Best MX Tires

tscal3
Looking to replace the tires on the 2014 CRF450R I just bought. I do mainly track riding, no racing so im not looking to replace the tires often. I ran Dunlop MX32s on my previous bike but they seemed to wear pretty quickly. Suggestions?
|
zehn
3/1/2018 5:31pm
much ty
Drtbykr
3/1/2018 6:17pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2018 6:18pm
Miss Lynn. Magic compound.
3/1/2018 6:34pm
My unbiased opinion based on trying a bunch of brands:

Bridgestone Battlecross X30's. They last almost twice as long as the Dunlops and provide consistently predictable traction.

The Shop

Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2058th
3/1/2018 6:38pm
Michelin starcross. Lose a little in traction to Dunlop and pirelli but far outweigh that loss in the extended life.
MPJC
Fantasy
592nd
3/1/2018 6:39pm
Michelin Starcross 5 are quite good. I don't know that they're better than the MX32 though.
DTR830
Fantasy
1057th
3/1/2018 7:23pm
Starcross soft front & medium rears...

I can get them cheaper if anyone needs some mxpro117@gmail.com

I can get all tires but Michelin is discounted the best
ProKawi24
3/1/2018 7:47pm
I always stuck with Bridgestone. Once I used a Dunlop front as a spare and ended up with a broken wrist so a new superstition began lol.
3/1/2018 8:26pm
Honestly the Artrax from motosport is a fantastic tire for the price. If you’re buying a used bike and asking for advice here I’d assume you’re not the speediest at the track, so you won’t notice the difference between tires.

Buy what fits your budget. Best to one person is worst to another.
3/1/2018 9:05pm
My unbiased opinion based on trying a bunch of brands: Bridgestone Battlecross X30's. They last almost twice as long as the Dunlops and provide consistently predictable...

Bridgestone Battlecross X30's. They last almost twice as long as the Dunlops and provide consistently predictable traction.
+1 on the x30's, I love mine.
3/1/2018 9:28pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2018 9:30pm
Honestly the Artrax from motosport is a fantastic tire for the price. If you’re buying a used bike and asking for advice here I’d assume you’re...
Honestly the Artrax from motosport is a fantastic tire for the price. If you’re buying a used bike and asking for advice here I’d assume you’re not the speediest at the track, so you won’t notice the difference between tires.

I'm using those tyres here in Oz, they are sold as lnnova here, excellent value. l do modify the tread a little on the rears; gives more sideways traction at half lean.
PJRAUS
3/1/2018 9:30pm
Yeah...I'm not sold on the hype regarding Dunlop mx3s. Keep reading, keep having people tell me that they are the best tyre , works great on everything....
I rode at ride park the other week and my 450 front end just scated out from me in a 3rd gear, stand up on the pegs slight elbow bend...the track was stil moist but a little hard packed and shiny just there..mx3s tyres on the bike..
I've never trusted the typical soft terrain ,tall knob, stiff rubber wide spaced knobs ( lots of sea to land ratio ) on any kind of hard terrain...
Gonna go back to that track soon and do some comparison testing for my own benefit..have two spare sets of wheels for my 450.
Might start a thread about it when I've done it..
Plugga
3/2/2018 1:06am
Pirelli Scorpion MX32.
JB 19
3/2/2018 1:51am
Pirelli. The original MX32. Hooks even when it's rounded off.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1957th
3/2/2018 2:34am
Best or best for the money is two different questions! Dunlop is the best IMO, both the Starcross 5 and the Pirelli are good, just not quite as good as the Dunlop IMO!
chump6784
3/2/2018 2:43am
For a tyre that lasts well and grips will i like the pirelli mx xtra. Pirelli designed them to be more durable than their terrain specific tyres while still offering a good amount of grip.
I ride all surfaces and other than sand tracks these work well
bvm111
3/2/2018 4:44am Edited Date/Time 3/2/2018 4:46am
My unbiased opinion based on trying a bunch of brands: Bridgestone Battlecross X30's. They last almost twice as long as the Dunlops and provide consistently predictable...

+1 on the x30's, I love mine.
X2 on the X30 Bridgestone... I just ordered 2 rear and a front from RMATV for pretty cheap plus a 25 dollar a tire rebate from Bridgestone!

Where I ride the X30 is very predictable and the front tracks very well through corners. I had a wheelset with new 403/404 combo and the difference is night and day.... the X30 are far superior to the older designs
Taotech
3/2/2018 4:53am
chump6784 wrote:
For a tyre that lasts well and grips will i like the pirelli mx xtra. Pirelli designed them to be more durable than their terrain specific...
For a tyre that lasts well and grips will i like the pirelli mx xtra. Pirelli designed them to be more durable than their terrain specific tyres while still offering a good amount of grip.
I ride all surfaces and other than sand tracks these work well
Same. We run pirelli mx xtra rears for good performance and wear. For the front I am running a dunlop for now, its pretty good. Before the dunlop I had a michelin soft front and it was awesome, very confidence inspiring.
motomike894
3/2/2018 5:46am
For best performance I have found nothing that works better than Dunlop MX3, especially on the front in all conditions.

If looking for cheaper route, DURO's are the best cheaper tire I have ever used, they are the exact pattern and the old Bridgestone 401/402 and 601/602 and they aren't heavy and hold up decent just not the best traction, especially on the front.

I bought a new 18 RMZ450 and the front Bridgestone tire is garbage compared to a MX3, the rear seems ok, I am putting Dunlops on it soon.
3/2/2018 5:50am

This
tscal3
3/2/2018 11:51pm
Honestly the Artrax from motosport is a fantastic tire for the price. If you’re buying a used bike and asking for advice here I’d assume you’re...

Gonna go ahead and NOT take your advice because you seem to think that because someone is asking for suggestions on a public forum, they are not capable of differentiating one tire from another. Ive been riding for 15 years, sir. I can tell the difference between tires. I'm not gonna drop money on something without hearing about other people's experiences with different providers of the product.
PJRAUS
3/3/2018 12:14am
For best performance I have found nothing that works better than Dunlop MX3, especially on the front in all conditions. If looking for cheaper route, DURO's...
For best performance I have found nothing that works better than Dunlop MX3, especially on the front in all conditions.

If looking for cheaper route, DURO's are the best cheaper tire I have ever used, they are the exact pattern and the old Bridgestone 401/402 and 601/602 and they aren't heavy and hold up decent just not the best traction, especially on the front.

I bought a new 18 RMZ450 and the front Bridgestone tire is garbage compared to a MX3, the rear seems ok, I am putting Dunlops on it soon.

Look I'm not criticising or saying u r wrong..you are happy with that front tyre,..
I like that front tyre in soft ,moist conditions...but I absolutely hate them once the track dries out and packs down..
I got tipped on my head recently with a high speed front end washout on a slightly sweeping turn...I could not fathom why my front end did that to me...I'm blaming that mx3s skating across a hard shiny patch..
Reality is that it was probably my poor riding technique..
Jrewing
3/3/2018 2:41am Edited Date/Time 3/3/2018 2:44am
For best performance I have found nothing that works better than Dunlop MX3, especially on the front in all conditions. If looking for cheaper route, DURO's...

PJRAUS wrote:
For best performance I have found nothing that works better than Dunlop MX3, especially on the front in all conditions. Look I'm not criticising or saying...

Look I'm not criticising or saying u r wrong..you are happy with that front tyre,..
I like that front tyre in soft ,moist conditions...but I absolutely hate them once the track dries out and packs down..
I got tipped on my head recently with a high speed front end washout on a slightly sweeping turn...I could not fathom why my front end did that to me...I'm blaming that mx3s skating across a hard shiny patch..
Reality is that it was probably my poor riding technique..
No it wouldve been the transition knob twisting or folding onthe harder surface. no pros runs a mx52 for hard ground they use the modified mx3s with tie-bar on the transition knob with castle in castle knobs.
Mx32 I like best but mx3s in sand is my fave
Pirelli 32 wear quickest but it's their race compound. Designed for grip not endurance. Pirelli extra is their training tyre for more mileage.
tempura
3/3/2018 4:41am
My favourite fronts are MX3S and Starcross5 soft.
I've used them both extensively in all conditions. They work for me.
I have a buddy who rides with the MX52 front..he likes it.. I hate that damn front tire, guaranteed to wash out for me.
motomike894
3/3/2018 4:47am
I will disagree, the MX3 front tire works well in everything for me and anyone else I know too, the rear is same but if use that rear tire on some real hard pack too much and it wont last very long, the front seems to do ok either way durability wise, but the only time I am ever really riding anything that is extremely hard pack is if I am racing fair races or my buddies track sometimes when hasn't rained forever and that's not often.

I have thought about trying Pirellis, I have never used them but I can get Dunlops cheaper so will probably just stick to them.
racerx317
3/6/2018 10:04pm
Dunlop is fantastic for two weekends max for us depending on track conditions... once the edge is even slightly gone, they’re done.

I’ve heard the newer Pirellis are good but we weren’t a fan of them a few years ago because of the soft sidewall gave a wallowing kinda feel in the turns.

Bridgestones are my 2nd choice. Solid tire, wears well, even with an edge gone they still hook up fairly well with no sidewall flex.

Best tire we’ve ever used... Kenda by far! Hook up with or without an edge, solid sidewall for a great planted feel. Best all around tires are their Washougal, more wet conditions or light to med Sand is the Southwick and then deep sand or mud is their Sand ama legal paddle tire. Great tires.
Radical
Fantasy
2384th
3/6/2018 11:37pm
Plugga wrote:
Pirelli Scorpion MX32.
The MX32 Pro rear tires are awesome!
The traction is great, and you can lean the bike with confidence.

Unfortunately, they don't make the right size for a YZ125.

Post a reply to: Best MX Tires

The Latest