Banned tear offs.

MZ193
12/22/2019 11:17am Edited Date/Time 12/23/2019 11:23am
In italy, for the 2020 season FMI decided to ban tear off from its events to prevent pollution. If they catch you using them during a race, you have a 50€ penalty to pay at the end of the day.

In my opinion this is dangerous, lenses are better in 95% of the situations over roll off.
Limiting vision to racers is very dangerous.
Lenses are less than 10% of the pollution in a motocross track, if you consider the gas for the trucks to prep the track, the oil and gas the bike burn, and stuff like that.

What do you think/what would you do?
Has anything similar happened somewhere else and how did it end?
|
Brad460
Fantasy
807th
12/22/2019 11:25am
Sounds like an opportunity to invent a biodegradable tear off...
tek14
12/22/2019 11:32am
Belgium or Holland have no tear off rules also and same goes to all FIM enduro events.
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2425th
12/22/2019 11:34am
That rule has been in place in Australia for a few years now
MotoChris
12/22/2019 11:37am
Brad460 wrote:
Exactly my thought when this subject first came up.

The Shop

harescrambled
Fantasy
1864th
12/22/2019 11:42am
tek14 wrote:
Belgium or Holland have no tear off rules also and same goes to all FIM enduro events.
The JNCC in Japan has the same rule..no tearoffs. Also disposable water bottle systems like used in GNCC here
kb228
12/22/2019 11:49am
Roll offs..
Ramrod
Fantasy
1880th
12/22/2019 12:15pm
I know it would be a tough adjustment perhaps but the litter from tear offs is a pain in the ass to clean up. If I’m woods riding I keep my tear offs rather throw them down.
chump6784
12/22/2019 12:16pm
Australia also brought in this rule. Everyone just runs roll offs now. The only issue with this is in really muddy conditions the roll off film tends to get pulled out of the canister.
The world has gone nuts about plastic pollution in the last couple years, this is the easiest way for the moto community to address that
12/22/2019 12:39pm
roll off film still needs to be trashed so it only stopping track pollution not real world pollution. there has been a bio tear off but they are not cheap.

bring me to think how stupid/annoys me when these ama pros AFTER a race rip half a dozen tears offs off so pointless and see it every race
JM485
12/22/2019 12:48pm
Ramrod wrote:
I know it would be a tough adjustment perhaps but the litter from tear offs is a pain in the ass to clean up. If I’m...
I know it would be a tough adjustment perhaps but the litter from tear offs is a pain in the ass to clean up. If I’m woods riding I keep my tear offs rather throw them down.
I would really hope everyone else does the same when they’re riding off-road, you’d think it would be common sense.
Bruce372
12/22/2019 12:49pm
Brad460 wrote:
Bingo.
12/22/2019 12:52pm
Tearoff's littering tracks is stupid. At least with roll off's you can dispose of the film properly. It sounds like a good idea and more series should jump on board. Down the road goggle brands would be forced to come up with even better roll off systems. It's win win.
MZ193
12/22/2019 1:04pm
I just don’t get it. Dumb ass rules. I’m okay with saving the world from pollution but i cant stand this rule when:
-At the track used tires are everywhere, and sometimes they’re thrown in rivers.
-Track owner are using super old trucks, which consume as a V12 5000cc motor.

People at the stadium are throwing shit everywhere, at the end of the day, the stadium is cleaned by the promoter of the event. Why in motocross should i stop using tear off? I’m okay with paying a little surplus for a guy that at the end of the day walks down the track and pick the lenses.

Also, if talking about pollution, a pad/mat under every bike should be a must. But i see none using them, if not in their garages..
Helda
12/22/2019 1:04pm
aaryn #234 wrote:
I think they pulled back on it? At least in Queensland we are allowed to run them.
12/22/2019 1:12pm
MZ193 wrote:
I just don’t get it. Dumb ass rules. I’m okay with saving the world from pollution but i cant stand this rule when: -At the track...
I just don’t get it. Dumb ass rules. I’m okay with saving the world from pollution but i cant stand this rule when:
-At the track used tires are everywhere, and sometimes they’re thrown in rivers.

People at the stadium are throwing shit everywhere, at the end of the day, the stadium is cleaned by the promoter of the event. Why in motocross should i stop using tear off? I’m okay with paying a little surplus for a guy that at the end of the day walks down the track and pick the lenses.

Also, if talking about pollution, a pad/mat under every bike should be a must. But i see none using them, if not in their garages..
People throwing tires in the river? Sounds like pretty shitty people in your area. Sounds like the people in your area have no respect for the land and that it has to be mandated by the organization because dip shits cant clean up after them selfs. Sounds pretty terrible and my guess is its not about pollution its about littering. Are you going to pick up the tear offs after you'r done riding? no? Well then you shouldn't use them, its simple. To think that you can throw trash on the ground and not pick it up is ridiculous
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2425th
12/22/2019 1:15pm
aaryn #234 wrote:
Helda wrote:
I think they pulled back on it? At least in Queensland we are allowed to run them.
Clubs / Venues can see exemption but they need approval from local council / Government then apply to their state body.

There are no track here in SA that allow them, with all but one metro track being near national parks or farm land, there is more than just the pollution to worry about, apparently eating tear-offs is not great for animals.

As far as I know it has been in place for Off-Road / Enduro racing in Australia for ever, as long as I have raced Off-Road in South Aus we have not been able to run Tear-Offs.

davis224
Fantasy
182nd
12/22/2019 1:18pm
This got me thinking, would a helmet with a built in/exchangeable lens work? You could make it so you have a full field of vision, and a larger area to be cleared by a roll of system. Has this ever been tried?
Markee
Fantasy
2006th
12/22/2019 1:27pm

MZ193
12/22/2019 1:36pm
MZ193 wrote:
I just don’t get it. Dumb ass rules. I’m okay with saving the world from pollution but i cant stand this rule when: -At the track...

People throwing tires in the river? Sounds like pretty shitty people in your area. Sounds like the people in your area have no respect for the...
People throwing tires in the river? Sounds like pretty shitty people in your area. Sounds like the people in your area have no respect for the land and that it has to be mandated by the organization because dip shits cant clean up after them selfs. Sounds pretty terrible and my guess is its not about pollution its about littering. Are you going to pick up the tear offs after you'r done riding? no? Well then you shouldn't use them, its simple. To think that you can throw trash on the ground and not pick it up is ridiculous
I’m italian, and that’s not so rare, around the street there are piles of shit and nobody does nothing.
Anyway i’m surprised that they are banned in other countries, i didn’t know!
crusher773
12/22/2019 1:39pm
I think if I was a pro rider that could be up front making lots of money. I use what I want and pay the fine.
12/22/2019 1:43pm
davis224 wrote:
This got me thinking, would a helmet with a built in/exchangeable lens work? You could make it so you have a full field of vision, and...
This got me thinking, would a helmet with a built in/exchangeable lens work? You could make it so you have a full field of vision, and a larger area to be cleared by a roll of system. Has this ever been tried?
Sounds pretty undesirable to me. You’re then locked(pun not intended) into the helmet manufacturers lenses and roll off system
shuggs
12/22/2019 1:45pm
Sorry but I don’t get the issue with banning them.

If something cannot be recycled don’t use it!!

Tracks under pressure and removing them could help ease the burden
Doddy
12/22/2019 1:52pm
MZ193 wrote:

They shouldn't have to hire someone to clean up your mess. ...and why should other patrons have to pay to clean up your mess too?

Stadiums are cleaned up because some people are pigs and make a mess. They don't hire people to clean up, so you have the option to make a mess.....

As far as a pad/mat, I don't see how that makes a difference one way or the other?
12/22/2019 2:08pm
Here in Holland that rule has been in place for at least 5 years. It's a matter of time before they are banned worldwide.
12/22/2019 2:09pm
I know Hawkstone Park in the UK has banned tear offs. A few years ago there was talk the ACU was gonna ban tear offs but it was change last minute.

Always makes me chuckle whenever I watch SX & the riders are pulling tear offs left, right & centre but the bikes don’t have a bit of dirt on them Blink
moto9
12/22/2019 2:15pm Edited Date/Time 12/22/2019 2:17pm
Plastics are a real problem.
Micro-plastics are becoming more prevalent in our food and water sources.
It's in 90% of table salt, found at every level in the world's oceans, they are even finding it beef products.
They yet don't know what the long term effect are through ingesting micro plastics, my guess is the answer won't be good.
Problem is there's so much of it, it takes a long time to break down and it stays in a micro state forever.
I agree that tear offs are probably one hundred of a percent on a global scale (if that), my guess is someone in moto is trying to do their part.
scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
12/22/2019 3:22pm
Brad460 wrote:
there was a version of these, but they still took too long to break down, and they were not very clear either, making them not that good,

we have had tracks ban them for over 10 years here, but not at a national level yet, its just listed on the entry from for that event, a lot of our tracks are on farm land, and the stock can be back on them grazing the next day, so even if the tearoffs broke down in a week it would not be ok,
TerryB
12/22/2019 4:17pm
I’m no tree-hugger, but, when you already have the eco-nazi’s and do-gooders wanting to shut down off-road riding and MX, this just seems like common sense. Why give the opposition ammunition? To do otherwise is idiocy.
GODZILLA
12/22/2019 4:25pm
Tear offs have also been forbidden in the french beach races championship for quite a while.
Rather logical.

Post a reply to: Banned tear offs.

The Latest