Barcia 2018 - the rider or the bike?

plynn41
Regarding #51's successful turn-around this year, what do you think is a bigger factor: The changed bike, or the changed grey matter between Justin's ears?
|
bball35
1/29/2018 11:15am
All supercross guys have to do is sit on a bike and twist the throttle. Of course its just the bike.

The Shop

drt410
1/29/2018 11:30am
He was humbled having to ride his own bike at MEC. Add that along with him self admittedly growing up and not riding reckless, then put him back on a factory team after being humbled with a bike that most people agree is much better than any previous Yamaha and is just as good as any other bike out there now, especially at factory level, and you get this. A lot of it is mental and I think having to ride his own bike kicked his ass into gear saying I have to ride smart and step up my program and on top of that have fun again.

With Webb he chose the #2 thinking he was the shit before he ever even did 1 season, he expected it to just come to him easily, and now hes getting a wakeup call that the 450s are the best of the best and you cant just dick off and beat some scrubs anymore. These dudes are fast and they have lil 250 championships just like you. He thought he was just gonna bump up to 450s and stomp people so he didnt have that fire to push and grind harder than anyone. Now hes getting a wakeup call but hes behind on his program so its going to be hard to make up. I do expect him to get better as the year goes on and he realizes his career is on the line. We all knnow he has the talent he just has to be humble and drop the attitude because it put him where he is now. Think about him picking the #2. That him just saying hes already above these dudes on 450s before he even raced. Wrong mentality.
block75
1/30/2018 2:53am
Could it be that the new Yamaha responds best when riden the way barcia rides or has he stopped revving the guts out of them now
observer
1/30/2018 3:18am
All of the above probably, and it's amazing what needing a job badly, will do for some racers. ????
PJRAUS
1/30/2018 3:53am
Probably both, great to see him doing well in any case
1/30/2018 4:40am
Rider and machine must be in harmony at the highest level of our sport. In other words, both.
Donovan759
1/30/2018 5:14am
Both. At this point I'm really intrigued to know what Webb's deal is. Good to see that a rider can't blame the bike for once though.
c0ncEpT
1/30/2018 5:16am
A good rider on a sub par bike will still contest. A bad rider on the best bike will have very poor results.

He believes he can win this year and the results are showing it.

ALL of the factory bikes are good. The teams have the tools they need. The rider and mechanic must have a good working relationship to develop the bike.
js451
1/30/2018 5:21am
Both but mainly barcias attitude/gratitude
TXDirt
1/30/2018 5:27am
When you are felling great, you do better and bike feels amazing.

Not feeling good, lose the confidence, results suffer, and don’t like bike settings.
MikeyB35
1/30/2018 5:28am
He owes it all to racing the Marshfield Fair Supercross my friends and I put on. Cooper webb raced it too but he when he moved up to 450s he forgot all that the Marshfield sx taught him.
oldnwise
1/30/2018 6:33am
I am not a Barcia fan at all....BUT, he is the most improved- perhaps, in the history of the sport. has nothing to do with the bike. It is about his mindset.

Seems to me that JGR helps destroy riders careers. Maybe they need new management versus new riders?!?!? Not bashing anyone, just seems obvious.
kkawboy14
1/30/2018 6:37am
oldnwise wrote:
I am not a Barcia fan at all....BUT, he is the most improved- perhaps, in the history of the sport. has nothing to do with the...
I am not a Barcia fan at all....BUT, he is the most improved- perhaps, in the history of the sport. has nothing to do with the bike. It is about his mindset.

Seems to me that JGR helps destroy riders careers. Maybe they need new management versus new riders?!?!? Not bashing anyone, just seems obvious.
You know maybe JGR is to casual, to family ish. Maybe needs to be more businesslike and results driven? They could hire Ryno!
TXDirt
1/30/2018 6:58am
oldnwise wrote:
I am not a Barcia fan at all....BUT, he is the most improved- perhaps, in the history of the sport. has nothing to do with the...

kkawboy14 wrote:
You know maybe JGR is to casual, to family ish. Maybe needs to be more businesslike and results driven? They could hire Ryno!
I would disagree a bit. The rider can make it as "business" like as they want. Seems Barcia was the one who was too casual.

JGR may be a bit more relaxed environment, but the riders are already wound up tighter then a snare drum. So I would think a less pressurized environment would be a benefit.

As a rider, you still have to put in the work and be focused. When Barcia lost all his factory rides and went to JRG, I feel that in his mind he really did think JGR was a B level team (which you could argue either way if they were or were not).

So I think he wasn't really putting in the effort that JGR deserved and you could see that by the results. Now that he even lost that B level ride, I think he smartened up.
plynn41
1/30/2018 2:21pm
I think both factors are in play, and probably other things as well. But I have to say Barcia sounds a lot more mature in interviews than he ever did before, so I'm going to give the nod to the grey matter. If he keeps it up, he'll gain a fan here.
Mit12
1/30/2018 3:46pm
Barcia got to the point that no factory team wanted to deal with his drama on the track. He was a media nightmare. When he ended up without a ride he was forced to look in the mirror. He seems to have made the appropriate changes. Bikes do not win races riders do.
1/30/2018 3:53pm
80% bike and 20% head improvement after he got the opportunity, started riding the new bike, and gained some confidence
Mit12
1/30/2018 5:32pm
80% bike and 20% head improvement after he got the opportunity, started riding the new bike, and gained some confidence
This is not car racing, bike is no ware near 80% of a riders results.
1/30/2018 5:58pm
Mit12 wrote:
This is not car racing, bike is no ware near 80% of a riders results.
We can agree to disagree. I have been saying Barcia still had it for years while everyone else wrote him off. It was obvious he did not like the bike. Now he gets on a brand new bike in '18 and goes back to the front. He's also been talking about how much the new bike has helped it. Believe what you want.

Post a reply to: Barcia 2018 - the rider or the bike?

The Latest