Belgium, and the decline of Motocross

stillwelding
Edited Date/Time 8/23/2020 12:46pm
Flanders

“I started racing in the 1960s, and even back then there was an argument about where the sport of motocross originated. The British claim they started it. The French say the British are crazy and that they started it. It should be noted that motorcycles were raced on dirt since the day they were invented [largely because there weren’t that many paved roads], but the invention of motocross came much later than the 1920s and 1930s as the British and French claim. I’m Belgian, and I was always told that motocross began in the town of Leuven, Belgium, after the Second World War. The original motocross track was in an area known as Sweet Waters"

|
8/22/2020 5:31pm
Permanent Training tracks are pretty much non existing in Belgium it's horribly sad. For the good 15 years i raced 99% of it was done in Netherlands cause it was simply closer and easier to do so. (10km to go to multiple tracks compared to 100km+)

Everts shared a image of the general Belgium EU area with all permanent training tracks on it, image will speak for itself.

DA498
8/22/2020 5:40pm
Permanent Training tracks are pretty much non existing in Belgium it's horribly sad. For the good 15 years i raced 99% of it was done in...
Permanent Training tracks are pretty much non existing in Belgium it's horribly sad. For the good 15 years i raced 99% of it was done in Netherlands cause it was simply closer and easier to do so. (10km to go to multiple tracks compared to 100km+)

Everts shared a image of the general Belgium EU area with all permanent training tracks on it, image will speak for itself.

I’m not understanding, there are no training tracks now?

Is this image of training tracks in the past or present? Either way, Holy Crap!
segers
Fantasy
2279th
8/22/2020 10:17pm
DA498 wrote:

This image sadly is from current situation,5 training tracks in total 😉

The Shop

roninho
8/23/2020 12:11am
Permanent Training tracks are pretty much non existing in Belgium it's horribly sad. For the good 15 years i raced 99% of it was done in...

DA498 wrote:

Its from now. All the tracks you see are not in belgium, but over the border (france, netherlands, germany). The
area with no dots is Belgium.

25 years ago the density of tracks in belgium was comparable to the netherlands.
rongi#401
8/23/2020 1:04am
Dam I wish we had that many tracks in California!!!, suck about Belgium not having many anymore
WCRider
Fantasy
2287th
8/23/2020 1:20am
Belgium is a brain-dead country in my opinion.
8/23/2020 2:27am
After the 2nd world war ? Mmmm
Canada Heights in Sidcup , Kent ,UK got its name from the Canadian air force staying there during the 2nd world war and racing dirt bikes there.

So I reckon the Canadians invented it?

I think Motocross has been around since before the 2nd world war but was probably called scrambling
Who knows ?Smile
8/23/2020 2:46am
It is a shame how so many countries with a Motocross heritage one way or another have had there tracks shut down , usually by people moving next/ near to then complaining about the noise etc .
Maybe land searches before property purchase should be more clear and used when tree huggers complain . In the UK we have had people move next to churches and complain about the Bells on Sunday!! Huh
keinz
8/23/2020 3:40am

Belgium

brocster
8/23/2020 7:54am
That is insane. When you say training tracks, do you mean practice tracks? Private(rider owned)? Non sanctioned? Local race tracks? No matter, the sheer amount of those surrounding is astounding. Even if you only could ride the 10 closest to you would be great.

Back in Louisiana if we had 15 tracks in total over my lifetime of 51 yrs that would be a stretch. Hell 5 in operation at any one given time would be a stretch. Driving 50-60 miles to get to one track alone is the norm out there.
D_L118
8/23/2020 8:45am Edited Date/Time 8/23/2020 8:45am
brocster wrote:
That is insane. When you say training tracks, do you mean practice tracks? Private(rider owned)? Non sanctioned? Local race tracks? No matter, the sheer amount of...
That is insane. When you say training tracks, do you mean practice tracks? Private(rider owned)? Non sanctioned? Local race tracks? No matter, the sheer amount of those surrounding is astounding. Even if you only could ride the 10 closest to you would be great.

Back in Louisiana if we had 15 tracks in total over my lifetime of 51 yrs that would be a stretch. Hell 5 in operation at any one given time would be a stretch. Driving 50-60 miles to get to one track alone is the norm out there.
You guys should really come visit and watch the Belgian amateur scene. Your jaws will be dropped.
It's really bad...
lestat
8/23/2020 9:21am

The contrast is shocking
8/23/2020 9:36am
D_L118 wrote:
You guys should really come visit and watch the Belgian amateur scene. Your jaws will be dropped.
It's really bad...
Really,what about the AMPL,there was always a large number (+300) during race weekend?I have great memories of a national championship in the late 80‘s in Borgloon.Jobé raced in the 125 class.All 3 classes (125,250,500) were staked with 40 riders in each class.In the 90‘s,the number of the inter riders dropped and the classes were put together.It was the beginning of te End.SadSadSad
Eric_Johnson
8/23/2020 11:31am
Was speaking about this exact thing with Jago Geerts yesterday.

Bidirella
8/23/2020 11:43am
This thread made me open up google maps and try to find the old tracks like Yamaha land (old one) and Neeroeteren.

I don’t know when the satelliet maps where updated but the Neeroeteren track layout is still easy to find.
Yamaha land is spotted the location and the house there.

Been a shame both tracks are gone, both where amazing.

Old Yamaha land got something like a White House/castle next to the track if I’m remembering right? Same track also got a big table into the woods? It’s been along time but nobody jumped it that weekend when we where there. Must be around 99/2000. Mayby some Belgiums Vital members knows it.
D_L118
8/23/2020 12:21pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2020 12:24pm
Bidirella wrote:
This thread made me open up google maps and try to find the old tracks like Yamaha land (old one) and Neeroeteren. I don’t know when...
This thread made me open up google maps and try to find the old tracks like Yamaha land (old one) and Neeroeteren.

I don’t know when the satelliet maps where updated but the Neeroeteren track layout is still easy to find.

Old Yamaha land got something like a White House/castle next to the track if I’m remembering right? Same track also got a big table into the woods? It’s been along time but nobody jumped it that weekend when we where there. Must be around 99/2000. Mayby some Belgiums Vital members knows it.
Yup, I think the castle is still there. Even the building where the old shop and bar was is still there.
It's a something of a whinery now.
I've got my first track experience in Motoland, on a PW 80.
Unfortunately,I never got to ride the main track, by the time i was old enough it was allready closed.
They also never closed down because of rain/mud.
I do remember that big table. I don't think i've seen many riders jumping it...
8/23/2020 12:26pm
Bidirella wrote:
This thread made me open up google maps and try to find the old tracks like Yamaha land (old one) and Neeroeteren. I don’t know when...

You are fully correct with your information about Yamahaland, it used to be in a place called Tielt-Winge. I've only been there a couple times late 90's and rode the kids track lol.. Apperently they grow Grapes now at that location. Track was seen as really dangerous cause of it's extreme jumps (big tables) from what i remember. Also remember the big castle on the compound.

D_L118
8/23/2020 12:30pm
Bonanza69 wrote:
Really,what about the AMPL,there was always a large number (+300) during race weekend?I have great memories of a national championship in the late 80‘s in Borgloon.Jobé...
Really,what about the AMPL,there was always a large number (+300) during race weekend?I have great memories of a national championship in the late 80‘s in Borgloon.Jobé raced in the 125 class.All 3 classes (125,250,500) were staked with 40 riders in each class.In the 90‘s,the number of the inter riders dropped and the classes were put together.It was the beginning of te End.SadSadSad
I never rode AMPL, i think they're the only federation that still have a lot of great tracks on their schedule.
The other federations have lost some great tracks the past 15-20 years...
With the lack of practice tracks, I'm actually surprised we have still a lot of riders in Belgium.
Bidirella
8/23/2020 12:46pm
DL118/Sandwarrior, cool story guys! My memoryland is still OK it looks like haha! Sometimes you wish you could go back in time right?

Crazy to think it went so south for a country like Belgium. The golden era of Everts/Smets and all the other stars and all track where closing down and disappear. Really sad for every MX rider and fans.

Hopefully Geerts and Liam Everts can turn some things around with wins and titles in the future and open some doors....

Post a reply to: Belgium, and the decline of Motocross

The Latest