Austin TX moto...

Moto88
5/23/2018 11:17pm Edited Date/Time 5/27/2018 8:18am
Just a shout out to the father and son (and anyone else involved) who as of lately have been prepping ADVMX, track is on point! The dirt is a perfect mixture w sand and stays moist the whole evening (been going on wednesday evenings) with plenty of good lines, good ruts and smooth lines if you prefer, lots of loam and a good layout. Been riding right when they open till closing and my bike is still clean, hence the perfect dirt, no mud, no dust, good traction. Yeah I just moved here from Cali (sorry TX) and rode Zaca a lot, no offense Zaca, but this dirt is better! Talked to a bunch of the local riders there and they all said its been really good lately. Good times-thank you ADV!
|
Pirate421
5/24/2018 2:12am
Get out to Cycle Ranch in floresville if you can. I lived in tx for four years and every time I went it was awesome. Best dirt I’ve ever ridden, red loam for days. I miss TX!
ktmdan
5/24/2018 5:34am
I've been wanting to check out ADVMX for a year now. I usually go to Cycle Ranch or Murphy's. Call me crazy but I'm not a huge fan of cycle ranch, but it's the closest track to my house.
wm741
5/24/2018 6:24am
The track was epic last night!

The Shop

5/24/2018 7:41am
You can probably meet Tyler and see him ride his SUSZUKI if you go out to CYCUL RANCH.
AJ565
5/24/2018 7:49am
As the others have said Murphy's is always awesome. Cycle Ranch is still a good track to ride. I've been 2-3 times and the track condition has been different every time. Its actually a little easier to ride after its been worked in though.

Another track to hit up is Spoaks Motopark.

Murphy's
https://youtu.be/JKwLkF8rRqM

Spoaks
https://youtu.be/mgZzfxMrA04

Cycle Ranch
https://youtu.be/yENaNpVDwb4
IWreckALot
5/24/2018 7:55am
Pirate421 wrote:
Get out to Cycle Ranch in floresville if you can. I lived in tx for four years and every time I went it was awesome. Best...
Get out to Cycle Ranch in floresville if you can. I lived in tx for four years and every time I went it was awesome. Best dirt I’ve ever ridden, red loam for days. I miss TX!
Tyler is going to come in hot on this one.
Flip109
5/24/2018 9:09am
AJ565 wrote:
As the others have said Murphy's is always awesome. Cycle Ranch is still a good track to ride. I've been 2-3 times and the track condition...
As the others have said Murphy's is always awesome. Cycle Ranch is still a good track to ride. I've been 2-3 times and the track condition has been different every time. Its actually a little easier to ride after its been worked in though.

Another track to hit up is Spoaks Motopark.

Murphy's
https://youtu.be/JKwLkF8rRqM

Spoaks
https://youtu.be/mgZzfxMrA04

Cycle Ranch
https://youtu.be/yENaNpVDwb4
Nice vids! Man I need to get out to cycle ranch it looks great. Hadn’t been there in 10 Plus years. At spokes your HR was 130 before you ever left the truck lol was excited I guess huh Laughing
AJ565
5/24/2018 9:16am
Flip109 wrote:
Nice vids! Man I need to get out to cycle ranch it looks great. Hadn’t been there in 10 Plus years. At spokes your HR was...
Nice vids! Man I need to get out to cycle ranch it looks great. Hadn’t been there in 10 Plus years. At spokes your HR was 130 before you ever left the truck lol was excited I guess huh Laughing
I've noticed that. When its hot and I'm sitting in the shade in full gear I run around 112bpm. Getting a helmet on and a bike off the stand knowing I'm about to go out it bumps up to the 120-130's every time. My normal resting rate is 48 though so it must just be the adrenaline getting going.
Flip109
5/24/2018 9:34am
Flip109 wrote:
Nice vids! Man I need to get out to cycle ranch it looks great. Hadn’t been there in 10 Plus years. At spokes your HR was...
AJ565 wrote:
I've noticed that. When its hot and I'm sitting in the shade in full gear I run around 112bpm. Getting a helmet on and a bike...
I've noticed that. When its hot and I'm sitting in the shade in full gear I run around 112bpm. Getting a helmet on and a bike off the stand knowing I'm about to go out it bumps up to the 120-130's every time. My normal resting rate is 48 though so it must just be the adrenaline getting going.
Yeah threw me for a loop cause you were getting it around cycle ranch and sitting at 150ish. Mine could very well be the same way I just don’t monitor it. Interesting tho!
AJ565
5/24/2018 11:43am
Flip109 wrote:
Yeah threw me for a loop cause you were getting it around cycle ranch and sitting at 150ish. Mine could very well be the same way...
Yeah threw me for a loop cause you were getting it around cycle ranch and sitting at 150ish. Mine could very well be the same way I just don’t monitor it. Interesting tho!
I think since CR is more wide open all I have to do is hold on and its not as much physical work compared to the other two tracks. Also hydration has a lot to do with it and the more water I drink the week before the lower my HR is when I ride. Weeks that I don't drink as much as I should my HR will run closer to 190. I track my HR with my Garmin watch and it basically just shows a graph, which doesn't help me much. When I got the Garmin camera I could link my chest strap to it and could see real time what my HR was at different parts of the track. It was cool to learn and see what my body was doing and how it improved by changing my cardio at the gym.
ktmdan
5/24/2018 1:40pm
AJ565 wrote:
I think since CR is more wide open all I have to do is hold on and its not as much physical work compared to the...
I think since CR is more wide open all I have to do is hold on and its not as much physical work compared to the other two tracks. Also hydration has a lot to do with it and the more water I drink the week before the lower my HR is when I ride. Weeks that I don't drink as much as I should my HR will run closer to 190. I track my HR with my Garmin watch and it basically just shows a graph, which doesn't help me much. When I got the Garmin camera I could link my chest strap to it and could see real time what my HR was at different parts of the track. It was cool to learn and see what my body was doing and how it improved by changing my cardio at the gym.
Really? I feel like I'm all over the bike doing everything I can to hang on at Cycle Ranch but I can ride laps all day long at Murphy's. I think I might have met you at Murphy's about a year ago? You had an 18' 250sx that you said was wicked powerful and we were both new to San Antonio? I was on a 200xc.
AJ565
5/24/2018 1:59pm
ktmdan wrote:
Really? I feel like I'm all over the bike doing everything I can to hang on at Cycle Ranch but I can ride laps all day...
Really? I feel like I'm all over the bike doing everything I can to hang on at Cycle Ranch but I can ride laps all day long at Murphy's. I think I might have met you at Murphy's about a year ago? You had an 18' 250sx that you said was wicked powerful and we were both new to San Antonio? I was on a 200xc.
I don't think it was that long ago as I got the bike in October, but yes that was me. It might be just me than, my bike feels really harsh at Murphy's and Spoaks, but really plush and just flows under me at Cycle Ranch. I'm working on getting that taken care of soon hopefully.
AJ565
5/24/2018 2:09pm
CamaroAJ is my instagram. Meade is my last name on facebook if you guys want to meet up at the track sometime.
Agent717
5/24/2018 3:29pm
Good to see the scene is alive there. I am planning to move to Austin by end of this year. I'll have to resurrect this thread and meet up with come of you guys.
lumpy790
5/24/2018 6:19pm
Heard yesterday that there is going to be a big Supermoto race by Austin.
Johnny Depp
5/25/2018 12:24pm
I was out 12 hours yesterday at Spoaks, and layed out an alternate grass natural section with lots of elevation changes, 6 turns and 6 straights, about 1/3 of a mile, and a start straight (only 6 months old and never had one). It looks like they are going to run the old and new sections with added sand side by side this weekend, and open Monday. They will just water only on the new section for those that want to shred grass. It should be epic and a very rare opportunity to ride "unprepped" sections. I'll be out Sunday only, and hope to gather up a few others for some start/moto simulations with a 30 minute moto at 10, a 20 minute at 11 and a 10 minute at 12 if anyone wants to join. Fun day only.

Johnny Depp
5/25/2018 2:12pm Edited Date/Time 5/25/2018 2:13pm
I'm still in Moto mode, but will switch to Dual Sport soon, what is your mount? These guys run 1st Sat. of each month and have a good group: http://www.twtex.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=152

Spoaks is going to be fun this weekend, here's part of what I was up to:

Stake driving and tree cutting is a bitch in this heat.

I went by ADV on the way home, it is the nicest I have seen it:
AJ565
5/25/2018 6:43pm
Who’s going where this weekend? I’m thinking about going to Murphy’s tomorrow as they have the most shade lol
Flip109
5/25/2018 6:47pm
Murphys is doing night practice on Friday nights now I think.
AJ565
5/25/2018 7:11pm Edited Date/Time 5/25/2018 7:13pm
Flip109 wrote:
Yes, till 9:30. Full prep on both tracks tomorrow and Sunday. Full prep on main track only on Monday.
Flip109
5/25/2018 7:43pm
Flip109 wrote:
AJ565 wrote:
Yes, till 9:30. Full prep on both tracks tomorrow and Sunday. Full prep on main track only on Monday.
Wish I still lived out that way. I’d be there in a sec! My profile pic is from there. Grew up riding/racing with Will and Harley. Used to be out there all the time till we moved to conroe. Great people and great place. I’ll make it back out there one day soon hopefully.
Johnny Depp
5/25/2018 8:30pm Edited Date/Time 5/25/2018 8:32pm
AJ565 wrote:
Who’s going where this weekend? I’m thinking about going to Murphy’s tomorrow as they have the most shade lol
Spoaks for sure on Sunday! Pretty sure they have the most shade too. Spoaks = Spokes / Oaks. Come on out and say Hi AJ.
AJ565
5/25/2018 9:59pm
AJ565 wrote:
Spoaks for sure on Sunday! Pretty sure they have the most shade too. Spoaks = Spokes / Oaks. Come on out and say Hi AJ.
I don’t think I’ll have enough gas for two days. I’ll see what I can do though. Anybody camping there Saturday night?
Johnny Depp
5/26/2018 5:21am Edited Date/Time 5/26/2018 5:38am
AJ565 wrote:
AJ565 wrote:
I don’t think I’ll have enough gas for two days. I’ll see what I can do though. Anybody camping there Saturday night?
Free primitive camping if anybody wants to. 6 of the best BBQ places in the state within 15 minutes..
WOLF 918
5/26/2018 5:23am
How are the trails at spoakes?
Johnny Depp
5/26/2018 5:43am Edited Date/Time 5/26/2018 5:45am
WOLF 918 wrote:
How are the trails at spoakes?
Great, but limited. 4 miles of single track in the trees from the TORCS race, and 2 miles of fresh tilled double track that was from the SXS event is probably still choppy. In the future look for a small turn track and a Vet track to be added. The main track has an alternate water truck lane for those that want to skip the booters Smile
5/26/2018 12:50pm
ktmdan wrote:
Really? I feel like I'm all over the bike doing everything I can to hang on at Cycle Ranch but I can ride laps all day...
AJ565 wrote:
I don't think it was that long ago as I got the bike in October, but yes that was me. It might be just me than...
I don't think it was that long ago as I got the bike in October, but yes that was me. It might be just me than, my bike feels really harsh at Murphy's and Spoaks, but really plush and just flows under me at Cycle Ranch. I'm working on getting that taken care of soon hopefully.
Welcome to the conundrum.

Murphy's and ADV both have smaller sharper bumps - but adv also has relatively sharp faces and mild landings - so it's hard to dial in perfectly. You get either good bump absorption or good landing hold up but hard to get both nailed.

Cycle has the more rounded shape bump - even if larger they just aren't as harsh...and with the lack of traction comparatively - you can't load the front as hard braking either.

Personally - adv for a night track is pretty impressive when put in that perspective - it's dirt in the summer is nearly impossible to keep water in but doesn't mean the grip isn't good once ruts form.
Murphy's just wont prep deep enough for my tastes and is too fast - but the land is nice and the shade and owners are awesome.

and cycle has its epic days - and is slowly coming back into it's form with the new owner (thank goodness for him)...but it can be a desert when hot out - that sand eats up stupid amounts of water!
AJ565
5/26/2018 2:31pm
I got more fuel for tomorrow. Bike is washed and ready. I still smell though so there's that. I should be there tomorrow hopefully around 9. I'll aim for 8 since he posted that they were going to open early to beat the heat, but you know, sleep.

Post a reply to: Austin TX moto...

The Latest