Ask Ping

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
One thing I always look forward to on Friday is Ask Ping on RacerX. The last few years I've talked to friends about our local tracks catering to the few pros that go out there. The vet track at LACR is always packed full of people(dangerous most of the time that im there) while the main track has only a handful of people riding at once. Anyways, here's what Ping had to say about the issue.

"Sir,

I don’t know if getting people back to racing locally is critical for the health of the sport or not, but I think you’re right about making tracks more friendly to the majority of racers. Pala Raceway here in southern California is a great example. They have a great vet track but the jumps on the main track could pass for the layout of Anaheim 1. That’s great for a handful of pros and elite amateur racers but what about everybody else? They are alienating the vast majority of riders in the area and in order to host a race they have to knock the jumps way down. A few big jumps are fun but a good track builder can make a jump safe and fun for everybody. And as far as I’m concerned, I’d ride a track with no jumps and perfect dirt over hard pack with jumps. Maybe your best bet is to pull out one of your really old bikes and go do some vintage racing … no big doubles there. Thanks for your service, brother. Stay safe and I’ll see you on the vet track.

PING"
|
Stuntman949
11/10/2017 9:47am
" I’d ride a track with no jumps and perfect dirt over hard pack with jumps." This hit the nail on the head for me. As an example- although Perris has very nicely prepped dirt, the constant jumps are a turn off for me. I realize they're trying to make the best track for riders better than myself in a confined area.

I kind of jump like Robbie Knievel. I'll make it but it won't be pretty.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
11/10/2017 10:09am
" I’d ride a track with no jumps and perfect dirt over hard pack with jumps." This hit the nail on the head for me. As...
" I’d ride a track with no jumps and perfect dirt over hard pack with jumps." This hit the nail on the head for me. As an example- although Perris has very nicely prepped dirt, the constant jumps are a turn off for me. I realize they're trying to make the best track for riders better than myself in a confined area.

Which is exactly why I haven't been to perris in years. Im not driving 1.5-2 hours to jump a bunch of jumps. I'll drive 25 minutes to Gorman, spend $5 and ride a track that is fun and mellow.
Stuntman949
11/10/2017 10:22am
" I’d ride a track with no jumps and perfect dirt over hard pack with jumps." This hit the nail on the head for me. As...

mattyhamz2 wrote:
Which is exactly why I haven't been to perris in years. Im not driving 1.5-2 hours to jump a bunch of jumps. I'll drive 25 minutes...
Which is exactly why I haven't been to perris in years. Im not driving 1.5-2 hours to jump a bunch of jumps. I'll drive 25 minutes to Gorman, spend $5 and ride a track that is fun and mellow.
I can't believe how beautiful that Gorman dirt was. I thought everyone was over-hyping it but it made for some hero traction. I made the mistake of not washing it off the next day though. Can someone say "concrete mix"
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
11/10/2017 10:29am

mattyhamz2 wrote:
Which is exactly why I haven't been to perris in years. Im not driving 1.5-2 hours to jump a bunch of jumps. I'll drive 25 minutes...
I can't believe how beautiful that Gorman dirt was. I thought everyone was over-hyping it but it made for some hero traction. I made the mistake...
I can't believe how beautiful that Gorman dirt was. I thought everyone was over-hyping it but it made for some hero traction. I made the mistake of not washing it off the next day though. Can someone say "concrete mix"
When its prepped and watered, its damn good!! But ya, if you don't wash it off right away, it can be a pain

The Shop

11/10/2017 6:51pm
Yea. One of our local tracks asked the riders what we wanted to see changed. Most everyone said bring sand in. What’d we get? An over glorified Supercross track that doesn’t flow as good as corn filled dung after a hoe down. That’s what happens when the hired track builder BS’s the track owner. Mo’ money in his pocket because of more build time. Ridiculous.

Post a reply to: Ask Ping

The Latest