Back yard MX track

Tryhard
4/9/2018 10:09am Edited Date/Time 4/10/2018 10:26am
So I am looking to build a backyard MX track , reason being that i find myself riding alone at my local practice track alot . And it is just super sketchy at times , the scene here is dying and i work weird hours and barely have anyone to ride with .

Anyways , my question is to some of you that have a backyard track . I will be renting some equipment probably just 1 piece at a time , no factory budget here just blue collar shift worker . What would be the most worth while piece of equipment to rent ? Back-hoe , Skidsteer on tracks , Mini Excavator ? i know i can make all work im decently proficient with equipment , but i have never built a track . What would be my best bang for my bucks ? i have plenty of built up dirt from when they cleared my property .
|
billyp330
4/9/2018 10:17am Edited Date/Time 4/9/2018 10:19am
Dozer or tracked skidsteer. If the dirt doesn't need to be moved far then dozer bc you can push it around better with dozer short distances, if you have to move it a ways then you'll need the bucket to scoop it and move it
Tryhard
4/9/2018 10:19am
billyp330 wrote:
Dozer or tracked skidsteer. If the dirt doesn't need to be moved far then dozer bc you can push it around better with dozer short distances...
Dozer or tracked skidsteer. If the dirt doesn't need to be moved far then dozer bc you can push it around better with dozer short distances, if you have to move it a ways then you'll need the bucket to scoop it and move it
Okay i will definatly take that into consideration as well , the dozers here are pretty expensive to rent . And i was considering a 1 week rental for what im doing . I guess a dozer could make it much quicker . maybe have to wait a bit longer to be able to afford it .
Hammer 663s
4/9/2018 10:20am
I always start with a dozer. JD650 or a Cat D4/D3 to shape and pack down all the jumps, build corners, and rip the main line. Then I get a 4x4 tractor with a bucket and a tiller to do all the finish prep. I also had a buddy with a skid steer and he helped out a lot, but that's not a must have. It's really difficult to do it all from scratch with only one piece of gear.

The other thing I do is find an experienced track builder for stage 1 dozer work. It is a lot harder to shape faces and make tables, whoops, and corners than you think. I'm decently proficient too, but that's not enough. You waste too much time if you are not a pro. It's worth the extra $4-500 in labor. Have a beer and a sandwich for him at lunch and he will treat you right.

Mike

Tryhard
4/9/2018 10:29am
I always start with a dozer. JD650 or a Cat D4/D3 to shape and pack down all the jumps, build corners, and rip the main line...
I always start with a dozer. JD650 or a Cat D4/D3 to shape and pack down all the jumps, build corners, and rip the main line. Then I get a 4x4 tractor with a bucket and a tiller to do all the finish prep. I also had a buddy with a skid steer and he helped out a lot, but that's not a must have. It's really difficult to do it all from scratch with only one piece of gear.

The other thing I do is find an experienced track builder for stage 1 dozer work. It is a lot harder to shape faces and make tables, whoops, and corners than you think. I'm decently proficient too, but that's not enough. You waste too much time if you are not a pro. It's worth the extra $4-500 in labor. Have a beer and a sandwich for him at lunch and he will treat you right.

Mike

I have been wanting this for quite a while , i guess i never considered all the factors . Im on a limited budget . Im not looking to do anything on a large scale , Just something to ride to keep me happy . Couple jumps and a couple berms nothing serious. I will start looking into some track builders and check out some pricing and see what a figure would be looking like for a stage 1 .

The Shop

kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
4/9/2018 10:32am
These poll/opinon threads usually seem to get a lot of posts.

Anyone able to help me with acronyms?
Tryhard
4/9/2018 10:37am
kzizok wrote:
These poll/opinon threads usually seem to get a lot of posts.

Anyone able to help me with acronyms?
And u continue to add to the post count , with no complete thought or sensible statement made ..
Hammer 663s
4/9/2018 10:42am
Tryhard wrote:
I have been wanting this for quite a while , i guess i never considered all the factors . Im on a limited budget . Im...
I have been wanting this for quite a while , i guess i never considered all the factors . Im on a limited budget . Im not looking to do anything on a large scale , Just something to ride to keep me happy . Couple jumps and a couple berms nothing serious. I will start looking into some track builders and check out some pricing and see what a figure would be looking like for a stage 1 .
My budget was limited too. Figure on $2k for a weekend of a dozer rental (delivery/pickup/fuel), with 8-12 hours of operator time. That's what it cost me, and I was riding the next weekend. I did have access to a good operator friend who gave me a break on labor.

Then figure at least $1k a year for repairs, rework, improvements. Plus add $$$ for materials - you'll end up wanting some sand or wood chips to till in to the native dirt to make it better. Unless you already have perfect dirt. Wink

Then you'll want your own tractor. And a water truck. And candles at the finish line jump and Monster Girls. It never ends.

Over 5 years I was in well over $10k in work, tools, materials. It was worth every dime. Smile

M
Tryhard
4/9/2018 10:47am
My budget was limited too. Figure on $2k for a weekend of a dozer rental (delivery/pickup/fuel), with 8-12 hours of operator time. That's what it cost...
My budget was limited too. Figure on $2k for a weekend of a dozer rental (delivery/pickup/fuel), with 8-12 hours of operator time. That's what it cost me, and I was riding the next weekend. I did have access to a good operator friend who gave me a break on labor.

Then figure at least $1k a year for repairs, rework, improvements. Plus add $$$ for materials - you'll end up wanting some sand or wood chips to till in to the native dirt to make it better. Unless you already have perfect dirt. Wink

Then you'll want your own tractor. And a water truck. And candles at the finish line jump and Monster Girls. It never ends.

Over 5 years I was in well over $10k in work, tools, materials. It was worth every dime. Smile

M
I am sure it was well worth it , I have about a .75 acre spot that im planning to put this . It is currently covered with trees but I am planning to push those over myself with an excavator . The soil here is okay , mostly sand /clay , but it will most defintly need to be improved . I am not looking for anything professional quality per say . And your track from the pictures most def looks that , very awesome i may add . But something small to start with . I guess i will continue to ponder on the situation and wait another couple months before i plan to do anything .
Hammer 663s
4/9/2018 10:55am
Tryhard wrote:
I am sure it was well worth it , I have about a .75 acre spot that im planning to put this . It is currently...
I am sure it was well worth it , I have about a .75 acre spot that im planning to put this . It is currently covered with trees but I am planning to push those over myself with an excavator . The soil here is okay , mostly sand /clay , but it will most defintly need to be improved . I am not looking for anything professional quality per say . And your track from the pictures most def looks that , very awesome i may add . But something small to start with . I guess i will continue to ponder on the situation and wait another couple months before i plan to do anything .
I'm not sure 3/4 of an acre is worth the time/$$$. You can't do much with that. Mine was 2 acres or so and lap times were only 1 minute. IMHO you need a minimum of 600x300 feet for riding big bike. Otherwise you'll never get out of 1st gear.

Maybe a small turn track or a circle plus a figure 8? Work those turns. Any idiot can jump. Wink

M
Tryhard
4/9/2018 11:11am
I'm not sure 3/4 of an acre is worth the time/$$$. You can't do much with that. Mine was 2 acres or so and lap times...
I'm not sure 3/4 of an acre is worth the time/$$$. You can't do much with that. Mine was 2 acres or so and lap times were only 1 minute. IMHO you need a minimum of 600x300 feet for riding big bike. Otherwise you'll never get out of 1st gear.

Maybe a small turn track or a circle plus a figure 8? Work those turns. Any idiot can jump. Wink

M
I think maybe im going to clear it , because i have 1.5 in total that can be cleared . Then go to the drawing board then , I realize now im not even the slightest bit prepared .
DA498
4/9/2018 11:15am
Figure 8 and save your money, 3/4 acre isn’t much.
dedi684
4/9/2018 12:00pm
Did mine all alone with a tractor with bucket and disks

Maxjeff
Fantasy
3454th
4/9/2018 12:07pm
A tracked skid steer with a dozer attachment and a mini excavator. I have been in the grading business for 20 years and I sold my dozer and just use a track loader, they are faster and easier than a dozer. If you can get a roller for it, it makes it even easier.
Maxjeff
Fantasy
3454th
4/9/2018 12:08pm
I meant a tiller, not a roller.
Adam43
4/9/2018 12:25pm

Built almost entirely with an Ag loader and scraper.
kb228
4/9/2018 12:30pm
I seen some cultivators online for $600 that you can pull behind a quad or truck
Tryhard
4/9/2018 1:18pm
I will find someway to make it work for as cheap as possible , im not looking for anything serious as i stated before i just want a couple of jumps and a couple berms . I will make due with what land i have , It's hard enough for me to find anyone to ride with these days . I went to one practice day last year at another track , and im not sure if it was just me , but everyone there was a snobby dick . Sad part is ive been riding that track since 98 and had been away for a while . Not to into guys jumping over your head and scrubbing there back tire into you , id rather just stay at home then be laid up becuase of some rich punk kids ... Basiclly just want something to have fun on when i cant find anyone to ride at the practice track with .
dirtmike86
4/9/2018 1:48pm
Adam43 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/04/09/254551/s1200_15079097_10154851241164548_4926069005375159234_n.jpg[/img] Built almost entirely with an Ag loader and scraper.

Built almost entirely with an Ag loader and scraper.
Screw california. Id never leave home if i had that at my house.
KDXGarage
4/9/2018 9:26pm
I suggest you make a track and ride it before you add jumps or berms or things that require heavy equipment.
4/9/2018 10:19pm
If you had more acreage and good natural terrain, I agree the dozer is the way to go. Being able to angle the blade can make cutting in a natural terrain type track super easy. For such a small space you might consider a 6 to 8k pound tracked skidsteer (like a Bobcat 595). Around here you can rent for about $300 a day, about $1100 a week plus fuel and delivery. They can do quite a bit, but on 0.75 acres laying it our really well and maximizing every square inch of that space will be really key to make it worth while. For comparison sake, I think supercross tracks fit into stadiums that are about 2 acres or so of field space. A football field is 1.3 acres including the end zones. Don't let anyone discourage you if you want to make it happen, but don't forget about clearance from neighbors and what not. Good luck!
Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1673rd
4/10/2018 5:18am
We built a small practice track on an acre and a half. Consider how you're going to lay it out to get the best use of your space. Our pasture is basically square so we did a couple of runs with jumps diagonally so you're not entirely 1st gear all the time. At one time we had crossing diagonal runs over a table top you could jump from any side, but that only works if you have one or two bikes at most on the track. You can also do a section of turn track as one of your areas without any jumps that, to me at least, was one of the most fun sections. And as others have said building it is one thing, upkeep is another. Good luck and have fun and keep it on 2 wheels!
Turbojez
4/10/2018 6:02am
KDXGarage wrote:
I suggest you make a track and ride it before you add jumps or berms or things that require heavy equipment.
This. Get some traffic cones, put them where you want to have the turns, Ride, move them ride, move them some more ride until you have some nice ruts, then get a dozer and build a couple of jumps. Figure out first if the terrain is big enough to be worth the investment. You'll also have a base line.
Muezh
4/10/2018 6:18am
I would first asses what type of soil you have and what type of elevation changes if any.

You don't want to build a track on flat ground that already is prone to flooding or holding water.

The track i currently help run is a mix of hard pack and sandy and has all kinds of elevation changes. So our only need is a dozer.

Im then probably contacting Dream Tracks or someone who can design a track based on your specs of dirt and elevation changes, neighbors, etc. etc

If my backyard is all flat Im renting an excavator first to dig a nice big pond. The dirt can help build a solid pad on which to build the track and also use the dirt for the jumps. Bonus is you have a pond for water to keep the dust down.

After all the dirt is dug out I'd then use a dozer.
Moto88
4/10/2018 7:39am Edited Date/Time 4/10/2018 7:45am
Dozer, for sure! You will get more done quicker, if you have that option. I recently rented a 460 dozer, dropped off Friday, picked up Monday, put 8 hours on meter. Got way more done than I could have on a skid steer. Dozer cost me $450 which included delivery (18 miles away), fuel used was 17 gallons. Be creative, you can make something fun in a small area. You don't need straight always, that'll just piss off neighbors (which sounds like you don't have room for). However---if you mostly just need to move your stock piled dirt, something w a bucket may be better as a dozer isn't the best option for that.
Moto88
4/10/2018 7:47am
billyp330 wrote:
Dozer or tracked skidsteer. If the dirt doesn't need to be moved far then dozer bc you can push it around better with dozer short distances...
X2
jayB22
Fantasy
2017th
4/10/2018 8:37am
This is mostly just ridden in. I have a compact tractor with loader and cultivator to rip it up a few times a year for maintenance. hand full of single jumps for fun. Gets the job done and I can ride whenever I want out in my back yard.

Had the town drop off a couple loads of dirt when they were digging the ditches down my street and they needed a place for the soil.

chase4372
4/10/2018 9:04am
you said that your land is mostly wooded, first thing I would do is walk the land and mark a layout that minimizes the number of tree's that need to be removed, consider the fact that any sizeable trees in your way will need to be either cut down and stumps/roots removed, or if you end up with a heavy enough excavator or dozer you can essentially push them over and push or dig out the stumps. Based on the fact that you just want something simple and cheap, I suggest that you plan the layout that minimizes the tree removal needed. If you decide that you don't have to remove too many trees, then I would plan on renting just a large tracked skid loader, otherwise known as a compact loader. Tracked skids have come a long way, these days the largest ones have over 100hp ( more than a small dozer, such as a D4-5), also with high flow auxiliary hydraulics you can attach every implement you need. Obviously you will have a bucket, but you can rent a stump grinder, brush mower, Harley rake, forks or a grapple for moving trees and brush, even a backhoe attachment and dozed Blade. Obviously all of these attachments don't come free, but they're all available for rental, and can be utilized with one machine.. If you decide to clear all of the land, and you have large enough trees, contact a local logging company or lumber/pulp mill. If the trees on your property are valuable to them, you can possibly work a deal for them to clear cut the trees, and in exchange for the timber or trees that are of value to them, they pay you by removing all of the brush and stumps that would be in your way. Obviously if your land doesn't have any trees of value to them, or enough trees of value, then that's not going to work. It's worth considering, here in MN we have lots of oak trees, oak is excellent firewood, people make a living selling firewood as a heat source for our long shitty winters, those people will come hack down trees on your property all day long... There are a million ways to skin a cat, and as you have no doubt read there are endless ways to build a track and move or shape dirt. My opinion, plan accordingly to your space, budget, and needs, and when you're ready, rent a large Tracked skid along with the attachments that you need, and go to work. The other upside to a skid loader versus a dozer or excavator is that with pilot controls, you will become extremely effective at operating the machine in no time. This is just my opinion, I'm not hating on any others input. Good luck and have fun with it.
Tryhard
4/10/2018 10:26am
Im working on dropping all the trees today , ive got some oaks i can sell for firewood to redeem some cost of the equipment , As for my terrain its on a nice grade with good drainage , soil is mostly sand as im very close to the water . have nice rich topsoil and black dirt availible to me as well . once i get all the trees cut im going to remove the stumps and assess and mark out what i have for any idea . Thanks everyone for all the nice comments and suggestions !

Post a reply to: Back yard MX track

The Latest