Barn Pros Racing Out for 2018

ML512
Fantasy
45th
Edited Date/Time 11/14/2017 5:54am
Well, that's one less truck and a few less rides for the 250 West Coast series in 2018.

https://motocross.transworld.net/news/barn-pros-racing-out-2018-season/
|
11/12/2017 9:20pm
hopefully taking away the semi's will help the teams out
ML512
Fantasy
45th
11/13/2017 6:31am
68 wrote:
The semi races or semi trucks? I'm confused by this statement.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
11/13/2017 6:41am
68 wrote:
ML512 wrote:
Pretty sure he means the semi races. Less wear and tear on the bikes, that much less to spend.

To my knowledge the Barn Pro's team only has one semi truck. Getting rid of the rig for something smaller would for sure help them save some money.

Help the teams out. Team was pluralized.

Getting rid of the semi races will help the teams out.

The Shop

Mini Elsinore
11/13/2017 6:44am Edited Date/Time 11/13/2017 6:44am
68 wrote:
ML512 wrote:
Nah, doing away with 7-figure haulers makes way too much business sense. Gonna keep big dogging like NECKCAR until all the sponsorship dough is gone....
pmshortt2
11/13/2017 7:29am
Curious to know how much a privateer spends racing 250f super cross. Are there any privateers that work somewhat of a full time job and race the 250 series?
ML512
Fantasy
45th
11/13/2017 7:47am
68 wrote:
ML512 wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Pretty sure he means the semi races. Less wear and tear on the bikes, that much less to spend. To my knowledge the Barn Pro's team...
Pretty sure he means the semi races. Less wear and tear on the bikes, that much less to spend.

To my knowledge the Barn Pro's team only has one semi truck. Getting rid of the rig for something smaller would for sure help them save some money.

Help the teams out. Team was pluralized.

Getting rid of the semi races will help the teams out.
250 class doesn't race semis, so I wasn't sue if that's what he meant.

Yes, Barn Pros had one semi and it wasn't a true built up one, more like an empty shell of an old drag race trailer with some extra cabinets thrown in it.

You'll see two more semis in the pits this year as TPJ has gotten their hands on two of them for 2018.

Just a general comment about semis vs box vans, not pointed at anyone, just something I thought I'd throw in here:

Sponsors really put a lot of weight into pit presence...what you're able to provide for professional look and the ability to connect with attendees. In today's sponsorship land, the ROI for a sticker on a jersey and bike doesn't go very far, brands want to see activation, stuff they can do with this people attending the races. Many teams that are sponsor driven, not OEM driven, need to carry displays, do giveaways and such at the races to collect emails and other personal information which can be reused as a marketing tool.

What's the general joe-blow more likely to visit? The box van in the back of the pits with a small ez-up and nothing to look at, or the big rigs near the front with contests, displays, more bikes to look at, more staff to chat with, etc.

While I do agree that some smaller teams need to look at the price of the exact setup they're using and if they can really make sense of the investment, ultimately the size of the pit presence and professionalism of it is a necessary evil if the team wants to expand and get to the top level. If the team is running off industry sponsorship and someone who's spending the money for the love of it, what they show up in isn't as big of a deal. If you're a team running on corporate dollars and have to show a sold ROI, then pit presence becomes very important.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
11/13/2017 7:48am
pmshortt2 wrote:
Curious to know how much a privateer spends racing 250f super cross. Are there any privateers that work somewhat of a full time job and race...
Curious to know how much a privateer spends racing 250f super cross. Are there any privateers that work somewhat of a full time job and race the 250 series?
I know of a couple on 250 West that have regular jobs and still race. One of which usually only practices a few times before West Coast starts and still makes every night show...plus a couple of mains a year while working full-time.
MelonFan123
11/13/2017 7:58am
what I still don't get is why wouldn't a regional team like Barn Pros do 450 west coast only instead of 250? So many of these lesser supported teams race the 250 class, where they have NO CHANCE of competing with the top factory supported 250Fs. Bike maintenance and mod costs are so much higher. For the same $ and resources they can be on a better playing field in the 450s for similar results.

bummer to see them out and hopefully they come back.
visser62
11/13/2017 7:58am
I imagine if a team did a box van up with a sweet wrap and a retro kind of look it would have a good presence.

Mini Elsinore
11/13/2017 8:12am Edited Date/Time 11/13/2017 8:12am
I agree that a box van may not be the landing spot, but the semi's are a huge expense. One can obtain the same "pit signage" by bringing an erectible sign. There are few sweet pete/kenny toy boxes that are somewhere in the middle. BTW, my kids always wanted to go to the lines that were giving away stickers. I don't remember them paying attention to haulers. They did, however, determine where all my discretionary income was spent. Stickers, man, it's all about free stickers! Wink
11/13/2017 8:16am
Semis are cheaper than you think...a modern sprinter will cost you more than a fully functional race Trailer and tractor

It's a driver and upkeep that can be pricey.

Plus the wrap for a semi isn't cheap...but a sponser should of course be covering that
lumpy790
11/13/2017 11:38am
We have been with Barn Pros for years and they are really good people.

After hearing about it this morning I popped the owner an email and he responded back and said they had lost a big sponsor so they had to pull out but he did say they will be back in 2019.

I have heard to many horror stories about teams still trying to do it and scrape in the funds from new sponsors and they fold up a couple races in so IMO Barn Pros did the right thing and earlier enough the riders and crew have time to work on another team.

If a team does not have a BIG Professional presence they do not attract the crowd.

ML512
Fantasy
45th
11/13/2017 11:47am
Semis are cheaper than you think...a modern sprinter will cost you more than a fully functional race Trailer and tractor It's a driver and upkeep that...
Semis are cheaper than you think...a modern sprinter will cost you more than a fully functional race Trailer and tractor

Plus the wrap for a semi isn't cheap...but a sponser should of course be covering that
I can lease a tractor and fairly modern race
trailer for Supercross, for around or less than a new Sprinter...which would still be blank inside.
11/13/2017 11:49am
Semis are cheaper than you think...a modern sprinter will cost you more than a fully functional race Trailer and tractor It's a driver and upkeep that...

I was talking with a dude from RCH at the Atlanta SX last year. He said that it was $150,000 to get their semi wrapped. He also mentioned that their outdoor sponsors were different than supercross, so they got it wrapped twice that year.

Bummer for Barn Pros, hopefully they can get back at it.
philG
11/13/2017 12:01pm
while its easy to say that semi's are an extravagance, ML512 is bang on the money,

Back in the day , i was a weekend warrior for a decent UK Superbike Team, used to do set up and tear down, a bit of spanner work on the friday before the proper guys turned up ,and then 2 days looking after guests.. and we had loads.

The team started with a few backers at £5k a pop, one owner/rider, and 2 techs, and grew to 3 riders in 2 classes, with a proper catered hospitality and all the trimmings. They pulled money in when the Factory Yamaha effort ran out of a converted horsebox, and struggled for money.. we never gave out free tickets, just went to the gates and paid for guests and visitors as they arrived, so we didnt spend £3k on passes that nobody used cos it rained and they never came.

Great business model, each £5k guy got the same treatment after 5 years as a guy who put in 5 times that , because they were the foundation.. i even think they turned down a full budget sponsor , because they didnt want all their eggs in one basket , and to lose a lot of loyal sponsors in the bargain.
11/13/2017 12:11pm

ML512 wrote:
I can lease a tractor and fairly modern race
trailer for Supercross, for around or less than a new Sprinter...which would still be blank inside.
My point exactly
11/13/2017 12:12pm

I was talking with a dude from RCH at the Atlanta SX last year. He said that it was $150,000 to get their semi wrapped. He...
I was talking with a dude from RCH at the Atlanta SX last year. He said that it was $150,000 to get their semi wrapped. He also mentioned that their outdoor sponsors were different than supercross, so they got it wrapped twice that year.

150k is really high. 15k is more accurate, my graphics guy does the munn rig and has previously done some other team semis, 20-25k

11/13/2017 12:24pm

I was talking with a dude from RCH at the Atlanta SX last year. He said that it was $150,000 to get their semi wrapped. He...

150k is really high. 15k is more accurate, my graphics guy does the munn rig and has previously done some other team semis, 20-25k

Now that you mention it he did say it was $150k every time they had to rebrand. So that probably included much more than just the wrap. Or maybe they just over spent on everything and that’s why they had to shut down.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
11/13/2017 12:34pm

Now that you mention it he did say it was $150k every time they had to rebrand. So that probably included much more than just the...
Now that you mention it he did say it was $150k every time they had to rebrand. So that probably included much more than just the wrap. Or maybe they just over spent on everything and that’s why they had to shut down.
150k to re-wrap the truck and trailer is way over priced. Even if they did new awning and skirting, truck and trailer it wouldn't even be close to that.

15k for a wrap is more reasonable. Race trailers go for something like 250k. Can't see it being 150k for a wrap. If the company is charging that for a rig a regular sprinter van wrap would be like 30k. Makes no sense. If people are paying them that kind of money and they continuously get work, good for them but people going there are idiots.

Might be time for me to get in the graphic/wrap business.
Polski934
11/13/2017 12:35pm Edited Date/Time 11/14/2017 5:54am

Derek sounds a little more accurate.

We pay an exhibit company (typically higher than a sign shop) $15-20k to wrap our semi trailers, and $5-7k for the tractor. Tractors are about $140k new, and these teams get a lot of years out of them then pass them around to the smaller teams. Featherlite and Kentucky Race Trailers are expensive new but reasonable on the used market, and you know these teams aren't all buying all new stuff every season. I've seen that Volvo pulling the Kawi trailer around for a decade.

Just because it is 53ft long doesn't make it that unreasonable, like a Sprinter...lol
pmshortt2
11/13/2017 8:52pm
pmshortt2 wrote:
Curious to know how much a privateer spends racing 250f super cross. Are there any privateers that work somewhat of a full time job and race...
ML512 wrote:
I know of a couple on 250 West that have regular jobs and still race. One of which usually only practices a few times before West...
I know of a couple on 250 West that have regular jobs and still race. One of which usually only practices a few times before West Coast starts and still makes every night show...plus a couple of mains a year while working full-time.
That’s awesome to hear. Much respect to those guys.

Post a reply to: Barn Pros Racing Out for 2018

The Latest