Back on Japanese 2018 CRF450R

Vadim
Edited Date/Time 10/9/2017 7:15am
Hi everyone! 2018 CRF450R first ride report after 2016.5 250 SXF FE.
First of all I'm very surprised how light it feels on the track, I didn't feel any weight deference from my KTM.
The balance is very good at 106 race sag and standard suspension settings. I'm 180 lbs and almost 6' tall, I feel more comfortable on Honda, because it feels more specious. Turns are good, I feel like it could be better after adjusting a couple of clicks. I can't speak about power, because I switched from 250. Just one thing i don't like about it is how the clutch feels. Overall I really like it right out of the box, but I'm not a fast guy.
Iff anyone has any recommendations for exhaust, clutch etc. please share.

|
Lastander
10/7/2017 11:54pm
I have a yosh exhaust on my -17, puts most of the power on top and is loud as a mothereffer.
The stock clutch is useless, im on my fifth clutch in 45 hours.
The discs keeps exploding in to pieces after a couple of hours.
But the tracks in sweden, Holland and generally all over europe are tougher and more demanding as you muricans noticed last weekLaughing
swtwtwtw
10/8/2017 12:40am
MAX has a decent clutch fix. My suggestion is run static sag at 25mm and forget rider sag. FWIW, I ride a 2017 fc250 and when i rode the 2018 crf450 i definitely felt the extra weight
Nice bike though, but I am an old Honda guy.
10/8/2017 3:58am
Lastander wrote:
I have a yosh exhaust on my -17, puts most of the power on top and is loud as a mothereffer. The stock clutch is useless...
I have a yosh exhaust on my -17, puts most of the power on top and is loud as a mothereffer.
But the tracks in sweden, Holland and generally all over europe are tougher and more demanding as you muricans noticed last weekLaughing
Well I don’t think anyone should be going through clutch every few hours like than and it seems more american tracks are deemed tougher because of more elevation and especially bigger jumps while european tracks are fast pace with smaller jumps.
Lastander
10/8/2017 4:22am
Well I don’t think anyone should be going through clutch every few hours like than and it seems more american tracks are deemed tougher because of...
Well I don’t think anyone should be going through clutch every few hours like than and it seems more american tracks are deemed tougher because of more elevation and especially bigger jumps while european tracks are fast pace with smaller jumps.
My teammate is on his fourth, well we spend a few hours a year on Lommel and tracks that share similarities with that all year long, ive been in SoCal for a couple of weeks and ridden the more generic tracks there, but i cant speak for the East coast dirt or anything.
We dont, how do i put it in english, "grind"? our clutches, i mean excessive wear or so, our clutches fail from torque, they have litterally gone in to pieces.

The Shop

mx317
10/8/2017 4:44am
Lastander wrote:
My teammate is on his fourth, well we spend a few hours a year on Lommel and tracks that share similarities with that all year long...
My teammate is on his fourth, well we spend a few hours a year on Lommel and tracks that share similarities with that all year long, ive been in SoCal for a couple of weeks and ridden the more generic tracks there, but i cant speak for the East coast dirt or anything.
We dont, how do i put it in english, "grind"? our clutches, i mean excessive wear or so, our clutches fail from torque, they have litterally gone in to pieces.
Buy a "Murican" Hinson clutch and problem will be solved.
Lastander
10/8/2017 4:47am
mx317 wrote:
Buy a "Murican" Hinson clutch and problem will be solved.
Too pricey for me im afraid, ordered a Recluse
jtiger12
10/8/2017 6:17am Edited Date/Time 10/8/2017 6:56am
Lastander wrote:
I have a yosh exhaust on my -17, puts most of the power on top and is loud as a mothereffer. The stock clutch is useless...
Well I don’t think anyone should be going through clutch every few hours like than and it seems more american tracks are deemed tougher because of...
Coty Shock goes through clutches like this as well. I agree that normal guys like us would mostly be ok, lastander didnt mention he has national caliber speed!
Kenny Lingus
10/8/2017 9:30am
I replaced the judder spring and related washer/fiber plate with a regular fiber plate. To me it made the clutch feel like it had better dis/engagement. With the judder spring it seemed like the clutch was always slightly grabbing. Going to try mix and match with heavier clutch springs.

Forget an exhaust, send your suspension out and either get the Honda programmer or a re-map. Change the brake fluid. My front brake got mushy pretty easily until I replaced it with better fluid.
Lastander
10/8/2017 9:34am
I replaced the judder spring and related washer/fiber plate with a regular fiber plate. To me it made the clutch feel like it had better dis/engagement...
I replaced the judder spring and related washer/fiber plate with a regular fiber plate. To me it made the clutch feel like it had better dis/engagement. With the judder spring it seemed like the clutch was always slightly grabbing. Going to try mix and match with heavier clutch springs.

Forget an exhaust, send your suspension out and either get the Honda programmer or a re-map. Change the brake fluid. My front brake got mushy pretty easily until I replaced it with better fluid.
Yeah ive rebuilt my clutch also with replacing some discs with a spacer and heavier springs all around, got great bite but unfortunately they tend to explode
Kenny Lingus
10/8/2017 9:47am
I replaced the judder spring and related washer/fiber plate with a regular fiber plate. To me it made the clutch feel like it had better dis/engagement...

Lastander wrote:
Yeah ive rebuilt my clutch also with replacing some discs with a spacer and heavier springs all around, got great bite but unfortunately they tend to...
Yeah ive rebuilt my clutch also with replacing some discs with a spacer and heavier springs all around, got great bite but unfortunately they tend to explode
That for sure sucks. I used to waste clutches on 2 strokes, I hope I don't have any problems with this one. I have also looked at the Reckluse Torq drive. I'm a long time Honda guy and will admit their clutches are poo-poo.
H4L
10/8/2017 9:50am
Have you guys considered a Hinson unit ? Been running a 6 spring unit on a 10 model that has been bullet proof.
H4L
10/8/2017 9:57am
Vadim wrote:
Hi everyone! 2018 CRF450R first ride report after 2016.5 250 SXF FE. First of all I'm very surprised how light it feels on the track, I...
First of all I'm very surprised how light it feels on the track, I didn't feel any weight deference from my KTM.
The balance is very good at 106 race sag and standard suspension settings. I'm 180 lbs and almost 6' tall, I feel more comfortable on Honda, because it feels more specious. Turns are good, I feel like it could be better after adjusting a couple of clicks. I can't speak about power, because I switched from 250. Just one thing i don't like about it is how the clutch feels. Overall I really like it right out of the box, but I'm not a fast guy.

If you don't mind me asking where did you buy at it & what did you pay for it ? The ride reports also claim the Honda having a light feeling when riding even though it is heavier on the scale vs. the KTM / Husky.
I've been talking to a few local dealers in the Bay Area & they all want the suggested price + the fees. I'm waiting for them to start coming down after the new year. The wait is starting to drive me nutz !
brimx153
10/8/2017 9:58am
swtwtwtw wrote:
MAX has a decent clutch fix. My suggestion is run static sag at 25mm and forget rider sag. FWIW, I ride a 2017 fc250 and when...
MAX has a decent clutch fix. My suggestion is run static sag at 25mm and forget rider sag. FWIW, I ride a 2017 fc250 and when i rode the 2018 crf450 i definitely felt the extra weight
static sag at 25mm ,is really low for a 450 imo , most are 35 mm to 40 i even know alot of fast rider running stiffer spring with 50 mm static, especially on a honda s or Suzuki s
Vadim
10/8/2017 10:28am
Vadim wrote:
Hi everyone! 2018 CRF450R first ride report after 2016.5 250 SXF FE. First of all I'm very surprised how light it feels on the track, I...

H4L wrote:
If you don't mind me asking where did you buy at it & what did you pay for it ? The ride reports also claim the...
If you don't mind me asking where did you buy at it & what did you pay for it ? The ride reports also claim the Honda having a light feeling when riding even though it is heavier on the scale vs. the KTM / Husky.
I've been talking to a few local dealers in the Bay Area & they all want the suggested price + the fees. I'm waiting for them to start coming down after the new year. The wait is starting to drive me nutz !
I spoke to many dealers in the bay area and I got it from Tracy Motorsport for $9800 out of the door. Tell them my friend bought it for 9800, please give me the same price.
It feels a little heavier when I put it on stand, but I didn't feel any difference on a track. I had 2015 YZ450F before and it felt like a tank.
NeedMoto
10/8/2017 10:39am
Vadim wrote:

H4L wrote:
If you don't mind me asking where did you buy at it & what did you pay for it ? The ride reports also claim the...
Vadim wrote:
I spoke to many dealers in the bay area and I got it from Tracy Motorsport for $9800 out of the door. Tell them my friend...
I spoke to many dealers in the bay area and I got it from Tracy Motorsport for $9800 out of the door. Tell them my friend bought it for 9800, please give me the same price.
It feels a little heavier when I put it on stand, but I didn't feel any difference on a track. I had 2015 YZ450F before and it felt like a tank.
$9,600 OTD Hollister Honda.
Mx286
10/8/2017 10:55am
H4L wrote:
Vadim wrote:
I spoke to many dealers in the bay area and I got it from Tracy Motorsport for $9800 out of the door. Tell them my friend...
NeedMoto wrote:
Damn it's expensive out there. Called Abernathys in Union City TN and they quoted me $8,800 OTD.
H4L
10/8/2017 11:01am
Vadim wrote:
NeedMoto wrote:
Mx286 wrote:
Damn it's expensive out there. Called Abernathys in Union City TN and they quoted me $8,800 OTD.
Yes it is. Silicon Valley !
H4L
10/8/2017 11:04am
Vadim wrote:
NeedMoto wrote:
Mx286 wrote:
I talked to Hollister Honda about a month ago & they quoted me 10,300.00. Thnxz..
Kenny Lingus
10/8/2017 11:06am
H4L wrote:
I got mine for $8250 OTD at Southern Powersports in Chattanooga TN. We did buy 2 paid in full. Still, I'd be willing to bet they could ship you one for less than what you guys are getting quoted on the west coast. Hell, maybe I should go down and buy a few and re-sell them.
kiwifan
10/8/2017 12:39pm
Hinson clutch has never let me down, I agree the stock clutch is...fragile, but the rest of the bike makes up for it
10/9/2017 6:26am
swtwtwtw wrote:
MAX has a decent clutch fix. My suggestion is run static sag at 25mm and forget rider sag. FWIW, I ride a 2017 fc250 and when...
Do you use 25 static on your FC also?
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
10/9/2017 7:07am
What is the actual complaint on the Honda clutch? Is the pressure plate flexy and that causes a vague clutch feel?
10/9/2017 7:14am Edited Date/Time 10/9/2017 7:15am
When i got my hinson clutch for the 17', the old man at Hinson told me HRC runs an extra 250cc of oil w/ the 8 plate kit. And i should be fine with 200cc. Been working great ever since. The new clutch seems to widen the friction zone at the lever as well.
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
10/9/2017 8:12am
H4L wrote:
I got mine for $8250 OTD at Southern Powersports in Chattanooga TN. We did buy 2 paid in full. Still, I'd be willing to bet they...
I got mine for $8250 OTD at Southern Powersports in Chattanooga TN. We did buy 2 paid in full. Still, I'd be willing to bet they could ship you one for less than what you guys are getting quoted on the west coast. Hell, maybe I should go down and buy a few and re-sell them.
We have to pay sales tax here in CA. So add another 7.5 to 8.5% depending on what city we live in.

Sure we can buy out of state but we won't be able to title it in our name unless we pay the tax.

$400 over list price seems to be the norm here if you call around a bit.
10/9/2017 8:48am
Lastander wrote:
jtiger12 wrote:
Coty Shock goes through clutches like this as well. I agree that normal guys like us would mostly be ok, lastander didnt mention he has national...
Coty Shock goes through clutches like this as well. I agree that normal guys like us would mostly be ok, lastander didnt mention he has national caliber speed!
Shock rides his bike like a dummy he’s first gear pinned everywhere. Can hear his rev limiter from Cali
Kenny Lingus
10/9/2017 9:55am
Myke wrote:
We have to pay sales tax here in CA. So add another 7.5 to 8.5% depending on what city we live in. Sure we can buy...
We have to pay sales tax here in CA. So add another 7.5 to 8.5% depending on what city we live in.

Sure we can buy out of state but we won't be able to title it in our name unless we pay the tax.

$400 over list price seems to be the norm here if you call around a bit.
Do you have to pay tax even if you drive and get it in another state to get the title? I live in NY (second worse state for bureaucratic bs) and the title was mailed to me. Not to say I wouldn't be surprised to get a tax bill in the future. If I bought it in NY, which I coudn't have at the time because nobody had them yet, I was told that getting two was tough and it would be basically MSRP plus tax (8%) and prep. So it would have been over 10k.
early
Fantasy
2231st
10/9/2017 10:06am
Do you have to pay tax even if you drive and get it in another state to get the title? I live in NY (second worse...
Do you have to pay tax even if you drive and get it in another state to get the title? I live in NY (second worse state for bureaucratic bs) and the title was mailed to me. Not to say I wouldn't be surprised to get a tax bill in the future. If I bought it in NY, which I coudn't have at the time because nobody had them yet, I was told that getting two was tough and it would be basically MSRP plus tax (8%) and prep. So it would have been over 10k.
You sure that wont be a tennessee title they mail you?

Post a reply to: Back on Japanese 2018 CRF450R

The Latest