Are "recovery" drinks necassary?

Edited Date/Time 11/12/2012 1:53pm
Are Recovery/Post Workout Shakes Necessary?

Magazines and supplement companies are some of the first people to talk about the “Anabolic Window”, Does this saying sound familiar? “You have 30-60 minutes after your workout to drink sugary carbs and protein because you body is “primed” to absorb it then.” The industry has made it seem like if you don’t have a sugar drink (that contains NO micronutrients) that you will shrink away to nothing, or not recover at all from your workout. That simply is NOT the case. Unless you are training at VERY high intensity levels multiple times per day…there is no need to “spike” insulin and consume a bunch of sugar after your workout. Personally I would much rather consume a whole food source of nutrition that is full of micronutrients like red or sweet potato’s. For example red potato’s are loaded with Vitamin C, a source of fiber and will fill you up much more than a sugar drink will! For me personally I have experimented in this subject and haven’t found it more beneficial to consume a post workout sugar drink, or have a post workout drink AT ALL….and just eat my next meal for the day (but if you know you can't eat for another few hours a small protein+carb drink would be beneficial). The bottom line is if you hit your protein/carbohydrate and fat needs for the day, you wont notice the difference in using a post workout shake or not using one. Some people may still need one to hit their protein needs for the day, in this case I recommend 30-60g or whey protein isolate right after your workout and then consume a whole food meal about an hour later.
|
Mr. G
11/12/2012 10:00am
Actually a very common "recovery" drink in many sports is chocolate milk.
APLMAN99
11/12/2012 10:12am
Mr. G wrote:
Yep, nearly all of my kids' coaches have been encouraging this since they began middle school.
davistld01
11/12/2012 10:15am
Mr. G wrote:
I thought that was utter BS when I first heard it, but two buddies of mine...one who is a competitive body builder, the other who is a Crossfit addict both swear by organic chocolate milk as the best recovery drink going after a serious workouot. Who'da thunk that?
11/12/2012 10:39am
Mr. G wrote:
A little protein and some sugar and carbs, nothing wrong with that! Provided you don't have lactose issue's!

The Shop

SMITH201
11/12/2012 10:46am
Protein, Complex carbs and BCAAs. You can get all 3 in powder form and mix together.
BAMX
11/12/2012 11:31am
I know that I have seen Ryno drinking coconut water at the races. Any thoughts on that Ryan?
jndmx
11/12/2012 11:46am
Southern Comfort is my recovery drink of choice.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
11/12/2012 11:48am Edited Date/Time 11/12/2012 11:48am
My recovery drinks tend to be heavy on hops . . .
DrSweden
11/12/2012 11:53am
One can just two and two together and see what gets lost in exercise. At the track, on a warm day I personally drink fluids with salt and sugar to prevent dehydration (we loose tons of salt with the sweat), to restore electrolytes, water and carb depots. I think a regular Gatorade from Waltmart (the orange is ok in taste) with sugar does the trick. We burn the carb reservoir right away, I think we have about 300 grams stored in the liver, later the same day, going from the track one should try to eat proteins within a few hours to help build up muscles that needs spec substances to grow. I'm sure chocolate milk is pretty decent to fill some of the gaps, but I can sometimes drink around a half a gallon of fluids, and chocolate milk will not work that good, should more be seen as additive here that the starting point. But I'm no expert here.

One can build their own mixture, with water and table salt and some sugar in the right proportions if Gatorade or equivalent taste like crap.
11/12/2012 12:59pm
BAMX wrote:
I know that I have seen Ryno drinking coconut water at the races. Any thoughts on that Ryan?
Coconut water is good, Basically the claims about Coconut water hydrating so well stem from the high potassium content in Coconut water (potassium and sodium are electrolytes that leave the body when you sweat). But as DrSweden said, you could simply add some sea salt to you meals (Breakfast and your lunch on race day).....most people generally take in plenty of sodium in their daily diets. Heavy sweater's could certainly benefit with adding sodium/electrolytes especially during the hot summer days though!
DrSweden
11/12/2012 1:53pm
Coconut water is good, Basically the claims about Coconut water hydrating so well stem from the high potassium content in Coconut water (potassium and sodium are...
Coconut water is good, Basically the claims about Coconut water hydrating so well stem from the high potassium content in Coconut water (potassium and sodium are electrolytes that leave the body when you sweat). But as DrSweden said, you could simply add some sea salt to you meals (Breakfast and your lunch on race day).....most people generally take in plenty of sodium in their daily diets. Heavy sweater's could certainly benefit with adding sodium/electrolytes especially during the hot summer days though!
Feels good your support my take on it (it's pretty basic I assume for those in the know). There's actually some danger to lack of electrolytes, that can be worse than the water loss itself since the whole system is based on proportions, as in water/electrolytes proportions, one can go all evolution (we in science embrace this thinking) and see how we emerge from the oceans, and as a consequence still have similar proportions. Like a salt water fish would die in fresh water lake. Any person going to the tropics from a cold place often feel the bad need of salts during dinner, body literally craving for those french fries in the beginning of the vacation since our sweat regulation needs to adjust to different environments when body try to regulate the right body temp, while the temp, humidity is different, and therefore play a big role in affection the body.

I discovered that after drinking those Gatorade (before I usually put some table salt in my drinks in Sweden) in the US, the recovery at nights and the day after felt easier than just going table water, or some soft drinks without electrolytes...

Post a reply to: Are "recovery" drinks necassary?

The Latest