Australia's first international MX star?

CPR
Edited Date/Time 2/8/2020 3:22am
In Chad Reed's last year, who remembers Australia's first rider to really make it on the international scene?
http://www.motorsportretro.com/2012/03/interview-jeff-leisk/

|
rangot
2/7/2020 1:47am
He was a very big deal in Europe, loved by everybody. And he had the more "american" style of the 500 riders, which was so cool back then compared to Jobé or all the Jo Martens of the world !!!

The Shop

Whitey
2/7/2020 2:09am
I went to a mx school Jeff ran at his farm and the bsa track in the late 70's (actually won a cr80 in a raffle there haha) and had a couple private lessons in 80 and 81 at another local Perth track.

Jeff has always been a stand-up humble human.
2/7/2020 2:21am
Whitey wrote:
I went to a mx school Jeff ran at his farm and the bsa track in the late 70's (actually won a cr80 in a raffle...
I went to a mx school Jeff ran at his farm and the bsa track in the late 70's (actually won a cr80 in a raffle there haha) and had a couple private lessons in 80 and 81 at another local Perth track.

Jeff has always been a stand-up humble human.
He was definitely humble, unlike other more recently successful aussies, and the other aussies in his era had no idea how he went so fast.....

He’s still alive by the way 🤣
mxmaniac
2/7/2020 2:21am
Along with being a stand up humble guy and legend of a racer... Jeff represented KTM after racing very well. We had issues with a couple of kms over the years, spoke to Jeff personally as a customer and he left no stone unturned to make sure there was nothing but positive dealings with KTM Australia.

2/7/2020 2:43am
Craig Dack made a little splash in the UK/Europe around the same time, but Leisk was obviously a bigger deal and with a bit more luck ... and not timing it to clash with a peak level Thorpe/Geboers/Jobe ...could've picked up a World Title
2/7/2020 2:51am
Would have been world champion. Ran out of fuel at opening round. It was even televised in aus...
That was at Valkenswaard wasn't it, if i recall correctly?
2/7/2020 2:52am
Craig Dack made a little splash in the UK/Europe around the same time, but Leisk was obviously a bigger deal and with a bit more luck...
Craig Dack made a little splash in the UK/Europe around the same time, but Leisk was obviously a bigger deal and with a bit more luck ... and not timing it to clash with a peak level Thorpe/Geboers/Jobe ...could've picked up a World Title
Craig Dack was an arrogant wanker though, and plenty of other aussies could beat him anyway.....nothing to do with luck
2/7/2020 2:59am
Would have been world champion. Ran out of fuel at opening round. It was even televised in aus...
Still remember the photo in the ABD mag
Deja New
2/7/2020 3:04am
Craig Dack made a little splash in the UK/Europe around the same time, but Leisk was obviously a bigger deal and with a bit more luck...
Craig Dack was an arrogant wanker though, and plenty of other aussies could beat him anyway.....nothing to do with luck
At the chandler velodrome in the 80’s SX I remember going up to him and wanting an autograph as a kid on press day as I was invited would give anyone the time of day. I walk away and called him a wanker. Was a complete tosser. On race night the crowed was chanting dackies a wanker lol he must of pissed a few fans of. His final round of MX he won the title in the first moto didn’t even line up for the second again disappointing the fans.
Deja New
2/7/2020 3:06am
dirtwalker wrote:
Still remember the photo in the ABD mag
I remember the one in ADB of Dack naked with only a hat covering his junk and girls had to guess what was holding it up to win a date with him lol
Momus
2/7/2020 3:10am
It wasn't Leisky. The first was probably Ray Fisher in the 60s. He won a 100 mph Grass track race in front of 100000 spectators in Germany and is a Hall of Famer.
2/7/2020 3:11am
Deja New wrote:
At the chandler velodrome in the 80’s SX I remember going up to him and wanting an autograph as a kid on press day as I...
At the chandler velodrome in the 80’s SX I remember going up to him and wanting an autograph as a kid on press day as I was invited would give anyone the time of day. I walk away and called him a wanker. Was a complete tosser. On race night the crowed was chanting dackies a wanker lol he must of pissed a few fans of. His final round of MX he won the title in the first moto didn’t even line up for the second again disappointing the fans.
Yep...heard this a lot. Back in those days pros in Australia were paid nothing bar a few, he got paid somehow, the reason I hear is because he was a city boy. There were heaps of counrty boys that could flog him but couldn’t justify travelling across the country for free at their own expense to win an Aussie title. In a lot of places he was 2nd or 3rd to the local gin by a long way. The crowd gave him shit but he got the reward at the end....good on him for that I guess.
Question
2/7/2020 3:16am

I do remember ! A great sx rider too actually, the first non american to win a final at paris bercy supercross while all the big names from the US and Europe where there (like a SXoN moto win). Bonus point, it was one of the craziest race i have ever seen !

Deja New
2/7/2020 3:30am
Question wrote:
I do remember ! A great sx rider too actually, the first non american to win a final at paris bercy supercross while all the big...

I do remember ! A great sx rider too actually, the first non american to win a final at paris bercy supercross while all the big names from the US and Europe where there (like a SXoN moto win). Bonus point, it was one of the craziest race i have ever seen !

Lol I was watching that as you posted it Smile
CPR
2/7/2020 3:37am
It's funny how Leisky is always remembered for his GP results but his results in the states in MX and SX in all the classes he competed were none too shabby! Especially when you look at the company he was in amongst:

Zacka 161
Fantasy
2033rd
2/7/2020 3:39am
Question wrote:
I do remember ! A great sx rider too actually, the first non american to win a final at paris bercy supercross while all the big...

That race was awesome thanks for sharing. Ricky johnsons move near the end was amazing! Its almost like nobody thought of it until he did it
Zacka 161
Fantasy
2033rd
2/7/2020 3:42am
Deja New wrote:
This was awesome night... imagine bradshaws take down of chicken and the Melt down on vital should that happen today....
https://youtu.be/v36jsZqGItw
I would imagine the same meltdown that would have happened if vital existed then...
2/7/2020 3:59am
Deja New wrote:
At the chandler velodrome in the 80’s SX I remember going up to him and wanting an autograph as a kid on press day as I...
Ok. I’m pissed, so excuse me while I pontificate. 1987 aus ax champs at Archerfield speedway. I’m a poor, broke dickhead. Yamaha TT250 shit box (4 stroke). Support class. Fifth in qualifying. Trash and babies thrown in air during final. Crashed. 11th? 1988 . A grade. Poor broke dickhead. CR125 running 3rd in qualifying, crashed. Emergency ward. 1988 mr mx at echo valley Toowoomba, got flogged. My point? Leisky flogged ass and made women’s panties drop at 20 paces. Won 125, 250 and 500 Aussie champs at gum valley, koumala North Queensland mother fuckin best track IN THE WORLD (go there and deny). Gods own country, Great Barrier Reef, rainforest, last paradise.
Did I mention I am pissed? Fuck I love straya
Momus
2/7/2020 4:28am
CPR wrote:
In Chad Reed's last year, who remembers Australia's first rider to really make it on the international scene?
http://www.motorsportretro.com/2012/03/interview-jeff-leisk/

Momus wrote:
Try Ray Fisher mate ;-)
CPR wrote:
Never heard of him but keen to know more Momus.
I was being somewhat tongue in cheek mate. Quick google should have it on Ray Fisher. Probably still a couple of Super Seniors (over 70) in Classic MX in Australia who rode with Ray.
CPR
2/7/2020 4:40am
Deja New wrote:
Ok. I’m pissed, so excuse me while I pontificate. 1987 aus ax champs at Archerfield speedway. I’m a poor, broke dickhead. Yamaha TT250 shit box (4...
Ok. I’m pissed, so excuse me while I pontificate. 1987 aus ax champs at Archerfield speedway. I’m a poor, broke dickhead. Yamaha TT250 shit box (4 stroke). Support class. Fifth in qualifying. Trash and babies thrown in air during final. Crashed. 11th? 1988 . A grade. Poor broke dickhead. CR125 running 3rd in qualifying, crashed. Emergency ward. 1988 mr mx at echo valley Toowoomba, got flogged. My point? Leisky flogged ass and made women’s panties drop at 20 paces. Won 125, 250 and 500 Aussie champs at gum valley, koumala North Queensland mother fuckin best track IN THE WORLD (go there and deny). Gods own country, Great Barrier Reef, rainforest, last paradise.
Did I mention I am pissed? Fuck I love straya
Ha chook not exactly sure what you just said but I know all the tracks you mentioned and was probably there too. The original Echo Valley's the best track by me. Cheers fast chook!
CPR
2/7/2020 4:45am
Momus wrote:
Try Ray Fisher mate ;-)
CPR wrote:
Never heard of him but keen to know more Momus.
Momus wrote:
I was being somewhat tongue in cheek mate. Quick google should have it on Ray Fisher. Probably still a couple of Super Seniors (over 70) in...
I was being somewhat tongue in cheek mate. Quick google should have it on Ray Fisher. Probably still a couple of Super Seniors (over 70) in Classic MX in Australia who rode with Ray.
Fuck ya Momus! 😂 Had never heard of him before but seems he was a legend too.
https://www.speedcafe.com/hall-of-fame-inductees/ray-fisher/
rangot
2/7/2020 4:47am
Deja New wrote:
This was awesome night... imagine bradshaws take down of chicken and the Melt down on vital should that happen today....
https://youtu.be/v36jsZqGItw
I was there in person, it was just crazy and awesome.

Post a reply to: Australia's first international MX star?

The Latest