Related:
Create New Tag
Vadim Vadim
10/7/2017 11:16 PM

Hi everyone! 2018 CRF450R first ride report after 2016.5 250 SXF FE.
First of all I'm very surprised how light it feels on the track, I didn't feel any weight deference from my KTM.
The balance is very good at 106 race sag and standard suspension settings. I'm 180 lbs and almost 6' tall, I feel more comfortable on Honda, because it feels more specious. Turns are good, I feel like it could be better after adjusting a couple of clicks. I can't speak about power, because I switched from 250. Just one thing i don't like about it is how the clutch feels. Overall I really like it right out of the box, but I'm not a fast guy.
Iff anyone has any recommendations for exhaust, clutch etc. please share.

Excuse my english - it's my second language!

Lastander Lastander
10/7/2017 11:54 PM

I have a yosh exhaust on my -17, puts most of the power on top and is loud as a mothereffer.
The stock clutch is useless, im on my fifth clutch in 45 hours.
The discs keeps exploding in to pieces after a couple of hours.
But the tracks in sweden, Holland and generally all over europe are tougher and more demanding as you muricans noticed last weeklaughing

swtwtwtw swtwtwtw
10/8/2017 12:40 AM

MAX has a decent clutch fix. My suggestion is run static sag at 25mm and forget rider sag. FWIW, I ride a 2017 fc250 and when i rode the 2018 crf450 i definitely felt the extra weight
Nice bike though, but I am an old Honda guy.

m.hardesty16 m.hardesty16
10/8/2017 3:58 AM
Lastander wrote:

I have a yosh exhaust on ...more

Well I don’t think anyone should be going through clutch every few hours like than and it seems more american tracks are deemed tougher because of more elevation and especially bigger jumps while european tracks are fast pace with smaller jumps.

Lastander Lastander
10/8/2017 4:22 AM
m.hardesty16 wrote:

Well I don’t think anyone ...more

My teammate is on his fourth, well we spend a few hours a year on Lommel and tracks that share similarities with that all year long, ive been in SoCal for a couple of weeks and ridden the more generic tracks there, but i cant speak for the East coast dirt or anything.
We dont, how do i put it in english, "grind"? our clutches, i mean excessive wear or so, our clutches fail from torque, they have litterally gone in to pieces.

mx317 mx317
10/8/2017 4:44 AM
Lastander wrote:

My teammate is on his ...more

Buy a "Murican" Hinson clutch and problem will be solved.

Take it to the limit, one more time!

Lastander Lastander
10/8/2017 4:47 AM
mx317 wrote:

Buy a "Murican" Hinson ...more

Too pricey for me im afraid, ordered a Recluse

jtiger12 jtiger12
10/8/2017 6:17 AM
Lastander wrote:

m.hardesty16 wrote:

Coty Shock goes through clutches like this as well. I agree that normal guys like us would mostly be ok, lastander didnt mention he has national caliber speed!

Vadim Vadim
10/8/2017 9:27 AM

has anyone tried this?
http://www.barnettclutches.com/new-2017-honda-crf450r-rx-clutch-kits.html

Kenny Lingus Kenny Lingus
10/8/2017 9:30 AM

I replaced the judder spring and related washer/fiber plate with a regular fiber plate. To me it made the clutch feel like it had better dis/engagement. With the judder spring it seemed like the clutch was always slightly grabbing. Going to try mix and match with heavier clutch springs.

Forget an exhaust, send your suspension out and either get the Honda programmer or a re-map. Change the brake fluid. My front brake got mushy pretty easily until I replaced it with better fluid.

We are the sum of a 1,000 lives. What we know is almost nothing at all.

Lastander Lastander
10/8/2017 9:34 AM
Kenny Lingus wrote:

I replaced the judder ...more

Yeah ive rebuilt my clutch also with replacing some discs with a spacer and heavier springs all around, got great bite but unfortunately they tend to explode

10/8/2017 9:47 AM
Kenny Lingus wrote:

I replaced the judder ...more

Lastander wrote:

Yeah ive rebuilt my clutch ...more

That for sure sucks. I used to waste clutches on 2 strokes, I hope I don't have any problems with this one. I have also looked at the Reckluse Torq drive. I'm a long time Honda guy and will admit their clutches are poo-poo.

H4L H4L
10/8/2017 9:50 AM

Have you guys considered a Hinson unit ? Been running a 6 spring unit on a 10 model that has been bullet proof.

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

H4L H4L
10/8/2017 9:57 AM
Vadim wrote:

Hi everyone! 2018 CRF450R ...more

If you don't mind me asking where did you buy at it & what did you pay for it ? The ride reports also claim the Honda having a light feeling when riding even though it is heavier on the scale vs. the KTM / Husky.
I've been talking to a few local dealers in the Bay Area & they all want the suggested price + the fees. I'm waiting for them to start coming down after the new year. The wait is starting to drive me nutz !

brimx153 brimx153
10/8/2017 9:58 AM
swtwtwtw wrote:

MAX has a decent clutch ...more

static sag at 25mm ,is really low for a 450 imo , most are 35 mm to 40 i even know alot of fast rider running stiffer spring with 50 mm static, especially on a honda s or Suzuki s

Vadim Vadim
10/8/2017 10:28 AM
Vadim wrote:

H4L wrote:

If you don't mind me ...more

I spoke to many dealers in the bay area and I got it from Tracy Motorsport for $9800 out of the door. Tell them my friend bought it for 9800, please give me the same price.
It feels a little heavier when I put it on stand, but I didn't feel any difference on a track. I had 2015 YZ450F before and it felt like a tank.

NeedMoto NeedMoto
10/8/2017 10:39 AM
Vadim wrote:

H4L wrote:

Vadim wrote:

I spoke to many dealers in ...more

$9,600 OTD Hollister Honda.

Mx286 Mx286
10/8/2017 10:55 AM
H4L wrote:

Vadim wrote:

NeedMoto wrote:

$9,600 OTD Hollister ...more

Damn it's expensive out there. Called Abernathys in Union City TN and they quoted me $8,800 OTD.

H4L H4L
10/8/2017 11:01 AM
Vadim wrote:

NeedMoto wrote:

Mx286 wrote:

Damn it's expensive out ...more

Yes it is. Silicon Valley !

H4L H4L
10/8/2017 11:04 AM
Vadim wrote:

NeedMoto wrote:

Mx286 wrote:

Damn it's expensive out ...more

I talked to Hollister Honda about a month ago & they quoted me 10,300.00. Thnxz..

10/8/2017 11:06 AM
H4L wrote:

I got mine for $8250 OTD at Southern Powersports in Chattanooga TN. We did buy 2 paid in full. Still, I'd be willing to bet they could ship you one for less than what you guys are getting quoted on the west coast. Hell, maybe I should go down and buy a few and re-sell them.

kiwifan kiwifan
10/8/2017 12:39 PM

Hinson clutch has never let me down, I agree the stock clutch is...fragile, but the rest of the bike makes up for it

Current rides: 2020 CRF450RWE and 2019 TC300
Occasional ride for VMX: 1985 CR500RF
Adventure/Road bike: CRF1000L

David934 David934
10/9/2017 1:29 AM

Congrats going back to japanese bike.

18 Yamaha YZ450F
94 Honda CR 500
90 Honda CR 500
81 Yamaha SR 500
68 BSA Thunderbolt
69 Triumph Tiger 100

Aquafresh Aquafresh
10/9/2017 6:26 AM
swtwtwtw wrote:

MAX has a decent clutch ...more

Do you use 25 static on your FC also?

seth505 seth505
10/9/2017 7:07 AM

What is the actual complaint on the Honda clutch? Is the pressure plate flexy and that causes a vague clutch feel?

Carstensen14 Carstensen14
10/9/2017 7:14 AM

When i got my hinson clutch for the 17', the old man at Hinson told me HRC runs an extra 250cc of oil w/ the 8 plate kit. And i should be fine with 200cc. Been working great ever since. The new clutch seems to widen the friction zone at the lever as well.

Myke Myke
10/9/2017 8:12 AM
Vadim wrote:

H4L wrote:

Kenny Lingus wrote:

I got mine for $8250 OTD ...more

We have to pay sales tax here in CA. So add another 7.5 to 8.5% depending on what city we live in.

Sure we can buy out of state but we won't be able to title it in our name unless we pay the tax.

$400 over list price seems to be the norm here if you call around a bit.

"Who cares about what other people think"

TheOriginalPancakee TheOriginalPancakee
10/9/2017 8:48 AM
Lastander wrote:

m.hardesty16 wrote:

jtiger12 wrote:

Coty Shock goes through ...more

Shock rides his bike like a dummy he’s first gear pinned everywhere. Can hear his rev limiter from Cali

10/9/2017 9:55 AM
Myke wrote:

We have to pay sales tax ...more

Do you have to pay tax even if you drive and get it in another state to get the title? I live in NY (second worse state for bureaucratic bs) and the title was mailed to me. Not to say I wouldn't be surprised to get a tax bill in the future. If I bought it in NY, which I coudn't have at the time because nobody had them yet, I was told that getting two was tough and it would be basically MSRP plus tax (8%) and prep. So it would have been over 10k.

early early
10/9/2017 10:06 AM
Kenny Lingus wrote:

Do you have to pay tax ...more

You sure that wont be a tennessee title they mail you?

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry