way I would have kept my sanity on those things. He whipped them out in no time flat and made them perfect. That guy could wrap a basketball without a wrinkle!

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

SLAPAHO
10/29/2019 7:41 PM
LumpDog841 wrote:

sumdood wrote:

I used sumdoods wife's ...more

did you use a spray bottle to soak the background and the plate? or are you doing it old school with just heat and thumb pressure?
if it's the latter, start over and soak everything first.. or drive up the freeway and i'll do it for you.

mikec265
10/29/2019 7:42 PM
yz25
10/29/2019 8:22 PM

Haha. This has become an open room therapy session!

Excaliburbmx
10/29/2019 8:37 PM

Decal works application kit and their decals are so hard to beat. Ask for Sean Murdock he is the best

nytsmaC
10/29/2019 9:35 PM

I recommend a pitcher of lime margarita with Gran Centenario reposado, apply liberally

sumdood
10/29/2019 9:37 PM
Excaliburbmx wrote:

Decal works application ...more

I use the kit. I have leftovers from when I did a polisport upgrade on my YZ250, which came out great. This bike is my son's '06 CRF250. I did the fenders, front number plate, shrouds, fork guards with no issues. Those pieces came out tits, no wrinkles, no bubbles, & centered, very little drama with those parts. I prep the plastic with the 2 cleaners, sort of "test" the graphic with the backing still on and try to get a feel for where to start once I start, get the plastic warm with the dryer, get the graphic warm, peel the whole backing off, soak both pieces, and try to work from the center out. It was going great until I got to the egg shaped side panels, no matter what I had a triangle shaped over lap I guess you call it. I finally just made a slit and let it over lap and cut the over lapping part of with a razor blade. It's good from afar but far from good as they say. It's not too bad, it's like it came with built in battle scar..... I thought I knew the technique and had it wired.... wrong

sumdood
10/29/2019 9:49 PM
jeffro503 wrote:

Yeah , definitely a heat ...more

A helmet wrap ? I get dizzy even thinking about it. Your buddy Joel Mx216 must be some kind of wizard or sorcerer. A flat sticker on a round object with no wrinkles defies all natural laws.

My nephew works for a company that does clear wraps on high end sports cars, pretty cool stuff.

Boomslang
10/29/2019 10:02 PM

There is always that one side number board (in Hondas case two) that is a cramp in the dot. I sympathize with you and I know the situation all too well. You'll get better as time goes on.

A six pack helps find that extra bit of patience needed....

sgrimmxdad
10/30/2019 3:58 AM

Honda number plates are some of the hardest to install properly! Depending on your material a hair dryer should be good enough!

2020 YZ450F
2018 KTM 450SXF FE
2016 YZ250F 2008 CRF450R
2015 YZ250F 2008 CRF250R
2012 YZ125 2001 CR250R
2010 YZ250 2012 CRF150R
2009 YZ125 2010 KX109.5
SSR Motorsports Dealer
TAGMX Suspension & Graphics! www.tagmxsuspension.com https://www.liquidskinzdesign.com/

O&GDriller
10/30/2019 4:27 AM

Those Honda's are the most difficult graphics I've ever applied. I'm good with graphics but those bikes are impossible to get correct. The football shape is the culprit. Oh, the hours I've spent all for naught.....

KMC440
10/30/2019 4:42 AM

Always start with two beers of your choice as you are putting together the parts and pieces you'll need. Then just before beginning take a big swig of Knob Creek small batch 100 to rest those small muscle twitches. Continue as you normally would with liberal doses of "the Creek" and BOYC.

If done right you'll walk out in the morning hung over and think the graphic fairy elves paid you a visit!

Timo_2824
10/30/2019 5:06 AM

This is why I don't run number plate backgrounds...

DoctorJD
10/30/2019 5:39 AM
Excaliburbmx wrote:

Decal works application ...more

sumdood wrote:

I use the kit. I have ...more

CRF plates are the absolute worst, especially the single-muffler bikes. My son used to have a 04', and my god those muffler-side plates were beyond rage-inducing.

Motofinne
10/30/2019 5:49 AM

Man i remember when i rode the CRF150R in my last mini bike year and my dad did my graphics on the bikes. He was close to losing his mind when he tackled the muffler side number plate. Hondas of that era were a pain in the ass regarding applying the graphics.

Madmax31
10/30/2019 6:25 AM

Trust me on this. Anyone applying graphics yourself. Go to harbor freight and buy this...

CHICAGO ELECTRIC
1500 Watt 12 Interval Heat Gun 430°-800° /570°-1160°
$29.99

The best thing you'll ever do!

2013 KTM 450SXF, 1983 YZ 250K, & 1983 CR 250

MotoCoUSA
10/30/2019 6:47 AM

I find that cutting the backing of the graphic in to sections really helps. Also, I usually use masking tape to kind of place them on there in the right spot and then take sections of the backing off that I cut as i go. Use my wifes hairdryer and it works just fine. Also, the little plastic thingamajigger like someone above said works well.

Either way, its still a huge pain in the arse.

Thisusernameisavailable
10/30/2019 6:54 AM

lay the middle down first and work your way out! You'll never get it any good if you're starting at one end!

yz25
10/30/2019 7:01 AM

what seemed to help for me, along with all of the above. I lined the hole up, seeing that was my biggest issue. Then started in the middle spread the graphics out moving to the edges. Believe it was my first time using that toll that comes with the graphic kit. With the shape of the number plates on the Honda, it’s nearly impossible to start, edges first.

lumpy790
10/30/2019 7:44 AM

For years I used a spray bottle with a couple drops of dish soap in it and a hair dryer on the difficult spots. Then I got a set of graphics and the install kit from Decal Works. WOW did that stuff work!

IMO a heat gun will get the background to hot and cause damage.

I have been thinking about putting some fresh graphics on my KTM Factory Edition.

Moto520
10/30/2019 7:51 AM

It's bloody hell! i do it one panel at a time so that i avoid meltdown

Zaugg
10/30/2019 7:52 AM
Thisusernameisavailable wrote:

lay the middle down first ...more

What this guy said...^^^

Most people start at the bottom or the top of the number plate and by the time they get to the opposite end, they find themselves in the mess you're in.

Try this...

!. Line up the graphic
2. Finding the "high side" of the plate
3. Remove the entire backing (risky but this is really the best way to let the vinyl flex)
4. Lightly place graphic on the plate (you might need to reposition a couple times but the adhesive will be fine...plenty of sticky on them decals. haha)
5. Once placed, start working the decal from the center out to the edge almost in an outward spiral. (Use heat to keep the vinyl soft and pliable)
6. Once you get to the edge if you find you have a little overhang, instead of wrapping around the plastic, cut it with a razor blade.
7. Let it sit and then clean it with SC1. haha

1 of 2

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry