Barcia/Tomac no astars helmet

So I noticed at A1 Tomac or Barcia where not wearing a astars helmet I was wondering Why? I'm assuming they are still under contract with their helmet sponsors from last year ?
|
ML512
Fantasy
54th
1/11/2019 8:06am Edited Date/Time 1/11/2019 8:08am
So I noticed at A1 Tomac or Barcia where not wearing a astars helmet I was wondering Why? I'm assuming they are still under contract with...
So I noticed at A1 Tomac or Barcia where not wearing a astars helmet I was wondering Why? I'm assuming they are still under contract with their helmet sponsors from last year ?
I "heard" that A-Stars tried to get Barcia on head-to-toe but he re-signed with Arai. I believe Tomac's Bell deal is still going and hasn't come up yet.

You also have to judge that Barcia is Arai's highest profile motocross athlete at the moment and Tomac is Bell's. Getting either away from those brands would cost a pretty penny. Does A-Stars need to invest that much in that segment right now or get good exposure with riders like Wilson, Plessinger, Romain Febvre, Rally Honda team, etc for a fraction of the price.
Kyle_McNab
1/11/2019 8:51am
If I was et or Barcia I’d would want to stay in what they got, astar doesn’t look the best. Arai is my favorite helmet
psg119
1/11/2019 9:03am
Kyle_McNab wrote:
If I was et or Barcia I’d would want to stay in what they got, astar doesn’t look the best. Arai is my favorite helmet
I don't know... I think it is a pretty solid lid. I think all those guys are loyal where the money is. As they should be considering how short lived the average moto career is.
Fresh
Fantasy
3312th
1/11/2019 9:08am
So I noticed at A1 Tomac or Barcia where not wearing a astars helmet I was wondering Why? I'm assuming they are still under contract with...
ML512 wrote:
I "heard" that A-Stars tried to get Barcia on head-to-toe but he re-signed with Arai. I believe Tomac's Bell deal is still going and hasn't come...
I "heard" that A-Stars tried to get Barcia on head-to-toe but he re-signed with Arai. I believe Tomac's Bell deal is still going and hasn't come up yet.

You also have to judge that Barcia is Arai's highest profile motocross athlete at the moment and Tomac is Bell's. Getting either away from those brands would cost a pretty penny. Does A-Stars need to invest that much in that segment right now or get good exposure with riders like Wilson, Plessinger, Romain Febvre, Rally Honda team, etc for a fraction of the price.
Will Plessinger move from Thor to Alpinestars in the future considering his helmet change from bell to A-stars?

The Shop

ML512
Fantasy
54th
1/11/2019 9:59am
ML512 wrote:
I "heard" that A-Stars tried to get Barcia on head-to-toe but he re-signed with Arai. I believe Tomac's Bell deal is still going and hasn't come...

Fresh wrote:
Will Plessinger move from Thor to Alpinestars in the future considering his helmet change from bell to A-stars?
He has a multi-year deal with Thor. A-Stars views gear deals differently. To the owner's words, he takes every dime made off of gear and just puts it back in riders contracts. They view the gear as a branding item to give more exposure to the Alpinestars Protects moto. They're more in it to sell boots, knee braces, chest protectors, helmets, etc.

By doing deals with Plessinger and Wilson, who have other gear deals, it allows them to give this view that it's cool to wear an A-Stars helmet and boots with different gear. Also, it works well with Plessinger as one of their main distributors is Parts Unlimited (long-time US exclusive before the WPS deal)...so showing that the helmet is cool to wear with Thor gear gives them a possible outlet to sell more helmets through Parts Unlimited as dealers might view buying the helmets to go along with Thor gear on their shelves. Thor is in between a mid-to-high-end helmet right now anyhow.
Spooner
1/11/2019 10:29am
I don’t think you’ll see many of the super top end guys running it solely because they can make so much more money on a stand alone helmet deal.
mxb2
1/11/2019 10:32am
Herlings doesn't wear an A Star helmet either?
Nope
ML512
Fantasy
54th
1/11/2019 10:47am
Team deal.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
1/11/2019 10:52am
ML512 wrote:

Getting Barcia away from Arai wouldn't cost too many pennies, if he were doing it for the sponsorship dollars. Arai is notoriously tight with the purse strings. (They even said for a long time that they never paid any athlete to use the brand! I'm not sure if that's still true.)

Most Arai guys wear them because they, like me, have put one on their head and thus ruined any other lid forever.
1/11/2019 11:57am
ML512 wrote:

I’m so glad they got a deal with Febvre.
1/11/2019 12:00pm
ML512 wrote:

Thanks Michael for getting back to me I appreciate it, and yea I figured money would be a factor whether or not they stayed and I don't blame them for following the money haha
Jt$
1/11/2019 12:45pm
Falcon wrote:
Getting Barcia away from Arai wouldn't cost too many pennies, if he were doing it for the sponsorship dollars. Arai is notoriously tight with the purse...
Getting Barcia away from Arai wouldn't cost too many pennies, if he were doing it for the sponsorship dollars. Arai is notoriously tight with the purse strings. (They even said for a long time that they never paid any athlete to use the brand! I'm not sure if that's still true.)

Most Arai guys wear them because they, like me, have put one on their head and thus ruined any other lid forever.
I would bet against many points in this post.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
1/11/2019 4:25pm
Falcon wrote:
Getting Barcia away from Arai wouldn't cost too many pennies, if he were doing it for the sponsorship dollars. Arai is notoriously tight with the purse...

Jt$ wrote:
Things may have changed, sure. But there was a time when Arai riders rode in those helmets because they were the best. They got the helmets for free, but did not earn salaries (maybe win bonuses??)

It sure seems like BS to me too, but it was true at one time.
Here's a quote from Motorcycle Daily in 2013:
Did you know that Arai does not pay sponsorship to professional racers? It simply provides a few free helmets each year (typically no more than six) to prominent racers who seek support. Foregoing huge amounts of sponsorship money, racers such as three-time F1 champ Sebastian Vettel choose to wear Arai. Not much more needs to be said.
https://www.motorcycledaily.com/2013/02/arai-gets-defiant-but-sticks-to…
ML512
Fantasy
54th
1/11/2019 4:29pm
Falcon wrote:

Jt$ wrote:
Agreed...
drt410
1/11/2019 5:13pm
Airoh. Greeeat helmets.
Helda
1/11/2019 5:32pm
None of these guys are wearing a helmet for free thats fir sure...
ocscottie
1/11/2019 5:42pm
Spooner wrote:
I don’t think you’ll see many of the super top end guys running it solely because they can make so much more money on a stand...
I don’t think you’ll see many of the super top end guys running it solely because they can make so much more money on a stand alone helmet deal.
That reminds me...i gave Magoo so much shit over wearing that POS Lazer helmet, but he came back with "40k a year, id wear a water bucket" LOL That dude was so classic. Still miss him every day.
1/11/2019 9:11pm
I've always wondered how gear deals are structured? What do the top guys get to wear certain brands of gear, helmets, or boots?

Jt$ or ML512, is that something that can be shared? Like a top 5 guy. Doesnt have to be so and so gets such and such, maybe rough band or idea.
trav389
1/11/2019 9:46pm
ML512 wrote:

Falcon wrote:

Arai would have been paying Mick Doohan BANK back in the 90s.

Post a reply to: Barcia/Tomac no astars helmet

The Latest