Barcia signed...

GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
2/8/2018 8:56am Edited Date/Time 2/8/2018 6:48pm
PR...

Monster Energy/Knich/Yamaha Factory Racing

Extends Justin Barcia’s Contract Through 2018

Cypress, CA - February 8, 2018 –Justin Barcia, who is currently ranked third in the 2018 Monster Energy Supercross Championship, has been signed by Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A. (YMUS), to continue racing his #51 Yamaha YZ450F for the Monster Energy/Knich/Yamaha Factory Racing team throughout the remainder of the Supercross season, as well as the 2018 AMA Pro Motocross Championship, which begins in late May. The announcement was made by Keith McCarty, Motorsports Racing Division Manager for YMUS.

According to Keith, “We’re delighted to extend Justin’s contract through the completion of both the 2018 supercross and motocross seasons. Justin’s results aboard the all-new 2018 YZ450F have been as great as we hoped they would be. We knew when we signed him to the original six-race deal and saw how well he rode the new bike in testing, that it was the start of something special. We believe in Justin, and all of us at Yamaha are looking forward to his continued success with our factory team.”

Justin commented, “When I first threw my leg over the 2018 factory YZ450F, I knew that I had a weapon with which to go for the Championship. I'm just super-happy and grateful to be with Monster Energy/Knich/Yamaha Factory Racing, and I’m glad that it’s now full steam ahead for the rest of the supercross season and through the motocross season, as well. I get along really well with everyone on the team, and knowing that I have the best team behind me gives me a ton of confidence!”

Justin and his Monster Energy/Knich/Yamaha Factory Racing teammate Cooper Webb (#2) are getting ready for Round 6 of the 2018 Monster Energy Supercross Championship, which is this weekend in San Diego.
|
Kenny Lingus
2/8/2018 9:07am
Kind of surprised it's not for '19 as well.
I think he will be even better outdoors.
GD2
Fantasy
854th
2/8/2018 9:07am
Woo!
2/8/2018 9:09am
Good for him. I hope he gets on the top step of the podium soon
Phantom 661
2/8/2018 9:21am
Glad for Barcia. Hope he continues to have solid top finishes. He's keeping things very interesting so far in SX this year. Love watching him come through the pack!

The Shop

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
2/8/2018 9:23am
I thought the same thing. But, if his results keep up through outdoors it could be good for him going into 2019. He could definitely negotiate for more money after this year. I hope he does really well outdoors and they sign him through 2020.
bball35
2/8/2018 9:26am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I thought the same thing. But, if his results keep up through outdoors it could be good for him going into 2019. He could definitely negotiate...
I thought the same thing. But, if his results keep up through outdoors it could be good for him going into 2019. He could definitely negotiate for more money after this year. I hope he does really well outdoors and they sign him through 2020.
I'm sure thats Yamaha saying that yea you have been good, but we need to see this through a whole year before we commit fully.
HenryA
2/8/2018 9:28am
Nice. Kinda hard to belive that Justin Barcia is Yamahas number 1 rider in 2018 if you just look back a year ago where he was, what he was saying about the blue pig and how he was riding. Great to see that he finally turned it all around.
motomike137
2/8/2018 9:29am Edited Date/Time 2/8/2018 9:31am
HELL YEAH! BAM BAM!

This whole thing was meant to be. Justin is going to tear it up this year!
MXD
2/8/2018 9:29am Edited Date/Time 2/8/2018 9:34am
I don't see much risk in them only signing him through this year and extending him at the end of the season. If it goes real well, Barcia will probably want to stay and that helps their negotiating position. If it goes poorly between now and then, they can cut bait and move on. The only scenario where this bites them is if he does so well that someone offers him another Brinks truck. But again, if it goes that well, after what he's been through, would he want to risk it by getting on another bike? After all, this isn't RC going to Suzuki or James to Yamaha. This is a guy who needs to get to the top. Not one who is already there and looking to maximize.
RandyS
2/8/2018 9:33am
A fill in rider could potentially win the most important title(or second depending on your view) in off road motorcycle racing. That will be a first unless someone in MXGP has that I don't know about.
RandyS
2/8/2018 9:34am
MXD wrote:
I don't see much risk in them only signing him through this year and extending him at the end of the season. If it goes real...
I don't see much risk in them only signing him through this year and extending him at the end of the season. If it goes real well, Barcia will probably want to stay and that helps their negotiating position. If it goes poorly between now and then, they can cut bait and move on. The only scenario where this bites them is if he does so well that someone offers him another Brinks truck. But again, if it goes that well, after what he's been through, would he want to risk it by getting on another bike? After all, this isn't RC going to Suzuki or James to Yamaha. This is a guy who needs to get to the top. Not one who is already there and looking to maximize.
I think they'll have a pretty good sized truck with Webb gone.
MXD
2/8/2018 9:36am
MXD wrote:
I don't see much risk in them only signing him through this year and extending him at the end of the season. If it goes real...
RandyS wrote:
Yet another reason why there is little risk in waiting to extend him. They'll possibly have money to compete.
RandyS
2/8/2018 9:41am
MXD wrote:
RandyS wrote:
MXD wrote:
Yet another reason why there is little risk in waiting to extend him. They'll possibly have money to compete.
Barcia needs to be on a series to series contract, don't let him get too comfortable.
tprice07
2/8/2018 9:46am
Looking ahead, is Brock Tickle's contract multi-year?
motomike137
2/8/2018 9:50am
How do we know that Yamaha is behind the one year contract? Maybe Justin wanted to keep his options open?
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
2/8/2018 9:50am
tprice07 wrote:
Nope. 2018 only.
dsmith
Fantasy
1294th
2/8/2018 9:51am

tprice07
2/8/2018 9:57am
tprice07 wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Nope. 2018 only.
Should get interesting. Webb's contract is up at the end of the year as well, right?

Will Marvin remain the #1 guy at KTM? He is approaching 30 years old. Seems like they will go after a contender for the #1 spot and keep Marvin on as a solid #2.
Motofinne
2/8/2018 10:01am
Perfect solution for Barcia. I assume that he will keep this level of riding through the whole year of 2018(if he stays healthy). He will probably finish 1-5 indoors and outdoors and he will be able to sign a really big deal for 2019 and forward with pretty much every team out there. I think all the factory teams have rides available after 2018 except Honda?
AJ565
2/8/2018 10:32am
What if they only offered him till the end of 2018 as Webb's contract is up as well and Yamaha pulls out for the factory effort and does like Suzuki did and have a team like JGR run their efforts?
kkawboy14
2/8/2018 10:34am
How do we know that Yamaha is behind the one year contract? Maybe Justin wanted to keep his options open?
My guess is it’s not so much about options but is about how much for 2019
2/8/2018 11:05am Edited Date/Time 2/8/2018 11:06am
I'm not surprised they didn't sign him for longer, he's been awesome so far this year but five good races doesn't make up for five years of mediocre results in my opinion. (Obviously used mediocre in a relative manner)
motomike137
2/8/2018 11:13am
I'm not surprised they didn't sign him for longer, he's been awesome so far this year but five good races doesn't make up for five years...
I'm not surprised they didn't sign him for longer, he's been awesome so far this year but five good races doesn't make up for five years of mediocre results in my opinion. (Obviously used mediocre in a relative manner)
This is a mediocre assessment.
2/8/2018 11:15am
I'm not surprised they didn't sign him for longer, he's been awesome so far this year but five good races doesn't make up for five years...
This is a mediocre assessment.
Yea I guess he had to race MEC on a privateer Honda and then take a fill in ride because of all those great results he got, right?
Lucifa.
2/8/2018 11:30am
Good result, he's certainly worked for it.
DownSouth
2/8/2018 11:33am
HenryA wrote:
Nice. Kinda hard to belive that Justin Barcia is Yamahas number 1 rider in 2018 if you just look back a year ago where he was...
Nice. Kinda hard to belive that Justin Barcia is Yamahas number 1 rider in 2018 if you just look back a year ago where he was, what he was saying about the blue pig and how he was riding. Great to see that he finally turned it all around.
A year ago he was riding the yellow pig which is actually fatter than Vitals mythical blue pig.
Lucifa.
2/8/2018 11:33am
Signed for 2018 only is good. His stock has gone up and I'm willing to bet other team have taken notice and doors could be opening in 2019.
wsc96
Fantasy
553rd
2/8/2018 12:23pm
I’d bet he was definitely pumped on it. Not even pumped or anything, but just felt good.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
360th
2/8/2018 12:31pm
HenryA wrote:
Nice. Kinda hard to belive that Justin Barcia is Yamahas number 1 rider in 2018 if you just look back a year ago where he was...
DownSouth wrote:
A year ago he was riding the yellow pig which is actually fatter than Vitals mythical blue pig.
Heavier? Yes. Fatter? No
51xc
2/8/2018 12:36pm
Motofinne wrote:
Perfect solution for Barcia. I assume that he will keep this level of riding through the whole year of 2018(if he stays healthy). He will probably...
Perfect solution for Barcia. I assume that he will keep this level of riding through the whole year of 2018(if he stays healthy). He will probably finish 1-5 indoors and outdoors and he will be able to sign a really big deal for 2019 and forward with pretty much every team out there. I think all the factory teams have rides available after 2018 except Honda?
JB said he wants to stay with yamaha until he retires which is fair enough because they gave him a chance when nobody else couldn't be bothered.

Post a reply to: Barcia signed...

The Latest